“Just Go!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
MASSACHUSETTS
“Just Go!”
Reviewed 21 January 2007

If you are even thinking about going to this resort, stop thinking, and just go! You will not find a nicer all-inclusive in all of the Caribbean/Mexico. And if you are considering lesser-priced resorts. Let me tell you: Sandals Whitehouse is worth every penny that it will cost you. I am a travel professional and I have traveled extensively through the Caribbean and Mexico. I promise you: You will not do better. You can read the rest of my review if you like, but that's it in a nutshell. Go. Just go.

As to the negatives I've read on other reviews:

BUGS: A NON ISSUE. I promise you that you have more bugs in your yard in the summer than you will have here. We had a brief afternoon shower almost every day we were there, yet the bugs were not bothersome. Bring some insect repellant with at least 30% deet (for adult use only). I would recommend this for travel anywhere in the tropics.

RIDE: Pleasant and scenic, but yes, it can be scary. Our driver on the way over was a maniac. I prayed the whole way. Our driver on the way back was cautious and I was comfortable.

LONG WALKS: A NON ISSUE. If you have any health issues that will limit your ability to walk, make sure this is noted when you book and request the Italian Village. If you are in the Dutch Village, you will have no more than a five minute walk to dinner. I would prefer Italian or Dutch. But even the French Village is a ten minute walk to the resort center. But even there, the beach and pool are at your doorstep.

HIGHLIGHTS:

BEACH- First of all, it's HUGE! The resort was pretty full when we were there, but still we could stroll out at any time of day and get a nice chair in the shade or sun, in the quiet or near the activities. No getting up at 6 AM as I usually do on vacation just to get a good beach spot!

Rather than purchasing a small track of beach and building back from it, Sandal's has built all along a very long beach. Every room has a balcony and an oceanview. White sand. Clear and calm water. Plenty of shade. Plenty of sun. Plenty of space. I have not seen a larger, longer, more private beach at any resort anywhere.

POOLS- Whether you want a quiet pool or an active one, you pool people wont be dissapointed either.

SERVICE- Consistantly outstanding. Great attention to detail combined with genuine Jamaican charm and hospitality. The best service we've received anywhere. And the nicest, most beautiful, charming, gracious staff.

FOOD - Great. As to those who have said that all the food wasn't great: Well, being on vacation in a different country, I tried a few things I don't normally eat at home. Some of them I loved. Some I wouldn't order again. All the food we had was wonderfully prepared and served. Personal taste is going to dictate that you will not love everything you eat.

You do not make reservations for the restaurants. Just go where and when you want. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, but took all of our lunches and dinners ala carte. (There is ala carte breakfast, too, if you want it.) Eleanor's was the fanciest "white glove" restaurant. We loved it the most so we ate there three times in the week. If you are new to all-inclusives, usually you need to make dinner reservations and you are limited to how many times you can dine in the fancier restaurants.

LOCATION - Beautiful, quiet, unspoiled.

SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE, almost: I would recommend this resort to absolutely any couple of any age. We met couples in their twenties as well as senior couples who were enjoying themsevles. A very mixed-age crowd. If all you want is quiet, relaxation, and maybe a little romance, you will find it. There were also pool games and swim-up bars for those who want a little more action. There was plenty of evening entertainment. The drinks are good and stong and plentiful. But for anyone who really wants to party hearty, you may be a little bored. Although the elements are there for you to party with (drinks, entertainment), the clientelle at this resort seems to be on the quiet side. There wasn't a whole lot of partying going on. This was great for us, but I know some people like to get a little bit crazy on vacation. You could do it at Whitehouse, but you might be doing it alone.

Ok, I guess I've rambled enough. I'll go back to what I said in the first place: Stop thinking. Just go.

• Liked — Quiet, uncrowded, private beach.
4 Thank BEACHWOMAN22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,092)
Jackson, NJ
Reviewed 18 January 2007

We stayed at Whitehouse from 1/11-1/16/07
I will try and be helpful and brief...
Airjamaica: flight was 10 min late from Newark,NJ, but no problems, they served lunch we left at 2:10pm thurs..
Shuttle bus to whitehouse: HORRID RIDE FROM HECK.
it was rush hour traffic, dark outside, bumpy, swervy, bus driver was silent, no music, no rest stops, i felt like i was on the BQE with all the traffic..
Check in: 8-8:30ish, cold towel and champagne was given out, the care package was cool, in a clear plastic bag with 4oz containers of aloe,shampoo, conditioner & lotion. We booked a luxury room and we were return guests so we were upgraded to penthouse concierge suite, 4th flr dutch side. we requested dutch side as we were staying with 3 other couples.. so yea for us !
Room was big, clean, nice, but i would not have booked that room w/ out the upgrade. we got complimentary robes to "use" for our stay, stocked bar and fridge and lovely little balcony.
As i have read so so many reviews, i was prepared for both worsat and best things. Romm had no bugs, was not musty, clean. bed was comfy.
--- the people who work there are super friendly and always smiling, grounds are very clean, very well maintained.---
first night we were starving so we went to bayside for dinner around 9pm, service was super slow, food was good, drinks were ok, lobster bisque was not so good, ive had better in pt. pleasant beach restaurants...
-- breakfast every day we went to bayside for the buffet, except our last day we went to ealeanors, both had good food and selections.. i really liked the smoothies and bayside and the omlet station..---
pools were always clean and there wre always chairs both at the pool and beach.. some people were topless, but ya go with the flow, your in jamaica, even though they really looked like they needed to put a top on..there is not much of a party type atmosphere at this resort, there were mostly folks in there later years as oppsed to young kids, we were 4 couples just turing 40, but we still have fun and found the nightlife very boring, you have to make your own fun there. the disco was lame, no one really in there, and there is 2 loops they play, hard core reggae or lame 70's dance stuff, and the piano bar was just as lame, sorry.. ;[
---restaurants, we tried all of them and our group of people voted dinner at guissepes the best, then eleanors, jasmins was dissapointing if your used to going to nice japanese or chinese rstaurants... try the bammies, and the jamaican beef pattys they are both good.. the bartenders are great, they do good drinks but some you had to ask for extra alcohol, we drank dirty banannas, miami vices, hummingbirds, martinis, beer, and pina colodas..the game players are few and far between, but see if you can find Q, he is awesome, to play volleyball...
ASK FOR HEADLEY in the photo dept to take your pics at sunset, we absolutely love our photos, he is really good...we played pool, tennis, chess, jogged on the beach, hobie cat, snorkeling, and took yoga class.. those who did the snorkeling were dissapointed they did not see much out there...
be careful 2 of my friends got bit by jelly fish by the piazza pool side of beach where all the water sports are, but it was 4-5 pm so maybe they come out at dusk..only time i got bit by sand fleas was at sunset taking pictures lying on the sand...
the cafe de paris was Awesome!!!! i had a frozen cappacino ( asked to blend it for me), chocolate covered strawberries were yummy.... all pastries and coffees were awesome...
our room was always cleaned, restocked and turn down service
was hoping for a mint or chocolate on the pillow, but just a card with a love quote on it..no biggie
bad things: bus ride, they had a computer crash in the photo shop lost some of my pics, they took my info to email me if they recover them, check out was bad, ill explain, rained 2 days in a row, but not for long, but one day it downpoured as we were eating lunch outside, not fun..
check out was bad... we left on tues 1/16 our flight was 850 am, they wanted us to have bags by door at 430am and leave at 5am, we said no way, we signed a waiver and left at 6am, we had more than enuf time once we got to the airport.. but we asked for a wake up call 2x and never got it, no one came to pick up bags (2 couples on dutch side we were), and we ordered room service since nothing was open that early, neither room got it, we put out the card by 12 midnight and we also called. i neede coffe for that horrid bus ride, this driver was friendly however and informative about jamaica and its culture, he made it less of a pain.. overall we were in the carribean with friends on vacation so we were happy, any questions feel free to ask...

Stayed January 2007
23 Thank brandysmom1214
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 January 2007

My fiance and I had an amazing time at Sandals Whitehouse. We are in our 30s and were looking for pure relaxation. We got it and then some.

Getting there: We took Air Jamaica from Philadelphia. No problems. No delays. Great trip. We arrived at 1:00pm. In and out of customs and immigration by 1:20pm. Got to the Sandals Lounge and waited about 10 mins for the bus to the resort. 5/5

The 1 1/2 hour ride: Ok. So, it wasnt so bad. We were the only ones in the van so that was nice. Malcom was our driver and he was excellent. The way there I didn"t feel sick at all. It reminded me of a NYC cab ride to be honest. If you have ever been in one of those you are well prepared. My fiance did feel a little queasy towards the end. The way back to the airport we had just eaten and had a few drinks so that wasn't so fun. I had to take a Dramamine. Here's the thing. If you get motion sickness from time to time, take the dramamine. If not, you should be fine. The ride is not so bad and it is WELL worth it. 3/5

Check In: We were greeted with champagne and cold towels. We were early for check in so we were the only people there. It was fast and efficient. As reported, we were first time guests at Sandals so we booked a Premium room and got upgraded to a Luxury, one category. 5/5

The Room: We were escorted to Room 2228 in the Dutch Village. It was a corner accomidation(I think all "Luxury" rooms are corners). It was clean and the bed was comfortable. I am a picky picky person when it comes to hotel rooms and this was completely satisfactory. Was it the best room ever? No. Was it close? Yes. There was some mold on the curtains. Not a huge amount but I would think that being in the caribbean it is bound to get a little moldy. It was really a tiny tiny amount. We had no problems whatsoever with the room. 4/5

The Resort: Good God. It was beautiful. Did it look like a European village? Heck no, it's Jamaica, Mon! Rolling hills on one side, clear blue water on the other. Beautiful. No vendors on the beach at all. The pools were well maintained and there were plenty of floaties and towels for everyone. We spent most of our time at the Dutch pool which was practically empty. We floated around and laid out. If you want to just relax, the Dutch pool is the best option. The French pool was mostly younger people and they were playing volleyball come afternoon. The main pool was too crowded for me. The beaches were immaculate and you could always find somewhere to lay out away from other people. 5/5

The Restaurants: We ate at each restaurant and only had a wait the last night we were there. We waited 15 minutes for Jasmines. We just sat around and had a drink, no problem, mon! We liked Jasmines and Guiseppes the best. Of course it may have been that we got the whole all-inclusive thing down by the time we ate there. We ordered a whole bunch of things so we could have a taste of a lot of different apps and entrees. I would suggest doing this as you are more likely to find something you really like. The food was good. Not top notch but it was decent. I would suggest going to Eleanors for breakfast. Bayside has a buffet for breakfast but at Eleanors they have the same things and you don't have to go get it(we were really lazy). Plus the Eggs Benedict at Eleanors was to die for. We also loved Cafe de Paris for desserts and snacktime! We didn't really like the food at Bluefield's but Arizona's was passable. 4/5

The Service: I had only had one problem with the service. They did forget to bring drinks sometimes at the restaurants but I didn't really care. I would just go to the bar after we ate if I really wanted it badly. That was our only problem, service wise. Everyone was pleasant and accomidating. 4/5

We really had a great time. We were looking for a lazy relaxing vacation so we didn't get to go on any excursions or try any of the watersports(next time!). We just moved across the country from CA to PA so we were exhusted and this trip was really what we needed. If you are looking for excitement and a constant party, my advice is to skip Whitehouse. The entertainment is very low key for the most part. All in all, Sandals Whitehouse was better than I could have imagined and would definately go there again in a heartbeat. So go go go!

I also want to say don't buy ANY alcohol to bring home at the resort. There is duty free in the airport on the way out! So much cheaper. AND while at the resort, do try these drinks: appleton rum and cokes, the Hummingbird, and the Dirty Banana. You will not be disappointed!

• Liked — The privacy and the views!
  • Disliked — The ride to and from the resort
20 Thank Plunkybrewster
Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 January 2007

We visited Sandals Whitehouse from Dec 16-23, 2006. This was our second Sandals vacation – the first was to the Royal Bahamian. This is going to be a long review, but hopefully it’ll be useful to someone here.

Transportation
Overall, our experience traveling to and from the resort was ok…at times a bit on the rough side. Customs took a long time (about 1.5 hours) in rooms that weren’t air conditioned. This won’t factor into my rating of Sandals, however, since it’s not their fault at all. Once we were through customs we made our way to the Sandals lounge which was quite busy. They were in the process of changing the Red Stripe keg over, so no beer for us. Not a big deal since there was plenty of soda. After passing our bags off to the staff, getting a drink, a quick bathroom break and changing into some shorts our wait was less than 5 minutes. We were led outside and packed onto the bus. This process took less than 10 minutes and then we were on our way to the resort. The roads are sometimes rough and quite narrow in the mountains and the Jamaican drivers are INSANE, but our driver was very professional and on top of his game. There was a big rain storm during our trek through the mountains which left many roads flooded due to the lack of a drainage system; at times the flooding was nearly 2 feet deep! Because of the flooding the trip was a little longer than usual, but still only took 1 hour and 40 minutes. Upon arrival we were given cool towels (no champagne), forms to fill out and were then taken to our rooms.

Rooms
We were “upgraded” to the second floor of the Italian village. Personally I’d prefer to keep the cheap room and have a first floor room so that I could have a patio that opened to the beach, but I guess most people don’t want that so it’s considered an upgrade to be moved up to the higher floors. The rooms are pretty standard and in very good shape. All Whitehouse rooms have an ocean view which is fabulous…the first floor of our building was less than 10 feet from the sand! Standard Sandals décor with a king size bed, nice clean bathroom, couch sitting area, fridge stocked with soda, water and juice daily, tv, coffee maker, iron and hairdryer. Every room has an umbrella at Sandals resorts, but ours was missing. When it finally rained we called the front desk and they said they’d bring one up. This took a few hours but it did eventually arrive. This was the first indication that service would be a little slow here. Anyways, the cleaning staff was good – the room was cleaned daily, however a coupe times they did take our dirty towels but forgot to leave new ones. With a quick phone call this was taken care of. At night they have a turn down service and towel replacement. Two of the 7 nights that we were there the staff came about 6pm which is an inconvenience given that most people are showering and preparing for dinner at this time. Overall, we experienced good, clean rooms of a good size with a nice porch and gorgeous view. This is plenty for us – we’re in Jamaica, not Alaska…we didn’t need to spend too much time indoors.

Facilities/grounds
The grounds are gorgeous and well maintained with beautiful, lush gardens. They have good facilities (4 tennis courts, 2 squash courts, nice gym, ½ court basketball, shuffleboard, pool tables.) The equipment wasn’t so easy to come by, though. At Royal Bahamian the tennis racquets and balls were always out and there were plenty to go around. At Whitehouse the squash, basketball and tennis equipment needed to be signed out during the entertainment office’s normal hours of ~8am – 5pm. You could keep the gear overnight if you signed it out at the end of the day. Unfortunately people didn’t always follow the guidelines and would keep the gear for days on end, for a few days straight there was no squash equipment available. This would be ok if the courts were being used, however they weren’t…the gear was just sitting in someone’s room being wasted. Eventually we got what we needed and really enjoyed ourselves. The gear is good, high quality stuff, all in good shape.

Beach
The beach is HUGE and very clean. Yes, there are sand fleas and they do spray the resort, however it doesn’t completely take care of the bugs. I was bitten a few times but once I started wearing my OFF I no longer had a problem. There are far more chairs than would ever be used by the maximum capacity of the resort. The water was warm and clear of seaweed, etc. for the most part. They do advertise a water trampoline but it wasn’t in use during our stay. They do have one but it was fully inflated on land just sitting behind the scuba shop. I never found out why, though. The equipment was all nice, the Mastercraft ski boat was in great shape but the drivers were not awesome. They were safe and competent but not good at towing. Slaloming was difficult as they would slow way down on turns. The skis are all in good shape as was the knee board, but the wakeboard was a little beaten up. Sailing…we were really looking forward to this as we spend a lot of time at the Royal Bahamian on the Hobie Cats. The first few days there was little to no wind. The last few days there was lots of if but the staff said that it was too windy for the Cats. In the Bahamas we sailed the same model (the Hobie Cat Resort Model) in much rougher waters. Beyond this, my husband raced when he was in school and is a very competent sailor. I guess this is all understandable, though, since it is a liability and resort would rather play it a little on the safe side. We finally sailed on our last morning there.

Diving:
The diving in the Bahamas was amazing and we expected the same here. Unfortunately, the reefs just off shore (where they take you snorkeling) are mostly dead. There are some fish, just not nearly as many as in the Bahamas. The SCUBA was definitely better, but still not as good as even just the snorkeling in the Bahamas. We did see a sting ray, lots of little fish, lobsters, star fish, jellyfish and a bunch of other types, just not in the huge quantities that we saw in the Bahamas. The dive staff was great, they were both helpful and fun.

Pools
There are 3 large pools with 2 pool bars and 3 or 4 hot tubs. The pools are very clean and large with plenty of floats. The pool bars had decent service (sometimes great service) and served up great frozen drinks. The hot tub temperature gradually rose during the week to the point where it became almost unbearable. They were very useful when it rained since the rain was quite cool as it came in from over the mountains. This makes the regular pool a bit uncomfortable, so when it rained everyone would rush to the bar to stock up on drinks and then make their way over to the hot tubs. Overall, the pools were clean, large, a good temperature and fun. People spend much more time in the pool than in the ocean.

Drinks
The bars were certainly plentiful. There are 6 bars: 2 swim-up bars, 2 open-air bars, 1 indoor piano bar and then a portable bar outside the pastry shop at night. I didn’t get a decent margarita at any of the bars, which was disappointing as the Royal Bahamian had awesome margaritas. They did make up for it with awesome specialty and frozen drinks. Red Stripe is decent – similar to a miller light type beer. The piano bar is their upscale bar with all the high end top shelf brands. Other bars have brand name alcohols (such as Absolut) but the piano bar had Grey Goose and similar brands. Great martinis here! The bartenders were all courteous; some were really enjoyable to spend time with.

This is one of the two major differences between the Royal Bahamian and the Whitehouse. The Bahamian had good food everywhere, but the Whitehouse often had truly great food. I’m not sure about all the food complaints…we aren’t cheap eaters, we like good food and were definitely taken care of at the Whitehouse. There was food available all day and night. If you’re hungry there’s definitely something available.
Bayside: Breakfrast – standard buffet that should have something for everyone. Dinner – We ate there 2x and I got the NY strip steak both times and was very happy both visits. The breads were absolutely amazing! They were moist, warm and there was a great variety brought to every table.
Eleanors: We both got the Filet Mignon which was the best Filet Mignon that I’ve ever had, the second best for my husband who eats at very high end restaurants with his work frequently.
Guissipes: Excellent breads, great minestrone soup, and the best chicken parmesan that we’ve ever eaten. The chicken was very tender and well cooked.
Asian restaurant: an OK meal. We had chicken and beef satay, pad thai and teriyaki. The meal tasted good, nothing spectacular though.
Signature Guest Dinner (Dinner for returning guests): Funny enough, this was the worst meal that we had all week. The service wasn’t very good – the waitress took our drink orders but never actually brought them. The food tasted like your average (or even maybe below average) wedding meal (chicken.) The only benefits to this meal were getting to interact with the managers, the t-shirts and the bottle of rum.
Beach BBQ: Huge selection including jerk chicken, pork, steak, corn on the cob, tons of side dishes and even more desserts. The staff was cutting coconuts open, adding rum to the coconut juice and serving them as a drink which was a great treat! This was an awesome night!

Tours:
We went on two tours – the horseback ride and the Y.S. Falls trip. The horseback ride was great, you ride through the hills and down to the ocean where you then ride around in the water for a while. The horses are a good combination of trained while still being a little bit on the fun side so that you can feel like you’re actually riding a horse and not a completely broken animal. The YS Falls trip was my favorite (the horseback riding was my husband’s favorite.) The falls are gorgeous and there’s a lot to them. There’s a rope swing which was a lot of fun, then the tour guide will take you around the falls and take pictures in various locations for you. We have waterproof cases for our camcorder and our camera, which was great since we never had to worry about the gear being wrecked, however if you don’t have a case they’ll take good care of them and make sure that your camera doesn’t get wrecked while they’re taking pictures of you.

Entertainment:
There were events every night, nothing amazing but all more than we’d expect at a resort. Steel drums, a few dance groups, a marching band…I’m sure there was more that we missed. In comparison to the Royal Bahamian, the night life at Whitehouse is MUCH better. There’s always something going on to keep you occupied. During the day the staff puts on all kinds of activities and games. They do a lot near the pool and will use their sound system to announce things and to encourage participation. Just like others have said in their reviews they will single people out and pressure them to take part. If you acknowledge them and say no thanks they’ll leave you alone. The people who are repeatedly pressured are the people who refuse to acknowledge the staff. If you ignore them they will continue to talk to you. They want you to have a good time…if you aren’t interested just let them know and they’ll move along.

Atmosphere:
There was a pretty large age spread at the resort when we were there, from early 20’s right through probably 50’s and maybe a few in their 60’s.
One of very few downsides to the resort was how empty it felt. At the Royal Bahamian it was at 100% capacity but never felt too crowded or too empty. There were always people hanging out but not so many that you felt crowded. Whitehouse was at about 70% when we were there, but it just felt empty much of the time. The resort is very long and spread out, so there’s lots of beach and a bunch of pools to spread out among. Sometimes we found ourselves wondering if we were in the wrong place or if we had missed some special event because there was nobody around.

All in all, the trip was excellent. Good food, good drinks lots of fun. So far we’ve had a great experience with Sandals Resorts. We’ve learned to expect good food, good drinks, clean resorts, friendly staff and slightly slow service (as seems to be normal in the Caribbean.) If you go expecting these things you should have a great trip. We’re in the process of planning our 3rd trip to a Sandals resort for this summer and are thinking that we’ll try either one of the St. Lucia resorts or Dunn’s River. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions at taryndenault (at) msn (dot) com.

• Liked — Food, huge beach, view from the rooms
  • Disliked — It felt empty sometimes
23 Thank tflagg
Reviewed 17 January 2007

If you want a truly relaxing vacation - a place that just transports you to a different world where you don't need to worry about anything - this is the place to come!

This was our second Sandals vacation. Given we were very pleased with our first trip, I thought my expectations may be too high - Not So. Do make it a point to request an upgrade: they're usually nice about that if they have availability.

Be ready to be a bit frustrated at the airport: total confusion, baggage all over the place. The Sandals lounge is ultra relaxing. Unfortunately, they hurried us into the bus, where we waited for another 45 mins. The ride was 1.5 hrs: and hilly. Didn't feel scared or anything. Just bear it: your true vacation begins later.

The resort has 3 areas (or "villages"): Italian, Dutch and French. All the action (main pool) and restaurants are closest to the Italian Village. The French Village is about 10 mins walk. The Dutch and French villages have their own pool (smaller than main) and beach. Depending on whether you like total privacy or want action: request the village where you want to stay. We stayed in the Dutch: never used the pool etc. The rooms were very large, and extremely comfortable, with a sofa, balcony and ocean view (we were upgraded though).

The main area is lovely. Very new architecture. We liked ALL the restaurant (Elenors was probably the best). The Bayside breakfast buffet was great. We tried all places for lunch, as the ambience was a little difference. I do recommend you get a feel for all places. The coffee at the Pastry shop was great - I felt the pastries themselves were just ok.

We were disappointed with the beach area. We later realized that the beach at the French Village is the best. At the main area, there were a ton of weeds. Also, I didn't fancy stepping on a star fish while in the water! This resort didn't have a ton of people lying at the beach. Not too much shade, and yes, sand flies are a problem. Take bug spray - and also use at night - even if you are not at the beach. Mosquitoes are an issue - not a huge issue - but better to be prepared. Also, snorkelling is quite lame.

There will be people taking your pictures that you can later buy. Warning that they are $10/piece for 5x7 print - so they are pricey. Keep that in mind before getting a ton of pictures taken (no obligation to buy). Sunsets at the resort are beautiful.

Activities were fun. They're kind of silly - so probably not for those who are expecting a very sophisticated - 4 seasons type environment. At night, they have entertainment - basically just fun. Sing-along-Piano bar, Street Carnival etc - enjoyed all of it.

Jamaican hospitality rocks! They really go out of your way to make your vacation special.

So if you're the type of person - who's looking for a relaxing vacation, beautiful resort and laid back - this is the place for you.

16 Thank mclapham
Pickering
Reviewed 14 January 2007

Absolutely incredible...We were a group of 36 for my wedding on November 22nd. The weather was only okay, but the rest was amazing. Too many reviews to read so point form
Food: Incredible (and we've been to a lot of resorts)
Drinks: Excellent (they don't hold back and lots of selection)
Rooms: Good (all very similar- most of our guests had a standard room and we had a honeymoon suite, the only diffence was we had the 4th floor and a stocked bar)
Villages:
Italian-close to everything and nice massive hot tub
Dutch-quiet with a relaxed atmosphere
French- party pool (volleyball etc-food and drinks good but slow)
Evening Entertainment: Average (disco is quiet after the show)

OUR WEDDING: Thank-you so much Ta-Marsha (our wedding co-ordinator), you were like a fairy god mother making it all happen and doing everything in your power to meet all our requests. The flowers are expensive, but worth it for the upgrade. The cake DELICIOUS...The steel drum band worth the money. The reception worth the money. The dinner was a must if you are in a large group. For anyone who has any questions you can contact me at rebeccsgriffin@yahoo.ca and I will gladly fill you in. Sandals is the way to go--they will do it up right... The ceremony was very nice and about 20 mins long.. We will go again to this resort and I give it to thumbs up. Becky (the bride)

• Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
8 Thank boo3
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 13 January 2007

My husband and I stayed at Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica one week prior to Christmas. We had never stayed at a Sandals or even an all-inclusive. However, we booked Sandals while looking at places to stay in Montego Bay because of their "no children" policy. My husband and I are in our mid-thirties and we do not have any children. We are horrified by the behavior of children at resorts, and so we were really looking for a place that did not have any kids. Having also never stayed at a resort that was all-inclusive, we were not expecting much. We figured the food would be mediocre and that it was going to be a so-so trip.

However, much to our delight, the resort was absolutely fabulous. The food was great - we liked Bayside the most because of the selection. (Have dessert at Bayside because it is better than the pastry shop.) And the water activities were plentiful. Plus there was entertainment every night. The staff was friendly - we did not experience any "Jamaica time" in terms of service. And there was no saving of beach chairs at all.

The ride to and from the resort did take over an hour each way, but it was worth it because we like the remoteness. Another minor negative was the bugs - we were bitten many times and had huge welts all over our bodies. As a side note which has nothing to do with the hotel, Air Jamaica lost our luggage. We were not able to get our luggage until 24 hours later - our first day at Sandals was ruined because of Air Jamaica. (Do not fly Air Jamaica - all of their flights were delayed too.)

We have stayed at many beach resorts including Hawaii, Tahiti, Mexico, Puerto Rico and Seychelles. Sandals was such a surprise - and great value! However, do not expect luxurious accommodations. For a newer property, the rooms were really in need of renovation already, especially the bathroom. No white down comforters here!

All in all, it was a great value trip with nice surprises in terms of food and service. (Hi Anthony and Ewert! Ask these bartenders for their special drinks...yummy.)

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — room
10 Thank Trinkettes
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!