“Wonderful 10th Anniversary Trip!!!! Thanks Sandals!”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We visited Sandals Whitehouse for our 10th wedding anniversary from June 14th to June 22nd. I am a nerd and do extensive research before I book any property -- so I was fully aware about the reports of the drive from Montego Bay Airport to the resort. We had also vacationed at Sandals Antigua last year, so I wanted to try Whitehouse which some say is very similar in terms of size, etc.

We booked Club MoBay for arrival and departure in to Montego Bay and I'm glad I did. The customs line was 2.5hrs long! We were whisked through customs and baggage claim within 20 minutes. I also booked a private transfer to the resort by Joe Cool Taxi and our driver Orain was waiting there for us! He got us to Whitehouse in an hour and 10min!!! To be honest, not sure what all the fuss was about the drive -- the way Orain took us, it was only bumpy with road construction for the last 6-8 miles. Other couples we met at the resort, who had traveled by the Sandals Shuttle bus - said it took them TWO HOURS!! We were happy with our drive in and pulled in to the resort happy!

We were whisked to Club Sandals immediately as we had booked a concierge room and had requested the Dutch Village, which we did indeed get. The room was clean and spacious and directly overlooked the ocean and the Dutch pool. We did have a bit of a teenie problem -- when we came back from dinner at Bayside; our lock to the room didn't work and we couldn't get in. My husband went down to Club Sandals (which was right near our building) and they sent someone VERY quickly to check on the lock. While they were doing that - my husband closed the blinds and the whole valance came down!! Once again, Club Sandals came to the rescue immediately and moved us to a different room down the hall. In our new room the next day, we had a lovely note and fruit platter from the Director of Guest Services, Heidi-Ann, who apologized for any trouble we may have had. I had contacted her via email a few days before to see if they could provide distilled water in our room, as I use a CPAP breathing machine at night. Heidi-Ann responded quickly by email and indeed the distilled water was in our original room! It was kind of her to send us a note. I want to thank Anneisha, our room Concierge who called faithfully EVERY NIGHT to make sure we had everything we needed. She even tracked us down twice while she was out and about to introduce herself and give me a big hug. Anytime we needed extra water, or more towels or room service -- we NEVER had an issue. It was always taken care of expediently. The customer service was outstanding in this regard and I appreciated everyone taking care of us so well.

We decided to rent a cabana ($125/day) for our first 3 days and we are so glad we did. Our server, Rienna was an absolute GEM! We would meet her at 9am at Club Sandals, we were then personally escorted to our Cabana, which had a ceiling fan, several types of sun block, a small cooler with ice and a large cooler with champage, water and beer! Reinna would take our breakfast and lunch orders and personally deliver it -- It was heavenly. The first time we rented the Cabana we were at the Dutch Village, but the next 2x's we were in front of Neptune's at the Italian Village and it was our absolute favorite. We liked Rienna so much that we added one Cabana day the day before we left again in front of Neptune's. I can't thank Rienna enough for decorating our Cabana with banners, and balloons and wonderful notes, and lovely towel art. It was amazing! Also thanks to Romaine who was our Cabana server for one day when Rienna was off. Thank you so much for everything.

Dinners were great -- however, I wasn't too impressed w/my dinner at Bayside, but I loved my dinner at Jasmines (Teriyaki Salmon). Elenors was good, as was Neptunes. Guiseppe's was also good, but we didn't get to try Bluefields for dinner as it is on the other side of the resort near the French Village. However, I often ordered the Jamaican beef patties from Bluefields for lunch via our Cabana server and they were to DIE FOR. DELISH!! Also the Bluefield's burgers were excellent. The Jerk Pit was used by many and my husband fell in love with the jerk pork.

Loved the main Italian pool and shout out to Keon, the bar server over there! He was always singing and making sure my husband and I were always taken care of. I also enjoyed the Dutch pool, which was quiet. Many thanks to Demar, the bar pool server over there -- he was a doll!

We did a couples massage with Sanet at Red Lane and it was wonderful! We didn't do any excursions as we really like to read, relax and just take in the sun. Not too many folks in the water due to reports of folks stepping on sea urchins and jellyfish, but the water was very warm and it is best to go swimming in the Italian Village area -- beachfront, in front of the main pool. We brought along water shoes and I'm glad we did. We did go to two shows at Le Caberet, and the Silverbirds Steel Drum performers are NOT to be missed on Saturday night. At the Monday night buffet/beach party, it actually started to POUR rain outside. I have never witnessed such professionalism and speed to move all food indoors to Bayside so that folks could eat and sit while getting out of the rain. The staff moved like lightning and got everything inside. I'm sure they are used to it -- however, it's just amazing how hard they work, which should be applauded.

Whitehouse is absolutely GORGEOUS -- the grounds are immaculate; works were constantly cleaning, raking the beach and they were actually power washing our building when we were there. The firepits areas, concrete walkway that parallels the beach, the comfy outdoor sofas, chairs and umbrellas and all the lovely areas to sit at around the piazza was wonderful. The pools were clean and the water nice and despite previous reviews of people getting up at 6am to get a spot at the pool or beach -- WE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM!!! On the days we had rented a Cabana, we would go to the pool later in the day and NEVER had an issue getting a spot at the pool with shade. On the days we didn't have a Cabana, we always got great spots in the shade at the pool and there were SEVERAL great spots available under the thatched huts or umbrellas on the beach. Not sure where all the negativity is coming from regarding this. Lots of pool activity at the Italian pool, couples games, regular games and trivia. The entertainment staff were amazing: Angelita, Caralee, Awana, Wayon and Sheldon: you are one hard working, fun staff. Thank you!

All in all -- we had a MARVELOUS time. Don't let the drive to the airport scare you -- I had worked myself up in to a tizzy before the trip, reading scary reviews, but it wasn't bad at all. If you are nervous, perhaps book a private driver like we did. Sandals Whitehouse is an amazing, beautiful property and I would return in a heartbeat.

15  Thank VacationBound23
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals South Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Hello and thank your for your review of Sandals Whitehouse!
We could not be more pleased to hear about your excellent vacation experience and the great job our staff did of making sure all your sure all of your needs were met. It was an honor to have hosted such a special Anniversary trip and we appreciate you taking the time to share your lovely memories with us. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at Sandals Whitehouse June 22-28 thanks to a recommendation and help from Mindy Sly at Beach Bum Vacations. Mindy worked with us and provided several options to choose from before we decided on Sandals Whitehouse. Overall, our honeymoon was fantastic there. The resort was extremely clean and the staff were all very friendly. There were several different food choices and we enjoyed all the places we ate at. The restaurant hours are also convenient because something is always open, even for late night snacks. All the rooms are oceanfront and we had a great view of the pool and beach from our balcony. It was also nice to receive a daily newsletter of all the activities going on the following day. The only minor complaints we had were that our room wasn't ready for several hours after we arrived and the ocean was pretty rocky (we had to wear shoes at times). We had a great experience with Sandals and would definitely work with Mindy at Beach Bum Vacations again to stay at another one.

23  Thank Emily H

Thank you for your review, Emily!
We are thrilled that you had a fabulous honeymoon stay at Sandals Whitehouse and enjoyed soaking in all the beauty of Jamaica with us. We always strive to create memorable vacations for two people in love and I'm so happy that we were able to achieve that goal during your visit.
We look forward to making many more wonderful memories with you in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We just celebrated our honeymoon in a butlered suite in the Dutch village. I was somewhat hesitant after reading some reviews, but tried to keep an open mind.

Transport: After reading some reviews, we decided to hire a private car for the transport to the resort. I am SO glad we did. The drive was 1 1/2 hours long and as the driver said, "prepare for some turbulence!". I was sick to my stomach after the drive, but can not imagine what it would have been like in a bus, with lots of people. Definitely worth the money!

Arrival: upon arrival, we were whisked away from the "crowd" by our butler and taken immediately to our room. Our butler, Devaughn, showed us our room, complete with bath drawn and flowers everywhere. Then gave us a brief run down of everything. He gave us a cell phone to use, so we could call him for anything. This took us some getting used to, but after a day or so, we got in the groove (and quite enjoyed) being waited on.

He would make dinner reservations, save our grass hut on the beach and leave a cooler with drinks in it for us, reserve activities, bring us drinks on the beach and just take care of us. Any question we had, he took care of. (we got in trouble for not letting him wait on us - he threatened to send us home if we did anymore work) **Be prepared to tip the butlers and any other staff that personally waits on you (drivers, spa, candlelight dinner, etc) We tipped the butlers (we had 2) based on how much & how well they served us - we paid one $175 and the other $130

Food: the food was amazing, although I am not that adventurous with meals. Our favorite was Eleanor's which you have to dress up for. Very worth it! In two of the restaurants, we couldn't decide which entrée we wanted, so they brought 1/2 portions of both! For an all-inclusive, I was not expecting much food or that great of quality, but the portions were amazing and the quality was top notch. My favorite drink was the Jamaican Smile but my husband loved the Rum Punch. I do agree, that some places will make it too strong, but that's true of anywhere.

Activities: being our honeymoon, we really didn't want to do much but relax and enjoy each other. We did take the lessons on scuba diving and go out. This was a challenge for me. The instructors were, at times, brash and not incredibly patient, especially with the language barrier. I can cross this off the bucket list, however; even though it wasn't on there before the trip...

Candle-light dinner on the beach: my husband arranged for this - This was so incredible it brought me to tears. It was set up on a dock overlooking the ocean - words just can't explain how wonderful it was. We had pre-ordered the food and they got the food all wrong, but I didn't care. I tried rack of lamb for the first time and the experience was absolutely incredible.

Spa: We had a couple's massage which I wasn't really impressed with. They made a big deal out of having us choose our scent for the soy candles used they used the wax for the massage) then they ended up using the wrong scent anyway. The massage was average at best and again the language barrier presented some miscommunication. HOWEVER, I had my manicure re-done while there and the experience was awesome! It was the best manicure I have ever had. I also witnessed the nail tech calm a stressing bride and fix her nails that messed up all while taking care of my manicure. They do 6-8 wedding a day and they treated this bride like she was a queen. Just amazing!

Photos: I do agree that the photos they take, are incredibly expensive. However, we had a couple of photo shoots (one being our candle-light dinner) and we were able to narrow it down to 35 pics on a cd - the money was a bit much, but this was our honeymoon so we justified it.

Beach: our grass hut on the beach was amazing. Again, we simply wanted to relax. I was surprised the water was very blue, but not clear. I do NOT like sea weed or sea life touching me, so I went in the water until I felt seaweed and left very quickly. (husband got quite a laugh) SO, we would lay on our chairs at the beach and walk the short distance to the pool when we were hot. We would stay there briefly and go back to the grass hut.

Things that surprised me: the humidity is not near as bad as Oklahoma, the shopping wasn't as extensive as I had hoped, the flowers and peacocks are amazing, the French pastry shop was fabulous, there are a lot of things/activities to do if you want, but you can stay in the Dutch area if you prefer quiet, we didn't have any issues with bugs (sand fleas or the type), the service was impeccable (even at 3am when we had to leave for the airport).

Complaints: They made us leave - I highly recommend sandals whitehouse for a wonderful couples get-away.

Strongly recommend: private transport both ways, butlered room, candle-light dinner

12  Thank Rachel W
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We visited 6/22-6/29. The bus ride isn't bad if you have Michael as your driver. He dodges all pot holes. When you finally get to the resort they make you sit in the lobby and fill out all this paperwork, which makes no sense what so ever . We arrived at two and were told our rooms weren't ready. Im sorry What!? After looking forward to getting here and I have to sit here for close to an hour since our rooms not ready? Not ok. We finally get to our room and it was very nice and comfortable. We had a letter saying congratulations and cute towel animals. Our room was cleaned everyday too.
BEACH: wear water shoes. There is a area where it is rocky and hurts your feet. Once you get out past this tho the water is beautiful! I wpuld recommend paddle boarding so you can see thru the water farther out.
FOOD: I loved most of the food. Except Eleanors. My favorite place was blue fields. Super yummy!
DRINKS: It depends on who makes your drinks. Some were so strong they were disgusting. Others were delicious. Be sure to get a Dirty banana. It tastes just like a banana milkshake!
SERVICE: service is so so. It seems they do not have enough employees for thr area. . You have to wait 10-15 minutes to get a drink which adds up.
Overall ig was nice. We have decided to try other all inclusive resorts and probably wont return to a Sandals. For the price I feel we should of got more.
ONE MORE THING: If you want pictures taken bring lots of cash. It is $300 for 40 pictures on a CD. Ridiculous!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank KassidyLei
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals South Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Hello and thank you for posting about your stay, Kassidy.

We appreciate you providing us with the highlights of your time at Sandals Whitehouse and your helpful feedback on areas needing some fine tuning. Guest reviews help us to identify both the strengths and weaknesses of our service so that we may ensure that moving forward we provide the best overall vacation experience possible. Therefore, your comments will shared with the General Manager and his team for immediate follow-up. We hope that we can welcome you back in the future for a vacation that exceeds your expectations.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

In my view Sandals Whitehouse is one of the best Sandals resorts in Jamaica.

The resort is huge and the beach almost endless!! It is on the South Coast, away from the hustle of the main resort areas and offers a chance to get off the beaten track. Yes everyone complains about the road but we have driven it and it's not the worst thing ever!

We have stayed here numerous times and the rooms, location and facilities are fabulous. There is a good choice of food, plenty of bars and you'll always find a spare sun lounger on the beach.

We were more than happy here for two weeks and there are plenty of good local tours to fill your days.

Room Tip: All rooms are beach front - but if you can, spoil yourself and get a butler room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nikki N
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at this resort 6/15 - 6/22. We chose to doing something different and said why not splurge on a Sandals vacation because we never did one before. I'm really not sure that I would ever do a Sandals vacation again. After that long, horrendous ride from the airport to the resort (which took 2 hours due to heavy rain) we arrived around 5:00pm. We had a "Club" room so we had a separate check in. Well they ask to see my "booking" of the room and then make you fill out some paperwork with your return flight and I say, I need my "booking" information back because it had my flight times on it. They can't find it. I literally just handed it to them 10 minutes before requesting it back and they "can't find it"! I was not very happy and they did look they were trying to find it but they never did. Good thing I just bought an android phone and was able to look up my reservation online because otherwise I wouldn't know what time my flight was.

We tell them that it is our 25th wedding anniversary on 6/17. Never saw a note, flower, etc. on that day. The worst thing about this is when I was on the elevator sometime in the afternoon that day I went to my room for something and saw a girl with a cart that had plates of chocolates, plates that had "Happy Anniversary" on them with cake and I thought well hey....one of those will probably come to our room. IT DID NOT!!! Never a mention of it in their daily "Breeze" paper either. But they mention everyone else's Honeymoons, etc in this paper. Not that this is a big deal but I know when I booked this my travel agent made sure to mention that it was our 25th anniversary and then when we checked in they specifically asked us if we were celebrating anything. Whatever....it's not that big of a deal but I have been to other less costly resorts and they have always done something for us.

I didn't appreciate the day of our anniversary we had a 7:15am wake up call! We did not ask for a wake up call and they are quite lucky I was already up because I would have made a serious complaint. How do you mess up a room number wake up call when they know who you are at the desk when you call?? Also, we were not able to fix the clock in our room. It was off by about 3 hours.

When our travel agent booked this trip we were told that we were going to receive $150 in Spa credits. Well....we never saw those and then when you read the spa rules it says that you can't use your credits when a treatment is marked down for that particular day! We didn't even bother asking for them. Live and learn I guess you can say.

We purchased the Honeymoon Beachfront Penthouse. The room had a nice view of the pool/beach but it does say that these rooms are supposed to come with double sinks in the bathroom. We only had one, which isn't that big of a deal but one sink then means only limited amount of space to put your bathroom acccessories. They also give you a list of the TV channels in the book in your room but the channels in the book do not actually match up with the channels on the TV. But....you only need your TV for a little while when you are getting ready to go to dinner and before you go to sleep. We wrote down the channels and left them in the bedside drawer so the next people don't have to hunt and peck for a certain channel like we did.

Overall the food was pretty good. Was not a fan of Ellenores or Neptunes and I'm not really a big fan of eating outside at night. There are way too many bugs in fact I had a very large black beetle type bug insist that my hair was his stopping point that night. I do not like bugs so I had a little freak out moment. You definately need bug spray and even then you still feel bugs biting at your legs at night. Which brings me to the next point. You obviously have to spray yourself as soon as you get up everyday if you plan on going anywhere near the beach. My husband and I were covered in sand fly bites everyday before we figured out that we were getting them during the day and not at night!

The people that work here are fantastic. There wasn't one person there that I didn't think wouldn't go out of their way to help you. My personal favorites were Richard at the Dutch Village Bar. He would make me a new drink everyday! Also, Ascendia at Bayside would always greet us for breakfast or lunch at Bayside and then come talk to us when she wasn't busy to ask how our day was and what we were going to do.

Now the ride home - that was a trip too!!! Our driver asks if anyone wants to make a pit stop halfway between the airport and resort. A few people did, but the gas station that he was going to stop at was closed and then you look out your window and see someone peeing on the side of the road! Well he didn't stop here - he went up a few miles and stopped at this hole in the wall gas station. The men who did get off the van to use the "bathroom" so it was so bad that they ended up walking around back and peed on the building. I didn't even bother getting out of the van. I had such bad motion sickness from the driver speeding up and then slamming on his brakes because they had to let a car pass all the time - I didn't want to get out and risk getting sick.

Overall, we did have a good time because it was still better than being home or at work but I don't believe I would do another Sandals resort again. I know Sandals totes that has superior service. They do have a great service but it really is about the same as I get when I stay at a 6 golden apple resort. To me.....Sandals is really not worth the extra money.

9  Thank MauiMe067
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This was our 2nd trip to Whitehouse. We stayed at Whitehouse in May 2005 for our honeymoon and at Sandals Grande Riviera in June 2010 for our 5 year anniversary. We returned to Whitehouse because it was more relaxing to us compared to Grande Riviera, which had a very different feel than Whitehouse. Whitehouse staff and cleanliness also outshine Grande Riviera on many levels. We knew what to expect with the bus ride and we enjoy getting to see some of the country on our way to and from the resort. As always, we were pleasantly greeted upon arrival and immediately started our 7 night, much needed, vacation. The entire staff at the resort was amazing. The entertainment group was fun and friendly: Owana, Prince, and Cheldon were the three we got to know the best and they were amazing. The shows were wonderful and entertaining. We especially loved the steel drum show, the balancing guys, and beach party entertainers (limbo dancer, fire breather, and balancing act). We loved all the food. I have to say that, on this trip, Jasmines was my favorite. Their food was absolutely amazing! The cooks are always willing to accommodate if you have a any special requests. There was a guest that came in with a gluten and dairy allergy while we were in Cafe de Paris and they made him a special dessert to accommodate his allergies. The returning guest dinner was delicious and fun. We had one of Sandal's engineers sitting at our table and it was really interesting listening to him explain some of the workings of the resorts. We liked visiting the Martini bar after the evening shows. Romeo and Troy are some of the best bartenders around and a lot of fun. It did rain every day from around 1pm to around 3pm, but it provided a good excuse to take a break from the sun and relax on our balcony or take a nap in our room before a night full of activities. I have no complaints about finding chairs on the beach or around the pool. We were always able to find a seat. I love the addition of the small fridge in the rooms. It was great to have easy access to bottled water or juice when we were just relaxing in our room. We stayed on the 3rd floor of the Italian village (we requested the same floor as our honeymoon room) and the view was amazing. The room was cozy and kept very clean. The maid service did a wonderful job. My only suggestion to Sandals is to put screens on the balcony doors or allow the window with the screens to open so guests can hear the ocean at night without inviting the bugs into their room. The bugs were much more bearable this trip than they were on our first thanks to a fogging they do each day to keep them under control. I only used bug spray on two of the nights and ended up with only one bite during the whole trip. My husband and I had yet another amazing visit to Sandals Whitehouse and I cannot wait until we can revisit them. This resort remains our favorite thanks to the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the resort.

Room Tip: The top floor will provide you with the best views because of how some of the landscaping has grown...
3  Thank Lisa19_21_10
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!