“Special All-Inclusive”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
Chicago, Illinois
“Special All-Inclusive”
Reviewed 8 January 2007

I'm a travel agent and stay at many different accomodations and different countries. This was my first stay at a Sandals, although I have visited the Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Royal Caribbean (both resorts were actually located in Montego Bay, unlike the Whitehouse).

My stay was from December 2, 2006 for 7 nights. Yes, I did pay out of my pocket for this stay (although at a reduced rate as an agent) but this resort stood out from other resorts I have stayed at in this past 30 years.

The airport at Montego Bay is uncomfortable - although I noticed the renovations from my previous visit 4 years earlier. The air-conditioning is poor/warm, the wait in the lines to go through customs is too long, but Jamaica is making some strides in upgrading their airport. In otherwords, I've seen alot worse. I loved the ride to the resort, although it's an hour and a half. Sit in the front of the van/bus and ask the driver about the surrounding countryside and maybe you'll learn about the real Jamaica. It's a beautiful country, albeit not up to the US standards in the countryside, i.e., some poverty.

My take on the resort:

Rooms - any room at this resort is fine. Every room is on the ocean, unlike most resorts. You look out your window, or go out on the balcony and you face straight out to the ocean. Yes, some of the rooms have a "better" view; those being on the corners of the buildings, with a larger balcony. Yes, some of the more expensive room categories that you pay for include liquor in your mini-bar or have a jacuzzi in the room. The far more expensive room categories are actually suites, some with butler service. Would I sell this? Yep, if the client wanted it. I saw some of the butlers at work, and would like mine to go to the front of the line in a restaurant to obtain my table, or bring me room service and set it up in my room. I didn't have room service nor concierge service, I had to walk to get my breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, but after eating all the wonderful food I was thankful I had some exercise. The Italian Village was nearest village to most of the restaurants, so therefore if the Sandals Whitehouse can meet your request, I would ask for accomodations there if I had problems walking any distance. (The Italian Village had no pool in front of it though, only a hot tub - but was close to the main, large pool). Bathrooms were handicapp acessible, although I would of liked to have seen a grab bar by the toilets in some rooms (maybe there was, I didn't inquire). The walls were thick enough with no noise from other rooms. Good reception for satellite TV and yes, my cell phone worked better down here than in Cancun or Cabo. (Because, Jamaica's infrastructure is set up for cell phone service in the countryside, you'll see all the service staff carrying cell phones to call their Jamaican homes). Take your walking shoes for this resort, it's spread out, even a walk to the nearest elevator from some rooms.

Food and Drink - that is where this all-inclusive resort stood out! I'd say 90% of all my meals were outstanding and I'm from a great "foodie" city of Chicago. Bravo to Sandals for offering real Jamaican dishes, they were very good and not just the typical jerk chicken or jerk pork. Sushi anyone, especially in Jamaica? You can eat all you want in the Asian restaurant here, and it's pristine, although there's not much variety to choose from. The steaks in various restaurants were prime, not the tough meat you get in Mexico. Lobster tails were even darn good, much better than on cruise lines. Anyone who complains about the food here is not adventurous or ran into the 10% choices I made that were just not to my liking. Save your appetite for late nite buffets, yummy seafood and chocolate buffets if you stay the whole week. I don't drink, but my husband was quite pleased with the rum (Appleton) at the bars, good mixed drinks especially tropical ones (bananas were in short supply for the tropical drinks though) and if you like a good Cosmopolitan or Greygoose Vodka martini, go to Casablanca at nite. Oh, the smoothies at breakfast are yummy too. Beer lovers might be disappointed though, Red Stripe is the commonly served beer here.

Service - almost 100% again on this, most all of the employees were friendly, and helpful. Considering Sandals was one of the largest employers in the countryside (unless you want to be a fisherman), many of the service staff did an outstanding job. You wish you could tip some of the staff, but that's a no-no, except for exceptions like the butlers. Don't expect the staff to move swiftly, you're on vacation at this Sandals (or think "Jamaican time" no problem). Housekeeping was somewhat sloppy, I noticed leftover kleenix and papers from previous guests under my bed; and the screens leading to the balcony take a beating from guest, with holes in them. But eventually maintenance will get to your room if you ask them to replace your screen.

Entertainment - good. Here's where I thought Sandals can do a better job - once again their venue for viewing the entertainment is not large enough (more seats needed), nor is it very classy. I did notice upstairs seating, but didn't check it out. That said, Sandals would you please spend some more money on your entertainment areas. The entertainers from outside were good, their entertainment staff did a good job. Don't miss the singers they bring in, they're very good. Audience participation nites were always fun; the Jamaican cultural dancers were just OK.

Activities - get up early, walk the long beach, sign up for the games, or just reserve a seat early at the large pool. Don't worry, you'll eventually find seating or a float for the main pool. Or try the "quiet" smaller pool at the Dutch Village or the busier French Village pool next door that has the Jamaican restaurant for lunch and a swimup bar too. Snorkeling is almost non-existant, as the reef has been "trashed" by over fishing/dynamite fishing/hurricanes. Water skiing is available! Didn't go on any tours/excursions off the property. Try the spa, very nice facility, not for free though.

Setting - the ocean is fairly clear, don't expect crystal clear water like south of Cancun or the Bahamas for example. It seems as if the sand on the beach was shipped in, as it seemed finer, softer and whiter than the normal Jamaican sand I saw in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. The grounds are well manicured with fountains and bridges in some spots, and bare patches in the lawn in other parts. Mountains are beautiful and lush, as are most of the grounds at Sandals. Very tropical at nite, with the tree frogs. Bugs were not bothersome when I was there, just bring some Deep Woods to spray before dusk if you're watching the beautiful sunsets.

Sorry, for the long review. My husband and I celebrated a wonderful 22nd wedding anniversay while here. I have been to the Palace resorts for adults only in Mexico. I have been to the Virgin Islands, Martinique for my honeymoon. There are prettier tropical settings than where the Whitehouse is located, but for an all-inclusive resort with an oceanside room and good food, I would recommend this to most people. In summation, it's relaxing, and worth the price!

• Liked — Full oceanview, food and drink, service
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring a cheap float to use in the ocean and good walking shoes
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
32 Thank Travelagent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,075)
Texas
Reviewed 8 January 2007

This review is a little overdue, but I have two important things to share. I would like to preface the two drawback by saying this: our honeymoon was amazing in every way. The resort is perfect for almost everyone. Food is good, beach is pretty. The resort and the room itself were gorgeous. Jamaica has much to offer: cliff diving, waterfalls, river rafting etc...

Drawback number one: if you are a scuba diver, Jamaica is not the place to go. Not much marine life and most coral is dead and lacking color.

Drawback number two: This resort is far far away from most others and does not participate in the stay at one play at the others program that Sandals advertises. Sandals should make this clear at time of booking. Do not pay for the dolphin encounters or other activities that are available on other parts of Jamaica unless you want to spend a huge amount of money to get there. We made this mistake only to find out how expensive it would be to get to other parts of the island. We thought we could get there using the resorts busses to other sandals resorts. After a long battle with the help of our credit card company we got our money back from Dolphin Cove.

I hope the mention of these two drawbacks helps those who they might affect.

• Liked — Beautiful Grounds and Architecture
  • Disliked — Distance from other activities
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
10 Thank TexasPaula
Itasca, Illinois
Reviewed 7 January 2007

My husband and I stayed at SDR from 11-17-06 to 11-24-06 then spent the following week 11-24-06 to 12-1-06 at SWH. We were at SGOR 10 years ago, so this was our second visit to Jamaica and Sandals.

We split the 2 weeks at 2 different resorts. We were transferred by
private taxi which was a 3 1/2 hour ride. A hellacious ride. We wont do that again!

We arrive at Sandals Whitehouse--
It's beautiful, but HUGE. We did receive an upgrade there as well to a
luxury room in the Dutch building. We followed the bellman for a long
almost 10 minute walk to the Dutch building. We had a nice room, ok view, until we went into the bathroom. The bathroom grout in the shower was covered in mold and mildew. I mean covered. This was not a minor oversight in cleaning, this was a growth problem. We called the front desk and explained the problem. We were assured that housekeeping would be up to take care of this immediately. They did not come for hours. We left and went to dinner, unshowered (which we were not happy about). When we returned, we called again and was told that it was cleaned!. No way.. We asked for as manger and was then told we could be moved to another room but not until tomorrow. We reluctantly stayed in that room till the next day. We called in the morning and was told to pack up and they will move us by 1:00pm! It was 4:00 before we were moved 3 doors down. We began to unpack and when we opened the closet door there was water dripping from the ceiling. Another call to the manager and maintenance arrived shortly. They did seem to correct the problem which we were told was associated with the air conditioning system. It was a clean room, but much to my disappointment they put another couple in the mold room within hours. We did not expect this from Sandals. This is a new resort and if the housekeeping was up to par on a regular basis that would not have happened. We were very disheartened by this experience from Sandals. Whitehouse is very pretty but not consistent. The food was good at
Bayside again, and at Arizona. The italian restaurant was fair, and the pizza was partially raw. The pastry shop was excellent and the martini bar had great drinks and service, but who decided to put the martini bar at the top of 2 flights of stairs was not thinking clearly. Most of the staff was very nice, particularly the ladies at the Bayside in the morning. Such nice women with great smiles. The pools were nice and the beach was beautiful. The Dutch pool bar was terrible though. Lousy drinks.
Actually except for the martini bar, I never got the same drink made
twice the same way. Most bartenders were inconsistent and not very
friendly. We were aware of the sand flies so we did bring off and had no bites.

We wont say it was a bad time at the Whitehouse but after being at
Dunns River it was a little let down. The tours were great though. We did the Canopy tour (which my husband still cant believe I did), the YS Falls and The Black River Safari. If you do the Canopy tour and are
thinking of doing the river tubing, they are at the same place so book them together and you will save a lot of driving time and not lose another day.
Again the Whitehouse is huge and there is a lot of walking involved to
everything. If you want to be as close as you can ask for the Italian
building. It's still a little walk though.

Oh, before I forget, we did take a shuttle over to Sandals Grande Ocho
Rios when we were at Dunns to see how it has changed in 10 years. We
were surprised how large it had become as well. We did have dinner there at the italian restaurant and had to go back to SDR to eat again.
Portions were so small it was like an appetizer. We are not looking for mounding plates but a 1 bite appetizer is ridiculous. It still lays out like a garden and the beach bar was still very nice and friendly, but Dunns River has it all.

Overall, we still love Jamaica, it's people and yes, even Sandals, but
when we go back it will be Sandals Dunn's River for a guaranteed great
time, rain or shine....Thanks again.

Hope this helps, and have a great time.

• Liked — The beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — The mold in the bathroom and lack of consistency
  • Tips/Secrets — There is a lot of walking at this resort, other Sandals are easier to navigate
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
9 Thank kskorpio
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 7 January 2007

My husband and I spent our 7th anniversary at Sandals Whitehouse in December 2005 and loved the resort so much, we chose to return last month. Last year, the beaches were gorgeous and well manicured except for a small yellow fish that would bite us every time we went swimming. This year, not only were the yellow fish still there, but there was so much seaweed that there were also jelly fish and star fish! So, we never really felt comfortable swimming in the ocean. The resort is really nice- very upscale. There are beautiful swimming pools, but we'd come to swim in the ocean.

The grounds are beautiful. We loved our room with a view of the water, and the setting really is paradise. The room was well maintained. The US television stations only worked intermittently, but we didn't come to watch tv anyway. We were determined not to let the problem with the beach keep us from having a great time.

We did feel the quality of the food and service in the restaurants had gone down, though, which was disappointing. In 2005, the New Year's celebration was great! Fabulous outdoor buffet around the pool and 3 different bands by the pool for entertainment. All the dinner tables were surrounding the pool, so we could enjoy the entertainment. This year, the qualify of the food on the buffet was reduced dramatically, and there was only one entertainer, who was located far away from the food, in a plaza where there were no tables, so that people just stood around or just went to bed. It was so disappointing!

My last comment is that although the staff is normally accommodating, we encountered several members of the restaurant staff who were downright rude to us! Last year, it took forever to get your food at the restaurants. This year was a little better. But at this all-inclusive resort, where all the food and alcohol is included in your fee, we sometimes would order a third entree for dinner,so that we could try new things. The reaction was always negative. We weren't being pigs, but one night, our group of 6 ordered 10 appetizers (they were small) at the Chinese restaurant, and the waitress muttered under her breath, "Jesus!" when we did that. We were really embarrassed at her reaction. Another day, we decided to step into the buffet for a late lunch, and the woman rudely told us the buffet was now closed, without letting us know where we could go for a snack. The staff in the restaurants was downright perturbed when I asked for straws for my iced tea, or when I asked for more sweetener for my tea. There was no reason for their negative reaction to my requests for service. Last thing, the quality of the wine this year was dramatically lower. Last year, there was a selection of South American and European wines in the different restaurants, which was nice. This year, there was only one brand available, a California label which I consider "grocery store" quality, and they had no cabernet while we were there, only merlot.

Of course we had a wonderful time. But we won't be going back to Sandals Whitehouse next year.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — quality of food in restaurants
  • Tips/Secrets — be careful swimming in the ocean
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
9 Thank deweytruman
Basking Ridge, NJ
Reviewed 6 January 2007

just got back from SWH 3 night getaway...

sandals waiting area in the airport: very well furnished & clean w/complimentary beverages.

bus ride: waited about 10 min for our bus, new w/ A/C. 90 min through poverty stricken country side, some people may think this ride is a little scary, we didn't about 1/2 way through you stop at a rest area which is safe, you can use restrooms buy a drink, snack, cigarettes, this rest stop is for tourist only. once we approach the resort we were greeted by staff w/ cold towels and champagne.

room: we had a premium beachfront room on the 3rd floor in the french village which is the furthest from all the restaurants and entertainment, which was ok we were able to walk the grounds and enjoy the whole resort. our room was very well furnished and stocked w/ soda, juices, and bottled water. housekeeping always kept the room clean. keep in mind all rooms at this resort are true beachfront. we didn't want to waste our money on an upgraded room just to have a bar or butler, we didn't think it was worth it for a 3 night getaway.

staff: respectful and very friendly.

service: pretty good considering it's jamaica and not NYC.

restaurants: plenty of them, food was excellent, plenty of options for all tastes. again, food is EXCELLENT!!

pools: 3 big pools 2 w/ swimup bars, very clean

beach/ocean: huge beach about 1/2 mi long & wide in plenty of spots plenty of lounge chairs & umbrellas, ocean is warm and appears to be a blueish green, beach is very well kept and clean. we didn't encounter one sand flea or get bit by one bug.

weather: sunny w/ some clouds high 80's during the day low 70's at night w/ an amazing breeze. there was no rain for our stay (when it does rain it's around 4:00pm for a short time than it clears up, so dont worry it's always nice in jamaica).

I'm trying to keep this review as short as possible so i'll end it like this....this was our 2nd time at this resort we LOVED IT, this resort is for couples looking to relax, sunbathe, drink, go to a nice dinner in which most people were very dressed up have some after dinner drinks and call it a night. there was plenty of local entertainment (bands, comedy, etc.), and there is plenty of land & water activities. if your looking for a resort where you can leave and go into small towns and shop and walk around this place is not for you, it's in the middle of nowhere w/ nothing around which we like very much. it's very private, brand new, and absouletly beautiful.

Tips: see about joining the signature series membership it's free. we joined online and recieved 15,000 signet points which was $375 in additional savings on an already discounted price. we paid $2048 for 3 nights in a premium beachfront room w/ air included, we thought is was very fair.

7 nights here would be a little boring for us, but it was great for a 3 night getaway WE LOVED IT!!!!!!!

don't waste your money on an upgraded room, all rooms are true beachfront.

bring some bug spray, just in case, we didn't need but you may.

this place is good for a nice getaway to RELAX and enjoy time w/ your spouse/ partner.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank G.I.A.-TRIP
Granbury, Texas
Reviewed 5 January 2007

Hello everyone! My husband and I had read these reviews for 17 months previous to being there. This was the most awesome vacation I had ever dreamt of, and still can't believe we've "been there, done that"!. I miss Jamaica every day, and can't wait to return. I'll try to compact, but seriously, could write a book on our trip, it was just amazing! My hubby & I were celebrating our 13th wedding anniversary, never been outside our country. We booked at the Sandals Inn, the lowest price vacation Sandals had for Jamaica. We were just looking for relaxation, romance, all inclusive, lots of quiet times. We were very surprised when we were contacted giving us a free up-grade to the Whitehouse, I had to tell them we needed to check it out first on the internet. Boy, was I delighted to accept that! Tnis was the most dream vacation come true! I had read the advice for the sickness pills,
bought them, didn't need them. The trip to the resort is scary, just don't look ahead. The driver's do this everyday, watch & absorb the trip, you'll be very happy they don't have accidents, just "near misses", along your trips! The arrival is everything you've read about, Red Stripe in the lounge upon your arrival in Montego Bay , cold towels & champagne once you get to the Whitehouse. We had a room in the Italian Village, very nice! Everyday, room service & re-stocking of your fridge with juices & bottled water. The retaurants are spectacular, men need to wear dress pants and collared shirts for the evening meals at Guiseppes, Eleanors & Jasmines, all the other meals at the restaurants are very relaxed, many people we met were confused, and had not experenced dining at some, because they thought they had to be dressed to be there. Our favorites were the Duck Breast & Filet Mignon at Eleanors', the T-Bone steaks at Arizonas', ABSOLUTELY, the pastries & coffees at Cafe de Paris, (several times during the day & evening's), everything was awesome ,every meal. We never experienced anything we did not enjoy. Be sure & have the mimosa's at the Bayside & Eleanor's for breakfast. Also a must have; Salmon eggs benedict, Stuffed french toast (Eleanors), Breakfast buffet at the Bayside, (& their made to order omelettes).The chocolate buffet, (my hubby filled his plate & was called back over to fill another to take back to our room). The excursions: Canopy Tour, a must do! Rayon & Keefer, excellent tour guides! A big A+! This is so awesome, we would have done it twice, had we the time for it! Fonthill Horseback tour, a MUST do, especially if you're an avid horse-back rider, you get an imazing jungle tour and go out into the ocean for horseback riding, my hubby loved it! I was a novice, Ian is an excellent guide, he tethered my horse to his, I thoroughly loved it! Have him sing you his song, it is really beautiful & he wrote it himself, he has a very beautiful soul filled voice. The Black Safari/River Falls Tour is well worth the price. We saw 2 crocodiles, they have names for them. On to the waterfalls, hubby swung out into the base with the big rope & did that twice! It is very cold! We had a wonderful lunch, courtesy of Darren & Nelson, our tour guide & driver. The sand-fleas, yes, they are there. Just wear sun-sceen with bug repellant, I think I might have had 3 bites. I could go on - and -on, we had such a terrific time. Did I say I miss Jamaica yet? I will definately be back, those warm smiles and beautiful sceneries are calling! Email me with anything else I can be helpful with, I will be happy to answer!
inchworm@mail,com

• Liked — Ver romantic, secluded
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — bugscreen
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
23 Thank inchwormsl
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 4 January 2007

My husband and I are both 25 years old, and we had our honeymoon at Sandals Whitehouse Sept 18-Sept. 25. We had an absolutely fabulous time! I can not say enough good things about this resort and the people running it.

Ride to resort - We didn't feel that the ride from the airport was nearly as bad as the impression we got from other reviews. Since we have never been to Jamaica before, it was very interesting to see the land and the way of life here. They do drive a little crazy, but it was all just a part of the Jamaican experience. We didn't mind the ride to and from the resort at all, although the ride from from the resort was a little sad because it was taking us away from paradise.

Room - We had a concierge room in the Italian village on the third floor, which was absolutely beautiful! We had a fully stocked bar which was re-stocked every day, and we had a beautiful view of the ocean from our patio. They also came and turned down our beds every evening, which was a nice touch, but we didn't feel it was necessary.

Food - We enjoyed all the restaurants. Our favorite was Jasmine's. We also loved, loved, loved the cafe! It was so nice to be able to go in anytime and satisfy your sweet tooth. You must ask for a crepe. They make it fresh while you wait with the filling of your choice. Yummy! The beach barbecue is a lot of fun and the midnight chocolate buffet was worth waiting up for.

Pools and beach - The pools are very nice. We spent most of our time just floating around in the main pool and sipping on our drinks. Talk about relaxation! The swim-up bar is the best part because you don't even have to get out of the pool. The beach is beautiful. There is tons of beach chairs. The water is crystal clear. My husband and I spent a lot of our time just snorkeling in front of the resort. We saw tons of star fish, congos and puffer fish while doing this. We got bit by the sand fleas, but what are you going to do. It happens! Since it was their rainy season, it rained every day around 2pm, but we would just go back to our room and shower and get dressed for our evening.

Activities - There is a ton of activities going on all day. I got resort certified and went scuba diving. I have never done this before so it was a great experience for me, but others were saying that there wasn't as much sea life as other places. Some people in our group saw a big sting ray. We also went out on the hobie cat, which was fun. They also have sailing, kayaking and water skiing. We didn't do any of the tours that they offer.

The people working at the resort really made our vacation extra special. I really can not say enough about the people working here. Any time you passed a worker as you were walking, they always made a point to say hello. The bartenders at the martini bar were our favorite. We sat up there one night and learned alot from them about the Jamaican culture. They had a lot of great stories to tell.

My only con is that we didn't have a chance to get many souvenirs. The resort has outside vendors come in once a week to sell their crafts, but we didn't realize that they came only once, so we didn't buy much while they were there. If you don't leave the resort, the gift shop has souvenirs, but they are very pricey.

Overall, our trip was wonderful and we would go back in a heartbeat. Please feel free to email me with any questions, molenda_chrissy@yahoo.com.

• Liked — Friendly service, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Too far away from other things
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring bug spray and sunblock
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,787 reviews

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!