My husband and I stayed at this resort 6/15 - 6/22. We chose to doing something different and said why not splurge on a Sandals vacation because we never did one before. I'm really not sure that I would ever do a Sandals vacation again. After that long, horrendous ride from the airport to the resort (which took 2 hours due to heavy rain) we arrived around 5:00pm. We had a "Club" room so we had a separate check in. Well they ask to see my "booking" of the room and then make you fill out some paperwork with your return flight and I say, I need my "booking" information back because it had my flight times on it. They can't find it. I literally just handed it to them 10 minutes before requesting it back and they "can't find it"! I was not very happy and they did look they were trying to find it but they never did. Good thing I just bought an android phone and was able to look up my reservation online because otherwise I wouldn't know what time my flight was.
We tell them that it is our 25th wedding anniversary on 6/17. Never saw a note, flower, etc. on that day. The worst thing about this is when I was on the elevator sometime in the afternoon that day I went to my room for something and saw a girl with a cart that had plates of chocolates, plates that had "Happy Anniversary" on them with cake and I thought well hey....one of those will probably come to our room. IT DID NOT!!! Never a mention of it in their daily "Breeze" paper either. But they mention everyone else's Honeymoons, etc in this paper. Not that this is a big deal but I know when I booked this my travel agent made sure to mention that it was our 25th anniversary and then when we checked in they specifically asked us if we were celebrating anything. Whatever....it's not that big of a deal but I have been to other less costly resorts and they have always done something for us.
I didn't appreciate the day of our anniversary we had a 7:15am wake up call! We did not ask for a wake up call and they are quite lucky I was already up because I would have made a serious complaint. How do you mess up a room number wake up call when they know who you are at the desk when you call?? Also, we were not able to fix the clock in our room. It was off by about 3 hours.
When our travel agent booked this trip we were told that we were going to receive $150 in Spa credits. Well....we never saw those and then when you read the spa rules it says that you can't use your credits when a treatment is marked down for that particular day! We didn't even bother asking for them. Live and learn I guess you can say.
We purchased the Honeymoon Beachfront Penthouse. The room had a nice view of the pool/beach but it does say that these rooms are supposed to come with double sinks in the bathroom. We only had one, which isn't that big of a deal but one sink then means only limited amount of space to put your bathroom acccessories. They also give you a list of the TV channels in the book in your room but the channels in the book do not actually match up with the channels on the TV. But....you only need your TV for a little while when you are getting ready to go to dinner and before you go to sleep. We wrote down the channels and left them in the bedside drawer so the next people don't have to hunt and peck for a certain channel like we did.
Overall the food was pretty good. Was not a fan of Ellenores or Neptunes and I'm not really a big fan of eating outside at night. There are way too many bugs in fact I had a very large black beetle type bug insist that my hair was his stopping point that night. I do not like bugs so I had a little freak out moment. You definately need bug spray and even then you still feel bugs biting at your legs at night. Which brings me to the next point. You obviously have to spray yourself as soon as you get up everyday if you plan on going anywhere near the beach. My husband and I were covered in sand fly bites everyday before we figured out that we were getting them during the day and not at night!
The people that work here are fantastic. There wasn't one person there that I didn't think wouldn't go out of their way to help you. My personal favorites were Richard at the Dutch Village Bar. He would make me a new drink everyday! Also, Ascendia at Bayside would always greet us for breakfast or lunch at Bayside and then come talk to us when she wasn't busy to ask how our day was and what we were going to do.
Now the ride home - that was a trip too!!! Our driver asks if anyone wants to make a pit stop halfway between the airport and resort. A few people did, but the gas station that he was going to stop at was closed and then you look out your window and see someone peeing on the side of the road! Well he didn't stop here - he went up a few miles and stopped at this hole in the wall gas station. The men who did get off the van to use the "bathroom" so it was so bad that they ended up walking around back and peed on the building. I didn't even bother getting out of the van. I had such bad motion sickness from the driver speeding up and then slamming on his brakes because they had to let a car pass all the time - I didn't want to get out and risk getting sick.
Overall, we did have a good time because it was still better than being home or at work but I don't believe I would do another Sandals resort again. I know Sandals totes that has superior service. They do have a great service but it really is about the same as I get when I stay at a 6 golden apple resort. To me.....Sandals is really not worth the extra money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica