“Incredible Staff, Resort and Experience”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Rochester, Vermont
“Incredible Staff, Resort and Experience”
Reviewed 22 February 2008

Review by Susie and Jack of snowy Vermont!
This will be a short one as we are leaving tomorrow to return to the Whitehouse, that should give you some sort of idea of the incredible beauty, loving and attentive staff and feeling of seclusion and privacy that no other resort will give you. We truly had the time of our lives and can't wait to return. We will write a more comprehensive review after this next trip but we had to let everyone know that this is truly an incredible vacation destination. What makes this resort so great are the loving, smiling and happy staff. US hotels could learn a lot from the Jamaican people. We are so impressed with the way they treated us that it was the defining factor as to where we would go. We agree with the people from Ontario that said "some people would not be happy at any resort" as that is something we say to each other each time we read a negative review about the Whitehouse. We hesitated writing this review because we really didn't want the word to get out how great this place was and not be able to get a reservation ourselves!!! It is truly that magnificent. We will give you a full report in a couple of weeks. All it takes to get a smile is to smile yourself. If you treat the staff like lowly servants, you will never get the opportunity to find out the true loving nature of the Jamaican people, that is what it is all about. We are returning because we loved the resort, but the resort is nothing without the wonderful people who work there and make you feel like family.

• Liked — The privacy, the staff, the beautiful Jamaican people and the sun, of course!
  • Disliked — Leaving, it broke our hearts to say goodbye!
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
11 Thank VermontSusie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,139)
Oregon
Reviewed 19 February 2008

This is a long review, but like many of you I am addicted to Trip Advisor and read every little review on here before we left on our trip. I hope I answer some questions.

One thing I must say is that we used Talk of the Town Tours for the two tours mentioned below. I recommend them highly. Sienna was so knowledgeable and kind. This was the second time we used them and will not use anyone else for tours or island information.

My husband, myself and another couple ( friends of ours ) stayed at Sandals Whitehouse from January 25-Feb 2 2008.

I have to say that this was the absolute best vacation we have ever been on. This was our 5th stay at various Sandals/Beaches resorts. After this stay at Whitehouse, I really don’t think we will have any desire to stay at a different Sandals. It was that good!

We landed at MBJ airport about 1:30 in the afternoon. We cleared customs and immigration very easily and quickly. Made our way to the Sandals lounge, it was very nice and the Sandals’ representatives were extremely helpful. The rep called Island Hoppers for us and while we waited we put our luggage on the Sandals shuttle to the resort. Island Hoppers picked us up by about 2:00 and took us to the terminal to board the chopper. It was only about a 2 min drive. Island Hoppers were ready for us and after some quick paper work we were shown to the helicopter and boarded. Tommy was our pilot. The ride to the resort was quick, about 20 min.

Once we arrived at the resort, we were greeted at the helipad by Rowe. He took us right past the main lobby and gave us a quick “golf cart” tour of the grounds. After the tour we were taken to the concierge suite service office. While waiting for our paperwork Rowe made us drinks. We were then shown to our rooms.

Our rooms were in the Dutch Village. We were both upgraded to Butler Suites...2102 and 2103. IMO this is the best local on the whole resort. We were 10 feet from the sand and about 30ft from the water.

The room was nice. It consisted of a living room and separate bedroom. The air-condition worked well and the ceiling fans circulated the air nicely. The bathroom was big, sunk in Jacuzzi tub was nice as was the huge walk in shower.

I got pretty sick while there....bronchitis. Had to see the doctor when we were in Negril and was able to get some antibiotics. By the time we got back to WH after the day trip I was miserable. Ainsley, our butler was there and took such good care of me. My husband and friends went out to dinner and Ainsley brought me soup and hot tea. He also checked on me a few time through out the evening. The next day I was still pretty miserable so I chose not to go and hike the falls, but insisted that the others go. They had a great time and said YS Falls were beautiful. They said the Pelican Bar was nice, but wouldn’t do it again. The water wasn’t as clear as the Bahamas. ( We compare everything to Exuma Cay in the Bahamas) While they were gone, Ainsley again took excellent care of me. He booked me a eucalyptus facial at the spa. While I was at the spa he set up my beach chair in the water with a little table next to it and an umbrella if I needed it. I went from the spa directly to that chair and sat there all day. The treatment at the spa was just what I needed to relax me. I could breathe again for a little while. While at the beach Ainsley brought me hot tea, soup and fruit all day long. He checked on me all the time. Not just calling me on the personal cell phone you get from your butlers, but in person. He made sure I had plenty of water to drink. Having butler service made all the difference for us on this trip.

Here is a little run down on our trip:

Arrived on Friday and had dinner in the room from Giuseppe’s. It was very good.

Saturday we all had spa treatments in the morning. The girls had body polishes and reflex ology and the guys had reflex ology. After the treatments we all went to our reserved beach chairs and lounged for the day. They guys spent some time at the Italian pool bar.

Saturday night was my friends 40th birthday and we had a little birthday party on the beach...the candlelight beach dinner. This was very nice. This was also when I spiked the first fever!

Sunday we just hung out at the beach all day, I was pretty miserable, but made the best of it. Sunday night we went to Arizona’s for dinner. This was our favorite restaurant. I had the chicken tortilla soup and it was excellent. The fajitas and the steaks were very good also.

Monday was the day trip to Negril..

Tuesday was the Falls trip.

Wed we hung out at our reserved beach chairs all day and then went to the SSG dinner which was a lot of fun and the food was great. Our friends had dinner at Jasmines and they said it was very good.

Thursday we hung out at the beach again all day. Then went to the spa and had 4 handed massages. ( wouldn’t recommend this treatment. It was very expensive and really wasn’t worth the money, I would have rather had another body polish and facial.) After the treatments and the amazing showers we went back our rooms where our butler had arranged dinner for 4 on our patios from Giuseppe’s! This was the best way to end the day. The best night we had the whole week! I recommend that you do this if you have the butler service.

Friday was our last full day. We went snorkeling in the morning. Wasn’t too impressed, but I wasn’t feeling 100% either. The others thought it was okay. Then we took a walk down the beach beyond the French Village. It really is beautiful down there...IMO a perfect place for a little Beaches. Dinner Friday was at Eleanors. We weren’t overly impressed with this dinner.

Saturday morning we shopped a bit and relaxed. Put our luggage on the shuttle and went to lunch. Then it was time to catch our golf cart and head to the helipad and leave this amazing place.

I am not a night person, but my husband and my friends husband are. They stayed out late almost every night and had a great time. My hubby loved the Martini bar. They both drank a lot of Jamaican smiles. Us girls were content to go to bed early and wake up to the beach. My friend used the gym most every morning and said it was well appointed. My husband played tennis a few times. Unfortunately I was too sick to do much working out.

The pastry café is wonderful...try the made to order crepes...very good.

The beach was beautiful. We are beach people and would have liked to spend more time in the water, but there were a lot of Jelly fish and a few stingrays. There was also a lot of seaweed and rocks in front of the Dutch village. On the point between the two buildings of the Dutch village the water was a bit clearer. Another thing that we missed was being able to put our floaties in the beach water...we enjoyed doing this in Negril.

The Italian pool was very large and noisy, but everyone seemed to be having a lot of fun there.

The Dutch pool was very quiet and relaxing. There is a bar there, but no icey drinks.

The French pool was also very active. We didn’t spend too much time down there. We weren’t impressed with Bluefields either.

As mentioned above, this was the best trip ever, even though I was sick. I can’t wait for our next “mommy daddy only” trip. We will no doubt go back to WH. The Butler service was a definite plus and a definite must for us next time. You do have to tip the Butler at the end of the week, but it was the best money we spent on the trip. The staff, the grounds and the atmosphere is over the top. We have traveled a lot and I have to say that I like to be pampered while on vacation and this trip was above and beyond anything I could have imagined!

I know this review is long. Sorry, I hope I haven’t bored you while I relived my vacation. I am happy to answer any questions you may have. If you choose WH you will not regret it.

• Liked — Every thing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
9 Thank Rodiree
redneck in kansas
Reviewed 18 February 2008

This was our second trip to the Whitehouse - our fourth Sandals trip. We loved it so much in '06, we decided to return in '07. Once again, the sights, service, food, fun.....was unparallelled. The only complaint we had was the supposed "upgrade". If they aren't going to truly upgrade us, please don't bother to say you are. We enjoyed the water sports - sailing, skiing, water trikes, kyaaking everyday right after our walk along the beach. The nightly activities were enjoyable and it was nice to cap off fun at the piano bar with an Irish coffee from the pastry shop. We enjoyed meeting up with friends that were also returning to Whitehouse, and seeing our friends on the staff again. We'll be back!

Stayed November 2007
15 Thank redneckinkansas
Brights Grove, Ontario
Reviewed 18 February 2008

Just returned from a 12 day vacation at the Sandals Whitehouse resort Feb 3rd to the 14th.

As a well traveled person and frequent contributor to Trip Advisor I like many others look to this site to gain factual information about a resort or hotel that will be useful for any future planned visits. Based on some of the negative feedback posted recently by people who obviously would not be happy with any resort anywhere I would not let that persuade you to not choosing Sandals Whitehouse for your next vacation. These people were painfully obvious during our stay and it is their misfortune for finding fault with this gem in the Caribbean.

In this review I will try to point out helpful facts that would benefit you before traveling to the SW resort without being repetitive of other typical reviews on Trip Advisor.

Sangster Int’l Airport Montego Bay

Airport is currently going through some renovations so the walk from the gate is very long. If you have any walking disabilities there are several wheel chairs available.
Customs can be painstakingly long if several other flights arrive at the same time. Wait time can be 20 to 50 minutes. Once you have cleared Customs watch for your luggage that can be scattered in several areas as your suitcases will already been removed from the conveyor and placed on the floor. After clearing Customs with your luggage the Sandals lounge is on the left hand side of the arrival hall facing the parking lot. There you will be able to relax in comfortable chairs and enjoy a free beer or beverage before boarding transportation to the resort. Usual wait time is 15 -20 minutes. There will be a porter to take your luggage to the bus (about 400 feet). Tips are expected.
The drive to the resort, well it is what it is. It can be 90 minutes to two hours depending on traffic and road conditions. Look at it this way, you are getting a free tour of the countryside which is an excellent way to start your vacation. The driver does not work for Sandals so a tip is also expected. Remember these drivers do this sometimes 3 times daily, 6 days a week so they know the road and what to expect from other traffic.

Arrival at Sandals Whitehouse

On arrival, claim your luggage and leave same with the porter at the front door to the lobby area. It will be taken to your room with you in most cases. Unlike other resorts check in at SW is very nice with hot towels and Champaign provided while you relax on a couch in the lobby. If you have a room upgrade to Concierge Butler service then you will be whisked away by your own personal Butler for a tour and orientation of the complex. Rooms are assigned by SW as they are received when booking your stay with them.

The premises

The room complex at SW is comprised of three separate villages, Italian, Dutch and French spread out along 2 miles of beautiful beach. The buildings are 4 stories with elevator access. All rooms face the ocean and with the exception of the first and second floors in some areas you have an unimpeded view of the ocean. Both the Dutch and French Villages have their own pool/hot tub. The Italian Village is adjacent to the main Riviera pool said to be the largest in Jamaica. If you have some difficulty with walking the French Village is a 5-6 minute walk to the lobby/Piazza area where the main restaurants are located. Request a change to the Italian Village if this is the case. The pool at the French Village has a swim-up bar with a water volley-ball net and tends to be the most active spot during the day. There is also Bluefield’s Beach Club restaurant offering Jamaican type food open 11:00 to 6:00 everyday. This is an open air concept and a favorite place for lunch and afternoon snacks. The Dutch Village pool is a little more quiet with a beach bar offering limited drinks. There is no restroom at the Dutch Village pool. The best sunsets are in this area as well as most wedding ceremonies. Both the main pool and French pool have restrooms.

Restaurants

I won’t go into detail about the 3 main restaurants, Eleanors, Jasmines, and Guisseppes as you really need to discover their particulars yourself. One thing to note is that dress code is strictly enforced. No shorts, t’s or jeans will be allowed for men and flip flops for the ladies.
Unless you have the Concierge Service reservations are not required. It is on a first come basis. Eleanors tends to be the most popular restaurant and it is not unusual to wait 30 – 40 minutes after 7:00pm. If you are there when it opens at 6:00 you will be seated right away. The food in all of the restaurants is a grade higher than most resorts comparable to cruise ship cuisine with excellent variety and presentation.
For breakfast Eleanors is Al a carte from 8am to 11:00am otherwise Bayside (next door) is a buffet for breakfast and lunch. Both are upscale with the buffet a cut above most.
The Café De Paris French Patisserie next to Eleanors is open 5:30am to 11:00pm daily offering real French pastries and specialty coffee. All along the restaurant row is a patio with tables. This is a pleasant area to meet and greet with entertainment most evenings.
Arizonas (Tex Mex) is located near the aquatic centre. It is also an open air restaurant open for lunch and dinner. It is also open from 11:30pm to 4:30am for late night snacks. The Arizona bar is a popular hangout with large easy chairs and great bartenders.
Our favorite place is the Casablanca’s Martini Bar above Eleanors. It is a casual bar with high end liquor and best of all ‘Rodney’ at the piano bar with sing along most evenings.
They can make any drink you can imagine.

Entertainment

There is usually something happening most evenings either out on the Piazza or the indoor theatre style Le Cabaret which doubles as the disco. One show worth noting is the “Jamaican Elvis” otherwise it is typical resort style entertainment.

Watersports

The resort offers most watersports and has an excellent scuba centre. There are onsite instructors offering certification and or resort style instruction for shallow reef dives. You are able to dive daily free of charge. Something to note: depending on how you complete the health questionnaire a medical may be required which can cost you $170 with the resort doctor. You can access this questionnaire online by going to the SW website and clicking on the aquatic centre then printout the forms for your own doctor to complete ahead of time. The resort qualification will cost you $70us. Be sure to signup upon arrival as classes fill up quickly. The resort provides free daily snorkeling at 10:00am, 11:00am and 1:00pm. The guides take you out to several reefs for a 25 minute snorkel, however, all of the reefs we visited appeared dead due to the over fishing in the area. Not a lot to see compared to other resorts in the Caribbean. The snorkel boat also doubles as a glass bottom tour boat going out daily. Best to book this a day ahead of time. There is also water skiing/boarding, ocean tricycle and Hobbie Cat sailing free of charge. This is on a first come basis.

Shopping

There are several Duty Free outlets at SW offering premium clothing, cigars, artwork etc. One store worth visiting is the Colombian Emerald Int’l outlet. This is a duty free high end jewelry store offering exclusive jewelry and especially watches such at Tag, Tissot and other Swiss brands at unbelievable prices.
The best shopping is in Negril, however, the store here offers the same items at the same prices with substantial discounts.

Tours and Excursions

The SW tour desk is located in the retail arcade and offers exclusive tours and excursions tailored for Sandals guests. The most popular tour is the YS falls and Black River Safari. for $71US per person. It is a full day tour with lunch included. This is an excellent excursion with a 1 hour cruise 4 miles up the Black River on a pontoon boat in the middle of Jamaica’s largest wetland area. You will see crocodiles in their natural habitant and many endangered species of birds.
YS Falls is a 7 pool natural waterfall set up in a private park/ranch setting. There is a ‘zip line’ which covers the entire area at an optional cost of $30US per person. Well worth the price. Swimming is encouraged and supervised by lifeguards in all areas. This is a breathtaking area, not to be missed. Both places are about 45 minutes by bus from SW.
The other worthwhile tour is the Appleton Rum Tour for $50US, a partial day tour to the Appleton Rum Factory where you tour the plant and taste various rum liquor. This one is done up nicely. Many other tours are available and information can be obtained from the SW website. Tipping the guides and drivers is expected.

General

One thing worth noting is that you are required to pay departure tax when leaving the island. The cost is $27US per person. Tip: you may also pay $1,000 Jamaican dollars each for departure tax at the airport. You can buy $2,000 Jamaican Dollars for about $29US at the front desk in the lobby (two for the price of one). Be sure to check with your air carrier as sometimes the departure tax is included in the price of the ticket and may not be payable when leaving.

If this is your first Sandals visit be sure to sign up for a free membership in the lobby for the Sandals Signature Club. As a repeat and there are a lot of repeat Sandals visitors you are entitled to discounts on future Sandals bookings and special privileges.

Tipping is not allowed to Sandals employees with the exception of the Concierge Butler service

You do not need to carry cash while on SW premises. On arrival in addition to your room entry card you will receive a “Membership Card” which acts a credit card billing purchases to your hotel bill. The duty free stores require cash or credit cards.

While we did not utilize the services of the Redlane Spa, it is worth a visit. This is an upscale Spa and prices are comparable to other resort spas.

The guests at SW are a mixture of US, Canadian, and European. Ages vary from young newly weds to seniors. The language spoken is English. The staff speaks Patois which is spoken by most Jamaicans. Although not official it is a very easy language to learn and fun at the same time.

The staff is extremely friendly and a little courtesy on your part will go a long way. Remember you are in their country, try to learn as much as you can from these friendly knowledgeable people. The staff love to talk to about life in Jamaica, it is interesting and worth the conversation.

The Sandals Whitehouse is a new resort less than 3 years old. It is an upscale Signature Resort and in conversation with many repeat Sandals Visitors SW is one of the best resorts in their chain. You can not help but to enjoy your stay with Sandals Whitehouse. Your vacation is what you make of it……..go with a positive attitude and enjoy yourself.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long review and please feel free to email me directly at: dcardy2@cogeco.ca for further information.

Dave & Catherine

• Liked — The modern updated facilities
  • Disliked — Nothing
73 Thank TravellerDave
new jersey
Reviewed 18 February 2008

Whitehouse was so great in 2007 that we re-booked for the same week in 2008. Our 2008 trip was EVEN BETTER!

6 Thank sunnfunnn
ST. THOMAS, Ontario, CANADA
Reviewed 17 February 2008

Hello Folks

.., well..., after reading the few (recent) negative reviews about SANDALS WHITEHOUSE, I am compelled to speak... My wife ("Crisis Nurse") and I just got back to CANADA (on FEBRUARY 15, 2008) after spending two glorious weeks at SANDALS WHITEHOUSE. It was by far the best vacation we've experienced in JAMAICA and we've vacationed in this Country three times since 2001.

Personally.., I'm somewhat amazed at some of the negative comments reported, however...., each, I guess, is entitled to his/her own opinions..... For the most part, I genuinely believe that 95% of the couples who vacation at SANDALS WHITEHOUSE come away with the feeling of experiencing a great vacation at a "top notch" resort. If it were in my power to give this vacation destination a "6 star" rating.., I wouldn't hesitate!

Although we were delayed at the "TORONTO-PEARSON International Airport" for two hours on FEBRUARY 1, 2008 as a result of weather conditions, the flight on Air Canada was most comfortable, especially when flying "Executive Class". Upon our arrival at the "SANGSTER Airport" in JAMAICA, it took about thirty minutes to load the luggage on the air-conditioned bus and commence the land transfer..., which took about 1.5 hours. Admittedly.., the last half of the Land Transfer was more rugged, given the poor condition of the roadway. (Many twists and turns, up and down the mountainous terrain.)

Because our flight was delayed by two hours, we were greeted by 'Warren' at the front lobby, rather than our Concierge Representative. The cold glass of campaign upon our arrival was much appreciated after a long travel day. We booked a "Grand Lux Beach Front Concierge Suite" in the DUTCH section. This was a spacious Suite, complete with a large jacuzzi tub, walk-in shower, double sinks, king-size bed, mini fridge with a wide range of beverages, including several bottles of liquor, and beautiful dark mahongy furniture. The third floor balcony was large with two comfortable chairs and table, which the wife and I took advantage of on several occasions when we ordered room service for breakfast and late night dinners. The view from the balcony, overlooking the Caribbean Sea was stunningly beautiful!

Nicholas (the Pool-Man), prepared our beach chairs everyday with towels and we had a perfect (private) spot on the beach, to sunbath daily, about thirty feet from the Guard House, just WEST of the French Pool. The Guards ("Devon", "Zieko", "Omar" and "Alfred") occasionally chatted with us and it was very interesting to learn more about JAMAICAN culture. The beach was exceptionally clean and very well maintained. It took no time at all to get a great tan!

I must share with you a fact that really speaks volumes about the Management at " SANDALS WHITEHOUSE"...., Everyone we spoke to (staff) held the General Manager, Jeromy JONES, in high regard and they were eager to express their reasons for their feelings towards him. The staff in all areas of this sprawling complex appeared sincerely happy and genuinely motivated to please guests. I cannot say enough about the staff and management personnel.

The food was superb...., and lots of it!!

The 'ARIZONA" has great steaks and baked patotoe. "GUISEPPES" had Minestrone soup to die for...,( I actually asked for two bowls..,) and their Pizza was, without a doubt, the best I've ever tasted! Imagine that..., REALLY great Pizza in JAMAICA.... Care is taken by the food servers to greet guests in a very pleasant, cordial manner and their uniforms are spotlessly clean, as are each of the specialty dinning facilities. "BAYFIELDS" is large, spacious and a refeshingly pleasant atmosphere for eating breakfast and dinner. "ELEANORS" is a little more elegant, with a calm and relaxing charm.

I guarantee, if you have a massage at "Red Lane Spa"..., within the first day or two after your arrival..., your blood pressure will drop immediatly (for those who have high pressure jobs). WOW.., do these massage experts know what they are doing!!! I actually fell asleep and was (apparently) snoring ....half way through the massage..

All in all..., I would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

.., keep in mind..., little things (disappointments) may happen occasionally, that might be frustrating for those who seem to make a carreer out of "sweating the small stuff"......... But, remember.., like most things in life..., you get what you pay for...., and if you're not happy with a smaller room, than pay for a larger room...., if you want 'Concierge Service'.., (because you like to be pampered).., than pay for it..... You cannot expect "Cadillac services" for "Chevy Chevette" prices.

..., thanks for taking the time to read this review. It is truly hoped that you'll find this helpful, when it comes time to pick your vacation resort destination. (By the way..., we've booked SANDALS WHITEHOUSE again, for another two weeks in DECEMBER 2008.)

G.G. ( the very experienced P.I.)

• Liked — Stuuningly beautiful resort with exceptional service and great food
  • Disliked — walking distances to Specialty dining restaurants
34 Thank GarryW007
Swarthmore
Reviewed 16 February 2008

My husband and I just came back from Sandals Whitehouse, Jamaica so relaxed and rejuvinated. I can't say enough on how much we truly enjoyed our vacation. The main pool was awesome and we stayed in the Italian Village which was within a close walking distance to the main area of the resort. You might have to walk just alittle bit further if you were in one of the other areas. The beds were just alittle to hard for my taste but if that if all that was wrong then that is not bad. The food was excellent, we enjoyed all of the restaurants with never really having to wait if you went around 6-7 p.m. The staff was friendly and helpful. The beach is very nice with quite alot of chairs and umbrellas. There was nightly entertainment which lasted into the late hours of the night if you wanted it or you could play some pool in the game area. By far this Sandals was unique. The ride unfortunately from the airport is long and bumpy but you make the best of it since you end up in a wonderful resort. We have made some very nice friends that hopefully we will be able to keep in touch after we have left.

Stayed February 2008
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!