“Great Resort, Best Staff, Could Be Even Better. ”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed at numerous all-inclusive resorts, including several other Sandals both in Jamaica and around the Caribbean. Whitehouse was our favorite. My wife is 5 months pregnant and if you are pregnant or get pregnant, don't hesitate to plan your trip to Whitehouse.

Staff- By far the best staff we have encountered at any resort or property both in the Caribbean, US and abroad. We were always acknowledged with a greeting and a smile from the landscapers to the management. They would go out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible.

Property- There are three separate clusters of buildings, referred to as villages, on this large and expansive property. Every single room has an ocean view regardless if room category. We stayed in the Dutch village which is the furthest from the restaurants,resort shops and water activities. The plus side is that each village has its own pool and the Dutch village had the resorts only pool volleyball game each day and had a swim-up bar. It also has the resorts beach snack/lunch restaurant which also serves lobster during dinner. Service at the pool bar was great. A staff member even brought my wife several non-alcohol, blended drinks while we lied by the pool, without asking....and me beer. He just went out of his way to make the experience more enjoyable. Even though there is a no chair reservation policy, it was not followed or enforced around the Dutch pool. Although there were plenty of chairs available at the pool and beach all day, if you wanted a particular spot you had to put a towel on it by 8-830am or risk it being taken. The resort was at capacity but you would think it was half full. The grounds were clean and immaculate and covered in gardens. The beach was long and the water was extremely calm, clear and warm. No problem with bugs on or off the beach. The resort does have several resident peacocks that freely roam the resort and are very friendly.

Rooms- We had a fourth floor room in one of the lowest room categories. The room was a standard Sandals room with a stocked mini fridge, large flat screen tv, four poster bed and balcony. Sandals no longer offers room service unless you book a concierge level room or above. We think that this is a major mistake and should return to ALL room categories. The bathroom needs to be upgraded, especially the tub/shower as we had a standard tub as most have in the US, not a walk-in shower that we are used to at resorts. Unless you have the money to burn, there is really no need to book a higher room category such as concierge or butler services. Although I'm sure it's fantastic, from my observations it didn't appear that the value was there at this resort unless room service is a must.

Restaurants- Food was some of the best, if not the best we have encountered. Lobster and filet mignon were available every night, although I had a Mahi Mahi (caught local that day) dish and an espresso marinated ny strip steak over blue
Cheese gnoke that were both fantastic. There was a French pasty place that served made to order crepes, pastries, cookies and gelato all day as well as gourmet coffees and teas....Starbucks quality. There is a sit down breakfast restaurant that was good but the breakfast buffet was disappointing compared to other resorts. This resort really shined with dinners and snacks. Also, try the jerk pit on the beach during the day for authentic jerk chicken.

Entertainment- this resort has a large piazza where each night a singer, saxophone or guitarist played while hung out at one of the several gas fire pits or dined outside. There was atleast one main show inside the theater each night which ranged from Broadway quality to high school musical...worth a look.

Excursions- We usually do one or two excursions. This trip we did the Black River/YS Falls combo. The best value of any excursion we have done ($98 per person which includes lunch at a local restaurant outside if the resort in the mountains...really nice). This excursion takes you in an hour long trip down the black river on a canopied pontoon boat where you see large american crocodiles in the wild (16 footer) and explore the river. Then you get bused to lunch. After lunch, on to the YS Falls which in out opinion was better than the more famous Dunn's River Falls..we have done both. You get to go in the water at several spots and your assigned guides will hold your cameras and take any pictures you want. They also help you navigate the falls. We had my pregnant wife and a 70 year old couple in our group and the guides were great with helping and making it easy for all. Plus this excursion is close to the resort and lasts from 9am until we pulled back on the resort at 3pm.

Overall, we were happy with this resort and would return and
recommend it. The ride from the airport was not too bad. The drivers do a great just on narrow and hectic roads. If my pregnant wife who gets car sick can do it without a problem, you sure can. It's just long 1.5 hours, although they make a pit stop for bathroom breaks and drinks halfway.
Definitely worth the ride.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Blackhawks2010
Write a ReviewReviews (7,188)

Reviewed 8 December 2013

This was our second trip to Whitehouse, the first being in 2009. We were really impressed by the improvements that have been made, particularly the path that runs along the beach front. The food in all of the restaurants was excellent, the only meal we didn't enjoy was the Monday night buffet which is a shame. Our favourite places to eat is still Eleanor's and Jasmines. We had so much fun on this trip mainly due to how excellent the staff are and the brilliant friends that we met. The clientele at the resort seem to be the same as previous. Lovely lovely people. We had no trouble with getting the exact drinks that we wanted at any of the bars (apart from the ginger for the martinis which was no ones fault - our group did drink about 100 of them!). Also, we were left several lovely gifts in our room both in recognition of my birthday, and a personal note and gift from Mr G. This was a lovely surprise, he is such an excellent manager, I really admire his style. The beach is so breathtakingly beautiful and peaceful. There really is a place to suit every mood from vibrant pools to private stretches of beach. We had a few afternoon rain storms on this trip, but it was excellent, sitting it out in the hot tub with a glass of champagne! It also cooled down the evenings which my husband Dan was grateful for. We spent a lot of time in Cafe de Paris this time. I didn't think I liked coffee... I was wrong. The only downside to this trip was the sun lounger hoggers, there were a few selfish people who would put a shoe/towel/book down on a lounger first thing, then not return until late afternoon, and sometimes not at all. Be fair people, share! I actually heard one lady say she reserves a lounger at the beach AND the pool before going to bed. Crazy. One tip I would give the staff is to make sure and remove the belongings if the loungers obviously haven't been used. The very best thing about Whitehouse is that there is no need to reserve a table in any of the restaurants. This is so handy when you meet new friends and want to extend dinner plans. We only had to wait for a table once during the stay, and that was only for 15 minutes. Sit down, get a drink, then they come and get you. Once again the Silverbirds Were outstanding, we made sure to catch their show on both Saturdays we were there (we stayed for 2 weeks). And on that note, yes we stayed for 2 weeks, but could have happily stayed for a month, I don't think I would ever get tired of Whitehouse. Lastly, a big thank you to all of the staff, you are all exceptional, and a particular thank you to Shane and Prince for the beautiful song you sang to me on my birthday at white Night. Once again, we had a wonderful time. It makes it very hard to go anywhere else as we keep saying "it's ok, but it's not Whitehouse".

Room Tip: All rooms not on ground level have beautiful views. We stayed in the lowest category again in the Fr...
4  Thank AmyHeartsSunshine
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I spent 7 wonderful nights at Sandals Whitehouse in November of 2013. This is our second time returning to this resort as this is one of our favorite properties. This property is Awesome! The Service is impeccable and the food is amazing! When we visited the White House the first time (back in 2011) we had Keen and Ainsley as our Butlers. We would have definitely requested them again however, we waited too late to make the request. We had the pleasure of having Joy and Keen as our Butlers this time. They both did a phenomenal job in assisting us with our every need. They would reserve our favorite spot on the beach and check on us often to make sure we had everything we needed. It was also nice to have breakfast with Joy and dinner with Keen and Davion. Everyone on staff that we came in contact with was very pleasant and always greeted us with a smile. Tamarra at the Bayside restaurant makes outstanding omelets. She made our omelets every day. We would walk up to her station and she would already have our omelets started. She would say "Two veggies, one with no cheese, right?" We also loved to visit the pastry shop every night for a night cap. Sheree, among the other young ladies, always greeted us with a smile. Sheree would make my husband the perfect “brownie and ice cream” cup. We told all of our friends and family about Sandals White House. If you want to experience the best vacation of your life, visit Sandals White House…You will not be sorry! We look forward to returning in 2015.

3  Thank Agent2U
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed at the Whitehouse for 8 days from 11/24 to 12/2 we had a room in the Dutch village on the top/4th floor. This resort is very large with rooms in 3 villages Italian/Dutch/French approx 250 acres and about 2 miles of beach. We had a nice room with great view of pool and ocean, all rooms have mini fridge that is stocked daily with water/soda/juice, the upper scale rooms also have white/red wines and champagne along with house scotch/run/vodka/gin. The grounds are beautiful there is 3 large pools 2 have swim up bars. 2 restaurants open for breakfast , 4 for lunch and 6 for dinner ( some restaurants are closed 1 or 2 nights a week). I prefer eating indoors with a/c and 4 of the restaurants have inside space. Service was very good in general with some exceptions, bar service at main pool bar was inconstant, other 2 pools bars were great. Food was good equal to what you get on a cruise or other better resorts. All drinks and food is included and they have 12 year old scotch and top shelf drinks.

Most of the entertainment is outside during dinner so if you eat inside you will miss it. They have a very nice martini bar but it only has live music from 10pm to 11 which I do not understand , sing along piano man was excellent. When I say music starts at 10pm , that is 10pm Jamaica time which means they will start sometimes between 10 and 10:40. Bartender there were also excellent. My main problem with resort is we like good wine and while they offer good drinks there house wine is not that good, they do offer wine to buy but prices are a rip-off, last year we had Stags Leap merlot for 55 dollars ( we had this most nights) this wine sells for approx 20 in the states, this year they sold it for 95 dollars a bottle. They were also selling a dozen roses for $120, gift shop had white Hennessey for 120, bought same stuff a few years ago for 40 on a cruise. Another issue was people saving chairs at pool, they would place there towels/books on chair at 8am so there were no chairs available at French or Dutch pools and you may not see them for rest of the day, but still plenty of chairs at main pool and on beach. Bottom line is resort is general is great but if you like good wine this may not be the vacation for you. I think we will skip Sandals next year and just do a couple of cruises, but will return sooner or later, one other feature that is a great idea is if you spend 70 days in sandals resorts they will give you a free 7 day vacation and resort of your choice ( we talked to someone that was on their free week

2  Thank George C
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This review is a bit dated as our vacation was in April 2013 and as a result, some information and names may be missing. Next time I will not lose my notes, and I will write about our amazing experience sooner! We were not sure how we would find our free week (after 70 paid nights) at Sandals, but upon reflection, we should not have been concerned. We were just as spoiled as we have been on our previous visits. We stayed at Whitehouse, our home away from home, and because of the free days, were able to stay almost 2 weeks! In paradise!! We were there for Reunion Week. I highly recommend vacationing during that week as there are even more special treats and events. One highlight that shows Sandals' dedication to community involvement, was a school band from Montego Bay that led a parade and performed twice on the first day of Reunion Week. I went on the Reading Road Trip to the school in Whitehouse where I had a blast with the kids as they read to us, played and sang. They actually came in to school during vacation week just so we could visit with them! Return guests partied at Paradise, entertained by the dancing talents of Mr. G, games with guest activity leaders, horseback riding, great food and drink, and a dip in Sweet River. One guest dove in and was followed by Orlando of watersports who rescued the guests' prescription sunglasses. Orlando greeted us almost every morning on the beach as he raked and we sat watching the sun rise over the town of Whitehouse. (Did you know that Whitehouse is one resort in Jamaica where you can see the sun rise and set? And the sunsets can be awe-inspiring!) We were also greeted each morning by the butlers who came down to prepare the lounges for their guests. Joy and Chris especially, but also Damion, Keen, Omar and David treated us as if we were theirs. Maxine of room service greeted us every day. She is like a daughter to us, and we thoroughly enjoy her company! We stayed in Concierge (now Club Level) and were well taken care of by Shauun in our first week, and George in our second. George especially spoiled us with sparkling wine, petals on the floor, candlelight and treats. The rest of the Concierge family welcomed us back and continued their excellent level of service and attention, especially Ava, Kadian, Krystle, Sheldon, Clive, and the rest (whose names I will write down next time). Oshoi gave me an informative and fun garden tour, a floral bouquet, and came to the beach to visit a few times also. The SnapShots people are always fun, and Shellion, Delano and Sheldon were especially good at capturing our 'good sides'! At the restaurants, we especially enjoyed the company and service of Marsha, Roxanne, Ruthann, Ashani, Kimberly, Danneisha...and if I hadn't misplaced my notes, I would be able to include more! Tamara is the best omelette cook at breakfast! I am always amazed when she remembers how we like our eggs, when I have trouble remembering what I ate for breakfast the day before... Chef Laire brought me my eggs benedict on our last morning. Special and delicious!!! We enjoyed every single meal we had. Each restaurant serves delectable dishes and has wonderful ambience. Gord really enjoyed the lunchtime pizza at Guiseppes. I kept in shape (hahaha!) with Michael as he led us in aquasize at the main pool. There is always enough room in the pools to swim, play or relax. We had fun participating in some of the activies and watching others as Geraldine, Wayan, Cheldon, Prince and Shane entertained us. Singing along with Rodney in the Martini/piano bar was a blast. I am never sure if we sound so good because we are, or because of the chocolate martinis I am partial to, but I suspect it is the latter. I can't forget the Red Lane Spa! Sandra gave Gord a totally relaxing and regenerating hot stone massage. Since his first, he makes sure he gets one each visit. Adrian and Georgia of Soon Come Back were the first to greet us upon our arrival, and were two of the last we spent time with as we booked back for December. And April. Did I mention the great deals you can get during Reunion week? Just before our departure to the airport, we were serenaded by the resort managers and others who sang their sadness at our leaving and their future joy when they see us again. Perhaps not The Voice material, but thoroughly enjoyed all the same! I must conlude this rambling review with great thankfulness and appreciation to Ms. Heather Boothe Dennisur, who has since retired. During the bus ride to the airport, my camera jumped off my lap and hid under the seat. While relaxing at Club MoBay (well worth the extra $), I realized I did not have my camera. The hostess at the club called Whitehouse for me and I gave them the necessary information so they could contact the bus driver. He found the wayward object, returned it to the resort, it was passed to Heather of Guest Services who then arranged for it to be shipped back to me via DSL. The camera (just bought before the trip) had a grand trip home and returned to me intact just in time for a friend's wedding. We were truly amazed, thankful and happy with the service we received. Just another example of the magic that is Sandals Whitehouse.
We are returning for our 10th visit to our piece of paradise next week for some much needed R&R. We will be flying Air Canada Rouge, so I hope to review their newish service soon. Stay tuned!

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the sea. It is more a matter of the service level you prefer. All villages...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
5  Thank Marie B
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We took our daughter and son-in-law for a week at Sandals Whitehouse with us and had a wonderful time. The room was lovely, the beach was awesome, the food was delicious.....our only compliant was that at the price we paid we did NOT have room service. We were on the 4th floor of the French Village which was the most distant from all the restaurants and shops and made room service even more important to us. Our experiences at other All Inclusive Resorts has been that room service was offered to all guests - no extra charge.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank NVPeggy
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals South Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Whitehouse. We're delighted to read that you had a great time at our resort. I'm so happy that we succeeded in creating that luxury romantic experience for you all but I wish we could have met all of your expectations during your stay.

We look forward to your return for an even better stay in the near future.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I do not know where to start!! We had such an amazing time at Sandals Whitehouse!! We have been to other all inclusive resorts -- but they do not measure up to SW!! The food was really good! It tasted like food that we would eat in the states! That may not be for everyone, but it suited out palettes nicely.

We had Butler Suites. I have read about how many people would not be comfortable asking someone to do things for them or how they did not see the value in butler service. But -- once one is exposed to butler service -- they will ALWAYS want butler service!! First of all; we did not have to ask for things. Our butlers (shout out to David and Camille) looked out for verbal and non-verbal preferences and handled everything BEFORE we could ask!! It was amazing that our butlers knew that we liked to people watch and reserved a cabana near the water sports area (which is the best place to people watch)!! They also knew that I adored the Italian salsa and would serve that with my lunch! Or the time that I got soup from one restaurant while dining at another restaurant because I mentioned (to my friends) how much I enjoyed it!! I could not imagine our Whitehouse stay without David and Camille!!!

I will briefly mention that the Butler Suites are quite comfy with plenty of room and AMAZING views. All of the rooms have beach views but the Butler Suites have the BEST view. It was really nice to have a snack set out after lounging by the beach all day. It would hold us over while we got dressed for dinner. David and Camille got to know our preferences and would have our favorite snacks waiting for us. I enjoyed the cheese and crackers and my husband enjoyed the coconut shrimp!!

Aside from the butler service the staff at WH is AMAZING!!! We had incredible conversations with the staff and we hope to see them all again at our next visit!!

Keon at the bar (whom was moved to a newer resort) was so funny!! He mixed drinks while the cup was on another person's shoulder, balanced a huge stack of cups on his face and kept us laughing the whole time!

The Water Sports Crew were all so sweet!! Jack (I can't remember the name on his name-tag because "Shades" told us all the staff's names as they are known by) secured the curtains on our cabana while we were shopping because it started raining! He saved all of our stuff from getting wet!! That was such a sweet and thoughtful thing to do!!

"Shades" (Orlando) and Terrence taught us all about their culture and language!! We were able to go back to Georgia with our Jamaican'isms; although it doesn't seem as authentic with our southern accents :-) They were as entertaining as the "entertainment crew". We also met Inique (I hope I spelled that correctly) later in our vacation and he was such a sweet and hospitable guy!!

Now for the Entertainment Crew -- y'all -- they were AMAZING!!! We had so much fun with them!! We also had some one-on-one time with them so we were able to see their serious side as well. These are all great guys with such ambition!! We enjoyed hanging out with Wayon (such an amazing dancer), Prince (that made fun of our Southern accents, but we gave hime some "new material") and Shane (which has so many different personalities -- if he tells you he is from Oxford University-- do not believe him)! Nickel sang Boyz to Men and Bon Jovi to me! There is so much talent!!

And last, but not least is such a great guy (Odane) that works in the gift shop and also plays music at night! He spent so much time talking to us (WHILE he was off-duty)!! He answered all the questions that we had about his home, how he grew up and what he wanted to accomplish in his life. Odane introduced us to his dad (whom also plays music at night) and his cousin (Omar - that is also a butler at WH). Odane really showed that "southern hospitality" that we are so use to and that we really appreciated!!

I can't wait to go back!! November 2015!!!!

Room Tip: Get the Butler Service!! It is AMAZING!! Everyone around us that did not have butlers really appreci...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amanda W

We're so happy to read that you had a great vacation with us. We love to hear our guests boast about our luxurious accommodations, delectable dining options, beautiful property and the wonderful personalities and hospitality of our staff. Thank you for your review. It was a pleasure creating such a memorable experience for you.

Please do consider making this an annual trip. We can't wait to welcome you back in 2015!

Also consider these accommodations in or near White House
#8 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!