If you want a truly relaxing vacation - a place that just transports you to a different world where you don't need to worry about anything - this is the place to come!
This was our second Sandals vacation. Given we were very pleased with our first trip, I thought my expectations may be too high - Not So. Do make it a point to request an upgrade: they're usually nice about that if they have availability.
Be ready to be a bit frustrated at the airport: total confusion, baggage all over the place. The Sandals lounge is ultra relaxing. Unfortunately, they hurried us into the bus, where we waited for another 45 mins. The ride was 1.5 hrs: and hilly. Didn't feel scared or anything. Just bear it: your true vacation begins later.
The resort has 3 areas (or "villages"): Italian, Dutch and French. All the action (main pool) and restaurants are closest to the Italian Village. The French Village is about 10 mins walk. The Dutch and French villages have their own pool (smaller than main) and beach. Depending on whether you like total privacy or want action: request the village where you want to stay. We stayed in the Dutch: never used the pool etc. The rooms were very large, and extremely comfortable, with a sofa, balcony and ocean view (we were upgraded though).
The main area is lovely. Very new architecture. We liked ALL the restaurant (Elenors was probably the best). The Bayside breakfast buffet was great. We tried all places for lunch, as the ambience was a little difference. I do recommend you get a feel for all places. The coffee at the Pastry shop was great - I felt the pastries themselves were just ok.
We were disappointed with the beach area. We later realized that the beach at the French Village is the best. At the main area, there were a ton of weeds. Also, I didn't fancy stepping on a star fish while in the water! This resort didn't have a ton of people lying at the beach. Not too much shade, and yes, sand flies are a problem. Take bug spray - and also use at night - even if you are not at the beach. Mosquitoes are an issue - not a huge issue - but better to be prepared. Also, snorkelling is quite lame.
There will be people taking your pictures that you can later buy. Warning that they are $10/piece for 5x7 print - so they are pricey. Keep that in mind before getting a ton of pictures taken (no obligation to buy). Sunsets at the resort are beautiful.
Activities were fun. They're kind of silly - so probably not for those who are expecting a very sophisticated - 4 seasons type environment. At night, they have entertainment - basically just fun. Sing-along-Piano bar, Street Carnival etc - enjoyed all of it.
Jamaican hospitality rocks! They really go out of your way to make your vacation special.
So if you're the type of person - who's looking for a relaxing vacation, beautiful resort and laid back - this is the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Prestigia so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica