“Paradise Found”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have been to several all inclusive resorts including adults only varieties, Sandals blew the competition away. We enjoyed Whitehouse because it is secluded and away from the main resort areas. Whitehouse was extremely private and the property was beautiful. The restaurants were all wonderful with service beyond compare.

It is also notable that all of your activities are included with your stay, like kayaking, snorkeling, sailing, paddle boarding.

We stayed in a Club Sandals Suite and we found the experience to be well worth it. You receive a private check in area and your own group of concierge staff along with access to a club sandals area 24/7.

We normally travel to Riviera Maya, Mexico and the Casitas at El Dorado had been our preference, but Jamaica has stolen our hearts.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (7,191)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We went to this resort for out honeymoon and we couldn't have had a better experience. The trip there is a little long but totally worth the ride. The rooms and grounds are immaculate. The people that work there are beyond kind and accommodating. It's total paradise

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Brooke8381
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The property is beautiful and very well maintained. The peacocks walking around are gorgeous and willing to eat out of your hand. The staff is lovely and helpful. We had Damian and Davion as butlers. Both men were fantastic! It was the height of luxury and pampering. Each man takes his position very seriously and sincerely wants you to have the best possible experience during your stay. Our suite was wonderful, well stocked, and easily accessible to everything. The bed is very comfortable. Having the butler service definitely made the vacation as good as it could be. We've never had such attention and commitment. The Dutch pool is lovely, clean, and quiet. A great place to hang out and meet other couples. The bartender there, Marvin, will make your stay better than it would otherwise be. There's a definite difference in the level of service when he is off.

Having said all that, you should know that the food, in any of the restaurants, is mediocre, at best. Breakfast is fine, but beyond that do not expect any terrific culinary experience. The restaurants are lovely and the service is great, but the food is neither.

The biggest disappointment for us was the beach. We didn't go to Jamaica for our honeymoon to sit in a pool. We could do that in our backyard. We went for the beach and there wasn't one. They told us that 30 feet of beach was washed away in a storm and that they are rebuilding it. You couldn't go into the water because of the tree roots and rocks. The water is still - no waves, no tides, no soft, white, pristine sand. All manmade. Very weird. Nobody was in the water the entire week we were there. Everybody was disappointed. We spent a fortune for the Jamaican beach and needed up in a pool. Very upsetting.

Room Tip: #1178 was fabulous! Beach front rooms are quieter. Suite was wonderful. We could have stayed in it f...
7  Thank Daralynn F
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I took my wife to this Sandals for the third year in a row on her Birthday, I have some issues this time with the water sports people as well as the maintenance on their water sports equipment, but the real reason I am writing is because of a woman named Fiona who was there when I checked in. I told her it was my wifes birthday and she set me up with reservations for Saturday night. When we arrived, the table was filled with flowers that spelled out Happy Birthday! The entire meal, service, and evening was made wonderful and it was all due to Fiona, (who was also our waitress that evening)! She went above and beyond ANY EXPECTATIONS I had for my Wifes Birthday. She made it very special for both of us! Thank You Fiona!!! We love you for what you did!

4  Thank Kennyz607
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I booked this trip back in September after doing extensive research. Let me tell you - it was amazing!

The drive:
I was prepared for the drive. I had my bonine. I had my sea bandz. I had peppermint for nausea. And it all worked. I never felt sick and I normally get VERY motion sick. If I had not taken these items - I would have been throwing up in the van. The first half of the ride is not that bad. Hardly any potholes. Very scenic. Gorgeous views. However, our van driver decided he had to get gas before we got going. Seriously? That annoyed all of us in the van. Who does that? We just wanted to get there. Not stop and get gas. Anyway - after we stopped at the Ramble Rest Stop - about 45 minutes into the ride - then that is when things got bad. Pot holes. Windy roads. Cars coming the other way at breakneck speed. It took another hour to get to the resort. However, our ride on the way back to the airport was way better. Our driver zoomed along and seemed to know the roads better. He got us to the airport in 1 hour and 20 minutes. So - I guess it just depends on your driver.

The room:
The room was nice enough. Could it have been better? Yes. There were a few minor things that needed attention. Our drain in the shower was not draining properly. And the TV had snowy lines on it. I called the front desk and these things were fixed within an hour. The bathroom was just okay. I wish it had been more luxurious. But it was fine. We also got upgraded on arrival. We ended up with free wifi and the ability to order room service. That was a nice perk since we had to leave at 7 AM on our departure day and there was no restaurants nothing open. We could at least order breakfast before leaving because we had the room service. Our room walked out to the pool and we were in the Dutch section which was awesome. Very quiet and more our speed than the other sections. The AC worked great and once you closed the door - you couldn't hear anything.

The restaurants:
We did not have a bad meal. Everything was great. The drinks were fabulous and you honestly don't need to spend your money on the dinner on the beach. There are two restaurants right near the ocean and you feel like you are on the beach. You could even order a dinner to go - and just go eat it on the beach on your own.

The entertainment:
Good enough. Some stuff was better than others. Definitely enough to keep you amused at night. The martini bar was fun. Good drinks and good bartenders.

The beach:
I was prepared and had water shoes. It honestly wasn't that bad. The beach by the Dutch section was the best. Hardly any rocks or seaweed. And the water is super warm. Is it clear? No. But it is not murky or icky like some people describe. It was so peaceful and beautiful. I loved it.

I can see now why people love Sandals. I was skeptical going in - but I already want to plan another trip!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Bridget G
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband and I decided to visit Sandals Whitehouse on June 21st for a getaway beach vacation on the recommendation of our friend who is a travel agent. We wanted to try a quiet, romantic and kid-free all inclusive resort and Whitehouse was the perfect place!

We arrived at Montego Bay airport at 3pm and after clearing customs and obtaining our baggage, we went straight to the Sandals lounge where we checked in for our transportation to the resort. The lounge was very crowded and without air conditioning, but the restrooms were nice and they offered sodas (without ice) and Red Stripe beer. We only sat for a few minutes before being called for our bus. The Sandals employees are very good about double checking to make sure your bags are loaded onto your bus. However, the man who loaded the bags was very insistent on receiving tips, so have a few dollars ready for each bag.

The worst part of the week for was the drive to and from Whitehouse. On the way out, it took 90 minutes and that was without traffic. The roads are awful, full of potholes and very narrow and winding. The drivers are great, but the trip is long and arduous. The driver makes a random stop at a run down shop for a bathroom break, that I believe was unnecessary and just added to the length of the trip. We finally arrived at the resort and had to check in. That became another bit of an ordeal as everyone had to fill out a check in form and give a credit card imprint. But once you are done with all that, the rest of the week will be AMAZING!

Our room was in the French Village, definitely the louder, more happening village. We had requested the Dutch Village, but actually were thankful that we were placed in the French Village. It was just more lively and had a great bar and bartenders. The room was very clean and nice. Room service was fantastic throughout the week. Always plenty of fresh, clean towels and turn down service is a nice perk. They also distribute the Daily Breeze which keeps you updated on events for the following day.

We spent a lot of time at the Main pool and the French Village pool. Both clean, beautiful and refreshing. Lots of comfy chairs and beds, however, we always had to get up early to reserve the best spots at the pool or beach. The beach was a little disappointing. Pretty in certain stretches, but definitely eroding in others. The weather was good for most of the week. One afternoon we had a rainstorm and the next we had high winds, but other than that it was great!

My favorite restaurants were Jasmines and Guiseppes. The food and wine were superb! We never had a wait at any restaurant. Don't miss the buffet breakfast at Bayside every morning, it is fantastic! And the martinis at the martini bar above Eleanors make the best drinks at the resort. We also fell in love with the French cafe and would visit at least 3 times a day for coffee, frappuccinos, and baked goods. For lunches, we tried the jerk pit, pizzas poolside at the main pool and burgers and fries at the French pool. The food was great, the service was ALWAYS friendly and good. We never experienced slow service at bars or restaurants.

The staff is always friendly and they are always asking if you are drinking plenty of rum. =)

What I loved most about Whitehouse was the quiet and the romance. We were surrounded by other couples, most of them honeymooners, but never did we feel crowded at any time. The resort was at 80% capacity the week we were there. There is some entertainment in the evenings, but we mainly kept to ourselves, enjoyed our pool/beach days, romantic dinners, after dinner drinks and usually called it a night early. It was a fabulous getaway and we will definitely visit a Sandals again in the future!

7  Thank aniestepher
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I planned for this vacation for quite some time and began my research over a year in advance. I love the Caribbean and decided upon this location for the private and long beach, and when I was researching, the whole beach seemed gorgeous. Reviews over the past 3 months had me worried as there were so many negative beach/water comments and I have to say that I would have to agree with them. From afar, it looks beautiful, but when you enter the ocean, it is not clear for at least 10 feet out. We were told that there has been a lot of erosion, and they are working on beach restoration. We saw LOTS of sand being trucked in at night. I mainly went in the ocean in the Italian village and that is definitely the best place to be if going in the ocean. However, it is still rocky -- we were prepared and brought water shoes, and I was glad we did. It did not stop me from going into the water, but I've been to places where the ocean looks like pool water, and this didn't come remotely close to that. I did like the beach though, it is beautiful, long and private. It is extremely relaxing to spend the day on the beach...I did have bar service when I was lounging on the French beach, but not anywhere else.

As far as the actual resort, it is very nice. The restaurants were all great. We loved Bluefields in the French village for lunch and once we found it, that's where we went every day. Viktor managed that restaurant and was absolutely wonderful. He went out of his way to ensure everything was perfect. Eleanor's has a wonderful dinner and Fiona was our waitress and she was also wonderful! We had an outstanding dinner with exemplary service. We did go to Eleanor's for breakfast and it was also very good, but we preferred the buffet breakfast, it was very good.

The grounds are extremely well kept and are very beautiful to look at - the flowers, palms and buildings are all grand and very pretty. We requested the Italian village and they said they could not get us in there...we got our 2nd choice - the Dutch Village, which is actually not a bad place to be. The Italian Village is close to everything, the Dutch Village is just the right amount of a walk and will get you away from the noise if there is something going on at the Italian Village. The French Village was quite a walk and you will at the far end of anything except the French pool and the Bluefield's restaurant (which by the way was excellent for dinner too). We loved the firepits on the beach...the couches were very comfortable and the firepits just added to the beauty.

The one area I was very disappointed in is the rooms...they are old and really in need of renovation. Some rooms smelled very musty. We spoke to several managers about this and that's how we learned that the French village 'regular' rooms were in the midst of renovations. The bathrooms are old, with just a white shower curtain. I know you're not in the room a lot, but honestly, I expected more from Sandals. The room itself would be equivalent to a Holiday Inn quality - EXCEPT for the view. All the rooms are ocean front and that was a huge plus. I opened the balcony door each morning and just listened to the waves...so the rooms are a bit of a give and take as I so enjoyed the view and being so close to the ocean. One other thing about the room -- I have to say, I feel a bit insulted that Sandals would actually charge $42.99/week to use their wifi. I would think a top notch all inclusive resort would not nickel and dime you to use wifi -- but I wanted it, so I got it. Once we got it to work, it worked fairly well. ;

Our travel companion had purchased some special birthday celebrations for his wife's 50th birthday and they didn't go as planned - in fact, they really didn't do anything right which was a big disappointment -- HOWEVER, we did give our feedback to the manager and I have to say that they more than made up for it. It proved to me that Sandals does care and really does want you to truly enjoy your stay. I have to say I was impressed with how they made it up to us. While I won't go into many details here, the service we received from Felecia for our special dinner was exemplary -- she made us feel very special.

I cannot comment about the trip to/from the resort as we chose to take the helicopter there and back, and I have to say that it was worth every cent. Island Hoppers is a first class operation and made the beginning and end of our trip very memorable! They knew this would be a surprise for our husbands and they played that surprise up till the moment we were going to get on the helicopter...everyone from Sue in the administrative office to Dougie the greeter at the airport, to the very nice woman at the heliport office (sorry I can't remember name) to the very professional pilot were top notch. I would HIGHLY recommend this!! We spoke to other guests at the pool each day and the ride there was always a topic of conversation...in fact, one couple said they couldn't even relax thinking that they had to do that trip again on the way home, when we told them about our experience, they booked Island Hoppers that very same day!

Oh the pastry shop - OMG -- this was amazing...and they make the BEST milkshakes too! We visited here everyday, several times! Samantha, Patrice and Denese are SOOOO nice and made you feel so welcome, ALL the time.

So -- overall evaluation of this resort -- it was very nice. If the rooms were updated and somehow the ocean got clearer would I return? Absolutely. Without those two things, no, I would not -- but I'm not usually one to return as I like to try new places. If you're considering another Sandals -- I absolutely would return to Sandals Emerald Bay -- which I think is a lot like this one in the aspect of a private beach and a place built for relaxation - but there is absolutely no comparison to the beach or the rooms and I EB is definitely even more laid back. If the ocean is not one of your vacation highlights and you don't mind staying in a standard type of regular hotel room, I think you will have a great time at Sandals Whitehouse! Don't hesitate to reach out to me should you have any questions!

Room Tip: They say the rooms in the French village have started to be renovated.
12  Thank LovetheBlueWater
#8 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#2 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!