If you are even thinking about going to this resort, stop thinking, and just go! You will not find a nicer all-inclusive in all of the Caribbean/Mexico. And if you are considering lesser-priced resorts. Let me tell you: Sandals Whitehouse is worth every penny that it will cost you. I am a travel professional and I have traveled extensively through the Caribbean and Mexico. I promise you: You will not do better. You can read the rest of my review if you like, but that's it in a nutshell. Go. Just go.
As to the negatives I've read on other reviews:
BUGS: A NON ISSUE. I promise you that you have more bugs in your yard in the summer than you will have here. We had a brief afternoon shower almost every day we were there, yet the bugs were not bothersome. Bring some insect repellant with at least 30% deet (for adult use only). I would recommend this for travel anywhere in the tropics.
RIDE: Pleasant and scenic, but yes, it can be scary. Our driver on the way over was a maniac. I prayed the whole way. Our driver on the way back was cautious and I was comfortable.
LONG WALKS: A NON ISSUE. If you have any health issues that will limit your ability to walk, make sure this is noted when you book and request the Italian Village. If you are in the Dutch Village, you will have no more than a five minute walk to dinner. I would prefer Italian or Dutch. But even the French Village is a ten minute walk to the resort center. But even there, the beach and pool are at your doorstep.
BEACH- First of all, it's HUGE! The resort was pretty full when we were there, but still we could stroll out at any time of day and get a nice chair in the shade or sun, in the quiet or near the activities. No getting up at 6 AM as I usually do on vacation just to get a good beach spot!
Rather than purchasing a small track of beach and building back from it, Sandal's has built all along a very long beach. Every room has a balcony and an oceanview. White sand. Clear and calm water. Plenty of shade. Plenty of sun. Plenty of space. I have not seen a larger, longer, more private beach at any resort anywhere.
POOLS- Whether you want a quiet pool or an active one, you pool people wont be dissapointed either.
SERVICE- Consistantly outstanding. Great attention to detail combined with genuine Jamaican charm and hospitality. The best service we've received anywhere. And the nicest, most beautiful, charming, gracious staff.
FOOD - Great. As to those who have said that all the food wasn't great: Well, being on vacation in a different country, I tried a few things I don't normally eat at home. Some of them I loved. Some I wouldn't order again. All the food we had was wonderfully prepared and served. Personal taste is going to dictate that you will not love everything you eat.
You do not make reservations for the restaurants. Just go where and when you want. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet, but took all of our lunches and dinners ala carte. (There is ala carte breakfast, too, if you want it.) Eleanor's was the fanciest "white glove" restaurant. We loved it the most so we ate there three times in the week. If you are new to all-inclusives, usually you need to make dinner reservations and you are limited to how many times you can dine in the fancier restaurants.
LOCATION - Beautiful, quiet, unspoiled.
SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE, almost: I would recommend this resort to absolutely any couple of any age. We met couples in their twenties as well as senior couples who were enjoying themsevles. A very mixed-age crowd. If all you want is quiet, relaxation, and maybe a little romance, you will find it. There were also pool games and swim-up bars for those who want a little more action. There was plenty of evening entertainment. The drinks are good and stong and plentiful. But for anyone who really wants to party hearty, you may be a little bored. Although the elements are there for you to party with (drinks, entertainment), the clientelle at this resort seems to be on the quiet side. There wasn't a whole lot of partying going on. This was great for us, but I know some people like to get a little bit crazy on vacation. You could do it at Whitehouse, but you might be doing it alone.
Ok, I guess I've rambled enough. I'll go back to what I said in the first place: Stop thinking. Just go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Prestigia and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica