“8 Great days at Whitehouse”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
TORONTO
“8 Great days at Whitehouse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

On arrival we proceed to the Sandals lounge where we were escorted to our private transfer that we booked for the ride to Whitehouse .Let me say the ride is about an hour and half along a road that is full of pot holes the size of craters and bends and turns not for the faint of heart would suggest taking the private car or the helicopter well worth the cost. On arrival at the resort we were checked in at the Club. Our room was in the Dutch village very nice overlooking the Dutch quiet pool and the Ocean. My Wife and I have been here before in 2007 the resort has changed for the better with all the shrubbery and flowers that have matured, amazing grounds. The beach is very long with a lot of cabanas to seat under; we had no problems getting chairs at the beach or the pools. It’s a little rocky near the shore when you first enter the ocean after that it’s fine, water shoes would be useful. There is three pools the main pool Riviera is the pool that has most of the activity, we stayed around the French pool as it wasn’t as busy or as loud plus they poured a better drink not as strong, the other pool was the Dutch or quiet pool for people that wanted to take it easy. For dinner the resort has six restaurants all of them are very good our favorite was Neptune’s service and food was excellent. In the morning having a coffee from Café De Paris and sitting watching the Peacocks was great very relaxing .Before dinner a martini at Casa Blanca is a must Romeo will mix and serve from the top of his head .After dinner Neptune’s is the place with Kevin and Keon serving up the drinks great vibe lots of places to sit and relax and enjoy the evening. The Staff and food is what sets Sandals apart from other resorts saying that the only down side to this Sandals is the staff sitting people, with the exception of Neptune’s all the other restaurants seemed to be disorganized, people where left waiting to be seated with no staff at the door .One of the highlights of our vacation was having dinner on the beach for our 35th Anniversary serve and food was fantastic. A tip keep your beach towel for the next day clean ones are a little slow coming out

Room Tip: book a room on the upper floors better view Water shoes for the Ocean keep your beach towel for th...
3 Thank BOB107

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,049)
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed at Sandals Whitehouse for a week for our honeymoon. Couldn't have been happier with the resort. Beautiful scenery and wildlife, great food, and plenty of sun. The service was second to none, more companies should be run this way.

Room Tip: The concierge level is pretty clutch (bar in the room), though a 1.5 bathroom suite would be nice, t...
1 Thank Matt B
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

It was Reunion week,with lots of things to do. We took the heli from airport to the resort, it is a most to do at least once. Fantastic ride and you see so much.We also did Mobay which gets you in and out of the airports easier and faster. We stayed in the Italian village and our room was great, it was on the corner. Went to Club Sandals to do our check in which is more relaxing then the lobby that can be busy. Many people to thank this time to make our stay the best. Fizroy,Krystal at Club Sandals. Marsha,Nicola and Taniel and Shaniki at Bayside.Marsha greeted us almost every day with a awesome smile. The ladies sure took care of us for everything we needed. At the cafe Felecia and Sheree made our coffees and crepes, and it was so good!
We had a very special dinner at Jasmine that Sherwin make for us, oh so good!
One morning we went to learn about jerk chicken with Chef Laire, with another couple. The next day we had it for lunch and it was the best chicken ever! Love Chef Laire!!!
Our room was taken care of by Taquise, it was so nice to see all the towel art and our room so clean.Thank you Taquise. The property gardens and landscape is taken care of by many but
Oshoi is full of knowledge of anything you like to know about the gardens. Oshoi is very friendly and does tours.
There was many weddings on the beach that week,as the property is so beautiful.
All the staff at SWH are friendly and with smiles every day. Thank you for another awesome holiday!

Room Tip: The Dutch and Italian villages are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Meow24
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was our 6th SWH Vacation, this time we booked for Reunion Week April 21 and once more we were not disappointed. We stayed for 8 days this time. This review will highlight mostly the Stuff and Management.
This time we took the transfer by air and used Captain John's Island Hoppers (http://www.jamaicahelicopterservices.com/about.htm) we were at the resort in a fraction of the time, we have done the shuttle and private transportation, but by helicopter was fantastic, we traveled with another couple (great friends of ours) so this made the cost more reasonable, the consensus was we would do it again.
Upon arrival we were greeted with those amazing warm smiles from everyone along with a cold towel and refreshing drinks, then immediately taken to Club Sandals where we were greeted again by our Club Sandals good friend Fitzroy, let me just say this.....Fitzroy went beyond his duties to make sure we had the best time ever at SWH, he was outstanding, also must give great kudos to Sereika, Ava and Krystal, SWH Club Sandals workers are way above any other Sandals resorts Club Sandals we have stayed.
We were taken to our room #1324 in the Italian Village, this was a first for us, typically we stay at the Dutch Village and we were rather impressed we had an amazing view of the private pool, beach ocean and amazing sunrises as well as partial sunsets.
STUFF.....no matter where we went what restaurant we ate what bar we frequented the stuff was amazing, must mention a few that deserve that recognition....Copeland. Damion at the Dutch Bar. Cafe Paris, FELICIA, Samantha, Shanice and Shadae Brown thank you so much.
Bayside---Marsha what an amazing host/server, she always made our breakfasts and lunches so special, also at Bayside Taneil Forbes and our great friend Nicola Daley as well as the omelette queen Tamara, a huge thank you.
Jasmines: Thank you Sherwin you are the best, we ate twice this time here it's our favorite, the second dinner was amazing, Sherwin had a dinner prepared totally off the menu and the best we ever had. Thank you.
Main Desk: Thank you Davion Allen....you are a true professional at your job.
Grounds: No one is better than Oshoi....he sure takes pride on keeping the grounds immaculate and most important he has become a dear friend.
This is a partial portion of many stuff that deserve to be pointed out, to you all Thank you so much for being the best of the best at what you all do.
Reunion Week...we wanted to see what was all about, WH had a few special activities, I was disappointed with the Gala dinner, our first time ever at WH was during a RW and we were impressed with all the Gala dinner they put out for the returning guests, but this time was just like every other returning guest dinner they put out every week.
Management: The new GM Mr. Courtney Miller and I had a good talk and I was very impressed with his honesty, I am sure Mr. Miller will do have this resort hoping to his tune shortly....Thank you for taking the time to chat with me.
A huge thank you to all the Management after many visits we have gotten to know them well and they sure go out of their way to make sure we feel at home away from home, thank you Rick, Jeffrey, Neil, Paullette, Adrian and Kerone....I am sure missing some names and also misspelled so I ask for don't hold it against me....LOL.
Last but not least.....Executive Chef Laire, we had the pleasure of meeting Laire the last trip we took and quickly we became friends, this trip Chef Laire had a special treat for us and our friends, we had a private lesson on how to marinate Jerk Chicken and on the following day we had the pleasure of doing a BBQ of that marinated chicken we prepared, was absolutely succulent the best Jerk Chicken we ever had, have all this in video and will refer to it whenever I decide to duplicate it at home. Thank you so much Chef Laire you are a portrait of kindness and loving person.
Well in all we had the best trip ever to Sandals Whitehouse our home away from home, for those who are considering a trip to SWH don't hesitate you will not regret it. Yes there are a few issues but nothing that will stop us from going back we are already booked twice for 2015.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gpm11
Seguin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Whitehouse May 7th through May 11th. We rode in the Island Hoppers helicopter with another couple that we traveled with (our friends - thanks to them). The helicopter ride was absolutely amazing. It was a wonderful 25th birthday gift for me! My husband had booked a candle light dinner on the beach for us for my birthday, but when we arrived at the resort they said we were too late since the sales office was already closed. We had dinner at Bluefields with our friends instead. Damona, a server for candle light dinners, was so so incredibly sweet. She brought me a platter of desserts that said Happy Birthday in chocolate, a red rose, and led the singing of Happy Birthday to me. We chose to have her be our server for our actual candle light dinner the following night. We had dinner on the far side of the resort at the French beach. It was perfect. The food was amazing, the sunset was gorgeous, and Damona is truly a gem!

Overall, I was a little bit disappointed with the food compared to Sandals La Toc. There aren't very good options for lunch, especially at Bluefields. The Jerk Pit was kinda disgusting. The pizza was okay. I'm not sure if the lunch food at Neptune's or Bayside were any better. The food for dinner was pretty good, but we were very sad that we missed the Returning Guest Dinner. There was NO LOBSTER :( Apparently the resort doesn't serve lobster between April 1 and June 30. The employees said that the rest of Jamaica doesn't really follow this "out of season" program but the resort definitely does. It was very sad to not get lobster. For the candlelight dinner, they replaced the lobster on the plate I chose with scallops.

The shows in the evenings were quite fun, especially the steel drum band called Silver Birds on Saturday night. They were awesome!!!!!!!

We did the excursion to the Pelican Bar. The catamaran was so fun, and there was a full bar and DJ booth onboard the whole time. It took about an hour or so to get out to the Pelican, but it was totally worth it. Floyd, the owner, was actually at the bar so it was fun visiting with him. We did order the food at the bar; we had one fish plate and one conch plate. The food was pretty bad, and I wish we wouldn't have ordered it but the beer tasted great!

You have to definitely take a walk all the way down past the French beach and check out with the security guard. It's well worth it. The beach is beautiful, and we almost walked all the way down to the little island. It was so much fun.

The bar tenders on the French side were amazing. Delroy, Dex, Marlon, Jermaine, Rudain, and the others were all funny and so entertaining. They were quick and always seemed to be happy. Also, as a side note, it rained every single day for at least an hour. Usually around 4:00 pm. This was great timing to go up to the room and get ready for dinner. It also makes sure that the plants and vegetation on the resort are absolutely amazing!!!

My disappointments:
1) The food was not nearly as good as I was hoping. I was disappointed with lunch especially and even the desserts in Cafe Pari were not impressive.
2) The beach has rocks as you try to enter the water. I'm not sure if the resort put these to make sure the sand didn't erode, but it's very unpleasant. The Dutch beach is suffering severe erosion issues.
3) The resort was unable to send our luggage to the airport in the early bus since it was "full". Therefore, after we got out of the helicopter, we had to wait for at least 45 minutes outside of the Montego Bay airport until our luggage arrived on another random bus from the resort. This was a huge inconvenience. But, the helicopter ride is fabulous!
4) The couples massage is super expensive although we always do enjoy it!

Overally, we had a wonderful time at Whitehouse celebrating our 1st anniversary and spending time with our friends. We ended up booking a 2nd anniversary trip with them as well to Sandals Emerald Bay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the last building of the French village. It's a lot of walking, but I liked that...
2 Thank SabrinaReiley
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We traveled to Sandals Whitehouse Saturday April 12-19th for our destination wedding. We had 12 guests who were in attendance and everyone had such an amazing time!

I am not going to lie, we landed in Jamaica on a Saturday morning and it was very hectic and a little confusing. We had about a 2 hour wait to get through customs with wall to wall people and no air conditioning. Once you get through customs you are able to wait in the Sandals lounge area but it was so over -crowded when we were there we weren't even able to sit and enjoy a beer while we waited. After waiting in the lounge area for about an hour we were told our bus had arrived to take us to Sandals Whitehouse (not totally the case, we stood outside and waited another hour for a bus). I promise these are the only negative comments I have though!

I actually found the bus ride pretty neat. You really get to see some amazing views and get to experience the way of living out there. They make a stop about half way for you to grab a red stripe or use the restrooms. It did take about two hours but it didn't feel that long.

Once we arrived at Sandals Whitehouse we were greeted by staff and taken to the concierge lounge. We stayed in the Italian village on the 4th floor. I would highly recommend the concierge level and a room on the 4th floor. We loved the room service and stocked fridge. It was nice to just be able to grab a beer and sit on your balcony when you wanted to. You can get room service until 10pm so we would order dessert or breakfast a lot just because we could. We also had complimentary Wi-Fi which seemed to be a big deal to some people. We didn't care so much but our family with kids really wished they would of spent the money on a concierge room for just the Wi-Fi alone.

The Italian village is closest to everything but even if you’re in the French or Dutch Village the walk is so beautiful it wouldn't have bothered us one bit. The property is so well maintained and beautiful we took long walks all the time. The resort was at full capacity but it never felt crowded. We are early risers so we did go get lounge chairs at the pool every morning. By about 8 o’clock they were all pretty much spoken for. The beach area was never busy, actually not many people used the beach area for swimming. We were warned to watch for stingray and jelly fish as many people were getting stung.

Tons of restaurants and food choices, trust me you won’t ever be hungry. I ate way to much! The drinks were extremely strong, which I know I shouldn't be complaining about but, wow! The pool bars are entertaining and make sure you ask for a drink menu because they do exist. For some reason they don’t keep them out. On our last day we discovered they had a menu and there were tons of drinks I would of loved to try.

We did go snorkeling which was very cool. You do need to sign up a day in advance because they take you out by boat and drop you off near a reef. They also have a glass bottom boat ride that is worth taking (it’s free) but again you need to sign up in advance. We also did a day excursion which included a tour of the Appleton Rum factory, YS falls, and the black river safari. I would highly recommend YS Falls. This was by far our favorite and we wished we could of stayed longer. The safari was neat (saw lots of birds and alligators) and the Appleton Rum Factory was ok, I don’t think we would do that again though.

Our wedding took place in what they call the “Dutch gazebo”. They had three spots to choose from, two ocean spots and one garden view. All very beautiful but I just liked the tiki hut/gazebo feel. The ocean was in the background and it was perfect for a smaller crowd. We met with the wedding planner the previous day and they took us on a tour to show us the three spots. They then allow you to sample cake flavors and hash out the smaller details. We wanted an early ceremony because that’s when the weather seemed to cooperate the best (there were a few other weddings while we were there and they all had 4 o’clock weddings and they got rained out). We had a small “reception” with a few finger foods and refreshments. This is where they took a lot of pictures! We got a small photo package because of how expensive they were but we had family take lots of good ones too. I would HIGHLY recommend having the video made. It’s expensive but totally worth it! After the short ceremony they took my husband and I around the property to take TONS of pictures. Again, we knew we only ordered 24 photos but of course they try and get you to order more once you review them all. I would recommend looking on pintrest/search the web for some original beach wedding picture ideas because they were a little staged/traditional for my taste. It was short and sweet and the staff did a wonderful job. I wouldn't have changed a thing!

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the 4th floor. The views are the best. Friends of ours were on the 2nd...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cooper2525
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We chose Sandals Whitehouse because we had several couples tell us that we should vacation there. This was our first Sandals vacation and our second all-inclusive vacation (we tend to go on cruises rather than stay at resorts). We had a wonderful time!

The resort is beautiful and secluded. Some people have "taken points away" from the resort for the beach - we thought the beach was beautiful, long and plentiful. I expected much worse after reading the reviews. It's not fair to take points away from Sandals for things that mother nature controls (like beach erosion). It just so happens that people had the same complaint about the other all-inclusive we visited (Cozumel, Mexico) and we thought the beach was fantastic.

We stayed in the Dutch Village in a club-level room. They picked the PERFECT location for us. It was, in my opinion, the quietest area of the resort. The pool was busy but quiet - great for those of us who like to read. Several weddings occurred in the Dutch gazebo yet it was still a very quiet area. We couldn't adjust to the time change, so we were in bed by 9 or 10 every night and it was always plenty quiet to fall fast asleep. Our room was a corner room on the third floor with a nice view of both the pool and the beach. It only rained one afternoon (despite being the start of the rainy season) and it was very enjoyable to sit on our porch and read while the rain fell. We used many of the benefits of the room, including the Wifi, robes, mini-bar and room service. We also utilized the concierge for all our questions and requests - they were FANTASTIC! They remembered our names, they went above and beyond to accommodate any requests and they helped us make decisions about how we wanted to experience our vacation without being "pushy" to make an upsell. We also didn't mind the location - it wasn't really that difficult to get around the resort and I enjoyed the "exercise" from all the walking around plus the beautiful views of beach, exotic plant life and exotic wildlife.

The food was quality. The restaurants are very accommodating of food allergies. I eat gluten free and they made sure every meal was gluten free. Our favorite restaurant for both breakfast and dinner was Eleanors (SWH's more upscale restaurant). For lunch, we enjoyed Bluefields the most (Note: you can see the sun set from Bluefields at dinner). We prefer to eat local cuisine when we visit another country, but just in case you don't like Caribbean food, they have selections like pizza and Asian cuisine. It did not bother us, but I will caution that the menus aren't always current on side dishes (for instance, Bluefields never had plantains available for a side, even when mentioned on the menu that they were a side dish). We took advantage of the private dinner on the beach option for our anniversary. Unfortunately, that was the day it rained, so we couldn't dine in the gazebo as planned, but our server went above and beyond to create a location under a thatch umbrella where we could dine and stay dry. She made the dinner a fun memory as she posed us and snapped photos and then sang us a song. Our dinner came with a personalized menu (Superman and Lois Lane) that we will add to our keepsakes.

We took advantage of the following activities: Snorkling, SCUBA, watersports (sailing and stand-up paddle board), a tour and beach parties.
SCUBA - we only dove once due to an ear problem that I suffered (side note: The nurse and doctor called-in were excellent and made sure I would be healed to fly home. I received a form to submit to my insurance for reimbursement of what we paid for me to see a doctor). Before diving, people were saying the reef is dead, there's no life, bad stuff, bad stuff, bad stuff. We did not have this bad experience. We saw tons of life and the reef was really interesting with lots of changes in terrain (not those flat grassy reefs like in the Keys). We dove as a group with the dive master, but we were all treated as the experienced divers that we were. We saw a sea turtle, a small spotted eagle ray, several large crabs, a lobster, tons of fish in various colors and sizes and we got to see them capture several lionfish.
Snorkling - We went snorkling several times. A little tip - if you are experienced, sit towards the back of the boat to be first off and get more time in the water! We snorkled several different areas of the reef. The coolest thing we saw snorkeling was a large (6-7 foot long) spotted eagle ray.
Watersports - We tried both sailing and stand-up paddle board (SUP). Sailing was by far the most popular water sport and there was always a waiting list for the sail boats. The key to getting a sail boat is to arrive early when they open. SUP's were often available. If you stay somewhat shallow and paddle down the beach, look down and you will see tons of starfish!
This is totally not in Sandals control, but the winds came in early probably 3 days of our stay and shut down beach activities. If you want to do any water sports, we suggest doing them early, in case the strong winds come in (this applies to snorkel and SCUBA also).

We took advantage of one of the tours (Black River and Appleton Rum Factory). It was an excellent tour - very interesting to see a black bottom river (it looks like black water, but the water is clear and the bottom is peat, making it appear black). We saw several "friendly" crocodiles. The Appleton rum tour is like any other distillery tour with a rum tasting at the end. It was interesting to taste the sugarcane along the process (before it became alcohol and after it became rum). The tour guide was excellent and shared lots of info about that area of Jamaica that I doubt we would have learned if we sat around at the resort. Plus, the countryside is so beautiful! A tip here (this applies to the ride to and from the airport also, which really wasn't that bad) - if you have motion sickness, try to sit towards the front of the tour bus so that you can see what is happening on the roads).

Other odds and ends about our SWH vacation:
They spray for mosquitoes using a natural product (I'm assuming citronella), but we still were bitten during the evenings. Take bug spray with you.
The birds on the property are not shy and will try to share your meal. Also one swooped both my head and my husband's head while we were walking along the beach. Nobody was injured!
The resort wasn't full, but seemed busier than I thought it would be for early May. I would agree with the comments that there are not enough beach or pool chairs. If you didn't "play the game" and get a chair early (even though you aren't supposed to reserve chairs), it was hard to find 2 chairs together anywhere near where you wanted to be. I found that at about 1pm, when people go to lunch, lots of chairs would open up. The same is true for towels. We forgot to get towels one morning after breakfast and had to share a towel for most of the day until more towels came out.
We got a cabana one day, after my husband burned the day before (reapply sunscreen often, you Northerners!), and that was well worth the money. It was cool, comfortable, had nicer beach chairs and we had our own waiter who got us anything we wanted.
The organized parties were great fun. There are several private parties for people in concierge level rooms, plus on Mondays there is a beach party with food stations for dinner and fresh coconuts for drinking.
Go to the martini bar and you just might see the bartender pouring and serving drinks on his head!

If I had to complain about the resort, I would only have two complaints (Let me preface by saying that I feel like I'm searching hard to be nit-picky here because that's how nice SWH is): 1) The showers need a shelf or shower caddy. There was nowhere to set my products. There was a little ledge that I tried to use, but my expensive conditioner fell off and broke (I'm happy to report, no loss of product, just a broken container!). 2) Breakfast needs to open just a little earlier, like 7am. Coming from the East coast and being used to getting up at about 6am EST, I found myself wide awake at 5am Jamaica time every day. It was a long time to wait for breakfast at 7:30 or 8am. The French cafe is open early, however being gluten free and someone with blood sugar problems, that food didn't seem to be a good idea for me.

I can't end this review without talking about how wonderful and friendly the staff is. This was our third trip to Jamaica and one of the reasons we are drawn to the country is the people. They are so friendly! Take a country of very friendly people and recruit the very best of those people and you have the staff at SWH. EVERY SINGLE staff member acknowledged us every time we would walk by a staff member. The property is nice, the beach and ocean are beautiful, the activities are fun and the weather is paradise, but it is probably the staff that make SWH such a wonderful place to stay!

Room Tip: Upgrading to a concierge level room is worth it!
3 Thank onebratt08
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,748 reviews

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!