“Wonderful third visit!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Ottawa, Canada
“Wonderful third visit!”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I were at Whitehouse April 5 to 19. It was our fifth Sandals vacation and our third time at Whitehouse. Yes, the drive to/from the airport is long, but worth it in our opinion. Actually, it seemed shorter this time because we recognized landmarks which helped us to track our progress.

We stayed in a Honeymoon Beachfront Penthouse Club Level Room in the Dutch Village, and it was lovely. The view across the pool to the ocean was spectacular. I could see the ocean while lying in bed! Our concierge, Allen, stopped by our room regularly to check on us and took very good care of us.

The food is very good (the lamb at Giuseppe’s is the best we have ever had). It’s the employees, though, who make Whitehouse a wonderful holiday destination. Karlene at Eleanor’s is a wonderful hostess and has a great staff : Fiona and Kemesha are very friendly and professional, and Plummer, who has only been serving for a few months, is a great addition. Caveta at Neptune’s bar greeted us with a smile and always knew that my husband wanted 12 year-old rum on the rocks. Synovia, Ashani and Gaville at Giuseppe’s were always happy to see us and provided top-notch service (We met Ashani on our first visit to Whitehouse and he still remembers our names. Quite remarkable when you consider how many visitors he meets!). My husband went on three dives and said dive crew were very professional, friendly and knowledgeable. Special shout out to Errol at the main pool and Keisha in housekeeping (best towel artist!).

The grounds are beautiful and the beach is wonderful for long walks. We are early risers and never had a problem finding chairs in our favourite spot. The pools are clean and there was no shortage of floats.

We would definitely return to Whitehouse!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,119)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My new husband and I just returned from our week long WeddingMoon at SWH. This might be a lengthy review but it will be very detailed and helpful so bear with me.

We did our trip Weds-Weds which I think was a great idea. Getting through the Montego Bay airport was very seamless. The Sandals lounge, while neither bathroom was working, was very nice for the short time we waited for our bus to the resort. The ride to the resort was not nearly as bad as I expected given some of the other reviews, so just get comfortable and enjoy the view. SWH truly comes out of nowhere when you're driving there and once you enter the resort it's pure heaven.

They welcome you with a smile, and since we already checked in online, we just had to give a CC for incidentals and we were taken to our room. The only downside at this point was it took 45 minutes for our luggage to get to our room. After a long flight, all we wanted was to get our sunscreen on and head to the pool. That was a little frustrating but it did finally arrive. We stayed on the 2nd floor of the Dutch area in a Beachfront Luxury room.

We headed over to Bluefields for lunch. The food was not great. I ordered the Jerk Pork Quesadilla and I barely tasted any pork at all.

After lunch we headed to the Dutch pool where we pretty much set up shop for the week. It was my favorite place to be. Very relaxed and quiet, unlike the Main Pool which was non stop activities and the French Pool which had a lot of loud music. The pool floats were my absolute favorite part. The guys at the Dutch beach bar were awesome and made the best drinks - you must try a Dirty Banana and a Strawberry Daiquiri with Blue Curacao.

Food - I was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. My husband and I are both foodies who live in NYC - The food capital. Aside from our not so great lunch at Bluefields everything else was fantastic.
Jasmine's - nice atmosphere, they have a great signature cocktail called Delight. The portions here are on the smaller side so order and app and a main dish.
Giuseppes - we went here a total of 4 times in a week. 3 times for Dinner and once for their lunchtime pizza. This was by far our favorite. The great part about this place is they have an antipasto and salad bar so you really get a lot to eat. My favorite dishes were the duck risotto and the seafood pizza (lunch).
Bayside - for dinner, the atmosphere wasn't spectacular because it's quite large in order to accommodate the breakfast and lunch buffets. The meal we had, however, was quite good. I had a pork tenderloin with a blue cheese sauce. Yummy. The Breakfast buffet was really good. They had something for everyone. I have a major sweet tooth so I was loving all of the delicious pastries. They also have healthy options like Eggs, Fruit, Cereal, Granola, etc. The coffee is great too. For lunch, it was hit or miss. We went on Thursday and they had yummy tacos and delicious chicken curry, but I think that was just a Thursday thing because we never saw it again.
Neptune's - went here for lunch one day and it was decent, but dinner was FANTASTIC. I had the seafood cannelloni which was really good.
Cafe de Paris - I saved the best for last. I'm not ashamed to say we were in here sometimes 3x a day. Shadae is SUCH a sweetheart. Their Peanut Butter cookies were my week long addiction. They make great lattes and cappuccinos too. I never got one but a lot of people were coming in to order Nutella crepes!

The staff is so friendly. Everyone says hello when they see you and are very accommodating. Some stand out staff members were Tashelle at Giuseppe's, Damion at the Dutch bar, Shadae at Cafe de Paris, Girleen and Sanet at the spa (more on them later) and Sebrina in the wedding department.

WeddingMoon - We arrived the the resort on a Weds and were married 2 days later. There were a few weddings at the Dutch Beach Gazebo and nearby piers. Initially I really wanted to get married on the beach - afterall, isn't that the whole point of getting married in the Caribbean? However, after seeing a few of these weddings, we weren't into how out in the open they all were. The beach area is so small and these weddings lacked an intimate setting. I didn't want to "walk down the aisle" right next to people sunbathing. It just seemed strange to me. My husband is more private so he was hoping we could do the ceremony somewhere a little further away from the crowds. When Sebrina took us by the French Garden we knew it was the spot where we wanted to get married. It was lush and tropical with gorgeous plants and flowers and there was hardly anyone around, which we loved. We went back to the wedding office with Sebrina and signed some documents and did our cake tasting. We went with the Caribbean fruit cake because it was so unique and delicious.

Wedding Day - I never knew a wedding day could be so chill and relaxing. We had breakfast, lounged at the pool and then I left to get ready. Sebrina met me in our room about 10 minutes before I was to walk down the aisle. We listened to hip hop and danced so that I could relax. She led me down to where I needed to be, keeping me calm the whole time. I really appreciate her for that.

Spa - I went in on Thursday to get a Manicure, Pedicure and my trial hair and makeup. I had the good fortune of getting Sanet for all of these treatments. We had a great time gabbing for a couple of hours. It was the best manicure and pedicure I have ever had in my life. We went to a separate are for hair and makeup and she knew exactly what I wanted. She truly listens to what you want and does whatever you ask...more blush, less eye makeup, etc. While She was doing my makeup, the Asst Spa Manager, Girleen came in to check on me. She was such a doll. They both were. I told them my husband and I didn't invite any guests to witness our wedding so if they were free the next day they should stop by. I was so happily surprised to see both of their smiling faces while we got married. It was so kind of them to take time out of their day for me, who two days prior was a complete stranger. That meant so much to me and I will never forget it.

Beach - this was the biggest disappointment. There wasn't a lack of chairs or a problem with the sand but the water was so murky. From a distance it looks like crystal clear turquoise waters but when you walk into it it's very rocky and not clear at all. This really made me sad. I was hoping for the same clear blue water we had in Riviera Maya, Mexico.

All in all, it was a great, memorable trip. However I don't know that we would return to a Sandals

5 Thank ALK766
Penfield, New York
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This review is dedicated to the people at Whitehouse and Ruth Demuth who make Jamaica feel like home for us.

We must start this review by extending kudos to Ruth Demuth from TripGuy Travel whom we’ve been working with for four years now. From the initial booking of our vacation to the return home, Ruth is there for us! Her professionalism, attention to detail, and love for what she does are just some of the reasons will continue to work with Ruth and recommend her to our friends. Her expertise and service is top notch! Ruth accommodates our every need, ensuring our vacation is nothing less than perfect!

And perfect our last holiday was! From 4/12-4/19/14 we returned back “home” to the Whitehouse. We have been to Sandal’s seven times and four of those visits have been to the Whitehouse. So obviously, we love the Whitehouse for all the reasons mentioned in each five star review on Trip Advisor! Our only concern was the erosion to the beach on the French side but other than that food, service, grounds, new additions to the resort…..keep us coming back.

The people there are a major part of the reason we return. When Leroy at the front desk recognized us and made us feel so welcomed to be back, it set the tone for a fabulous week.

Sandra and Dorothy from the Red Lane Spa provided us with a relaxing couple massage! Each day Sandra found us on the beach or at the pool to say hello and chat. It was a pleasure to get to get to know her. Sandra – One Love!!!

Be sure to visit Germaine, Rudain (who for four years now has been doing a fabulous job), Marlon, Myers, and Tanu at the French pool/bar; Delroy, Gaeton, Fitzroy, and Damion at the Dutch bar/pool; Keon, Fletcher, Troy(Amigo! Amigo!) and Romeo at the Martini bar; Peta Gay at Bay Side for dinner; Gaville at Guiseppe’s; and Kevin (Gully Creeper) at Neptune’s bar.

Housekeeping did an amazing job and we wish we had written the ladies name down to show our appreciation. (We stayed on the first floor at the Dutch village.) There are so many people behind the scenes at Whitehouse as well that contribute to our vacation- we appreciate all they do!

A special thanks to Rick, who we met at Dunn’s River and the Royal Caribbean, for suggesting we try the Whitehouse! We were happy to see you at Whitehouse the last few years and run into you this vacation as well!

We can’t wait to Soon Come Back!

9 Thank Shannon M
Dilworth, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 30 April 2014

From booking our wedding and stay here at Sandals to checking out, it was a wonderful experience. We worked with Niquet on details of our wedding ceremony which was pretty simple because it was just me and my groom. The ride from the airport was pretty bad, as expected from reading other reviews, but there is no way to get around this. Their roads are barely wide enough for two vehicles and they are pretty run down. The stop in the middle of the drive on the way down I felt was unnecessary and just seemed like an opportunity to "sell" things from that store.
We got to the resort and were greeted with cool towels (since it was warm and muggy) and shown to the lobby where we relaxed, got served chilled Champagne and got checked in. We were escorted to our room and a few minutes later our baggage was delivered to us. The rooms are normal, nothing extravagant, but kept clean. The beds, were unfortunately very uncomfortable and we did not sleep well in them at all. I would suggest getting a walk-out room like we had or a 4th floor room (for an amazing view).

Let me just say that for our wedding, the staff really knows how to take care of you. The photographers and videographers were awesome! Trevon was our videographer and also took pictures of us at the resort the night before our wedding and he ended up being on of our witnesses - he was such a pleasant guy to be around. The wedding planners at the resort were wonderful to work with and made sure every detail was taken care of. I highly suggest doing a private dinner on the beach if you can afford it. We did it for our wedding night dinner and it was amazing! We felt like we were the only people at the resort! I had steak which was done to perfection and my husband had lamb which was also delicious!

The resort itself is great. There were several places to eat. Breakfast was mediocre, we usually ate at the buffet style place. For lunch we mixed it up and ate at a few places, but there wasn't anything that was over the top great about the lunch food. Dinner was by far the best food at this resort. Eleanor's was the best by far. Their food was delicious!

We booked a catamaran cruise, which was through a different company than Sandals and it was suggested that you bring money to tip the staff. We did the glass bottom boat ride through the resort which was ok, but it had rained and the water wasn't very clear. I suggest planning activities and book them through the resort a week ahead of time. You need to book them anyway, but they can book up fast and certain activities require a certain amount of people for them to take place. Plan the activities in the mornings, because if it rains it usually does so in the afternoons.

Definitely go to the Martini Bar! Romeo made me a martini on top of his head then walked around the bar to deliver it to me (while still full and on his head). He was truly entertaining! My favorite drink was the Jamaican Smile, so delicious!

Be warned that they are always trying to sell you something there. The spa workers roamed the grounds frequently to try to get you to buy spa treatments. The photographers were out regularly and took pics of you, which you could buy in the photo store - they didn't harass you too much, but when you go to look at or purchase your pics, they are very spendy. I thought the souvenirs were pretty decently priced and it was the things like suntan lotion, etc that was over priced.

Sandals truly made our WeddingMoon perfect and memorable. We do plan to return on a future anniversary.

Room Tip: We had a corner walk-out room in the Dutch Village right in front of the pool which was very nice an...
3 Thank Kirsten W
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was our first time staying at a Sandals - 15 years ago we had a day pass to Sandals Royal Caribbean and in 2012 we visited Beaches Turks and Caicos. We have had friends stay at Sandals Whitehouse for years. They have been 5 times and loved it. They told us in advance about the road to the resort. It was not a problem. We had a nice gentleman in a mini bus drive my wife and I to the resort, it was about 90 minutes up and over the mountains, twisty road, a cliff at one point and lots of pot holes but no worse than Atlantic Canada after a rough winter. Arriving at the resort there was some confusion about check in as we had been ungraded to Club Sandals/Concierge and we were met and walked over. Our room was not ready - kind of sucked after a 3am wake up and flight so we had lunch and then waited in the Lounge for our room. The resort is beautiful. We loved the fact that the resort is isolated and that there are no other resorts nearby. This is why we chose it. We had been to Jamaica twice before and not overly enthused about the island. We have traveled a lot in the Caribbean (Turks, Cuba, DR, Caymans, St Martin, Barbados, Mayan Riviera etc) to stay on various islands and cruise ship stops. The island of Jamaica is lush and gorgeous but sometimes Jamaicans can be a bit aggressive and saying no thanks or not interested in a kind manner gets you no where. It was much better this time. The resort staff were great (especially Romeo at the Martini Bar and the wedding staff), the transfer drivers to and from the resort were friendly and chatty, our excursion to Appleton Rum Factory was perfect - again the driver and the guide were incredibly informative. Funny that arrival at Montego Bay was the worse customer service we saw. The agent was nasty, snarky, barked at us and constantly snorted - she either had a cold and was sick or she had just finished some drugs out back. Not a favorable first impression to welcome tourists to your country.
We were in Dutch Village which we wanted. It has a nice pool, not very active but also very close to the beach. We played the towel on the chair game that seems to be at all resorts, even highend expensive resorts. We are earlier risers so we had our cappuccino at Cafe De Paris, then breakfast buffet and we on the beach by 9am. Butler Suites have a butler to "reserve" your palapa/tiki hut with chairs, towels and a cooler. All the other room categories fight it out for chairs on the beach or by the pool. The beach must have suffered a very bad storm, lots of erosion in front of Dutch Village and French Village with tree roots. As well bits of coral and lots of sea urchins - bring swimming shoes or you will end of with sea urchin spice. Not very nice to step on one.
Food was great, lots of choice with variety or selection. Seven restaurants. If you can't find something to eat at 7 restaurants you are too picky and should just stay home. We enjoyed all our meals at the resort, some were better than others but none we complained about.
Entertainment was lacking but I guess you are on vacation as a couple and you are suppose to drink, sit by the fire pits, walk on the beach or go back to your room and make your own entertainment.
I would love to stay at another Sandals - we have not been to Antigua, St Lucia or Grenada but we would love to go and Sandals has resorts there.
A Sandals vacation is worth every penny. The attention to detail, the meals, the resorts and rooms, the quality of meals and drinks, the glass bottom, the diving, snorkelling, fitness centre, tennis, etc. We loved Whitehouse and the long walking beach with no other people around! We did a glass bottom boat tour, we did the Appleton Rum tour and we could have done more. We didn't as we just wanted to enjoy the peace and quiet and the beach. Perfect vacation.
We also renewed our wedding vows while there. It was heaven. They took care of everything and getting married on the beach is how we should have done it the first time. We saw lots of brides and groom that week.
I know there are cheaper vacations but this was what we expected for what we paid. This is not a poor corrupt Spanish country so this 5 star ultra all inclusive is different than those in Cuba, the DR and Mexico. If the price is too high, pick another resort chain or another island. The adage is true - you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Dutch Village for a great location and quieter pool, Italian Village for nicer stretch of beach but...
4 Thank Willram
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Sandals whitehouse is our favorite adult get away for many reasons.... A true tropical paradise....

Butler Suites (thank you to Ansley :-). which come with your private beach beds and grass like hut - amazing view of ocean, beach and ocean are clean, quiet pool is relaxing, facility is large so you can walk at night through the gardens, secluded so only Sandals Whitehouse guests are on the beach or walking the property, gym is very nice with aerobic classes, tennis lessons, racquet ball, etc... Food and beverages are excellent... Water sports are fun :-) The spa services are a nice amenity. My list could go on and on ....

Food - average to high rating - skip the outdoor party buffet (I only ate the salad) - French restaurant was excellent but service was slow - Italian restaurant (we do not eat pasta) but the pizza is my favorite - breakfast buffet has a great variety to meet any dietary needs - all other restaurants were delicious!!!! You will not go hungry :-)

Drinks - high rating - double shots as requested with a smile - high quality liquor - excellent.

Pool and beach beds - low to average rating - pools are clean with great locations - without a butler suite the beach and pool beds are a hassle - I set my alarm for 5am to go out and reserve a beach chair with my towel and book or else we went without until the late afternoon ... we upgraded to a Butler Suite and no longer had this burden.

Evening Entertainment - low to average rating - evening shows/activities are ok - the sandals team is fun and talented but there really wasn't a show that wowed us. I have seen very good entertainment at The Royal Grand (their beach party is the best I have ever experienced) and Excellence properties. Sandals really needs to benchmark and make improvements. I love the martini bar piano sing along nights (I wish they did the sing along every night and for more than an hour). The late night dance party is for the younger crowd in my opinion.

Rooms - good to excellent rating - several categories to pick from - excellent views from all rooms - butler suites are amazing !!!!

Concierge service - average amenities - the staff is excellent! The services provided are average - Sandals needs to benchmark with The Excellence Group - I hope Sandals concierge lounge expands providing an open bar with a bartender, hot and cold selection of snacks and finger foods, etc...

Grounds - excellent rating - beautiful gardens - walking paths - a tropical community with a spacious layout .

Commute from airport - poor rating - pay for the helicopter ride - the 1:45 hour drive is terrible - narrow windy roads with huge potholes - dangerous in my opinion.

Spa - average - there are many services to pick from - excellent quality - but this is not a spa resort.

Weddings - we renewed our wedding vows - beautiful ceremony locations, professional wedding team, photography was excellent quality. The lawn crew decided to mow and weedwack in the middle our our ceremony and private reception - i couldn't even hear my music play during the reception ... The sandals wedding crew stopped the lawn crew after I got upset and raised my voice. I do understand the maintenance crew has all large property to manage and must keep to a schedule BUT Sandals should manage around a wedding. The wedding team forgot to press my wedding dress so 3 hours before the ceremony - they corrected the oversight and my dress was perfect - I didn't appreciate the extra stress but they corrected the situation immediately. The cake and hordouves were yummy!!! Overall, I have wonderful memories of my renewal of vows and would pay for the ceremony again given the wedding team is so professional and ceremony locations are beautiful :-)

We have stayed at several properties in Mexico and Jamaica. There are two resort chains that we prefer over all. Sandals is our favorite. My husband and i look forward to a quiet, relaxing, sun-filled getaway each year. (We are not partiers and do not like crowds). Sandals Whitehouse exceeds are personal needs for a vacation location, desired amenities, amazing Butler Suites and exceptional service. We feel like Sandals is our family!!!!

--Ladybug

Room Tip: Butler one bedroom suite - corner units.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AHealthyNewMe
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

6 of us stayed at Whitehouse for 1 week in April 2014. after reading all reviews and forum comments for Whitehouse for the past 6 months i had a general idea of what to expect. we have stayed at several resorts in Varadero , Punta Cana and Mayan Riviera. here we go.
the arrival at the airport was fine . the Sandals lounge was very crowded with not enough seats for every one and a line of 6-8 people for the one beer tap. ( there were 2 but one was empty ) a nice touch but nothing special. the bus transfer to the resort is approx 1.5 hours with a stop for bathroom or a drink. vehicles in Jamaica travel on the left side and the road is narrow. I enjoyed the drive through the countryside. checkin was very disorganized. we passed our resort confirmation papers to a Sandals employee but we just waited in the lobby for about 30 minutes . when another bus arrived those guests went to checkin and were given their room keys. the excuse given was that 3 buses arrived at approx the same time . also one of our group was booked into a room with another guest whom was not with us. our room ( basic )was fantastic . nice size with coffee , water , juice and pop. no liquor which I knew. the scenery is awesome and yes each room has an ocean view , some better than others. it rained every day late afternoon some days a 30 -40 minute shower other days a 1 - 2 hour downpour. most employees confirmed that it rains a little most days . the beautiful beach off the resort premises was great. you need to sign out with security but it is beautiful . the beach in front of the resort although beautiful to view is disappointing. when you walk in the water ( 6 -8 feet from water's edge ) the bottom quickly becomes mucky. the restaurants are nice and the food is great. lots of options . all staff are very friendly ,always helpful and asking if there is anything they can do for you. we had a great vacation and the resort and staff are nice. after all the Sandals lovers reports i was expecting something exceptional. This resort and staff are no better or worse than Bahia Principe , Iberostar or Gran Palladiums. the small beach with course sand does not measure up to the awesome beaches of Varadero or Punta Cana .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!