“Loved Sandals Whitehouse!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Pittsburgh
“Loved Sandals Whitehouse!”
Reviewed 4 January 2007

My husband and I are both 25 years old, and we had our honeymoon at Sandals Whitehouse Sept 18-Sept. 25. We had an absolutely fabulous time! I can not say enough good things about this resort and the people running it.

Ride to resort - We didn't feel that the ride from the airport was nearly as bad as the impression we got from other reviews. Since we have never been to Jamaica before, it was very interesting to see the land and the way of life here. They do drive a little crazy, but it was all just a part of the Jamaican experience. We didn't mind the ride to and from the resort at all, although the ride from from the resort was a little sad because it was taking us away from paradise.

Room - We had a concierge room in the Italian village on the third floor, which was absolutely beautiful! We had a fully stocked bar which was re-stocked every day, and we had a beautiful view of the ocean from our patio. They also came and turned down our beds every evening, which was a nice touch, but we didn't feel it was necessary.

Food - We enjoyed all the restaurants. Our favorite was Jasmine's. We also loved, loved, loved the cafe! It was so nice to be able to go in anytime and satisfy your sweet tooth. You must ask for a crepe. They make it fresh while you wait with the filling of your choice. Yummy! The beach barbecue is a lot of fun and the midnight chocolate buffet was worth waiting up for.

Pools and beach - The pools are very nice. We spent most of our time just floating around in the main pool and sipping on our drinks. Talk about relaxation! The swim-up bar is the best part because you don't even have to get out of the pool. The beach is beautiful. There is tons of beach chairs. The water is crystal clear. My husband and I spent a lot of our time just snorkeling in front of the resort. We saw tons of star fish, congos and puffer fish while doing this. We got bit by the sand fleas, but what are you going to do. It happens! Since it was their rainy season, it rained every day around 2pm, but we would just go back to our room and shower and get dressed for our evening.

Activities - There is a ton of activities going on all day. I got resort certified and went scuba diving. I have never done this before so it was a great experience for me, but others were saying that there wasn't as much sea life as other places. Some people in our group saw a big sting ray. We also went out on the hobie cat, which was fun. They also have sailing, kayaking and water skiing. We didn't do any of the tours that they offer.

The people working at the resort really made our vacation extra special. I really can not say enough about the people working here. Any time you passed a worker as you were walking, they always made a point to say hello. The bartenders at the martini bar were our favorite. We sat up there one night and learned alot from them about the Jamaican culture. They had a lot of great stories to tell.

My only con is that we didn't have a chance to get many souvenirs. The resort has outside vendors come in once a week to sell their crafts, but we didn't realize that they came only once, so we didn't buy much while they were there. If you don't leave the resort, the gift shop has souvenirs, but they are very pricey.

Overall, our trip was wonderful and we would go back in a heartbeat. Please feel free to email me with any questions, molenda_chrissy@yahoo.com.

• Liked — Friendly service, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Too far away from other things
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring bug spray and sunblock
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank cmm390

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,073)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2007

Just returned, literally 1 hour ago, from the Sandals Whitehouse. My husband and I stayed there from December 26th through Jan 1st. It was great to get out of Chicago's 40 degree weather! We got married a year ago at the Sandals in the Bahamas and wanted to celebrate our 1st anniversary at the Whitehouse. We flew on Air Jamaica, which was fine and uneventful. They do serve food on their flights which was a plus since fewer and fewer airlines do anymore. The ride to and from the airport is long and obnoxious, but it gets you where you need to go. At least you get to see some very beautiful scenery on the way. The check-in process at the Whitehouse was very speedy. We had orignally booked a beachfront, penthouse concierge suite but were upgraded to a butler suite at check-in. We had never used the butler service before and did not think we were going to use it, but were pleasantly surprised at how great it was. We had two butlers, Dwayne and Tashwayne, who were wonderful! I cannot say enough about them. My only complaint, if you can call it that, is that we had no clue how to tip them. This is the only service that requires a tip and we had no guidelines as to how to do it. And yes, I am sure you can ask, but we just continued to tip them generously. As for the room itself, it was in the Italian village which is a great location. It was large and homey, facing the ocean. We got to do a candle light dinner on our balcony the last evening there and enjoyed that. The grounds for the resort and very beautiful and well kept. We did not experience any issues with bugs, which I was afraid of having read previous reviews before going. Daytime, we mostly just sat on some beach chairs and relaxed. We liked to break up our lounging with walks along the very large beachfront. We did enjoy the beach. We were surprised to find that topless bathing was okay, not that it bothered us. We did two tours which we thought they were not great. They were the sunset catamaran cruise and the shopping trip to Negril. We were going to do the river cruise and Y.S. falls, but decided not to having not so great experiences on the previous two tours. Plus, the Whitehouse is pretty far away from anthing so it takes another hour or so just to get to the tour. At night, the entertainment was fair. But, I wasn't expecting any great performers. They did do a pretty good job with New Year's Eve and we had a great time. As for the food. it too was average to good. Again, I wasn't expecting gourmet and having been to a Sandals before I knew what to expect. We did really enjoy the pastry shop. It was fun to get some desserts to share and they all tasted great! All in all, we had a great time and would go back!

24 Thank Melissa P
london,Canada
Reviewed 1 January 2007

We were at Sandals Whitehouse Nov24-Dec1/06 and enjoyed for the most part our first trip to Jamaica and first trip to a Sandals resort. We have been to Cuba twice, Dominican twice and Mexico once so we compare to what we've experienced at the other resorts.

Our holiday started off bad as a result of Air Canada informing us and several other customers that we were on standby because of overweight cargo from other passengers. We didn't know if we were going to make the flight until 10 minutes before boarding. Considering that Air Canada deems the cargo is more important to get on the flight than the paying passengers I doubt we will fly with them again. The sickening feeling of wondering whether we would be on the plane is not worth the fact that the planes are roomier than other planes we have been on. At least with Sky Service we didn't have to worry whether we would be on the plane or not.

The ride to the resort is on narrow, windy roads which gives a wonderful view of the beautiful countryside. The down side is the speed at which some of the drivers travel making one wonder and hope you get there safely. The drive didn't bother me but both times it affected my husband negatively even though he took gravol which only seemed to help a little.

We found the weather to be perfect for us. It was warm with very little humidity every day. It was sunny and clear in the morning and for the first few days it clouded over for several hours in the afternoon and sometimes rained and then it stopped for the evenings. I think we only used our umbrellas once. It had rained the previous week and one of the employees made the comment that he would be glad when the cold front passed. I said that he had no idea what a cold front was and that our cold fronts were below zero. We all laughed and he said yes but it was cold for them.

We stayed in the French Village on the second floor close to the end which was a short walk to the pool, beach restaurant and beach. We loved this area because of the location. We walked every morning on the beach up to the restaurant for breakfast and never had a problem with the distance. We both enjoyed the walking for the exercise. This wouldn't be ideal for anyone who has mobility problems but it didn't pose any problems for us.

We thought the whole layout, buildings, landscaping and beach was gorgeous and liked everything about it. Lots of chairs for everyone at the beach except for the day they did the photo shoot and they removed all the hundreds of beach chairs and only replaced them with a few of the padded pool chairs. This was annoying because they didn't replace all the chairs that we and others were using so when we came back from lunch there was nothing to sit on until I found some chairs that weren't being used and dragged them down. When we were there there was no seaweed in front of the French village, a little in front of the Dutch and the most was in front of the Italian village so I thought our area was the best for swimming, with the Dutch area second.

The water was never rough enough that one couldn't go in the water. The only down side was the occasional jellyfish which were so clear you didn't see them until you got stung. It seemed the jellyfish were more prominent in the afternoons than the mornings. I got stung a couple of times on different days and the last time left a large welt and then when it disappeared it left a burn mark which has discoloured my skin but it wasn't any big deal. We also noticed a few bite marks once and a while which we assumed were from the sand flies but they were never itchy and didn't bother us.

There are 7 food outlets and we don't usually eat a la carte because we enjoy buffets better but that is what is offered so we tried them all. The resort was less than half full when we were there so we never had any long waits to get in to any of the restaurants. We enjoy trying different foods so we never ordered anything that we would normally eat back home. The only restaurant we were really disappointed in our meal was at Eleanors and that is only because we didn't enjoy what we had ordered.

We enjoyed the nightly outdoor shows and ended every evening at Cafe de Paris which quickly became a wonderful habit. We didn't bother with the disco so don't know how it was. We found the staff to be friendly and very helpful. If you have a problem or are unhappy about something,don't be afraid to mention it to management. If the lobby staff doesn't seem too interested in your concerns, leave a letter to be given to the manager and it will be looked after.

There is so much more that could be said but even though there were a few glitches they weren't serious enough that we wouldn't return.We didn't participate in the various activities but we went for relaxation and that is what we did and loved it. Compared to our other holidays it rates as one of our best, ties with our Playa del Carmen holiday last year and we will definitely try another Sandals in the future.

• Liked — liked everything
  • Disliked — drive to resort at too fast of speed
  • Tips/Secrets — if motion sickness affects you, take gravol before getting into van- most of all relax and enjoy, you're on holidays
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
9 Thank snowyowl
Tallahassee
Reviewed 31 December 2006

We traveled to Sandals Whitehouse for our 25th Wedding anniversary and was a little anxious about the trip from Montego Bay to the resort because of some of the reviews written about the bumpy roads. Yes, the roads are bumpy, but my concerns were not relaxed. Good conversation goes a long way.

After we landed in Montego Bay we went through customs with no problems and was invited to relax in Sandals refreshment center. We waited approximately 15 minutes before it was announced that we were ready to load for the trip to the resort. Unfortunately, we ended up waiting another 20 minutes after we loaded the van because the other couple that was coming in flight was delayed. The driver loaded us and walked away. We had to inquire to find out what was going on. We took the the drive to the resort in a very comfortable van with relaxing pleasant ragae music.

Upon arrival we relaxed in the lobby with champagne and after completing some paper work we were assigned to the Italian Village; the best village of all. We booked a deluxe and was upgraded. This was a special treat. In addition, the food, entertainment, staff, were all great. Our favorite restaurant was Bayside because they offer the best food and service.

The resort provided us with a cake and champagne for our anniversary and they announced it in their daily newsletter. This was my all time favorite vacation and we can't wait for our next trip. The weather was perfect; approximately 85 degrees each day. The worst thing about the trip was that we did not stay long enough.

• Liked — Very clean and good location
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Personal Tour Bus to Negril-Worth the trip
12 Thank Tripsforever
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 29 December 2006

My new bride and I visited Sandals Whitehouse from December 17th-22nd. To say that this was a perfect would be an understatement.

We flew into Montego Bay and were immediately pointed in the direction of the Sandals lounge. Once there, our baggage was handled by the stewards and we were allowed to get a quick beverage (Red Stripe on tap) before our bus was announced to be leaving. The driver for our bus was very nice, told us a few things about what we were seeing on the way to Whitehouse. I had heard all the stories about how the trip was long and motion-sickness inspiring. I have no complaints about the trip. It was right at 1.5 hours. You do go through some rugged terrain, but once you get used to the way that people drive in Jamaica, it is no trouble at all. NOTE: Neither the bus drivers or the stewards at the airport are Sandals employees and they should be tipped accordingly.

It is amazing that you drive through such squalor and simplicity for 1.5 hours, then once you make that right turn into Whitehouse luxury awaits. The resort entrance looks like something out of a movie.

We booked a Concierge Suite for our honeymoon and once we got the resort, we were whisked to the Concierge Lounge and were given champagne while we waited to register. After a whole day of travel we were ready to be in the room, but the beverage and nice air conditioning made this tolerable.

Once in the room, we were extremely satisfied. The room was spacious, with a four-post king bed. There was a sofa and chair, and a balancony with a table a two chairs. Our view was of a palm tree, but your could clearly see one of the pools and the ocean from our room. The refrigerator included with the Concierge level did have water, juices, sodas, beer, champagne, and white wine and it was restocked every day. There was Appleton Rum, vodka, gin, scotch, and a red wine in the bar. These were also restocked/refilled every day.

Most of our time was spent enjoying the pools and the beach. There are three pools. The Main Pool is incredible, with a swim up bar. There are chairs and floats galore for everyone to use. The swim up bar was fully stocked and they would willingly make anything you wanted. You can sit at the bar at this pool and watch the ocean, and even the sunset later on in the afternoon. From 10am until about 12pm, there are activities at the main pool and the music gets a little loud, but not too disturbing that you would want to leave. The French pool actually was our favorite. It was always VERY quiet, and never had more than 12 people in it. There is a swim up bar there, it is right by the beach, and it is near Bluefields. This pool is a little far from the main resort area, so if you are looking for secluded sunbathing this is for you. The Dutch pool was right outside our room, but there was always a larger group of 50-somethings that were there all day. They were a little obnoxious and we chose to stay way from them. This pool has a bar, but it is not swim up. All of the pools have whirlpools.

The food was INCREDIBLE. There are four full-service restaurants (Bayside, Eleanors, Jasmines, and Giuseppes), two other restaurants (Arizonas and Bluefields), and a pastry shop (le Cafe Paris). Monday night at Bayside was our favorite meal - it was a HUGE buffet on the patio with roasted pigs, jerk everything, salad/cheese/& dessert lines...in short it was fantastic. Jasmines was OK, it was my least favorite, but my wife loved the Toffee Apple dessert. I love Italian cuisine, and I tend to be picky, but Guiseppes was very good. I was pleased from my Caesar salad all the way to my Tiramisu. Eleanors we got "to go" on the last night we were there and it was my wife's favorite entree. We both had filet mignon and it was excellent. Arizonas was good when you needed a cheeseburger to remind you or home, or a plate of nachos late at night. Bluefields had excellent jerk chicken, and it is right on the beach at the end of the property - a nice secluded lunch spot.

We went on the glass-bottom boat ride, took out an aquatrike, went kayaking, and snorkeling. The aquatrike I could do without, it is more work than fun. Kayaking was a lot of fun, and we got some good pictures while we were out. The glass-bottom boat ride was a little disappointing, but the guide explained that the waters around the resort are part of the biggest fishing village in Jamaica and there wouldnt be a lot of fish where we could see them. Snorkeling was nice - neither of us had ever been before. They gave a 30 second lesson and dumped us in the water! It was really all your needed, so much of it you have to figure out on your own. I really do encourage you to do this if you havent before. You will see a lot of "Nemos & Dorries", as well as urchin, remora, starfish, etc. The reef is beautiful.

My wife wanted to see Dunns River Falls, so we paid to go on the Ocho Rios Hi-Lite Tour. This was by far the low-lite of our trip. We knew that is was a "three hour tour," but I suppose we expected a little more out of it. The guide told us very little about what we were passing. When we saw "tour" we thought we would get a "tour." He talked to the driver or napped for most of the trip. We did stop at three other Sandals resorts on the way there and back, either for breakfast, lunch, or a restroom/snack stop. If I had paid to stay at one of those resorts, then visited Whitehouse, I would have been livid. They are nowhere near as nice as "Jewel of the South." Montego Bay is old, looked dingy, the staff wasnt nearly as friendly, and it is literally right at the end of the runway from Sangster Airport. Ocho Rios is older and had an odd odor - not sure what that was. It is one of the larger properties, and not all of the rooms had a view of the ocean from what I could see. Also, it is in the middle of Ocho Rios, which would be a big deterrant for me. Grand Carribean was the nicest of the three, but still a long shot from Whitehouse - not even in the same ballpark.

We went to a dduty-free mall while on the tour, which was another let down. All the store sold the same T-shirt and souvenir crap. They are all apparently owned by the same Indian family. Also, either they didnt pay their electricity bill, the power was out in the area, or they chose to keep all the lights and the AC off during the hottest part of the day. Awful! Next we went to the craft market where they also all sold the same homemade goods and molested you non-stop to come to their booth, let you braid their hair, or to buy their drugs. Finally, when we left we were on the way to the Falls.

Dunns River is really beautful. We took a guided tour up the falls, and the guide would take pictures of us with our camera. These are some of our favorite pics of the week. There were some lowpoints that I will discuss about Dunns River. First take watershoes (not flip flops) if you dont have them, you will have to pay $5USD each to rent them. Second, one of you guides will hard-sell you a DVD of your trip. They start at $40, but we walked away and eventually ended up paying $20. There were several on our trip that paid $40. Third, the guide will expect you to tip him, and will follow you to the bus to make sure he gets it. He actually waited outside the bus for his last tip for about 10 minutes before he finally discovered that the redneck couple from Tennessee was stiffing him. He really wasnt all that helpful and went up the falls WAY too fast for people with short legs, like my wife. Still, I tipped him for the great pics he took.

In short, this tour was a bust. Including souvenirs, cost of the tour, tips for driver, guide, Dunns river guide, we were out about $400. It also took from 7:30am-8:30pm, so we missed out on a lot. We decided that when we go back, we wont take any tours! We will just enjoy what is on the property!

Check-out the next day was a breeze, however it was very sad. We did have some things taken out of our luggage while at the airport. It must have looked expensive in that Sandals bag, even though it was just our souvenirs from the duty free mall. It was really disappointing to not have anything to give our four young nephews, though.

If you decide to go to Whitehouse, you will not be disappointed. It was first rate all the way. I think my wife wants to go back jus tfor the late night chocolate buffet.

• Liked — Sun, pool, beach, watersports, service, food....and a drink called a Hummingbird
  • Disliked — Leaving and outside tours
  • Tips/Secrets — Concierge service may not be worth the extra money. Do not leave the resort without tip money in hand!
13 Thank phishininau
Woodbridge, VA
Reviewed 21 December 2006

We stayed at Sandals Whitehouse from Dec 12th - 19th and we thoroughly enjoyed our vacation. This is our 2nd visit to a Sandals resort (the other being in St Lucia).

I'm not sure what all of the negative reviews are about, except that people's expectations must be really high.

Whitehouse resort is beautifully landscaped, all of the employees were VERY friendly, the food was very good (a few exceptional meals and a few not great meals), there were activities all day long if you wanted to participate. Our drinks were never watered down, as some have said. Quite the opposite, some of our drinks were too strong. The beaches were very well maintained and so were the water sports equipment. We went out on the Hobie Cats severals days in a row and enjoyed sailing in the bay. There was entertainment EVERY evening which was pretty good. The restaurants were very good too. We never waited for a table. When we arrived our tour guide told us the peak dining hours were 7:30-8:30 and there could be 1/2 hour wait. We avoided those times and never had a problem.

The only issue I had with the resort was that the restaurants required closed toed shoes for men. I knew the dress code was "Evening Resort Wear", but I found nothing written regarding men's shoes. Unfortunately, that required us buying a new pair of shoes for my husband.

Otherwise, everything was very nice and as expected. To those couples who felt Sandals was way overpriced, I would suggest they try some of the other resorts or staying at a nice hotel and buying meals daily. I think they will find that Sandals is not overpriced.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
24 Thank Mtavish
frazi028
Reviewed 20 December 2006

The Sandals Whitehouse was an amazing experience. This was my first time to Jamaica and to an all inclusive resort. Let's put it this way: my boyfriend almost booked another trip for next year because we loved it sooooo much!

The drive is long to the resort but I enjoyed the sights and sounds, along with a great driver who explained some culture to us. The drive is worth it when you see this beautiful resort. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. We were greeted with a cool towel and glass of champagne. Check-in was a breeze and we were in our room in 30 minutes.

The rooms are very nice and clean with all the basics included. We were in the Dutch village on the first floor; had a great view of the beach and ocean so don't worry if you are not on the top!

The food was great- never had a bad meal and felt like I ate around the clock! Cafe De Paris was the best part- pastries and coffee from 6am-11pm. The midnight buffets are really nice too- so try not to miss them. A word about the dress code: my boyfriend hates to dress up but didn't mind because the food was so good. He wore causal pants, hawaiian shirts, and closed toed Birks and was fine. After dinner he would change and we would go back out to the shows and bars.

Drinks- wonderful! We would just ask them to make us something and they would do an awesome job! One of my favs was the Jamaican Smile and our favorite bartender was Elton! One evening my boyfriend wanted to bring me a glass of champagne and Elton gave him the entire bottle!!!

Must do: Sunset photos. The picture turned out great and the sunset was incredible (especially after it rains). You can take all the pics you like and see them all in the photo shop- no pressure to buy!

Sand fleas: they did come out and get me after it rained but I didn't have my OFF on either. If you keep the OFF on you will be fine!

We didn't do any excursions because the resort was so nice and had everything we needed. One word of advice: shop at the airport! You can get everything you need there!

Overall, it was great time and a great resort. We are ready to go back!! I booked this resort based on reviews from this site and was not disappointed. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me!

rlfnurse@yahoo.com

Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,780 reviews

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!