“Pub food was fantastic!”

The Cook & Barker Inn
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stopped here for lunch on our way between Newcastle and Edinburgh. We were amazed at the excellent food which was served - fresh, good quality, piping hot and very generous portions. A 2 course lunch was £10 as a Monday special. We have no idea how they make money on that price as the food was delicious. Shredded duck and salmon parcel as starters and then lamb shank and beef & onion pie. We will definitely stop here again and hope others do to!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

I met friends for a drink here, I ordered a couple of malt whiskeys at the bar. The barman, who had an abrupt and unfriendly demeanour, served us our drinks in a tall glass. I asked if we could actually have them in a tumbler and he simply responded "No"! When I asked again he said extremely curtly "No", this time his body language suggested he did not want to be asked again!
This was all very disappointing, not only because we would have enjoyed our, really quite expensive, drink much more in the correct glass but his unhelpful attitude and abruptness made us feel very unwelcome and uncomfortable. You don't expect to be put in a position like this in a country pub, especially not one with a supposed good reputation. If he didn't have the desired glass, he could have just politely said so instead of actually ruining our drink. I could not recommend this pub to anyone.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Moon1000
Reviewed 1 November 2013

we arrived late afternoon to warm welcome and given our keys to our rooms which I have to say were lovely,we changed and went down for the party although it was very busy we were served our drinks without to much delay then to the dining room there was 14 of us for diner,the service was second to none I could not compliment the girls enough a great choice on the menu great beer and wine we had an excellent time.We also had a very nice breakfast great choice with loads of tea coffee and toast we could not have asked for a better end to our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Invited to a wedding near by and stayed over night. We needed to book in early and phoned to see if this was possible, the lady was very helpful and said it would not be a problem. Our room was a twin, clean, bright and everything was spot on. We needed to book a taxi at 1.15 but unfortunately there wasn't any available. I spoke to Lewis and asked if he knew of any other taxis we could try. He said he would take us there no problem, that is what I call going above and beyond, he really was a knight is shining amour, he is a credit to his employers. The breakfast was very nice, good service with a smile. I would have no hesitation in recommending this lovely B&B, and look forward to another visit.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed whilst on business and hosted a small dinner here.

Food, excellent. Good quality, excellent ingredients, well cooked and very tasty. My party of 9 ate everything and enjoyed it all. Breakfast was from a wide selection and the hot food freshly cooked. I had French Toast and crispy bacon for the first time in years...Yum.

Staff, brilliant. Tried to do everything they could to help with the group and as individuals. Bit of a gripe that at quiet times (in between lunch and evening service), you have to keep dinging the bell on the bar to get service, but not a massive issue.

Rooms, good. They feel a little sanitised. Could do with making a little more homely and relaxing. Everything works as it should and they're well appointed, but it's just TOO functional.

All in all. I would be happy to stay again. It's more than value for money. It's nice that a local business is doing it right!! Well done.

Room Tip: I had a downstairs room. I would think the upstairs would be quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

We have visited four times over the last 15 years and standards have not fallen in this time. Our room was comfortable and a decent size. Although the bathroom seemed a little jaded, it was more than adequate.

The food was excellent. The menu allows a good choice. Service is friendly and prompt but not rushed. We had three first rate dinners, nothing disappointed in any way. In addition, the beers are good as well.

The Cook & Barker is excellently located as a base from which to explore Northumberland.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed here for the first time when passing through on business.
I would say it is best described as a great country pub and restaurant that also has rooms.It's strongest points for me were the traditional bar and restaurant area with great food,good selection of beers and a good atmosphere with hands on helpful staff.
The rooms were adequate and it would be easy to critisise if it were first and foremost a hotel but it is an Inn.I found the residential area to be more of a motel type set up in a separate block at the rear of the premises. For example you have to check in and out at the pub bar.The kettle in the room is full size but the bathroom sink is not so to fill the kettle you have to use the bath tap ! I booked and pre paid for a double but got a twin. The rooms were clean and functional and the internet connection was good.All you needed for an overnight stay.Very easy to get to just off the A1

Room Tip: I think some room specs are better than others so if you are particular it is worth enquiring to mak...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton on the Moor
The Hog's Head Inn
#2 of 29 in Morpeth
The Old School
The Old School
#2 of 2 in Newton on the Moor

Been to The Cook & Barker Inn? Share your experiences!