My husband and I spent our 7th anniversary at Sandals Whitehouse in December 2005 and loved the resort so much, we chose to return last month. Last year, the beaches were gorgeous and well manicured except for a small yellow fish that would bite us every time we went swimming. This year, not only were the yellow fish still there, but there was so much seaweed that there were also jelly fish and star fish! So, we never really felt comfortable swimming in the ocean. The resort is really nice- very upscale. There are beautiful swimming pools, but we'd come to swim in the ocean.
The grounds are beautiful. We loved our room with a view of the water, and the setting really is paradise. The room was well maintained. The US television stations only worked intermittently, but we didn't come to watch tv anyway. We were determined not to let the problem with the beach keep us from having a great time.
We did feel the quality of the food and service in the restaurants had gone down, though, which was disappointing. In 2005, the New Year's celebration was great! Fabulous outdoor buffet around the pool and 3 different bands by the pool for entertainment. All the dinner tables were surrounding the pool, so we could enjoy the entertainment. This year, the qualify of the food on the buffet was reduced dramatically, and there was only one entertainer, who was located far away from the food, in a plaza where there were no tables, so that people just stood around or just went to bed. It was so disappointing!
My last comment is that although the staff is normally accommodating, we encountered several members of the restaurant staff who were downright rude to us! Last year, it took forever to get your food at the restaurants. This year was a little better. But at this all-inclusive resort, where all the food and alcohol is included in your fee, we sometimes would order a third entree for dinner,so that we could try new things. The reaction was always negative. We weren't being pigs, but one night, our group of 6 ordered 10 appetizers (they were small) at the Chinese restaurant, and the waitress muttered under her breath, "Jesus!" when we did that. We were really embarrassed at her reaction. Another day, we decided to step into the buffet for a late lunch, and the woman rudely told us the buffet was now closed, without letting us know where we could go for a snack. The staff in the restaurants was downright perturbed when I asked for straws for my iced tea, or when I asked for more sweetener for my tea. There was no reason for their negative reaction to my requests for service. Last thing, the quality of the wine this year was dramatically lower. Last year, there was a selection of South American and European wines in the different restaurants, which was nice. This year, there was only one brand available, a California label which I consider "grocery store" quality, and they had no cabernet while we were there, only merlot.
Of course we had a wonderful time. But we won't be going back to Sandals Whitehouse next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Prestigia, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica