“Second visit, great trip but a few disappointments...”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Piscataway, New Jersey
“Second visit, great trip but a few disappointments...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed at SWH for the second time (last year was mid-March) from April 6-14. We came home happy, full, and relaxed once again. See my review from last year for all the usual stuff; thought I would concentrate on some specific ups (and a few downs) for this review.

The Ups
Staff - Once again we were very impressed with the warm and friendly staff all over the resort. Housekeeping, bartenders, wait staff, groundskeepers, management...you name it. Of all of the properties we have visited (both Sandals and others), Whitehouse stands out in this aspect! Special mention to a few that went out of their way to make us smile all week including Rudain and Anthony at the Riviera Pool Bar, Renaldo at Neptunes Bar, and Tyrone for giving us a much-needed late night lift in the golf cart back to our room one night. All of our servers at meals were warm and friendly, without exception.

Bus ride in/out - The ride is down to 90 minutes: 15 minutes airport to "the mountain road", 45 minutes up and over, 30 minutes to the resort once you come down to relatively level ground. The roads are much improved over last year with only a couple of very rough spots under construction. Juta driver Dean took us back to the airport and he was a hoot. We laughed all the way back.

Food - The new menus are a major improvement, although we didn't have any real complaints last year. We ate at every restaurant at least once. French menu at Bayside for dinner was a welcome addition, and the improved focus on the Asian theme at Jasmines (compared to last year (it was just confusing!) was very welcome...we had sushi, egg rolls, and real (warm!) sake for appetizers. Classy evening and delicious meal - I felt a bit under-dressed in my cargo shorts. We did sit-down breakfast at Eleanors most days...had a few cold items (french toast, potatoes, etc) at the buffet early in the week no matter what time we went there to eat.

Grounds - astounding amount of work done all week by maintenance staff as well as lifeguard/watersports crew assisting. The wind was wicked, coming off the ocean from Monday thru Saturday in the middle of the day, blowing sand all up and over the patios and walkways. They started hosing down the sand after a day or so to try to keep the sand on the beach. Every day the sand came in, and every day they put it back. Heckuva job!

Housekeeping - Our room was cleaned each day by about 3pm at the latest. We asked for a couple of items (extra coffee, etc) and all were taken care of promptly. Not one complaint!

Bartenders - As mentioned above, a few really made our stay a lot of fun. In general, the bars were well stocked and the barkeeps very good-natured and happy to chat. This was true at EVERY bar from Martini to the pool bars and back. Great crew...remembered our names, drink prefs after one visit. :-)

The Downs
Monday late afternoon, we went to our room to shower and get dressed for dinner and found we had very little if any hot water. It was back in about an hour, so no big deal. However on Tuesday (Returning Guest Dinner) we had no hot water at all....from 4pm-8pm. We didn't want to take ice cold showers, nor did we want to get all dressed up covered in suntan lotion and sand....so we called the desk (who called maintenance) and waited til we could shower. Missed the dinner. I do believe it was some kind of mechanical problem and no one's fault, but we missed our Gold Member award and we were kind of disappointed. We mentioned this at the Soon Come Back desk (to pick up our award, rum, and tee shirts) and the lack of sympathy was....overwhelming. I would have been impressed if management had followed up since we were told by another guest and a staff member that we were "conspicuously" absent. Oh well...

Cancelled Events - Because of the wind (and rain a couple of evenings), there was no beach party (and at least one or two other outdoor entertainment events, can't recall what they were) were simply cancelled. Not moved inside as we have seen in the past, not rescheduled. It was no big deal (we're on vacation!) but it did seem to leave a rather empty, throw-away kind of feeling for the night, and at resort prices a throw-away night just didn't sit well with me. In a few cases it would have been pretty easy to move at least PART of the party to the Caberet, for example.

Tips - OK, so let me see if I understand....tipping butlers is expected (we did butler last year, and I am fine with that); tipping spa services is STILL expected even though a 15?% gratuity is billed to you directly - I even said "Really? The Spa has already billed me once for your tip!"....so yeah, I'm confused. And apparently so are some of the staff. At least two came to us at the end of the week and were a bit put-off that I wasn't sliding them some cash (because they "took such good care of us!" - NOTE: none of those mentioned by name in this review were involved). One followed us across the patio as we walked to our room to assure us that even though we had no cash on us (we didn't) right then, they would be around and look for us in the morning before we departed so we could "straighten up" with them. I stewed about it the rest of the night and decided I was going to tell this person they were lucky I was a nice guy and didn't go directly to management, as some people no doubt would have done. I did not see the person so it didn't come up again. Rude, pushy, and acted like I OWED them. Not cool at all. Low point of the week for us.

Extra stuff - We got spoiled last year with butler service, I know this, but we made it clear at booking that this was our 30th wedding anniversary. I did ask about a room upgrade (free OR paid) when we arrived, and I got a call later saying that for $200 PER NIGHT we could upgrade to Concierge. That's all fine and good except that this is more than it would have cost us if we booked a concierge room to begin with! We passed. (Note: we talked to several other guests that were first timers - definitely not Gold or even returning guests at Sandals, and found that they were given complimentary upgrades to butler room (with Concierge, not butler service). One couple had booked their own trip and the other through a Sandals Specialist. Live and learn I suppose, but if we don't rate an upgrade I'm not sure why THEY did. I will be booking thru a certified specialist in the future.

Anyway, on Wednesday evening we returned to the room to find a bottle of champagne and a nice but quite small piece of cake with Happy 30th drizzled on the plate....very nice but honestly, I was a little disappointed. Not sure what I expected but a breakfast in the room or something costs the resort what, nothing but a little time that is already spent on the "upgraded" customers? Maybe this is petty but 30 is big for us and it all fell rather flat for me. And no one from management knew (or mentioned if they did) anything to us. We felt that we were overlooked because we were not at least at Concierge level.

In summary....
We love the south shore and the SWH property. It's quiet and peaceful and we have already done all the tourist stuff like Dunns River, Rick's in Negril, etc. I had a fantastic week with my wife, and we are both very tan, fat(ter), relaxed, and happy. What I did not feel was that it was special, and I so wanted it to be for my wife and for our milestone anniversary. Have to wonder how many other guests were two years at Whitehouse in a row, newly attained gold members, and celebrating their 30th anniversary. Apparently no one really cared except us, which came as a surprise with all the raving I have heard about the great new GM, etc.. Perhaps I am being too picky, but I can say that we felt a lot more "special" last year and were REALLY longing for that feeling again. For that reason I have to rate the trip as I have, and we will look elsewhere for our vacation next spring.

14 Thank MikeandAnnF
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals South Coast, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
I'm so sorry to read that your second stay with us was not as great as your first. We strive to exceed expectations and it disappoints us that we were unable to offer a better experience to you this time.

As you know, we take guest feedback very seriously and your comments have been brought to the attention of our General Manager. Staff members have been reminded of our "No Tipping" policy as well as our commitment to offering excellent customer service at all times. It is understood that spa team members are afforded the privilege to accept additional tips however, it is a privilege that can be revoked if abused.

We would like to get to the bottom of your particular matter so that our future guests do not have the same experience. Thank you for your feedback and continued support.

We look forward to making contact with you very soon.

Cassie C.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,049)
Brentwood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

This was our first visit to a Sandals property (we had been to Beaches about 10 years ago when the children were younger) and whilst there are always things that you can pick holes in at any resort, they were few and far between here. We had a great time and would go back but if you want more detail, then read on:

So comments that may be useful to future visitors:

The Lounge at the Airport
Several people raved about this - we were only in it for 2 minutes and when we left to get on the bus to the resort, it was a struggle to get a bottle of cold water to take with us so this is something that could be sorted out.

The Journey from the Airport to the Property
This was nowhere near as bad a people said. We didn't find it a problem although we might have liked the driver to go a little slower and maybe stay on his own side of the road a bit more :-)

The Property
This is stunning and beautifully kept. You can even do a 2 hour tour of the grounds with an experienced horticulturist who will tell you about all of the fauna and flora. They even have male and female peacocks strutting about the place who are just beautiful. The property is split into 3 villages (Italian, Dutch and French) - more about that later, but the main hustle and bustle of the resort is around the Piazza where most of the restaurants are.

The Villages and Rooms
We chose to stay in the French village which is furthest from the Piazza. We had read that it was the quietest. If we went again (which I suspect we will!), we would either stay in the Dutch (which is definitely the quietest) or the Italian because it is nearer to everything. The French village has a lovely swim up pool but unless you were up by 7 am, all the beds were gone - the other villages did not experience this problem. The French and Italian villages have swim up bars in their pools, the Dutch does not but it does have a poolside bar. We did not stay in a concierge room and we didn't feel that we needed to - there was no need to book restaurants as there was never a wait for tables (and we were there over Easter so it was very busy). We stayed on the 4th floor of the French village and the sea views were stunning.

The Food and Drinks
Drinks were wonderful - if you could tell the bartender what cocktail you wanted, he or she could make it.
The Martini bar upstairs in the Piazza was excellent - fabulous martinis (or other drinks if you prefer) and lots of other entertainment. Keon, one of the bartenders there, was brilliant. Unfortunately he is a Manchester United fan, but that aside, he was great fun.
Overall, the quality of food was the biggest disappointment of the holiday for us. We are used to staying at much smaller hotels or eating in very good restaurants so we found the food fairly mediocre. However, when you consider that they are feeding around 600 people breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, we were probably being picky. Best restaurants for lunch were Bluefields because of the seaview and the Jerk Pit (on the beach near the watersports) where the ever-smiling Andrea produced some of the best Jerk chicken you can imagine. Best restaurants for dinner were Eleanors (look out for Tamara Williams who was a super little waitress, friendly and happy to tell you about life in Jamaica and how much she was enjoying her job), Jasmines and Guideppe's.

Watersports
The watersports guys were so friendly and if you fancy a chauffeur driven trip in a hobby cat, ask for Ewan to take you. He is a lovely chap with 2 young sons who clearly enjoys his job and lovely his country - very interesting to chat to but a little shy unless you start up the conversation! My husband waterskied every day (usually twice) unless the weather prevented him and this is all included. The only thing they need to do is make list easier for novice skiers. A simple piece of rope holding the front of the skies together will stop them moving apart and make it easier for novices to get up. I had a chat with the Watersports manager who assured me he was going to look into this (or better still, a special set of skies that are screwed together at the front!) so it will be interesting to see if this happens. I don't ski anymore but it didn't stop me getting frustrated for any number of young men who were disappointed when they couldn't do it. Glass bottom boat is also great, but do the morning trip as the water is clearer than in the afternoon. Snorkelling on the resort is not amazing but that is not the fault of the staff, just that there is less variety of fish there than in some places we have been. If you are a diver, then you may get to see more and again it is all inclusive so very good value.

Staff
You will struggle to find more friendly staff anywhere - however, remember that sometimes you have to make the first effort as they may feel that they do not want to intrude on your holiday. I've already mentioned Tamara, Ewan and Keon but also a special mention to Kwashie (the Ops Manager) who was really helpful and very interesting to talk to and to Piper (the Beverages manager) who did a great job of making sure that the pool areas, beach etc were kept clean of empty glasses but who was also always ready for a laugh and a chat.

Other Guests
We've never been to a couples only resort and we were amazed by the diversity in age (young honeymooners to very senior citizens). However, the most common thing was how friendly everyone was. Most guests were from USA and Canada so very few Brits like ourselves but as I said, everyone was really friendly. We were there for 2 weeks, however, one week seemed to be more common.

I'm sure I could think of a lot more but in truth, this was a lovely resort, with a stunning beach and we had a great time so we would go back.

Room Tip: The French Village is a long way from everything. The Dutch Village is nice and quiet but no swim u...
7 Thank JSOCBrentwood
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

My husband and I just got back from Whitehouse where I travelled with a party of 6. This was my first time at a Sandals resort and while it was pricier that other 5 star resorts we have visited, I was interested in seeing the difference in service that a higher price would provide. While I checked in on line before getting there, I still had an issue at the registration counter. It was very frustrating but once the issue was rectified, we were brought to our rooms.While clean with a great view, the rooms are dated and smelled a little ( due to humidity and dampness). The air conditioning couldn't seem to take the dampness from the room and there is nothing worse than getting in damp bed sheets at the end of the day. The maid service was great and we never had to ask for toiletries or towels( shampoo, conditioner, body wash and body lotion restocked as required- good quality products from their own "Red Lane" line).
The beach is beautiful and clean and I was happy that the resort had implemented a practise of removing items from beach chairs that were not being used, thereby ensuring that other people could get a chair.
The food was very good, the selection was varied and not having to make a reservation really added to our enjoyment of this resort. "Jasmines" was especially good and probably my favorite meal of the trip. The fish dish at "Bayside" in the evening is also worth trying. Really, most of the food was delicious.
As a person who likes white wine, it was great that the house white was a Beringer, and the selections of red house wines was also very good ( merlot, cab, etc). The other members of our group likes mixed drinks and while it was plentiful, the only complaint is that they do not measure their alcohol so you get very strong drinks that are made differently by each bartender. While some might like the "whollop" you get from the drink, there were occasions where our group members could not even drink their beverages as they were just too strong. Perhaps a method of standard measurements for drinks would solve this issue, however, this was just our observation. Also, a good quality rum would be a welcome addition at the bars.
We were surprised that we could not get beach service for drinks but had to go to the bar instead. Staff came and picked up glasses and such but didn't bring drinks, even when asked. We had an occasion where our order was taken but the staff never returned. While this is a small thing, it was surprising a five star resort didn't have this service.
The staff at the resort were generally very helpful ( a few were indifferent ) and I'd like to say a special "Thank you" to Andrea at "The Jerk Pit". She is so friendly and real, the type of employee that Sandals should be very proud of.
We took a couple of day trips, one on the catamaran to "Floyd's Pelican Bar" and another day to Sandals Negril, Margaritaville, and Rick's Café. Thank you to our driver "Milford" who gave us lots of information about the island while taking us about. Both day trips were a lot of fun .
Many people talk about the long ( and bumpy) ride to and from the airport and the resort, but our party enjoyed the opportunity to see the country side. In other country's you have to pay for that kind of tour !
Upon leaving, we met the managers of the resort who told us that they would be starting renovations ( upgrades) of the rooms in the very near future. This will add to the experience at the resort for sure.
If you are looking for nightlife and a disco, this may not be the place for you. Overall, I would say that people were between the ages of 35-70 . The martini bar offered some music and was fun but the crowd was definitely older.
Our party really enjoyed our trip to this Sandals resort and may return again, though our plan is to try another Sandals resort in another country next year.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view. The French quarter is quieter and furthest away from the eateries.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank fannymay25
Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

This was our 5 th trip back to SWH and were not disappointed! We loved all of the new additions like the sidewalk, fire pits, and new outdoor furniture. We meet several couples there and it's always a great time. What's not to like about this resort? The beach is awesome and the sunsets are gorgeous! One of the biggest improvements this year was the quality of food at all of the restaurants. We have booked again for next Jan.! Love Ava and all of the concierge staff. All of the staff at this resort are great!

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Carol C
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed March 31-April 10 2013.. Where do I start .....I know.. with Ernie who assists us with taking our luggage.What a joy you are sir to get off the bus and to be greeted by you.Check in was cold(Brrrrrrrr) but efficient.Then off to our room .Ernie was an amazing tour guide who in a very short walk to our room to the italian village managed to investigate our favorite foods and steered us to the ideal restaurant ,after traveling for close to 18 hours a real meal was most needed.This is our fifth sandals stay and our first Whitehouse stay,what a nice surprise to see old friends from other resorts Hotel manager Rick Burrows how amazing that you would remember us,Shane from the entertainment team,and Rohan (manager of the dive shop).I couldn't wait to start investigating the property with knowing three old friends were here.The beach -the views- spectacular.NO reservations for restauraunts finally a resort who gets what being on vacation means.The food is amazing shout out to Frederico (food/beverage manager),thanks for the gift in our room..The bartenders.... Keon (you must try his Neon Keon).Fletcha at the martini bar...Kevin..(he can make the tallest baddest hummingbirds Ive ever had the pleasure to drink),Anthony the list goes on, it was a pleasure to get to know so many of you bartenders..Alan manager at the italian restauraunt (you must try the lamb).then to end the dinner experience with a coffee and sweet treat ..from the cafe paris.
A pleasure to see that management is attempting to be proactive with announcing pool policies about reserving beach chairs.in the daily newsletter.A shout out for the dessert conga line at the Sandals Select dinner a real classy signature for Whitehouse.Georgia your a gem ..Cheldon-Geraldine(the most stunning woman on the resort) love your shoes..Shane -Waylon-you are the icing on the cake we enjoyed your shows.No review would be complete without a huge shout out for the Bayside ladies and gentlemen who keep the coffee cups full.Kemoi and Ashani tea times will never be the same thank you!Last but not least Mr G....your energy is contagious your genuine love and respect for the Sandals brand and all it represents is evident.To who ever is considering Sandals Whitehouse you will not be disappointed

4 Thank cycloneHD
mansfield ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

We just love Whitehouse--We are at the point we are unsure of tryng other Sandals because of everytning we love about this resort. This is why this is our 4th year in a row. Right from the Sandals lounge at the Airport-to check-in at Whitehouse--We have always requested The Dutch section and just love the proximity and qietness to all the other aspects of the property. The bar service and cleanliness of the pool area-exceptional--Special thanks to Delroy and Geaton--There are others and they are all so great by far too many names to mention. Special thanks to the main pool attendants--Errol & Damian were exceptional and personable at their jobs..All restaurants were top notch. It was wonderful meeting Mr.G this year-We had many interactions with him throughout our stay.It was great to see how he worked and interacted with his co-workers--Real team work! We love Whitehouse--The only improvement is the rooms which is in the works.. Looking forward to the new changes and walking once again on the beautiful 2 mile beach--Until next year!!

Room Tip: Dutch section-quieter and not too far from all the activities
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank gina69-46
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

My husband and I travel alot and have stayed at several resorts and nice hotels. We have stayed Sandals Royal Caribbean, and Sandals Whitehouse two or three times each location, over quite a few years. We stayed at the Whitehouse when it first opened about 8 years ago and returned in Dec. 2012 for our second visit. Sandals delivers a great vacation and good time for couples, however, it is a bit higher than the average resort - thus the 5 stars for their properties. While we had a great time at the Whitehouse, I would no longer rate it 5 stars but now I consider it a very low 4 star rating. It appears that over the years, they have cut some corners which I suspect is due to the economy, etc. and I have noticed the little things. The property is still very nice but of course over the years there has been some wear and tear which is to be expected. The grounds were very nice but there were some spots that were not as green as I would expect and some bldgs. that appeared to need another coat of paint to make them maintain their above average appeal. Beach was nice and water was clear which was fun. Our room was very nice and clean (housekeeping did a good job) but our bldg. was at the far end this time, maybe Dutch or French (I don't recall). We had a nice view of one of the pools from our 2nd or 3rd fl. balcony. Service was good but the staff was no way as friendly or accommodating as years ago. The entertainment was good and the main disco was fun especially on chocolate night with the chocolate fountain and treats but the treats didn't last long enough and wasn't replenished as well as I expected for a Sandals. (but the music was way too loud and could damaage ears in the piano bar/disco upstairs location - and that music could have been better for the mature crowd that was there!) These were the little things I noticed that would have been better years ago. The restaurants were good but a bit slow sometimes and the servers were not quite as approachable as in the past. I suspect that they are doing more with less and just have compromised on the little extra touches. For the price, I do expect more and would probably go to a less expensive resort rather than pay for the name of Sandals and get just a little above average. Oh, it's nice that you can go to the restaurants without a reservation and that beats the less expensive resorts. The drinks were better than at the less expensive resorts (top shelf liquor without paying extra), per my hubby since I don't drink. He said the quality of the drinks were better and the bar staff seems more experienced at Sandals than at some of the less expensive resorts. The pizza was very good at the pizza restaurant the first afternoon we got a custom made pizza, but the next time by another cook, and it was not very good at all (the bacon on the pizza was not done...). That was disappointing and they should always make the pizzas great since it doesn't take much effort. I don't really think it's worth the long drive to get to the Whitehouse either so even if we went back to Sandals, I'd probably try Royal Car. again closer to the airport to avoid the 90 plus min. ride. The airport lounge was nice and the checkin was nice and set the stage for a nice vacation which is a plus for Sandals. Overall, we had a great time cause we don't complain when we are on vacation but I was a bit disappointed at Sandals for not going above and beyond like they did some years ago. The pools were nice but they could use newer cushions... When I tried to get a virgin drink of blended fruits from the pool bar, they were constantly out of most fruits (mango...) and didn't try to get more for quite a while. I didn't think it was too much to ask to keep stocked on fruits for blended virgin drinks since I don't drink otherwise. These are the little things that matter but that they are slipping on with service. They just said we are out however on one occasion they did offer and go get more fruit but it took a long time to get it and make the drink. That is is reflection on management not the workers! Management should do a better job of making sure bar staff have what they need to take good care of the guests! They need to step it up if they want people to consider Sandals way above the rest of the average resorts. I'd return but only if the price was reduced a lot otherwise, we will go to less expensive resorts but keep it quite nice as well.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,747 reviews

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!