“Nice stay, but food needs some improvement”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

It was our first time in Jamaica. The ride to the hotel was not bad, a bit bumpy but overall experience has been good.

We had a room in french village. We spent our days at the beach by the windsurf and waterskiing, then we wnt to the hot tub, at night we had some night a swimming and hot tub. The hotel is nice and relaxing.

We loved the hotel, the beach is beautiful. There is some sea weed in the water, but it was not a deal breaker.

Service was outstanding, the staff would go over and beyond to help you and satisfy your wishes.

The rooms were kept an clean, a bit outdated but cozy.

Hot tubes and swimming pools were great. The hot tubs are heated, well kept and clean, so are the pools. There was light by the water, which was amazing for night swimming, the lights were up at the pools as well and we used it as a chance to go for a dive after dinner.

The only downside was food, it was ok, but not outstanding, not gourmand in any way.

We loved the stay and even considering the ok food, we would go back whenever we get a chance.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kirunchik
There are newer reviews for Sandals South Coast

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This resort is exactly what we were looking for! Relaxing, fun, great food, friendly, clean, and the staff was awesome! We talked to a lot of people at the resort. A lot of the guest it was not their first time there. Which is defiantly a good sign. And most have been to different sandals resorts and sandals whitehouse is their favorite. It was on a scale from 1-10 a 20! Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice!
3  Thank Janet D
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I love this resort so much we've been here twice! Sep 2012 (honeymoon) and Sep 2013. I feel like if we stay anywhere else we'll be disappointed, the staff is amazing and friendly, the food is delicious, all rooms are ocean front, the beaches are beautiful! You cannot go wrong with this resort!! :)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jamie H
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We visited Sandals Whitehouse in late February 2014. This was our first "Sandals" experience and aside from some travel issues it was the perfect vacation! Arriving in Montego Bay-being greeted and transferred to our resort was an aswesome experience. Yes, the road to the resort is a little scary at times but glad we had that time to experience the "true" Jamaica. Plus arriving at the resort is worth the drive-absolutely beautiful and their customer service is 2nd to none. Our room was on the 3rd floor of the French Village right above the busiest pool-our view was very pretty of the ocean and evenings were very quiet so no complaints from us on noice. We hung out at the pool or the beach and like everybody getting a beach chair requires getting up early and playing the game the same as any beach resort but not a big deal and later in the day there were always chairs available. We love sunsets and each night we were there we were blessed with beautful ones. Food was very good and waits not too long for the most part. One night we really dressed up and went to Eleanors-after checking in we were never called for a table so ended up never eating there but went to Bayside Grill. That was disappointing but no a huge deal. Loved the chocolate extravaganza and all the great entertainment each night-so much better than other resorts we have been to. We did do the catamaran trip to Pelican Island which was very fun and beautiful-wish we would have sailed a bit instead of motoring but still a great day. My husband went snorkeling and loved that. We got couple massages one day and the Redlane Spa was very nice. People for the most part were very friendly and we made some nice friends while there which made it very fun. Loved the Cafe' de Paris for coffee, treats and especially chocolate ice cream. A few little things-wished we would of had screens on our windows and sliding door for fresh air and to listen to the waves at night and would like to see non-smoking but those are minor and we loved our "Sandals" experience and look forward to our next vacation at one of their fine resorts.

Room Tip: Loved that all rooms had an ocean view-we loved our 3rd floor view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank MontanaVacation1
Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I were at Whitehouse April 5 to 19. It was our fifth Sandals vacation and our third time at Whitehouse. Yes, the drive to/from the airport is long, but worth it in our opinion. Actually, it seemed shorter this time because we recognized landmarks which helped us to track our progress.

We stayed in a Honeymoon Beachfront Penthouse Club Level Room in the Dutch Village, and it was lovely. The view across the pool to the ocean was spectacular. I could see the ocean while lying in bed! Our concierge, Allen, stopped by our room regularly to check on us and took very good care of us.

The food is very good (the lamb at Giuseppe’s is the best we have ever had). It’s the employees, though, who make Whitehouse a wonderful holiday destination. Karlene at Eleanor’s is a wonderful hostess and has a great staff : Fiona and Kemesha are very friendly and professional, and Plummer, who has only been serving for a few months, is a great addition. Caveta at Neptune’s bar greeted us with a smile and always knew that my husband wanted 12 year-old rum on the rocks. Synovia, Ashani and Gaville at Giuseppe’s were always happy to see us and provided top-notch service (We met Ashani on our first visit to Whitehouse and he still remembers our names. Quite remarkable when you consider how many visitors he meets!). My husband went on three dives and said dive crew were very professional, friendly and knowledgeable. Special shout out to Errol at the main pool and Keisha in housekeeping (best towel artist!).

The grounds are beautiful and the beach is wonderful for long walks. We are early risers and never had a problem finding chairs in our favourite spot. The pools are clean and there was no shortage of floats.

We would definitely return to Whitehouse!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

My new husband and I just returned from our week long WeddingMoon at SWH. This might be a lengthy review but it will be very detailed and helpful so bear with me.

We did our trip Weds-Weds which I think was a great idea. Getting through the Montego Bay airport was very seamless. The Sandals lounge, while neither bathroom was working, was very nice for the short time we waited for our bus to the resort. The ride to the resort was not nearly as bad as I expected given some of the other reviews, so just get comfortable and enjoy the view. SWH truly comes out of nowhere when you're driving there and once you enter the resort it's pure heaven.

They welcome you with a smile, and since we already checked in online, we just had to give a CC for incidentals and we were taken to our room. The only downside at this point was it took 45 minutes for our luggage to get to our room. After a long flight, all we wanted was to get our sunscreen on and head to the pool. That was a little frustrating but it did finally arrive. We stayed on the 2nd floor of the Dutch area in a Beachfront Luxury room.

We headed over to Bluefields for lunch. The food was not great. I ordered the Jerk Pork Quesadilla and I barely tasted any pork at all.

After lunch we headed to the Dutch pool where we pretty much set up shop for the week. It was my favorite place to be. Very relaxed and quiet, unlike the Main Pool which was non stop activities and the French Pool which had a lot of loud music. The pool floats were my absolute favorite part. The guys at the Dutch beach bar were awesome and made the best drinks - you must try a Dirty Banana and a Strawberry Daiquiri with Blue Curacao.

Food - I was pleasantly surprised at how good the food was. My husband and I are both foodies who live in NYC - The food capital. Aside from our not so great lunch at Bluefields everything else was fantastic.
Jasmine's - nice atmosphere, they have a great signature cocktail called Delight. The portions here are on the smaller side so order and app and a main dish.
Giuseppes - we went here a total of 4 times in a week. 3 times for Dinner and once for their lunchtime pizza. This was by far our favorite. The great part about this place is they have an antipasto and salad bar so you really get a lot to eat. My favorite dishes were the duck risotto and the seafood pizza (lunch).
Bayside - for dinner, the atmosphere wasn't spectacular because it's quite large in order to accommodate the breakfast and lunch buffets. The meal we had, however, was quite good. I had a pork tenderloin with a blue cheese sauce. Yummy. The Breakfast buffet was really good. They had something for everyone. I have a major sweet tooth so I was loving all of the delicious pastries. They also have healthy options like Eggs, Fruit, Cereal, Granola, etc. The coffee is great too. For lunch, it was hit or miss. We went on Thursday and they had yummy tacos and delicious chicken curry, but I think that was just a Thursday thing because we never saw it again.
Neptune's - went here for lunch one day and it was decent, but dinner was FANTASTIC. I had the seafood cannelloni which was really good.
Cafe de Paris - I saved the best for last. I'm not ashamed to say we were in here sometimes 3x a day. Shadae is SUCH a sweetheart. Their Peanut Butter cookies were my week long addiction. They make great lattes and cappuccinos too. I never got one but a lot of people were coming in to order Nutella crepes!

The staff is so friendly. Everyone says hello when they see you and are very accommodating. Some stand out staff members were Tashelle at Giuseppe's, Damion at the Dutch bar, Shadae at Cafe de Paris, Girleen and Sanet at the spa (more on them later) and Sebrina in the wedding department.

WeddingMoon - We arrived the the resort on a Weds and were married 2 days later. There were a few weddings at the Dutch Beach Gazebo and nearby piers. Initially I really wanted to get married on the beach - afterall, isn't that the whole point of getting married in the Caribbean? However, after seeing a few of these weddings, we weren't into how out in the open they all were. The beach area is so small and these weddings lacked an intimate setting. I didn't want to "walk down the aisle" right next to people sunbathing. It just seemed strange to me. My husband is more private so he was hoping we could do the ceremony somewhere a little further away from the crowds. When Sebrina took us by the French Garden we knew it was the spot where we wanted to get married. It was lush and tropical with gorgeous plants and flowers and there was hardly anyone around, which we loved. We went back to the wedding office with Sebrina and signed some documents and did our cake tasting. We went with the Caribbean fruit cake because it was so unique and delicious.

Wedding Day - I never knew a wedding day could be so chill and relaxing. We had breakfast, lounged at the pool and then I left to get ready. Sebrina met me in our room about 10 minutes before I was to walk down the aisle. We listened to hip hop and danced so that I could relax. She led me down to where I needed to be, keeping me calm the whole time. I really appreciate her for that.

Spa - I went in on Thursday to get a Manicure, Pedicure and my trial hair and makeup. I had the good fortune of getting Sanet for all of these treatments. We had a great time gabbing for a couple of hours. It was the best manicure and pedicure I have ever had in my life. We went to a separate are for hair and makeup and she knew exactly what I wanted. She truly listens to what you want and does whatever you ask...more blush, less eye makeup, etc. While She was doing my makeup, the Asst Spa Manager, Girleen came in to check on me. She was such a doll. They both were. I told them my husband and I didn't invite any guests to witness our wedding so if they were free the next day they should stop by. I was so happily surprised to see both of their smiling faces while we got married. It was so kind of them to take time out of their day for me, who two days prior was a complete stranger. That meant so much to me and I will never forget it.

Beach - this was the biggest disappointment. There wasn't a lack of chairs or a problem with the sand but the water was so murky. From a distance it looks like crystal clear turquoise waters but when you walk into it it's very rocky and not clear at all. This really made me sad. I was hoping for the same clear blue water we had in Riviera Maya, Mexico.

All in all, it was a great, memorable trip. However I don't know that we would return to a Sandals

5  Thank ALK766
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This review is dedicated to the people at Whitehouse and Ruth Demuth who make Jamaica feel like home for us.

We must start this review by extending kudos to Ruth Demuth from TripGuy Travel whom we’ve been working with for four years now. From the initial booking of our vacation to the return home, Ruth is there for us! Her professionalism, attention to detail, and love for what she does are just some of the reasons will continue to work with Ruth and recommend her to our friends. Her expertise and service is top notch! Ruth accommodates our every need, ensuring our vacation is nothing less than perfect!

And perfect our last holiday was! From 4/12-4/19/14 we returned back “home” to the Whitehouse. We have been to Sandal’s seven times and four of those visits have been to the Whitehouse. So obviously, we love the Whitehouse for all the reasons mentioned in each five star review on Trip Advisor! Our only concern was the erosion to the beach on the French side but other than that food, service, grounds, new additions to the resort…..keep us coming back.

The people there are a major part of the reason we return. When Leroy at the front desk recognized us and made us feel so welcomed to be back, it set the tone for a fabulous week.

Sandra and Dorothy from the Red Lane Spa provided us with a relaxing couple massage! Each day Sandra found us on the beach or at the pool to say hello and chat. It was a pleasure to get to get to know her. Sandra – One Love!!!

Be sure to visit Germaine, Rudain (who for four years now has been doing a fabulous job), Marlon, Myers, and Tanu at the French pool/bar; Delroy, Gaeton, Fitzroy, and Damion at the Dutch bar/pool; Keon, Fletcher, Troy(Amigo! Amigo!) and Romeo at the Martini bar; Peta Gay at Bay Side for dinner; Gaville at Guiseppe’s; and Kevin (Gully Creeper) at Neptune’s bar.

Housekeeping did an amazing job and we wish we had written the ladies name down to show our appreciation. (We stayed on the first floor at the Dutch village.) There are so many people behind the scenes at Whitehouse as well that contribute to our vacation- we appreciate all they do!

A special thanks to Rick, who we met at Dunn’s River and the Royal Caribbean, for suggesting we try the Whitehouse! We were happy to see you at Whitehouse the last few years and run into you this vacation as well!

We can’t wait to Soon Come Back!

9  Thank Shannon M
#8 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!