“Birthday Celebration at Sandals Whitehouse”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is our 4th stay, and it seems that every year just gets better, from the moment we arrived and were greeted by our favorite butler Ainsley and this year the opportunity to meet Omar as well, if possible if you can afford a butler go for it, the service is unbelieveable, form looking after dinner reservations, special treats on the beer and in your room, to reserving your spot on the beach, knowing what you like to drink and always making sure you have it. Drinks at the Marini bar, best martinis made by Fletcher, best service and most beautiful smile by Charisse in the Patierre, she greeted us like famil first night and remembered what we had every evening without asking. Favorite restaurant - Eleanors, love eating outside in the evening, yummy pizza at Guissippes had lunch 3 times, Jamaican Patties, its worth the walk to the French Village jsut for one. Fabulous vacation returning back next November. One of our favorite things about this resort is the location and beach, you can walk, swim, snorkel, dive or just lay around. Perfect holiday

Room Tip: Italian or Dutch, love the ground floor can walk right out to the beach, close to the restaurants an...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank LynneS4223
There are newer reviews for Sandals South Coast

Reviewed 11 December 2013

My wife and I spent a weekend and a bit here before going off to Kingston for a business meeting. It was everything that I had been led to expect from Sandals. A good variety of restaurants for dinner each with generally quite good food. The sea sports were also quite good.

Generally the service was very very good in person; not so good if you need to call for service using the phone. With one exception, it seemed impossible to get a phone answered to get any service. I was having trouble getting the Wi-Fi connected and after repeated calls to the front desk went unanswered, I had to go down and eventually got the Wi-Fi sorted out after being put on to a call with the third-party provider.

The Wi-Fi, for which you had to pay, was generally available around the hotel but strangely enough it was quite spotty in our room. I sometimes had to move around the room to get a good signal.

Room Tip: The restaurants tend to be centralized and the rooms are spread out a quite bit. When it rains, as i...
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This was not our first Sandals trip.. we are actually Sandals snobs this was trip ??maybe 11 or 12. We have always loved Sandals because all the resorts are similar in the essence of a clean room good meals friendly people and a little pampering from staff!

The trip to the resort is long but if you go in prepared not an issue. The room was lovely. The food excellent!

We are not complainers as a rule.. as I stated this is not our first Sandals and will not be our last but this is our first trip advisor rant!!

This was the second Sandals trip we have had an item taken from our room (the first was Sandals Grande St Lucia and we had our charger cord for the camera stolen.. strange item to steal) The theft itself was not the fact that makes me want to rant on here it was the treatment of the resort. From the moment I called them they acted in disbelief (item was my iPod Nano shuffle that I only use on the plane and on the room stereo never was it taken out of the room by us and always replaced in it's little pouch holder) They searched the entire room including all personal items, drawers, luggage etc.! The entire time I received the feeling of disbelief as though I just lost it and was lying! Since returning home I have learned you can no longer buy a Nano shuffle and have had to purchase one on eBay that is used!

At the same time our friend complained about the scraping of chairs on the patio waking him on a whim to a manager he had met .. he received a letter of apology and a bottle of champagne!! All this and we did not receive recognition until I actually called the manager angry... to little to late I might add!!

When we were leaving the security manager made a comment to the effect of her briskness as I believe she knew she was over the top! Not a very warm and fuzzy felling at all!

In the midst of all that we managed to make some wonderful friends and have a good time, lots of laughs and good meals shared.

Will I go back, not likely!

p.s. Sandals Whitehouse told us they would send an update on "the investigation"... 1 month and we have not heard a word even though we were told we would be updated.

7  Thank sdenick
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My wife and I decided to add 5 days to our trip in middle November and go to SWH before going to SGR. We could not justify being in Jamaica and not spend time at our favorite resort.
We are very glad we did, the management and staff went out of their way to make sure our stay was once more very memorable.

This year we arranged a private transfer from the airport, Danny from http://dannysislandexcursion.com/ was outside waiting for us. This trip we once more used Club Mo Bay, sure glad we did there was a few planes that arrived just before us and customs was rather busy, was really nice to fast track. Our trip to resort was very good and fast, first two thirds was smooth and great road, however last part was very treacherous, they are fixing the road, laying pipes across the road, however it rained really bad few days before and washed away most of the road and left huge pot holes.....Thank you Danny, you were amazing at avoiding most pot holes and make our trek to SWH very safe, thank you also for the cold drinks you had for us. I highly recommend Danny.

Upon arrival, our beautiful friend Shaneika (we have been friends since our wedding there, she was our helper) was waiting for us with some managers, we were whisked right away to Club Sandals and taken to our Honeymoon Romeo & Juliet Beachfront Walkout Club Level Suite, we had been upgraded....wow what an awesome room......Thank you. We were almost at the corner facing west, the Dutch pool as well as the new cabanas. We typically always stay on the 3rd floor, so this was totally a different experience, just being able to walk out and in a few steps we would be at our palapa on the beach.

Restaurants....Since we only stayed for 4 nights (going back in April for reunion week for 9 days) we only dined at Jasmines and Eleanor's our two favorite restaurants both meals were amazing at Jasmines Sherwin once more was making sure we were having the best meal ever.....Eleanor's we had Chef Laire prepare a special dinner for us which we had invited two staff members to dine with us, chef Laire thank you so much for one of the best dinners we ever had prepared for us, everything we asked for you had on our plates....again thank you from Mary and I, one night was taken with beach party and the other with the RGD where we received our silver sandals and again that was an amazing dinner.

We had a few goodies left in our room one with personal note from Mr. G, it was such beautiful surprises, Fitzroy, Krystal and Kaneisha (sorry if not spelling names correctly) from Club Sandals were extraordinary always making sure we had everything we needed.....you surely made our trip that much better, we can't wait for April to come and hug this beautiful people again. Thank you.

STAFF.....OMG....what can be said that has not been said before.....this is what makes this place rather unique and special and makes us want to go back, from Mr. G who goes around the resort making sure guests are doing well as well picking up any garbage, to the gardeners....Oshoi is so knowledgeable, Tamara who makes amazing omelets, Nicola our favorite server, Delroy bartender at Dutch bar, Rayon at the Dutch village beach making sure we always had enough to drink, Errol and Damion at main pool making sure all is ready and clean for the guests, amazing Copeland who always remembers our names and drinks we like and of course Davion at front desk I am so privileged to know Davion he always makes sure our requests are met...(we don’t request much, just that we will be at Dutch Village) Thank you Davion.

Special thanks goes to Frederico our favorite F&B Manager...we both come from same country, so it's always nice to be able to communicate in our native language, besides that Frederico is awesome.....hope you never leave SWH, thank you so much, see you soon.

I could go on about this fantastic resort which lots of us call home away from home, from the outstanding beach, restaurants, drinks, entertainment, management and of course the Best STAFF. I highly recommend this resort; also check the various SWH forums in Trip Advisor (I post regularly) as well as the fans of sandals pages in FB for lots of great information.

Let me finish by again saying....to the staff and management of Sandals Whitehouse – thank you for making our vacation very memorable. See you all in APRIL.

Click on link for a few pictures…

Room Tip: We love Dutch Village, most beautiful sunsets, ask for higher up rooms.
3  Thank gpm11
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We spent Dec 4-11 at Sandals Whitehouse and overall had a very good time. I'm going to skip a summary of the rooms and food since there are already a million reviews on those categories.

Scuba- 5 Stars!!! The dive team got a 5 and is the real reason the entire resort is getting a 4. There are dives every day (9am and 11am). I highly suggest you go sign up for them as soon as you get to the resort because they book quickly and the dive shop closes at 4:30. The dive team (Captain Alton, Roderick, and Stringbean) were fantastic. They were knowledgeable and entertaining but also very safe. One time after we surfaced from a dive, the current had gotten very bad and the boat was drifting away quickly. You could see the look of concentration on the captain's face as he was all business, calling out orders until every person was safely on board, then the smiles and jokes were back. The divemasters also used their little sketch pads to tell you what interesting things were called.

As for the diving itself, I've come to understand our experiences were beyond the norm. The reef is doing okay with a few dead areas here and there. Most of the fish are small because of the commercial fishing village next to it; but hey, they have to eat too! We had the honor of being visited underwater (at about 30 feet) by a pod of 5 dolphins. They came right up to us, almost touching distance, and swam around. We could hear and feel them before we ever saw them. They were very playful swimming around and looking at us upside down. In addition to the dolphins, we saw 2 sharks, 2 different kinds of stingrays, a puffer fish, 2 crabs (one was almost 2 feet across), a variety of coral including sponge coral (feels like the name implies), sea urchins, huge conch shells and sand dollars, and lots of other fish, mostly small, but the biggest lionfish I've seen yet. Not sure if the lionfish will be there next week since Alton was making spearfishing motions at it.

The only other thing I'm going to comment on is the bars, which get 1 star. The drinks are terribly inconsistent. You can order the same drink at each bar and each one will give you something different, ranging from horrible (most) to good. The same can be said for the waitstaff at the restaurants: some are great, some need to train some more with the great ones. For example, I ordered a bellini and got just champagne. My husband ordered a dirty banana and got a banana daiquiri. I also ordered a Jamaica Smile at dinner and got it 20 minutes later (after inquiring about it). I received a coke when I ordered a diet coke. See the pattern? Note, the majority of the bar staff and waiters are very nice, just need a lot more training. This was our 4th Sandals and it hasn't been an issue at the others.

Due to the diving, beautiful grounds, friendly staff, and clean rooms, we had a good time at Sandals Whitehouse and am glad we came here. I would recommend this resort (and a Transderm Scop patch for the drive to/from the resort) to a friend who wants to scuba dive, but otherwise I'd recommend Antigua or Emerald Bay first due to the horrible inconsistency and inaccuracy with drinks.

Room Tip: The French village is very far away from the restaurants. If you want quiet but still like to get a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BARNETTL1984
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I wrote this to our travel agent, Kim, at Journeys Inc. of Richmond, VA when we got back from our honeymoon and thought it would be a nice review for them as well as the resort that we stayed at in Jamaica, the Sandals Whitehouse European Village & Spa, which was totally AMAZING...

... Sorry it took us so long to get back with you. We've been so busy since we got back. I did get your message when we got home from Jamaica. Thank you for the call. I just wanted to let you know that we had such an AWESOME time!!!

Jamaica and Sandals White House was absolutely gorgeous!!! We have never been anywhere like it. We could not have asked for a better place to spend our honeymoon. That was the first time that we had ever done any trip "all inclusive" and that is definitely the way to go. Everyone was at the resort was so nice. And the food was amazing!!!! We loved going to the shows at the Cabaret. We also did a LOT of snorkeling and other water activities, which we had never done before. And the beach, OMG, so beautiful!!! We also met Mr. G, however it wasn't until the last day we were there. Lol. He was very nice! They actually sang us a goodbye song before we got on the bus to go back to the airport. It was so cute!

Thank you so much for all of your hard work. You did so much research for us! I'm so glad we were referred to you. You made planning this whole thing so much easier for us. We truly appreciate it. I don't know if you only do honeymoons and such, but we are already looking forward to planning our next trip! Maybe a nice little anniversary/birthday trip for myself and Jon this time next year :) I'm also trying to convince my Maid of Honor and her fiance to plan a destination wedding :) Once again, thank you so much for making this happen for us!

Sincerly,

Whitney and Jon

Room Tip: Any trip with an "oceanview" is totally worth it!!! And the French and Dutch villages, whe...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whitney M
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I recently got scuba certified and were looking forward to going to Whitehouse. Our trip was the last two weeks of November 2013. The Captain and dive crew were amazing!! We did 21 dives in 12 days and were never disappointed. The weather and water temp. were better than we expected, sunny almost always and water temp. 84 to 86 degrees F.
A shout out to the captain and crew,,,which we had the privilege of taking to lunch to further enjoy these fine young men. Alton, Demane, and Carlton [aka string bean] did a fantastic job ensuring everyone's safety and keeping every dive enjoyable.
As with my prior experiences with Sandals, Whitehouse was top notch also. Food was great, to the tune of an additional 18 lbs. I brought home. The pools are refreshing and relaxing, and the hot tubs are good for soaking in the evening, or during the 20 minutes of rain.
The grounds are spread out quite well in comparison to Negril, be prepared to walk a little.
We did have a great Thanksgiving dinner at Neptunes, as the chef Cleon made it a terrific and memorable evening.
We will go back to enjoy this resort again.

Room Tip: the second story Dutch room we stayed in was great.
1  Thank CoreyandLori
#8 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!