My Husband and I traveled to Sandals Whitehouse May 21-30 and it felt as though we were in Paradise for 10 days! The airport transfer went very well and we enjoyed knowing exactly where our pick up would be inside the airport as Sandals has a lounge there and they have your name on a list and get you on a transfer pretty quickly from what we experienced. You can use a more private bathroom in the lounge and get a drink, snack or whatever for the ride to the resort. They are very good at marking your luggage as well to make sure everything arrives safely. You get a ticket that goes with each piece of luggage as well. If anything would get misplaced they can track it with that ticket.
The ride to the resort I felt was not that bad. I am from PA so am used to the roads not being good in places and really did not feel they were really out of the ordinary for a place that sees a lot of bad rain at times. I can experience motion sickness so did take some non drowsy Dramamine before the plane ride and then took another one just for the ride. The roads do twist a lot through the mountains.
Upon arrival our room was ready and we were shown to our room by an escort. We were given a tour along the way as to where things were. We were set up in The Italian Village which was very nice on the 2nd floor. We were booked into a Luxury Beachfront room which was perfect for us. No need for a butler for us and this category still had the refrigerator with soda, water and juice. Also no need to pay extra for alcohol in your room since you will have plenty on the resort. I would be ready for water actually! I would get a drink and take it along up to our room at the end of the night to drink and leave the glasses at the sink. That seemed to be ok since nobody ever said otherwise.
The room was nice with a large king sized comfortable bed and linens. They have extra pillows and blankets in your closet if you need them which we did. If not, just call the front desk I am sure they will bring whatever you need. The room was a little smaller than I was used too but it was clean and cozy and seemed that everything was set up so you had everything you could possibly need. They had good TV channels available. The balcony was also very small but it was comfy to sit on after being at the beach all day. There is an actual window as well which brings in better light. I wish there would have been screens in it and the windows would have opened to be able to enjoy the sound of the waves at night though. The tree frogs are very loud here just be aware if your a light sleeper you may want earplugs. They did not bother me at all, I actually enjoyed them.
The food here was very good! We especially liked Neptunes and Eleanore's. The seafood pot at Neptunes was my favorite dish all week and the filet at Eleanore's. The jerk pit was very good too! The breakfast buffet was perfect every morning! We did have crepes one day too! The Café De Paris was the best!!! Every day before going up from the beach to our room we would get coffee and treats. All the food was good. The drinks were good too. Jamaican food is good to begin with-you will not get sick on this island which makes it so much better than a lot of the destinations you can choose from. They serve decent wine which is a plus as well. I never ordered any specialty wines but you do have that option with your dinner-there is a charge but you can get it.
There was plenty of room when were there at the pool and beach. We spent most of our time at the beach. It was so pretty. The sand was nice and the water was clear. Do bring water shoes as there is sea urchins in there water there. We saw a few people step on them. They were out along rocks ect and not in the swimming area though. We stayed in the designated swimming area and did not have any issues when we did not wear our water shoes but when we went exploring out further wore them and were fine. It is nice to see the more natural water but then you will have issues you should be aware of. When you snorkel make sure that you do not swim into the reef. It is high up and you should stay clear and look at the higher points from the side of the reef. This was not explained by the people who take you out and you need to be aware that you should not touch or run into it as it is not good for the reef and it will cut you quite good.
We took the excursion out to the Pelican Bar. This was a highlight of our vacation and we will never forget it! We did not take anything to leave at the bar but please do! We had our names carved into the driftwood. The catamaran ride was the best I have ever been on. The catamaran is right at the resort and the staff was so nice. They take pictures that you can buy then from the trip. They actually take pictures the whole time you are there and just attach them to your room. We set up a photo shoot and had formal ones taken too. We bought a little package at the end that included a picture frame and Sandals photo album. They really take there time to make sure you like your pictures so make sure to have enough time because they work so hard to make sure you like them. We had made other plans the night we had ours and had to rush our photographer and wished we could have took more time for the pictures. They were very nice.
The wait staff was the nicest I have every experienced anywhere we have been. I especially have to thank Cleighton at the water sports! Finally my Husband and I went sailing on the Hobie Cat. No only that but we kayaked as well. It was so much fun.
Also I have to thank Anna for making the pool bar so fun! We will forever miss hearing someone call out Alice!! Donny!!! everyday!!! I wish I could have brought her home with me. What a pleasant, sweet person.
We saw a lot of weddings when were there and if you are planning one then this should be on the top of your list! It was perfect for weddings and romance and relaxation.
We needed this vacation more than ever this year as my Father passed away in January after a long illness and this was a first class way to put me in the "healing" direction.
I thank the Jamaican people for helping to "heal my very soul" for this I will never forget this trip or the people I met-to Jamaica and Sandals Whitehouse we say Thank You!!!! Until we see you again you will forever live in our hearts!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Prestigia and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica