We visited Sandals Whitehouse for our 10th wedding anniversary from June 14th to June 22nd. I am a nerd and do extensive research before I book any property -- so I was fully aware about the reports of the drive from Montego Bay Airport to the resort. We had also vacationed at Sandals Antigua last year, so I wanted to try Whitehouse which some say is very similar in terms of size, etc.
We booked Club MoBay for arrival and departure in to Montego Bay and I'm glad I did. The customs line was 2.5hrs long! We were whisked through customs and baggage claim within 20 minutes. I also booked a private transfer to the resort by Joe Cool Taxi and our driver Orain was waiting there for us! He got us to Whitehouse in an hour and 10min!!! To be honest, not sure what all the fuss was about the drive -- the way Orain took us, it was only bumpy with road construction for the last 6-8 miles. Other couples we met at the resort, who had traveled by the Sandals Shuttle bus - said it took them TWO HOURS!! We were happy with our drive in and pulled in to the resort happy!
We were whisked to Club Sandals immediately as we had booked a concierge room and had requested the Dutch Village, which we did indeed get. The room was clean and spacious and directly overlooked the ocean and the Dutch pool. We did have a bit of a teenie problem -- when we came back from dinner at Bayside; our lock to the room didn't work and we couldn't get in. My husband went down to Club Sandals (which was right near our building) and they sent someone VERY quickly to check on the lock. While they were doing that - my husband closed the blinds and the whole valance came down!! Once again, Club Sandals came to the rescue immediately and moved us to a different room down the hall. In our new room the next day, we had a lovely note and fruit platter from the Director of Guest Services, Heidi-Ann, who apologized for any trouble we may have had. I had contacted her via email a few days before to see if they could provide distilled water in our room, as I use a CPAP breathing machine at night. Heidi-Ann responded quickly by email and indeed the distilled water was in our original room! It was kind of her to send us a note. I want to thank Anneisha, our room Concierge who called faithfully EVERY NIGHT to make sure we had everything we needed. She even tracked us down twice while she was out and about to introduce herself and give me a big hug. Anytime we needed extra water, or more towels or room service -- we NEVER had an issue. It was always taken care of expediently. The customer service was outstanding in this regard and I appreciated everyone taking care of us so well.
We decided to rent a cabana ($125/day) for our first 3 days and we are so glad we did. Our server, Rienna was an absolute GEM! We would meet her at 9am at Club Sandals, we were then personally escorted to our Cabana, which had a ceiling fan, several types of sun block, a small cooler with ice and a large cooler with champage, water and beer! Reinna would take our breakfast and lunch orders and personally deliver it -- It was heavenly. The first time we rented the Cabana we were at the Dutch Village, but the next 2x's we were in front of Neptune's at the Italian Village and it was our absolute favorite. We liked Rienna so much that we added one Cabana day the day before we left again in front of Neptune's. I can't thank Rienna enough for decorating our Cabana with banners, and balloons and wonderful notes, and lovely towel art. It was amazing! Also thanks to Romaine who was our Cabana server for one day when Rienna was off. Thank you so much for everything.
Dinners were great -- however, I wasn't too impressed w/my dinner at Bayside, but I loved my dinner at Jasmines (Teriyaki Salmon). Elenors was good, as was Neptunes. Guiseppe's was also good, but we didn't get to try Bluefields for dinner as it is on the other side of the resort near the French Village. However, I often ordered the Jamaican beef patties from Bluefields for lunch via our Cabana server and they were to DIE FOR. DELISH!! Also the Bluefield's burgers were excellent. The Jerk Pit was used by many and my husband fell in love with the jerk pork.
Loved the main Italian pool and shout out to Keon, the bar server over there! He was always singing and making sure my husband and I were always taken care of. I also enjoyed the Dutch pool, which was quiet. Many thanks to Demar, the bar pool server over there -- he was a doll!
We did a couples massage with Sanet at Red Lane and it was wonderful! We didn't do any excursions as we really like to read, relax and just take in the sun. Not too many folks in the water due to reports of folks stepping on sea urchins and jellyfish, but the water was very warm and it is best to go swimming in the Italian Village area -- beachfront, in front of the main pool. We brought along water shoes and I'm glad we did. We did go to two shows at Le Caberet, and the Silverbirds Steel Drum performers are NOT to be missed on Saturday night. At the Monday night buffet/beach party, it actually started to POUR rain outside. I have never witnessed such professionalism and speed to move all food indoors to Bayside so that folks could eat and sit while getting out of the rain. The staff moved like lightning and got everything inside. I'm sure they are used to it -- however, it's just amazing how hard they work, which should be applauded.
Whitehouse is absolutely GORGEOUS -- the grounds are immaculate; works were constantly cleaning, raking the beach and they were actually power washing our building when we were there. The firepits areas, concrete walkway that parallels the beach, the comfy outdoor sofas, chairs and umbrellas and all the lovely areas to sit at around the piazza was wonderful. The pools were clean and the water nice and despite previous reviews of people getting up at 6am to get a spot at the pool or beach -- WE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM!!! On the days we had rented a Cabana, we would go to the pool later in the day and NEVER had an issue getting a spot at the pool with shade. On the days we didn't have a Cabana, we always got great spots in the shade at the pool and there were SEVERAL great spots available under the thatched huts or umbrellas on the beach. Not sure where all the negativity is coming from regarding this. Lots of pool activity at the Italian pool, couples games, regular games and trivia. The entertainment staff were amazing: Angelita, Caralee, Awana, Wayon and Sheldon: you are one hard working, fun staff. Thank you!
All in all -- we had a MARVELOUS time. Don't let the drive to the airport scare you -- I had worked myself up in to a tizzy before the trip, reading scary reviews, but it wasn't bad at all. If you are nervous, perhaps book a private driver like we did. Sandals Whitehouse is an amazing, beautiful property and I would return in a heartbeat.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica