“Loved it!”

Sandals South Coast
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 17 January 2007

If you want a truly relaxing vacation - a place that just transports you to a different world where you don't need to worry about anything - this is the place to come!

This was our second Sandals vacation. Given we were very pleased with our first trip, I thought my expectations may be too high - Not So. Do make it a point to request an upgrade: they're usually nice about that if they have availability.

Be ready to be a bit frustrated at the airport: total confusion, baggage all over the place. The Sandals lounge is ultra relaxing. Unfortunately, they hurried us into the bus, where we waited for another 45 mins. The ride was 1.5 hrs: and hilly. Didn't feel scared or anything. Just bear it: your true vacation begins later.

The resort has 3 areas (or "villages"): Italian, Dutch and French. All the action (main pool) and restaurants are closest to the Italian Village. The French Village is about 10 mins walk. The Dutch and French villages have their own pool (smaller than main) and beach. Depending on whether you like total privacy or want action: request the village where you want to stay. We stayed in the Dutch: never used the pool etc. The rooms were very large, and extremely comfortable, with a sofa, balcony and ocean view (we were upgraded though).

The main area is lovely. Very new architecture. We liked ALL the restaurant (Elenors was probably the best). The Bayside breakfast buffet was great. We tried all places for lunch, as the ambience was a little difference. I do recommend you get a feel for all places. The coffee at the Pastry shop was great - I felt the pastries themselves were just ok.

We were disappointed with the beach area. We later realized that the beach at the French Village is the best. At the main area, there were a ton of weeds. Also, I didn't fancy stepping on a star fish while in the water! This resort didn't have a ton of people lying at the beach. Not too much shade, and yes, sand flies are a problem. Take bug spray - and also use at night - even if you are not at the beach. Mosquitoes are an issue - not a huge issue - but better to be prepared. Also, snorkelling is quite lame.

There will be people taking your pictures that you can later buy. Warning that they are $10/piece for 5x7 print - so they are pricey. Keep that in mind before getting a ton of pictures taken (no obligation to buy). Sunsets at the resort are beautiful.

Activities were fun. They're kind of silly - so probably not for those who are expecting a very sophisticated - 4 seasons type environment. At night, they have entertainment - basically just fun. Sing-along-Piano bar, Street Carnival etc - enjoyed all of it.

Jamaican hospitality rocks! They really go out of your way to make your vacation special.

So if you're the type of person - who's looking for a relaxing vacation, beautiful resort and laid back - this is the place for you.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
16 Thank mclapham

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,119)
Pickering
Reviewed 14 January 2007

Absolutely incredible...We were a group of 36 for my wedding on November 22nd. The weather was only okay, but the rest was amazing. Too many reviews to read so point form
Food: Incredible (and we've been to a lot of resorts)
Drinks: Excellent (they don't hold back and lots of selection)
Rooms: Good (all very similar- most of our guests had a standard room and we had a honeymoon suite, the only diffence was we had the 4th floor and a stocked bar)
Villages:
Italian-close to everything and nice massive hot tub
Dutch-quiet with a relaxed atmosphere
French- party pool (volleyball etc-food and drinks good but slow)
Evening Entertainment: Average (disco is quiet after the show)

OUR WEDDING: Thank-you so much Ta-Marsha (our wedding co-ordinator), you were like a fairy god mother making it all happen and doing everything in your power to meet all our requests. The flowers are expensive, but worth it for the upgrade. The cake DELICIOUS...The steel drum band worth the money. The reception worth the money. The dinner was a must if you are in a large group. For anyone who has any questions you can contact me at rebeccsgriffin@yahoo.ca and I will gladly fill you in. Sandals is the way to go--they will do it up right... The ceremony was very nice and about 20 mins long.. We will go again to this resort and I give it to thumbs up. Becky (the bride)

• Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
8 Thank boo3
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 13 January 2007

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica one week prior to Christmas. We had never stayed at a Sandals or even an all-inclusive. However, we booked Sandals while looking at places to stay in Montego Bay because of their "no children" policy. My husband and I are in our mid-thirties and we do not have any children. We are horrified by the behavior of children at resorts, and so we were really looking for a place that did not have any kids. Having also never stayed at a resort that was all-inclusive, we were not expecting much. We figured the food would be mediocre and that it was going to be a so-so trip.

However, much to our delight, the resort was absolutely fabulous. The food was great - we liked Bayside the most because of the selection. (Have dessert at Bayside because it is better than the pastry shop.) And the water activities were plentiful. Plus there was entertainment every night. The staff was friendly - we did not experience any "Jamaica time" in terms of service. And there was no saving of beach chairs at all.

The ride to and from the resort did take over an hour each way, but it was worth it because we like the remoteness. Another minor negative was the bugs - we were bitten many times and had huge welts all over our bodies. As a side note which has nothing to do with the hotel, Air Jamaica lost our luggage. We were not able to get our luggage until 24 hours later - our first day at Sandals was ruined because of Air Jamaica. (Do not fly Air Jamaica - all of their flights were delayed too.)

We have stayed at many beach resorts including Hawaii, Tahiti, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Seychelles. Sandals was such a surprise - and great value! However, do not expect luxurious accommodations. For a newer property, the rooms were really in need of renovation already, especially the bathroom. No white down comforters here!

All in all, it was a great value trip with nice surprises in terms of food and service. (Hi Anthony and Ewert! Ask these bartenders for their special drinks...yummy.)

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — room
10 Thank Trinkettes
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 January 2007

I'm a travel agent and stay at many different accomodations and different countries. This was my first stay at a Sandals, although I have visited the Sandals Montego Bay and Sandals Royal Caribbean (both resorts were actually located in Montego Bay, unlike the Whitehouse).

My stay was from December 2, 2006 for 7 nights. Yes, I did pay out of my pocket for this stay (although at a reduced rate as an agent) but this resort stood out from other resorts I have stayed at in this past 30 years.

The airport at Montego Bay is uncomfortable - although I noticed the renovations from my previous visit 4 years earlier. The air-conditioning is poor/warm, the wait in the lines to go through customs is too long, but Jamaica is making some strides in upgrading their airport. In otherwords, I've seen alot worse. I loved the ride to the resort, although it's an hour and a half. Sit in the front of the van/bus and ask the driver about the surrounding countryside and maybe you'll learn about the real Jamaica. It's a beautiful country, albeit not up to the US standards in the countryside, i.e., some poverty.

My take on the resort:

Rooms - any room at this resort is fine. Every room is on the ocean, unlike most resorts. You look out your window, or go out on the balcony and you face straight out to the ocean. Yes, some of the rooms have a "better" view; those being on the corners of the buildings, with a larger balcony. Yes, some of the more expensive room categories that you pay for include liquor in your mini-bar or have a jacuzzi in the room. The far more expensive room categories are actually suites, some with butler service. Would I sell this? Yep, if the client wanted it. I saw some of the butlers at work, and would like mine to go to the front of the line in a restaurant to obtain my table, or bring me room service and set it up in my room. I didn't have room service nor concierge service, I had to walk to get my breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, but after eating all the wonderful food I was thankful I had some exercise. The Italian Village was nearest village to most of the restaurants, so therefore if the Sandals Whitehouse can meet your request, I would ask for accomodations there if I had problems walking any distance. (The Italian Village had no pool in front of it though, only a hot tub - but was close to the main, large pool). Bathrooms were handicapp acessible, although I would of liked to have seen a grab bar by the toilets in some rooms (maybe there was, I didn't inquire). The walls were thick enough with no noise from other rooms. Good reception for satellite TV and yes, my cell phone worked better down here than in Cancun or Cabo. (Because, Jamaica's infrastructure is set up for cell phone service in the countryside, you'll see all the service staff carrying cell phones to call their Jamaican homes). Take your walking shoes for this resort, it's spread out, even a walk to the nearest elevator from some rooms.

Food and Drink - that is where this all-inclusive resort stood out! I'd say 90% of all my meals were outstanding and I'm from a great "foodie" city of Chicago. Bravo to Sandals for offering real Jamaican dishes, they were very good and not just the typical jerk chicken or jerk pork. Sushi anyone, especially in Jamaica? You can eat all you want in the Asian restaurant here, and it's pristine, although there's not much variety to choose from. The steaks in various restaurants were prime, not the tough meat you get in Mexico. Lobster tails were even darn good, much better than on cruise lines. Anyone who complains about the food here is not adventurous or ran into the 10% choices I made that were just not to my liking. Save your appetite for late nite buffets, yummy seafood and chocolate buffets if you stay the whole week. I don't drink, but my husband was quite pleased with the rum (Appleton) at the bars, good mixed drinks especially tropical ones (bananas were in short supply for the tropical drinks though) and if you like a good Cosmopolitan or Greygoose Vodka martini, go to Casablanca at nite. Oh, the smoothies at breakfast are yummy too. Beer lovers might be disappointed though, Red Stripe is the commonly served beer here.

Service - almost 100% again on this, most all of the employees were friendly, and helpful. Considering Sandals was one of the largest employers in the countryside (unless you want to be a fisherman), many of the service staff did an outstanding job. You wish you could tip some of the staff, but that's a no-no, except for exceptions like the butlers. Don't expect the staff to move swiftly, you're on vacation at this Sandals (or think "Jamaican time" no problem). Housekeeping was somewhat sloppy, I noticed leftover kleenix and papers from previous guests under my bed; and the screens leading to the balcony take a beating from guest, with holes in them. But eventually maintenance will get to your room if you ask them to replace your screen.

Entertainment - good. Here's where I thought Sandals can do a better job - once again their venue for viewing the entertainment is not large enough (more seats needed), nor is it very classy. I did notice upstairs seating, but didn't check it out. That said, Sandals would you please spend some more money on your entertainment areas. The entertainers from outside were good, their entertainment staff did a good job. Don't miss the singers they bring in, they're very good. Audience participation nites were always fun; the Jamaican cultural dancers were just OK.

Activities - get up early, walk the long beach, sign up for the games, or just reserve a seat early at the large pool. Don't worry, you'll eventually find seating or a float for the main pool. Or try the "quiet" smaller pool at the Dutch Village or the busier French Village pool next door that has the Jamaican restaurant for lunch and a swimup bar too. Snorkeling is almost non-existant, as the reef has been "trashed" by over fishing/dynamite fishing/hurricanes. Water skiing is available! Didn't go on any tours/excursions off the property. Try the spa, very nice facility, not for free though.

Setting - the ocean is fairly clear, don't expect crystal clear water like south of Cancun or the Bahamas for example. It seems as if the sand on the beach was shipped in, as it seemed finer, softer and whiter than the normal Jamaican sand I saw in Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. The grounds are well manicured with fountains and bridges in some spots, and bare patches in the lawn in other parts. Mountains are beautiful and lush, as are most of the grounds at Sandals. Very tropical at nite, with the tree frogs. Bugs were not bothersome when I was there, just bring some Deep Woods to spray before dusk if you're watching the beautiful sunsets.

Sorry, for the long review. My husband and I celebrated a wonderful 22nd wedding anniversay while here. I have been to the Palace resorts for adults only in Mexico. I have been to the Virgin Islands, Martinique for my honeymoon. There are prettier tropical settings than where the Whitehouse is located, but for an all-inclusive resort with an oceanside room and good food, I would recommend this to most people. In summation, it's relaxing, and worth the price!

• Liked — Full oceanview, food and drink, service
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring a cheap float to use in the ocean and good walking shoes
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
32 Thank Travelagent
Texas
Reviewed 8 January 2007

This review is a little overdue, but I have two important things to share. I would like to preface the two drawback by saying this: our honeymoon was amazing in every way. The resort is perfect for almost everyone. Food is good, beach is pretty. The resort and the room itself were gorgeous. Jamaica has much to offer: cliff diving, waterfalls, river rafting etc...

Drawback number one: if you are a scuba diver, Jamaica is not the place to go. Not much marine life and most coral is dead and lacking color.

Drawback number two: This resort is far far away from most others and does not participate in the stay at one play at the others program that Sandals advertises. Sandals should make this clear at time of booking. Do not pay for the dolphin encounters or other activities that are available on other parts of Jamaica unless you want to spend a huge amount of money to get there. We made this mistake only to find out how expensive it would be to get to other parts of the island. We thought we could get there using the resorts busses to other sandals resorts. After a long battle with the help of our credit card company we got our money back from Dolphin Cove.

I hope the mention of these two drawbacks helps those who they might affect.

• Liked — Beautiful Grounds and Architecture
  • Disliked — Distance from other activities
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
10 Thank TexasPaula
Itasca, Illinois
Reviewed 7 January 2007

My husband and I stayed at SDR from 11-17-06 to 11-24-06 then spent the following week 11-24-06 to 12-1-06 at SWH. We were at SGOR 10 years ago, so this was our second visit to Jamaica and Sandals.

We split the 2 weeks at 2 different resorts. We were transferred by
private taxi which was a 3 1/2 hour ride. A hellacious ride. We wont do that again!

We arrive at Sandals Whitehouse--
It's beautiful, but HUGE. We did receive an upgrade there as well to a
luxury room in the Dutch building. We followed the bellman for a long
almost 10 minute walk to the Dutch building. We had a nice room, ok view, until we went into the bathroom. The bathroom grout in the shower was covered in mold and mildew. I mean covered. This was not a minor oversight in cleaning, this was a growth problem. We called the front desk and explained the problem. We were assured that housekeeping would be up to take care of this immediately. They did not come for hours. We left and went to dinner, unshowered (which we were not happy about). When we returned, we called again and was told that it was cleaned!. No way.. We asked for as manger and was then told we could be moved to another room but not until tomorrow. We reluctantly stayed in that room till the next day. We called in the morning and was told to pack up and they will move us by 1:00pm! It was 4:00 before we were moved 3 doors down. We began to unpack and when we opened the closet door there was water dripping from the ceiling. Another call to the manager and maintenance arrived shortly. They did seem to correct the problem which we were told was associated with the air conditioning system. It was a clean room, but much to my disappointment they put another couple in the mold room within hours. We did not expect this from Sandals. This is a new resort and if the housekeeping was up to par on a regular basis that would not have happened. We were very disheartened by this experience from Sandals. Whitehouse is very pretty but not consistent. The food was good at
Bayside again, and at Arizona. The italian restaurant was fair, and the pizza was partially raw. The pastry shop was excellent and the martini bar had great drinks and service, but who decided to put the martini bar at the top of 2 flights of stairs was not thinking clearly. Most of the staff was very nice, particularly the ladies at the Bayside in the morning. Such nice women with great smiles. The pools were nice and the beach was beautiful. The Dutch pool bar was terrible though. Lousy drinks.
Actually except for the martini bar, I never got the same drink made
twice the same way. Most bartenders were inconsistent and not very
friendly. We were aware of the sand flies so we did bring off and had no bites.

We wont say it was a bad time at the Whitehouse but after being at
Dunns River it was a little let down. The tours were great though. We did the Canopy tour (which my husband still cant believe I did), the YS Falls and The Black River Safari. If you do the Canopy tour and are
thinking of doing the river tubing, they are at the same place so book them together and you will save a lot of driving time and not lose another day.
Again the Whitehouse is huge and there is a lot of walking involved to
everything. If you want to be as close as you can ask for the Italian
building. It's still a little walk though.

Oh, before I forget, we did take a shuttle over to Sandals Grande Ocho
Rios when we were at Dunns to see how it has changed in 10 years. We
were surprised how large it had become as well. We did have dinner there at the italian restaurant and had to go back to SDR to eat again.
Portions were so small it was like an appetizer. We are not looking for mounding plates but a 1 bite appetizer is ridiculous. It still lays out like a garden and the beach bar was still very nice and friendly, but Dunns River has it all.

Overall, we still love Jamaica, it's people and yes, even Sandals, but
when we go back it will be Sandals Dunn's River for a guaranteed great
time, rain or shine....Thanks again.

Hope this helps, and have a great time.

• Liked — The beautiful grounds
  • Disliked — The mold in the bathroom and lack of consistency
  • Tips/Secrets — There is a lot of walking at this resort, other Sandals are easier to navigate
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
9 Thank kskorpio
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 7 January 2007

My husband and I spent our 7th anniversary at Sandals Whitehouse in December 2005 and loved the resort so much, we chose to return last month. Last year, the beaches were gorgeous and well manicured except for a small yellow fish that would bite us every time we went swimming. This year, not only were the yellow fish still there, but there was so much seaweed that there were also jelly fish and star fish! So, we never really felt comfortable swimming in the ocean. The resort is really nice- very upscale. There are beautiful swimming pools, but we'd come to swim in the ocean.

The grounds are beautiful. We loved our room with a view of the water, and the setting really is paradise. The room was well maintained. The US television stations only worked intermittently, but we didn't come to watch tv anyway. We were determined not to let the problem with the beach keep us from having a great time.

We did feel the quality of the food and service in the restaurants had gone down, though, which was disappointing. In 2005, the New Year's celebration was great! Fabulous outdoor buffet around the pool and 3 different bands by the pool for entertainment. All the dinner tables were surrounding the pool, so we could enjoy the entertainment. This year, the qualify of the food on the buffet was reduced dramatically, and there was only one entertainer, who was located far away from the food, in a plaza where there were no tables, so that people just stood around or just went to bed. It was so disappointing!

My last comment is that although the staff is normally accommodating, we encountered several members of the restaurant staff who were downright rude to us! Last year, it took forever to get your food at the restaurants. This year was a little better. But at this all-inclusive resort, where all the food and alcohol is included in your fee, we sometimes would order a third entree for dinner,so that we could try new things. The reaction was always negative. We weren't being pigs, but one night, our group of 6 ordered 10 appetizers (they were small) at the Chinese restaurant, and the waitress muttered under her breath, "Jesus!" when we did that. We were really embarrassed at her reaction. Another day, we decided to step into the buffet for a late lunch, and the woman rudely told us the buffet was now closed, without letting us know where we could go for a snack. The staff in the restaurants was downright perturbed when I asked for straws for my iced tea, or when I asked for more sweetener for my tea. There was no reason for their negative reaction to my requests for service. Last thing, the quality of the wine this year was dramatically lower. Last year, there was a selection of South American and European wines in the different restaurants, which was nice. This year, there was only one brand available, a California label which I consider "grocery store" quality, and they had no cabernet while we were there, only merlot.

Of course we had a wonderful time. But we won't be going back to Sandals Whitehouse next year.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — quality of food in restaurants
  • Tips/Secrets — be careful swimming in the ocean
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!