“Not our paradise...”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in White House
UK
“Not our paradise...”
Reviewed 25 February 2007

We stayed at SW for five days during a three week trip to Jamaica where we took in Sandals Royal Caribbean and also Grande Ocho Rios.
Sandals Whitehouse, you either love it or hate it. I hated the so called Mediteranean Village, looked much more like a Wimpy housing estate by the sea.
Sure, the beach is stunning.. thats a positive.
The Butlers were beyond atrocious. We felt we had a part time Butler service which was totally impersonal and absolutely nothing like the fantastic Butlers we experienced at Royal Caribbean.
We stayed in a Butler suite, it was "ok", nice room, but no character and for the money, would choose another sandals resort.
Staff at Arizonas were lovely, just a shame about the "Alfred Hitchcock" level of bird actvity. If you have a phobia about birds, do NOT go to this resort, I could not eat at all at the beachgrill and could only do so at Arizonas as the staff helped chase the birds away. People who are not frightened of birds will not understand this, but anyone who is WILL! I have stayed at loads of caribeban resorts, but the bird activity here is really bad.
The food was good, but still served cold at times.
Breakfast by the Butlers was hopeless.
Do NOT under any circumstances pre tip the Butlers..wait until the end of your vacation.. we were fooled easily!
Entertainment..pretty useless.. they have an ampitheatre style entertainment, they didnt have the romantic intimacy experienced at SRC where you have lovely musicians whilst you dine.
Too impersonal and fake for us. I am sure many love it, but wasnt our cup of tea..and THAT village..it sure does not look anything remotely like Holland, Italy or France!
Wont return to this one..
OH..and finally, it is a strong possibility our credit card details were stolen and copied from here so be warned... watch your credit card statements..do not let that card out of your sight when they take an imprint. Ours still under investigation but SW is one of the two only suspects!

• Liked — Nice sunbeds at the Butler level buildings
  • Disliked — The Butlers...worst experienced ever
7 Thank Sunscot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,119)
Detroit
Reviewed 15 February 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at Whitehouse, Jan 20th thru 27th and LOVED it !!!!!

We arrived late at night, so it was hard to see, but the next day as the sun rose, and we saw the grounds, it was like some sort of culture shock. We had been to Sandals Royal Carribean before (which we also loved) but this place was like something out of a fairy tale. From the immaculate grounds to the stunning mountains surrounding it. Trust me, the pictures do not do this place justice. You have to see it. And yes, it is a large spread out resort, but a stroll thru the beauty was well needed after a meal at one of the awesome restaurants.

In regards to the infamous drive to the resort everyone comments on: I actually thought it was quite fun. I dunno, maybe I'm crazy but I trusted that the driver knew what he was doing. His name was Roy, and he was great. He stopped and picked us up a few Red Stripes, so I loved sipping on that while viewing the "real Jamiaca". My boyfriend drives for a living though, and he was a bit white knuckled & holding his breath any time the driver got too close to another car. He thought the drive was un-nerving.

Food / Restaurants were for the most part - excellent. The only restaurant we didn't visit was Jasmine's. We both LOVED Eleanors, and Giuseppi's. Arizona's was good too. Bluefield Beach grill was so YUMMY , my boyfriend was especially smitten with a dish there called Reggae Wraps, and he had it 6 times while we were there & the staff was laughing at his infatuation with them by the end of the week. Bayside was the only OK meal we had. I had some kind of pasta dish that wasn't too bad, it just wasn't the awesome stuff like at the other places.

Be sure to make reservations for "Pirates of the Carribean Night". It is a pirate style dinner held on the beach near Arizona's - staff acts like pirates, and they serve all kinds of extremely tasty foods on skewers, .... at first I thought it was a kinda cheesy theme, but once I got into the spirit of it - it was a ton of fun.
The day after the Pirate buffet, we took the hobie cat out for a sail & could hear other people on hobie cats making pirate noises "ARRRR" LOL !

Oh, the chocolate buffet on Tuesday nights is unbelievable ! But, seeing as I am a chocoholic, I over did it, & paid for my penance with a stomach ache the next day. Oops! So be careful !!

Let me make this point pretty clear: we are in our 40's and not exactly party animals. (anymore) but we like a few casual cocktails & a bit of socializing/mixing/partying. And this place fits that bill perfectly. So if you are looking to party it up , this really isn't the place for you, it is more of a relaxing type vacation.

As is typical at Sandals, the staff and service was beyond superior. They go out of your way to try to meet your needs.

If I had to make one gripe about this place - it has NOTHING to do with Sandals and everything to do with some guests we observed. We observed some pompous, snobbish behavior. Some guests acted "above" the staff, and treated them with utter disrespect. Pretty low and un-necessary. Hopefully we just managed to be around some bad apples.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — leaving
35 Thank OwnedByRemy
Phila PA
Reviewed 14 February 2007

We went to SWH from Feb 7 to Feb 11, 2007, and our group consisted of 5 couples. The resort exceeded our expectations in every area, and it was one of the best vacations we ever had, everything is first class.

The vacation really begins as soon as you land in Jamaica, Sandals has people waiting for you at the airport, they take your baggage and send you into the Sandals Airport lounge where you have access to beer, soda, restrooms ect. The next time you see your bags is in your room at the resort. The drive from the airport to the resort was quite nice, about 90 minutes, but incredible scenery the entire ride.

When you arrive at Sandals the check in is smooth, quick and comfortable, no lines, no waiting. We had a great room on the 4th floor of the Dutch building, others in my group had the 1st floor in the French building, we all loved our rooms, great views and great locations.

The resort has 3 pools and all offer something unique. The French Pool is party pool, we ended up there every afternoon. It has volleyball, and a great swim-up bar. The bartenders are truly amazing, great people, great bartenders, truly entertaining throughout the day. The main pool is just beautiful, it the biggest of all the pools, and very relaxing we started every day at this pool. This pool also has a large swim up bar and is the location for all sort of games and of course the daily water aerobics. The Dutch pool is the quietest, again very relaxing and beautiful area. All of the pools have plenty of lounge chairs, floats, and towels, this is never a problem.

All of the bars are top notch, we never had to wait more than a minute or so for a drink. For beer drinkers they serve Red Strip and Red Strip Lite, both very good. Otherwise they serve almost every drink you can think of, additional each bar has it's own specialty, just ask. All the liquor is top shelf. We especially enjoyed the martini bar after dinner.

The food was good, plenty of restaurants to choose from for all meals. They have a great bakery that serves all kinds of pastries, bread, cookies, coffee, cappuccino, ice cream ect.

The day time activities are great, snorkeling, glass bottom boat ride, water skiing, catamarans, and even scuba diving (there is an extra cost for scuba diving). The night activities are ok, nothing great but always entertaining.

The resort is beautiful, it has all type of flowers, shrubs, and plants and the scenery is marvelous, mountains on one side and the ocean on the other.

The best thing about this resort is none of the above, although they're all outstanding, the best think about this place is the people who work there. The treatment you receive from them is top notch in all aspects. Very kind and friendly, every time you pass an employee they all greet you with a big smile and a hello. They really make you feel like your on vacation.

Overall our group of 10 really enjoyed this vacation, so much so that we all booked again for next year and I can't wait to get back.

• Liked — The beauty of the resort
  • Disliked — night activities
  • Stayed February 2007
31 Thank Jamaica-Five
wakaw
Reviewed 13 February 2007

Our 5th trip to jamaica and all at sndals resorts brought us to whitehouse for 14 nights of heaven in january 2007. we were booked at sandals inn mobay but as they were closed for renovations we were moved to whitehouse. and no disappointments there. the resort and staff are absolutely fantastic and so were the food and drinks!! we were upgraded to a beautiful room on the 4th floor of the french village with a view closest to the ocean of any room on the property. rooms are spacious and very clean and quiet. the pool boys are excellent hosts and looked after getting us a poolside spot each and every day. on our last day we were surprised to find a bottle of champagne on ice and 2 wine glaases on a table between our loungers and the chairs decorated with flower petals. this is typical sandals service and typical jamaican hospitality. that is why we keep going back. this is a great resort to just unwind and relax and enjoy. i went to the spa for a massage and that was spectacular. you must try the spa if you go here. if you are looking for a shopping holiday you might want to try one of the resorts at mobay as whitehouse is fairly isolated and not easily accessible to shopping. we will definitely be going back to jamaica and to a sandals resort soon!!!

Stayed January 2007
26 Thank biebs
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed 13 February 2007

This was our first trip to jamaica and we were quite impressed. The airport was in acceptable shape and the customs lines moved efficiently. The sandals lounge in the airport after you clear customs is a nice perk (hooray beer!) but you're only there for a few minutes so it doesn't really matter. The buses you board to take you to the resort and the ride there are the most brutal part of the trip but it only last 1.5 hours so it's tolerable.

Once you get the resort you immediately forget the ride because the facilities are amazing. A small thing I did notice was that the resort is relatively new and it looks like they are still try to get foliage to hide certain buildings and fences. Other than that small fact everything looks great. We had a second floor room in the dutch village which was very adequate. The room was well maintained and the nightly turn down service was a nice plus.

The food at the restaurants was very good and in my opinion the best part of this resort. I'm confused about the people who write that the food wasn't very good. There is a good variety at all the restaurants and it is always well presented. Make sure you try all the restaurants out. Jasmine's was our favorite.

The alcohol selection at the pool bar was adequate. All the bartenders don't know how to make the same drinks which is kind of annoying. Ask for their favorites are look at the person next to you and see what kind of frostee deliciousness they have. I recommend the hummingbird. The martini bar, casablanca, is the best place to go for drinks. They have pretty much anything you could want including grey goose.

The pools and hot tubs are well maintained. The main piazza pool and the french village pool are quite loud and rowdy but if you want quite the dutch village pool is nice. The watersports are a great value add to the resort. If you're thinking about getting scuba certified I highly recommend doing it there. Ask for Ricardo at the dive shop.

Overall the resort is very upscale and extremely well maintained. My wife and I are already planning on returning

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
19 Thank Petro026
IA
Reviewed 5 February 2007

Hello All,

We are just now recovering and getting back to reality from our WONDERFUL second visit to SWH from 1/19-1/26. I will try to address a number of topics and if you have any questions please ask away.

First of all I have to thank our TA Amy for providing such superb service. Having dealt with other TA's in the past I can tell you that Amy is the most attentive, helpful and diligent TA I have ever met. She answered all of our questions immediately and went above and beyond to make sure we were well taken care of. She went out of her way to talk to Jeremy Jones to make sure we got a super 4 category upgrade!!!! That's unheard of! We only booked a deluxe room and were greeted with a Penthouse Concierge Suite!! WOW!!! Even throughout the trip she emailed staff to make sure we were having a great time, and of course I had a message for me right away when I returned to make sure we had a great time. This level of service should be commended. I highly recommend Amy for any of your travel plans. She will go above and beyond to exceed your expectations. Please let me know if you would like her contact information.

Secondly, I have to thank Jeremy Jones and his staff. They are all excellent and do a wonderful job. JJ is a great guy and is very willing to talk and meet with his clients.

On to the review.

FLIGHT DOWN-
We took Air Jamaica from Chicago O'hare on Friday 1/19. Our Flight was at 6:40 and we had no problems at all. I really enjoy AJ and I think their service has gotten much better since our first trip with them last year. I love the first glass of champagne on the flight. It always helps to get me in the mood for Jamaica! Our flight arrived at 11:00 and again very smooth and easy. We got off the plane, went right through customs in 5 minutes and got our luggage with ease. At this point I really wanted a red stripe!

Sandals Lounge & Ride to SWH-
I love the Sandals Lounge! Long before we got there, we had help with our luggage, got our tags and were asked to take a seat. We took out our Bubba Kegs and were the envy of most of the lounge. I think I filled it twice at least.. 8) No sooner was I getting really comfortable when the driver announced SWH. We boarded the bus with about 5 other couples and off we were! We really enjoyed the ride. It was great to see the country again, Bubba Keg in hand. Our driver was great. I asked to stop to get another beer and chatted with our driver. He was so nice so I bought him a ginger beer. He seemed shocked, but it was the least I could do. Our total trip was about 1.5 hours.

Arrival and Check in-
Arrival is always great! We jumped off the bus and started to soak in the sun!!! We got the cool towel & champagne! The sign that you have arrived! Right away Barrington noticed us and ran over to talk to us. So nice to see familiar faces! He then told us that we had been upgraded from Deluxe to Penthouse Concierge!!! WOW!! Room 2425 in the Dutch Village. I miss that place. He personally walked us over and showed us how the place has changed! I noticed the foliage is grown in more and it is even more beautiful than last year! Also, there is the wedding gazebo on the Dutch beach as well in the gardens.

Room-
We were in the Dutch Village, 4th floor room 2425. BEAUTIFUL! I loved the balcony! This is a Penthouse Concierge Suite. It had a fully stocked bar. There was wine, champagne, Red Stripe & Light Gin, Vodka, Scotch and Rum of course! I also called and requested a bottle of Rum Cream. No problem Mon! We took advantage of the room service for breakfast. They were always prompt and on time.

Housekeeping-
Fantastic!!! Just perfect, always prompt and courteous. We seem to get this service around 930 ish which was great for us. Also, we got great turndown service every night

Beach-
One of the main reasons we chose SWH is the big beautiful beach! It is beautiful and long. The sand is great and it just doesn't ever seem crowded, even at full capacity. It is also very private. I love the fact that there is nothing else around you. The water was great. We did get stung by jellyfish one day, but it wasn't a very big deal. We didn't encounter any sand fleas at all. The French Beach did seem to be the busiest, a little busier than last year, but I am sure it is because of the French Pool. The Dutch and French were both very peaceful and serene with hardly a soul on them. The water was warm and for the most part very clear. It is just beautiful. The best beach and water I have ever been in!

Pools-
The French Pool is definitely the party pool. There is always stuff going on there. We played a little vollyeball and it was fun! The bartenders at the French Pool are the best. I love Orayne. He is a definite Odayne replacement!!! Have him make you a 69! Danger Wayne is also awseome but watch out for the Seven Liquor [----] Kicker. He's not kidding. Tummings makes Off to see the Lizard. I saw something after that! These guys make sure you have fun and make sure you aren't sober! We always had a blast here.

The Dutch pool is much more layed back and relaxed. We would do late night swims here or sit in the hot tub to watch the sunset with nylurker, scooter and griswalds! There is no blended drinks here but a full bar with just about everything I could think of. Copeland made he a heat wave which was delcious. I must say the Dutch pool is very beautiful and so close to the ocean.

The main pool we spent the least time at however it is big, beautiful and fun. The bartenders there are great as well! We only spent one day at the pool. I would say of the three pools the main had the most people but it is so big that it didn't seem crowded.

Watersports-
We had fun with all the watersports. We snorkeled 4 times each time to a different area. Kagian and Cleveland are great! We got some great pictures. We also took out the hobie cat and the water trike. We got stuck on the trike as it was sinking. It was still fun though. Next time I will water ski and knee board. I should have done it this time. Everyone at watersports was very nice and very helpful!

Bars-
All the bars are great and have great people. Take a minute to get to know them. You will be glad you did. They are all friendly and will make you something special-

French Pool Swim up Bar-Great, Orayne, Tummings, Elton, D-Wayne. Ask for a menu!!
Drinks to try-

Drinks to Try-
Heat Wave
Liquid Viagra

Main Pool Bar-
Had all the standards, but don't forget Mixology! This is very fun!!!

Arizona Bar-Ewart
He makes a great MJB

Casablanca Martini Bar-
Their menu had changed. It was smaller than last year which surprised me, but still a blast. The piano is fun. We're not singers but we did watch.

Food-
Okay the important part!

Arizona's
We went here for lunch most days. I liked the Corn Chowder, Chicken Wings, Caesar Wrap, and I requested a grilled chicken sandwich which was great! We never ate here for dinner

Bluefields-
We ate lunch here a few days as well. And snacked here everyday!!! I love the jerk chicken and the patties are wonderful!! They also have good pizza and salads! The calamari was very good and so were the wings. The view from Bluefields is so beautiful! This is another big reason the French Pool is great. Bluefields is right next door.

Bayside-
We went here for breakfast a few days. Great breakfast buffet with omelettes, pancakes, waffles, bacon, sausage fruit and meat and cheeses. Towards the end of the trip we just started ordering room service but if you have the time Bayside is worth it. We never at here for lunch or dinner so I can't comment on that. I did hear that towards the end of our trip Bayside had lobster but by that time it didn't matter to me so we skipped it.

Eleanor's
Great food. Never ate breakfast here but dinner was great. Service was great. We had the pumpkin cream soup and the peppa shrimp. One day I tried the Snapper. Also delicious.

Jasmines-
I was very fond of Jasmines this year and last year. They have great tempura shrimp and good sushi as well. I had a shrimp and scallop dish one day and a cashew chicken dish the other day. They were out of snow peas both times we ate there. Still very good

Giuseppe's
This was by far our favorite dinner spot. We ate here 3 times! Each time we had the calamari, which was great and the minestrone soup. They have a great antipasti bar and good pizza as well. Our favorite dish was the Shrimp and Scallops with pasta and pomodoro sauce. I really miss this place.

Cafe De Paris-Great, although this year I didn't get anything from there except some chocolate covered strawberries and cafe mocha. I still love this place and the deserts all look great. It's nice that they are open early for early risers

Signature Guest Dinner-
I like that Sandals does this but it takes a long time and the food is ok. It was our least favorite meal. I will still go back to this because I think it's an honor for all of their returning guests.

Buffets-
Great! I enjoyed the seafood buffet for the crab legs and the chocolate buffet is always fun. We didn't do the Caribbean beach buffet but we did get our coconut

Spa-
We got too burnt so we didn't end up doing our massages. I was sad about that. Next time we are going to visit right away!

Nightlife-
I think the nightlife is fun. You have your choice of the Cabaret or the Martini bar and it always seemed like something was going on in the Piazza. The vendors are great. I was never bored and I don't expect more than what they provide. We are early risers so we always went to bed early anyway.

Shopping-
We did a lot of shopping in the gift shop, Prices weren't that bad although higher than other places. Although I liked Columbian Emeralds I didn't end up getting anything. It was fun to browse their though.

Excursions-
Didn't do a thing this year. Next time we will. We just love the resort so much we didn't want to leave!

Grounds-As I mentioned everything is grown in, and it is just so beautiful. They really do keep up the place. There are always people planting and mowing and trimming. This is very good to see.

Ride home & flight
Uneventful, and sad. Very very sad. It was nice to have one last look at the Jamaican country side.

Conclusion-
Overall it was great. I can't find anything to complain about. It was just superb from the weather in the mid 80's and sunny all week to the great food and great service.

Again, I have to thank Amy for all her hard work (I can't thank her enough) and Jeremy Jones for him. He has a big task at hand and he and his staff are all wonderful. He has an open door policy and loves to chat with his guests so when you are there tell him how much you enjoy the place and all that they do. Paula and I had a very nice meeting with him and took him a gift as a token of our appreciation. He told me there are a lot of big plans for Whitehouse and I am hooked. I will keep going back year after year.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Best,
Suman & Paula

• Liked — The Beach and Pools
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
41 Thank SandalsBear
Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 February 2007

This was our third visit to the Whitehouse. We were there Jan 15 -22. Having traveled here before, we were prepared for the bus ride. It is an opportunity to see the country. The road had more potholes than previously, probably due to the increase in traffic. Our driver was excellent!
I will echo the review written by Marikaa, our "new friends" from Minnesota. We had some good times and laughs with you at the Riviera Pool bar with Naressa and Deajon!
The resort is beautiful, and the pools are wonderful. We spent most of our time on the beach near the Dutch pool. My husband spends most of his time standing in the ocean! There is a small bar which is very convenient if you do not drink fancy blender type drinks. We had a nice breeze most of the week, Perfect for kite flying! The Red Lane Spa was a nice treat, The special West Indian massage was wonderful!
Our first visit was shortly after they opened, so we have seen the resort's landscape blossom since Feb 2005. The service, food, and staff improved with each of our visits also. We are looking forward to returning next year.

• Liked — Location and beach
12 Thank BeIrie
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals Royal Plantation
Sandals Royal Plantation
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals South Coast? Share your experiences!