“Could do better”

The Cook & Barker Inn
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Could do better”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Arrived on a Saturday lunchtime to use our Living Social voucher and ordered a drink in the bar which was served by a not too friendly barman
We had booked and we proceeded to our table in the restaurant which was quite cold due to a heating problem but we were not too uncomfortable. There was an excellent choice on the menu and our starters arrived quickly but mine was missing part of it as per the description on the menu, the staff were very busy with a full complement of diners and we could not attract their attention.Our main courses arrived and although were piping hot we were disappointed that my husbands fish and chips used frozen fish which was quite watery and my rack of lamb was more fat than meat but did have a great flavour and the accompanying vegetables and potatoes were plenty for two people.
We mentioned these points to the waiting staff but all we were told was "I will tell the kitchen"
We drove up from Newcastle and felt the meal and service was just ok but I was glad we were not paying the full prices as it would have been poor value for money - I doubt we will return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

And come back we did, went up to the Cook and Barker on a snowy Tuesday 11/02/14... was pleased to see the roaring log fire again, two of us to dine this evening, pre dinner drink while looking at the menu, we had the dinner for two inc bottle of house wine £45.00... excellent value and great choice of food, about 30 people in for dinner that night, service prompt but not rushed, I had Roe Deer for my main, tender and very tasty...... just keep doing what your doing, Great night once again.... Thank you to all at the C & B.... ;-)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My Daughters, together with the help of the Management of The Cook And Barker, had arranged a 'Surprise' party for my Wife's 60th Birthday, without her having any knowledge of this happening!. This was to cater for 23 adults, together with 6 small children.The Staff had set up and arranged the tables, together with the appropriate table 'decorations', prior to our arrival,very impressively. Indeed, everything done by the friendly, accommodating staff was very impressive and efficient throughout the day, nothing was too much trouble for them!,(taking into account the numbers they were dealing with, all at the same time!) No-one had to wait for their meals coming,which were on arrival, all still hot. The food was exceptional from beginning to end. And at the end, they brought out 'THE' Birthday Cake made by their very own 'French Chef'.This was magnificent to say the least!, and a befitting end to a wonderful party for a very surprised Wife!. I cannot praise the entire Staff enough,(ladies and gentlemen, my apologies, your names escaped me),for making it such a 'Special Day'. You are a credit to The Cook And Barker. I would certainly recommend this venue, and will be returning to it again sometime this year.

Room Tip: Did not stay at hotel overnight, (daytime function), so cannot make comment on accommodation.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2014

We chose this hotel as it came highly recommended by my mother in law, who is very fussy, and it didnt disappoint! The location was ideal for what we wanted to do and the rooms were lovely and clean. We were particularly impressed with the restaurant. Working in the customer service industry myself means that I notice good and especially bad service but the staff were all lovely particularly the lady that served us lunch. She couldn't do enough for us. We would definitely recommend and return to this B&B again in the future.

• Stayed January 2014
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Delicious Sunday lunch for four. My son and daughter in law live in Scotland so we decided on lunch her then it's on their way home.
The bar & restaurant were lovely and warm even in a very cold day.
The food was plentiful and lovely any hot when it reached the table. The Sunday roast was lovely, my daughter in law had chicken which was beautiful and I had the burger which was magnificent.
We worth a visit if you're in the area. When I saw the deal on living social it was too good an opportunity to miss. So looking forward to our next booking at end of February

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Millyannpie
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I took my Dad for lunch last Saturday with a Living Social voucher. We had been to the Cook and Barker about a decade or more ago, so couldn't recall it very well, but we remembered it having a strong reputation. We booked for noon and arrived early on a surprisingly sunny morning. I don't think it was even open yet, but a welcoming lady arrived in the cosy bar and was happy to serve us a drink and show us the menus before we went through to the restaurant. The menu offered a lot of choices, and our voucher was for starters, mains and glasses of house wine. Not only was the food delicious, the service was friendly and prompt. The pea puree my Dad had with his scallops and black pudding starter was stunningly good, and my mussels were the best preparation of the dish I have had. We both thoroughly enjoyed our mains, though the mixed grill defeated me with its massive portion, including two giant potatoes worth of wedges. The building itself is charming, clearly recently refurbished (the toilets are lovely!) and we will definitely return.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This was my first visit to the Cook and Barker the pub was lovely and cozy with a real fire burning. The rooms were ok I thought they might be cozy with little touches but they were a bit dated could do with redecorating. The New Years Eve meal was excellent first class, the room only holds about 40 people so it was lovely a atmosphere. Breakfast was good too but I was still full from the previous nights meal.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton on the Moor
Doxford Hall Hotel
#3 of 30 in Morpeth
Birchwood House
Birchwood House
#2 of 30 in Morpeth

Been to The Cook & Barker Inn? Share your experiences!