“Sandals Whitehouse and questions about private car service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandals South Coast

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
“Sandals Whitehouse and questions about private car service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is a 2 part quick write up. First I'd like to give me 2 cents on Whitehouse and second, I'd like to ask all of you your thoughts on hiring a private airport transfer because my wife and I will be visiting Whitehouse again in November.

First, my review:

The fact that my wife and I have already booked a 2nd visit to Sandals Whitehouse should tell you that we really like it the first time. We were there in Nov 2011. It was our 4th Sandals visit. (This coming Nov will be our 7th Sandals visit). We stayed for 7 nights. Originally booked their concierge category room but was surprisingly treated to an upgrade to their butler suite (without a butler) in the Italian Village. It was great and since then, I've been spoiled and only book suites now.... Thanks for making me spend more money, Sandals ;-)

We loved the non-crowded and large resort. The beach was huge, clean and plenty of areas to just relax without anyone near you. If beach going is not your thing, the rest of the resort has plenty of areas to just walk around. From the general area, to the gardens to the tennis courts and fitness center, there's always something to explore. Ironically, I'm no big fan of heat and sun... yes that is ironic. So during the hot day, I'd like to relax a bit with a cold drink in air conditioned space. The lobby was always my favorite. It's huge and plenty of areas to just sit and cool down. Feel like a desert? Cafe du Paris was my wife's favorite. I'm sure she had at least 6 ice caps daily!

Food is as expected for Sandals. I wouldn't call it world class but it is very good. Best out of all Sandals, I think. We didn't bother with the french and asian restaurants. We stuck with the more casual foods. We particularly liked fresh pasta buffet at bayside. They make your pasta to your liking on the spot.

The staff were great and always friendly. I'd say they are second only to St Lucian Grande. I only say that because my wife and I were married at St Lucian Grande in 2008 and returned there in 2009. So we have a bit of a biased opinion. At Whitehouse, we never felt crowded or had no privacy. Aside from the busy lunch and dinner peak times, which is to be expected, we felt like we were the only ones at the resort most of the time.

This Nov, we have booked the butler suite (with butler of course). I have my fingers crossed that this time, our second butler experience will be much better than the one we had in Antigua last year.

My question about private airport transfer:

We are considering a private airport transfer this time. Due to the 1-1/2 hr one-way and the privacy, I'd prefer not to be crammed in a mini-bus with bunch of other people. I contacted Sandals and they told me that the price is $245 one-way. At first, the Sandals rep said that the vehicle would be an Audi A6, VW, Hiace, Ipsum or Noah. What?!? I'm just an ignorant Canadian so I have clue what a Hiace, Ipsum or Noah is. Somehow I don't think they out class an Audi.

That said, $245 even for an Audi? I then called Island Resorts, Sandals tour authorized tour organizer, and they said that they can guarantee an Audi. Still, for 245, I'd figure a Benz at least. On the plus side, if it can be considered a plus, they say they will include snacks, and drinks (wine).

I've read a couple of reviews here on Trip Advisor and "Joe Cool Taxi" seems to have some great reviews and recommendations. Almost sounds too good. They charge only $80 one-way to Whitehouse.

So my questions is, can anyone here give me some suggestions ad thoughts on this? My wife is very cautious with "freelance" services. She's worried about safety and security. Being not recommended and arranged through Sandals, she very reluctant or refuses to use anything else. I can agree with her to some degree but I'd like to hear from others who have used Sandals car service or any other car service in Jamaica. Joe Cool Taxi does not have an Audi or anything like that. As far as I know, it's a little van. I'm fine with this because it'll be a more personalized service and for $80 compared to $245.

Thanks for reading and any feedback.

Room Tip: Italian and Dutch village is in the quieter side of the resort.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
30 Thank GeeDi604

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,028)
Labadie, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed here July 9-16 and we loved it! First of all, I expected the roads to be worse after all the reviews. It did take us almost 2 hours (including a rest stop) but it was a pretty drive and eye-opening to life in Jamaica. It's sad to see the many stands on the side of the road because people are so desperate to make money however possible. It seemed to mean they stuck a poster on the side of a building and painted on it "the party is here" or they tried to sell fruit or shrimp.

We booked the most basic room and stayed on the second floor of the French village. Yes, we had to walk a little further but if you cut through the tennis court area it was seriously not a big deal. I was worried I would feel like I was missing something since we didn't have a butler, but after staying here, there is no way I would pay for an upgrade! I watched people walking to dinner with their butler (this would be awkward to me) and was relieved I didn't have to make small talk when I really wanted to just be with my husband. We were never without a beach chair, drink, or table for dinner so we did just fine without a butler!

We loved the pool in the French village and had many laughs over the antics of Delroy (1) and Jermaine. My husband literally smelled like mint all week from all of the mojitos he had! Volleyball was a blast and we didn't spend much time in the ocean. It was pretty to look at but not the most clear. Definitely grab an extra towel in the evening so you have one to save a spot in the shade. I didn't want to have to play that game, but since we actually USED the chairs, I didn't feel too bad!

We did pay 60 dollars for a special snorkel trip out to a reef and that was amazing! I've never seen so many fish and my husband said he saw more with me than when he scuba dived the day before. He was a little disappointed in the scuba diving here but that wasn't our main reason for coming so it was fine.

We booked a tour to the black river, ys falls, and Appleton. I highly recommend Ophelia as a tour guide. She is very funny and knowledgable about her country. I learned a lot and grew to love Jamaica because of Ophelia!

The food was all excellent and never had to wait for a table. It wasn't always the fastest service but was still good. Our only wish is there would be a snack bar open all day. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm drinking sweet tropical drinks on the beach, I feel sick to my stomach if it's on an empty stomach! There were a few options but some had weird hours and somehow we would be off on our times.

This resort cannot be beaten for how spacious it is and the huge beach. It is worth the drive for the peace it brings!!!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here!
      Location
9 Thank aaholestine
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from our trip to Sandals Whitehouse. it was our first time at this resort. It is 50 acres on a preserve and it is stunning. What we liked most is how quiet and peaceful it was. At times, we were the only two walking along the beach. That could have been the time of year we went, but it is also a very large, sprawling resort. There were always plenty of chairs available on the beach and at the pool.
We enjoy resorts that offer a lot of activities, and this had them all included! Water skiing, snorkeling, suba diving, kayaking, you could do it all and then relax beach side or poolside for the rest of the day.
My husband brought his own fishing gear and fished the shore, catching some pretty amazing sized tarpon.
They were dredging the beach while we were there, so the water was a little murky, but if you waded past it, you could see very clearly.
It was extremely hot and humid, so we spent most of our time in the pool floating on the complimentary rafts.
Food was very good. The breakfasts were great. We are health nuts and felt there were many options to choose from to have a healthy meal. Fresh tropical fruit, made to order omelets to name a few things. Fresh fish options every night for dinner, depending on which restaurant you choose.
We will caution you that it is quite a bit of walking, the resort beach is 4 miles long and we stayed in the French village, which is on one end of the resort. To walk to the water sports area, or where most of the restaurants were, it was at least a mile. But we took our time and walked along the beach and enjoyed the scenery.
The rooms were nice, we had a luxury beach front. All rooms had a patio and face the ocean.
the only downfall is that is 2 hours from the Montego Bay airport so it is a long drive, but it is worth it if you don't mind. We were away from all the commercialization of Montego Bay and there are no vendors haggling you.
We did not do any excursions, but you easily could have arranged one from the resort. They offered nightly entertainment, that was great too.
If you want to work out, the facility is great, all life fitness equipment if you lift and plenty of treadmills and ellipticals for cardio if you choose. There is also an aerobics studio offering pilates, yoga, kickboxing, etc. as well as three tennis courts.
The best part of it all is the staff. We have never met happier people. They are so nice and kind and genuinely happy you are there and happy to help you. The best person was Esroy, the scuba instructor. If you want to try scuba diving, he is the person you should go to.
We will definitely be back.

7 Thank BrookeHeck828
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Sandals Whitehouse was an amazing location for our honeymoon. We just got back on July 30. A few things to mention.

We stayed in the French village on the advise of our travel agent as she told us we would get an upgrade because we were on our honeymoon....never happened. We were to by Sandals when we arrived that the reservation person looked over the list nightly and would be in touch and we never heard from them despite the resort clearly not being full.

Although our room was standard. Seemed like an average hotel room. We did have an incredible view. And honestly we didn't mind and would book lower end at Sandals again since we spent no time in our room besides sleeping and showering.

The drive to the resort is a little crazy. But fun if you just try to relax and think that the van drivers do this all day everyday as it's not new to them.

The beach was okay. Didn't really spend a lot of time there as the water isn't that nice due to them attempting to rebuild the beach with truckloads of sand every night.

The pools were great! We honestly never left the French village pool and tons of people made the walk down there as it was a great pool. The only one with pool volleyball. The bartenders were awesome especially Avril and Delroy. They were there everyday and were always in the best of spirits. I wish sandals would supply them with a proper stereo. They had no music so we brought down our radio from our room as everyone wanted to hear it.

The food is outstanding at every restaurant. I can't say one bad thing about a meal I had. The entertainment was good and we never felt like we had to leave the resort to find something to do.

I would recommend this resort to anyone. It was a great vacation and sandals did not disappoint.

Honeymooners

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jennifer G
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just returned from Sandals Whitehouse with my daughter from a perfect ten days stay and it was extraordinary! The beach was beautiful, and the staff was incredibly friendly. There are several restaurants on the property and most of the food was great. We wanted a vacation where we didn't need to do anything & that was just what we did. The service we received was outstanding. The grounds were well maintained and beautiful. Everyone was so friendly & the staff was remarkable.
We booked a Honeymoon Beachfront Grande Luxe in the Dutch Villa and that choice has exceeded all our expectations. The view of the beach was amazing from our balcony.
Food / Drinks
Overall the quality of food was great. We enjoyed every restaurant there. I highly recommend the following restaurants:
#1 Jasmines
#2 Bluefield for authentic Jamaican food
#3 Bayside (Buffet) every Thursday.

We enjoyed most of the restaurants. Jasmine's & Bluefield's were our favorites. Every Thursday Bayside (the buffet) was where we ate lunch and & enjoyed the Jerk pork & chicken. Excellent food & taste. I would highly recommend Jasmine's & Bluefield's to everyone.
The Entertainment:
The entertainment was incredible. Cheldon, the host, was exceptional funny & others whose name I can’t remember. We loved the Silver Birds Steel Band shows.
The only ONE extra that we did was the cabana rental on the beach. It was fantastic. I’m most grateful to Diangra from the front desk explaining about the cabana & the property surroundings. My experience on the beach would not be amazing if not for Diangra helping us with the cabana. She was resourceful & knowledgeable.
A great big thanks to our cabana girl, Tiffany. She was amazing. Whatever we needed, she made sure we had it.
OVERALL: Our experience was 5 stars. Service was excellent and employees are constantly going that extra mile, with a great smile, to make your vacation unforgettable. Definitely planning on returning.

Thank you Sandals Whitehouse!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Kamla J
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals South Coast, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hello Kamla and Bianca,
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience at Sandals Whitehouse! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed some mother/daughter bonding time in beautiful Jamaica and that you had a fantastic time exploring the resort together. We appreciate all of your kind remarks and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

My Husband and I actually got married earlier this month at European Village and Spa and it was more than I ever could've imagined in a wedding! It was amazing and best of all STRESS FREE! We were truly blessed to be able to meet so many wonderful people! Miss Tonyan Brown was our server at Neptunes and she was amazing!!! She called the day of our wedding and wished us congratulations, Reserved a special table for us with live flowers!! She was such a beautiful person inside and out! Kenerick who was our sever at Blue Gills, he was such an awesome guy! He made us a special dinner and made us feel so blessed to have met him! We would go back in a heart beat just to see our friends! I would recommend visiting this resort just based on good people and character!

Room Tip: We had the dutch and loved it!
      Rooms
2 Thank Danielle A
Dear Danielle,

Thank you for your review of Sandals Whitehouse! We couldn't be happier to hear about your amazing Weddingmoon experience and that your stay was perfect from beginning to end! It is a privilege to be a part of such special moments and we are delighted that our resort could serve as the romantic background for such a memorable occasion. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

We visited Sandals Whitehouse for seven nights starting on July 20. With the exception of one less than wonderful experience with a restaurant staff person (with whom we had a great experience a night or two before – he might have been having a bad day), we had a great vacation and loved the welcoming and friendly Jamaican staff throughout the entire property. But I am not going to bore you with the details of my vacation. What I want to do here is offer advice, insight and helpful tips to help you make your vacation decision easier. It’s going to be long, but here goes….

Airport Shuttle – I will start with our least favorite part. Everything you have read about this part in Trip Advisor is true, but your shuttle driver can make a huge difference. Our shuttle driver to the resort made the trip seem more like a roller coaster ride than did our shuttle driver to the airport. But in either case, you are traveling through remote countryside with narrow, winding and pothole filled roads. Roads in the Caribbean, and much of the rest of the world, are not like those in the United States or more economically privileged countries – so do not expect them to be. The further you get from a large population area (like Montego Bay), the worse the roads – and Whitehouse is remote. You have other available transfer options like a private car or helicopter (both of these options are booked separately from Sandals, but they can help put you in contact with these providers).

Overall Property – Awesome. The gardens are lush, well maintained and offer a wide variety of tropical flowers, plants, bushes and trees. Take the Garden Tour one morning and learn about all these landscaping features. All the general population areas are clean and well maintained. The walkways and fountains in the main Riviera area are beautiful.

Accommodations – Good. Not five star, but very nice and pretty typical upscale Caribbean resort rooms. We stayed in the second from the bottom tier room (Honeymoon Beachfront Grand Luxe) in the Italian Village and it was more than fine for us. We have stayed in both Club Level and Butler Suites at other Sandals resorts and do not feel the need for this extra expense. If you have the money, it is a cool experience. But if you don’t, I don’t think you will feel slighted in any way. The Italian Village is closest to the main pool, most of the restaurants, the best beach, water sports, etc., so we really liked the location. The bed and climate controls were both good. The view was excellent.

Restaurants – Good food, but not five star. All restaurants except one (Bluefield’s) are near the main Riviera pool area. Two (Neptune’s and Bluefield’s) are open air and very close to the ocean. Plan your dinner time right and watch the sunset from Bluefield’s. All the others have both indoor and outdoor seating options. For breakfast, you have three options. Café de Paris has coffee and pastries and is open earlier (5:30am) than the others. Eleanor’s (opens at 8am) offers an a la carte menu style breakfast and Bayside (opens at 7:30am) offers a breakfast buffet. Many more choices for lunch, dinner and daytime snacks throughout the resort. No reservations were required at any restaurant during our stay.

Beach Areas – The beach area in front of the Italian Village (nearest the main Riviera pool area) is by far the widest and best. Once you go around the horn in the property, the beach in front of the Dutch and French Villages has some serious erosion issues. But Sandals is working hard to restore this area with truckloads of sand being delivered and workers both restoring beach areas and creating erosion barriers each night. We did not have any issues finding available beach chairs under shaded areas during our stay at any time throughout the day. All beach areas offer natural tree covered beach areas, tiki-hut style beach canopies and private cabanas (for an extra daily rental fee). The Italian Village beach area offers more direct sun options as the beach is wider there. The ocean is not as clear as some other Caribbean locations, but it is still beautiful. There are more rocks and seaweed on the Dutch and French side due to the erosion, but all beach areas have this issue to some extent. I have read about issues with jellyfish and sea urchins here in Trip Advisor, but we did not see or hear of any issues during our stay. We highly recommend bringing some water shoes for entering the ocean. Another nice thing we liked was that due to the remote nature of the resort, there were no local beach vendors, jet ski rental vendors, etc. hawking their products all day long up and down the beach like there are at other resorts.

Pool Areas – Main Riviera pool is the largest and busiest throughout the day. Most of the activities led by the Activities Coordinators are in or around this pool. The French Village pool is also quite active with pool volleyball almost all day. If you want a quiet pool, visit the Dutch Village pool. But we did not think any of the pools were overly obnoxious or loud, just more or less active. The Riviera and French Village pool have swim-up bars in the pool. The Dutch Village pool does not have a swim-up bar, but there is one very close by. All pools have walk-in features and pool umbrellas. We did not have any issues finding available pool chairs during our stay at any time throughout the day (although sometimes in the afternoon is might be hard to find a chair under an umbrella).

Fitness – Nice enclosed and air conditioned gym area with several Hammer Strength workout stations, dumbbells up to 50 pounds (22.7kg), five or six each of treadmills, bicycles and elliptical machines, Swiss balls and floor mats. They have a separate enclosed yoga studio and separate indoor racquetball area. There are four outdoor tennis courts, beach volleyball court and an outdoor basketball court. There are several fitness classes throughout the day (yoga, aerobics, pilates, pool aerobics, walking, etc.). Tennis lessons are available. Outside the fitness center and tennis courts are usually four ice cold, naturally flavored water stations with regular water, pineapple, cucumber, etc. If you are into fitness, there are plenty of opportunities here for you.

Activities Coordinators – Awesome. We had so much fun participating in all their games and the staff was also a lot of fun to hang around. It seems to typically take a lot of begging by the staff to get people to participate, but once they get in on the action, everyone has fun. So don’t ignore the staff when they try to get you involved. Jump in, have some fun and win some prizes (cheap trinkets to a bottle of rum).

Water Sports – Awesome. As a certified diver, I made nine dives during the week, including a night dive (extra fee for the night dive). The reef is not all that great and the marine life was sparse, but I had fun just the same. We did see numerous creatures, just not a lot of them. The night dive was by far the best. If you are certified, you can make two dives each day, at 9am (deeper – typically about 60-65 feet, but I did make one to 87 feet) and 11am (shallower – about 30-35 feet). If you are not certified, you can take lessons at the resort and still go out. Snorkeling, glass bottom boats, sea kayaks, sailboats, paddle boards, water skiing and wake boarding are all available, fun and included.

Entertainment – Mostly we just saw this as just something to do at night – mediocre and a few laughs. But if you are on property on a night when they have the Silver Birds Steel Orchestra, do not miss it. They are high energy, very talented and entertaining. On most nights, the Le Cabaret theatre was maybe 1/4 to 1/2 full, but the place was packed for the Silver Birds show and it was fun.

Miscellaneous – Monday nights are the Boonoonoonos Beach Party. The staff and some of the guests in the know where dressed in red clothing (dresses, shirts, etc.). Friday nights are white nights with the staff and many informed guests wearing mostly white attire. No one told us about either beforehand, so we weren’t prepared, but neither were a lot of other guests, so you won’t be left out if not dressed accordingly. Just something different and fun. Plan to arrive at the resort early, but do not expect your room to be available until at least 3pm. They do have a very nice Departure Lounge with showers, bathroom and changing area for you to use, so pack a bathing suit in your carry-on luggage and start your vacation as soon as possible while they prepare your room. You can also use the Departure Lounge if your departure is after check-out time (11am). Your shuttle to the airport will leave between 4-5 hours before your flight is scheduled to depart, so maybe do not schedule the 8am return flight unless your other choices are limited. Wifi is not included (although most of us wish it were) and the extra cost is $42.99 for a week’s access. You get a Daily Breeze newsletter in your room each night with all the next day’s scheduled activities. Bring your own large, insulated cups for drinks to make less trips to the bars. Lastly, but I think most importantly, the Jamaican staff on property are all awesome. If you treat them as you wish to be treated, like saying, “please” and “thank you” and engage them in conversation, you will meet some wonderful people. If you treat them poorly (and we saw several examples of guests doing this), then maybe you do not deserve to be treated as warmly as we were treated.

So, I know this was a long review, but hopefully you found something useful that will help make your vacation destination decision easier or to prepare for your upcoming Whitehouse trip. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me via Trip Advisor. I loved it there and would be glad to help. I am not a Sandals employee or travel agent, just a regular person like most of you looking to make the best of my precious vacation time and money.

Rooms
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,159 reviews
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!