My wife and I have stayed at numerous all-inclusive resorts, including several other Sandals both in Jamaica and around the Caribbean. Whitehouse was our favorite. My wife is 5 months pregnant and if you are pregnant or get pregnant, don't hesitate to plan your trip to Whitehouse.
Staff- By far the best staff we have encountered at any resort or property both in the Caribbean, US and abroad. We were always acknowledged with a greeting and a smile from the landscapers to the management. They would go out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible.
Property- There are three separate clusters of buildings, referred to as villages, on this large and expansive property. Every single room has an ocean view regardless if room category. We stayed in the Dutch village which is the furthest from the restaurants,resort shops and water activities. The plus side is that each village has its own pool and the Dutch village had the resorts only pool volleyball game each day and had a swim-up bar. It also has the resorts beach snack/lunch restaurant which also serves lobster during dinner. Service at the pool bar was great. A staff member even brought my wife several non-alcohol, blended drinks while we lied by the pool, without asking....and me beer. He just went out of his way to make the experience more enjoyable. Even though there is a no chair reservation policy, it was not followed or enforced around the Dutch pool. Although there were plenty of chairs available at the pool and beach all day, if you wanted a particular spot you had to put a towel on it by 8-830am or risk it being taken. The resort was at capacity but you would think it was half full. The grounds were clean and immaculate and covered in gardens. The beach was long and the water was extremely calm, clear and warm. No problem with bugs on or off the beach. The resort does have several resident peacocks that freely roam the resort and are very friendly.
Rooms- We had a fourth floor room in one of the lowest room categories. The room was a standard Sandals room with a stocked mini fridge, large flat screen tv, four poster bed and balcony. Sandals no longer offers room service unless you book a concierge level room or above. We think that this is a major mistake and should return to ALL room categories. The bathroom needs to be upgraded, especially the tub/shower as we had a standard tub as most have in the US, not a walk-in shower that we are used to at resorts. Unless you have the money to burn, there is really no need to book a higher room category such as concierge or butler services. Although I'm sure it's fantastic, from my observations it didn't appear that the value was there at this resort unless room service is a must.
Restaurants- Food was some of the best, if not the best we have encountered. Lobster and filet mignon were available every night, although I had a Mahi Mahi (caught local that day) dish and an espresso marinated ny strip steak over blue
Cheese gnoke that were both fantastic. There was a French pasty place that served made to order crepes, pastries, cookies and gelato all day as well as gourmet coffees and teas....Starbucks quality. There is a sit down breakfast restaurant that was good but the breakfast buffet was disappointing compared to other resorts. This resort really shined with dinners and snacks. Also, try the jerk pit on the beach during the day for authentic jerk chicken.
Entertainment- this resort has a large piazza where each night a singer, saxophone or guitarist played while hung out at one of the several gas fire pits or dined outside. There was atleast one main show inside the theater each night which ranged from Broadway quality to high school musical...worth a look.
Excursions- We usually do one or two excursions. This trip we did the Black River/YS Falls combo. The best value of any excursion we have done ($98 per person which includes lunch at a local restaurant outside if the resort in the mountains...really nice). This excursion takes you in an hour long trip down the black river on a canopied pontoon boat where you see large american crocodiles in the wild (16 footer) and explore the river. Then you get bused to lunch. After lunch, on to the YS Falls which in out opinion was better than the more famous Dunn's River Falls..we have done both. You get to go in the water at several spots and your assigned guides will hold your cameras and take any pictures you want. They also help you navigate the falls. We had my pregnant wife and a 70 year old couple in our group and the guides were great with helping and making it easy for all. Plus this excursion is close to the resort and lasts from 9am until we pulled back on the resort at 3pm.
Overall, we were happy with this resort and would return and
recommend it. The ride from the airport was not too bad. The drivers do a great just on narrow and hectic roads. If my pregnant wife who gets car sick can do it without a problem, you sure can. It's just long 1.5 hours, although they make a pit stop for bathroom breaks and drinks halfway.
Definitely worth the ride.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Prestigia, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica