I have a hard time reading reviews that say DON'T GO.
The ride there is windy and bumpy but you do get to see alot of the real Jamaica. The bus driver informed us before we left about our 1hr 30 minute bus ride and assured us that he had done this route many times and gets everyone there safely. He played music and talked and joked with us and we made a pit stop along the way to stretch our legs. The drive was very scenic. They beep the horn before they turn corners and seem to have their own system that works.
Arriving to the resort...we were greeted with a cool facecloth like every one else on the but but we had butler service and none of us recieved our champagne. We stayed with every one else and were treated no different even though we had payed up the nose for butler service.
Our butler finally met us in the lobby and we were then escorted to our room and started to feel better. Our room was a beachfront walkout honeymoon suite and it was beautiful, just like the website. Our view was great with a large deck. We could watch the sun come up and go down from our bedroom or deck and we could walk to the beach in about 5 steps. We stayed in the Italian Village which I would reccommend. It is closer to the restaurants and entertainment etc.. but still very quiet. The other areas of the resort were busier and more party like.
Our 9 day stay was perfect. Every staff member went out of their was to talk and ask how things were, even the girl serving icecream in the buffet asked me how we were making out. I did not see an unhappy couple at any time during our stay.
Entertainment was intersting but nothing super. However over by the restaurants they constantly had violinists, singers etc... singing outside the patios that was very enjoyable and romantic and pleasant. They had a chocolate buffet outside at 11pm one evening with a special outside entertainment.
There is a Cafe called Cafe de Paris that is so neat. It is a little bakery with tons of different fresh baked goods from cream puffs to cheescakes and cookies and lots of different teas and coffee. Sitting on the patio listening to the entertainment sipping camomile tea with cream puffs was great every night.
I am a pick eater. We ate at Eleanors three nights in a row but I enjoyed every other place as well. The pizza at Guisepees was really good for a midafternoon snack.
The main pool was beautiful but the hot tub there was abit cool, which in the heat of the day was nice. The pools are beautiful and there are three pools in toatal. The main one is close to all the restaurants etc.. the other pools are in teh dutch village and french village. The french village seemed to be the loudest. The italian village only has a hot tub but it is a great quiet place to relax and read and has a great view of the beach. It was my favorite quiet place. Also our beach section at the Italian Village was the clearest and nicest I thought, there were not alot of beach chairs so we really had alot of privacy and at night we would go back out to our chairs and no one ever walked by.
Our butlers came to our room every night and walked or drove us to supper. They always had prepared our table ahead of time with flowers. Every night they would do towel art on our bed and put flowers and candles around the tub and champagne. We had a choice to go to the buffet or have the butlers bring us breakfast on our deck every morning. We went to the buffet once but choose to eat on our deck the rest of the time. We were given a cell phone and we could call the butler at any time for anything. I didn't call often as I felt like a nuicance but they called to check on us regularly. They brought us things to drink and eat on the beach as well.
The beach was very calm, alot of time there were no waves. Reminded me more of a lake. The only waves we saw came from boats going by. We have been at the dominican and loved their beaches better. This was a nice beach to walk on and explore, but swimming wasn't for me. There is alot of grass on the bottom even close to the shore, alot of star fish, and fish about your feet, neat to pick up and see and explore but there were no more than a couple people in the water that I ever saw and jumping waves is out of the question as there was none.
The resort was not that large so it was easy to find everything and get around even if you are older. No steps other than going up to the restaurants.
I would definately go back to this resort for the peacefullness and kindness. It was extremly a romantic feel to the resort and so nice to be around such happy people. Becasue they all speak english there was no communication barrier which was so nice as well.
The trip back to the airport was not as great a experience. I almost got sick the whole was. The driver did not speak one word to us and he drove much faster and I did not feel well and did not feel as safe. There are seat belts in the vans and they are extremly clean and airconditioned. We left in the morning which is no doubt why I felt more sick. But we arrived faster to the reort which was a bonus.
Tipping is all inclusive except if you have butler service, then you are expected to tip. This I did not really want to do because we spent an extra $5000 for butlers so I felt we deserved the extra treatment without having to tip but we did, we tipped $200 for both butlers as we were told this was the average. We also tipped the bus drivers and the guys that take your luggage to and from the bus at the airport as they are not employed by sandals.
Overall this trip was very expensive, but even without butler service I would go back again in a heartbeat. We even drank the water they put on the tables and so was everyone else. I did not see anyone get sick or complain the whole trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology and Hotels.com so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica