“Wonderful birthday treat!”

El Gato Negro Tapas
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: El Gato Negro is an award-winning tapas restaurant, formerly in the picturesque village of Ripponden, West Yorkshire. The restaurant is now closed, as we are relocating to Manchester later in 2015. Chef/proprietor Simon Shaw and his team serve a stunning selection of seasonally-inspired tapas and other dishes influenced by modern Spanish cuisine.
Halifax
“Wonderful birthday treat!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We actually ended up going here for my birthday as I won a competition for a meal for 2! Been meaning to go ever since they were on the F word with Gordon Ramsey but never got around to it, suppose if I'm honest I was worried about what to order & how!
We were given the set meal for 2 which included about 6 tapas dishes to share and a bottle of house wine, the service was fantastic, quick & friendly staff; the food was stunning (highly recommend creme catalan for desert!). Will certainly look forward to going again, the only drawback is parking or lack thereof but this is something out of the restaurant's hands.

• Visited May 2014

Halifax, United Kingdom
“WoW”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I visited the restaurant for the first time as a treat from my daughter & I can do nothing but praise the quality of the food & the service.

Simon & John had really gone out of their way & prepared us a special vegetarian menu which was a taste sensation on each course. The delicious dishes were - artichoke soup, Catalan bread, coca mallorquina, spiced aubergine, warm beetroot salad with walnuts, padron peppers, chickpeas with purple sprouting broccoli (which were amazing BTW)

We tried a bottle of the sparkling Albarino which was a perfect choice with the meal, I would highly recommend the wine.

The service was very attentive & nothing was too much trouble it was like having a private dining experience (thank you Lydia )

We finished the meal with a lemon tart & Baileys coffee's accompanied by one of Simon's special chocolates which are gorgeous (you should sell those Simon!!)

Overall a fabulous experience & I would highly recommend it to everyone...

Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
“Great food, service and surroundings need work”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Food was superb - enough said. But... I ordered a bottle of 2005 wine, we were brought a 2009. This is a dirty trick that's becoming increasingly common in restaurants. If the 2009 is what you have in your cellar, do not advertise it as the 2005! My date and I were put in the front room with a large, loud party. At one point I went over and told them to stop swearing and shouting. The waitress offered to move us to another table. But why should we have had to move? How about the sweary drunks move instead? Due to the flooring the room was an echo chamber and conversation was difficult above the noise. After our meal it was difficult to get the waitress's attention to order coffees and then the bill. They were chatting and cleaning glasses behind the bar. In the end I ordered the coffees at the bar, The food was great but it was hardly a relaxing experience.

• Visited May 2014
Ripponden, United Kingdom
“Perfect paella”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I visited with With my cousin for the Tuesday paella night! Perfection! In terms of service , food and atmosphere. Very reasonably priced at £40 for 2 with a bottle of wine <3

• Visited April 2014
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Birthday treat”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We dined here at the end of March for my husband's birthday with our son, daughter and partners. The waitress could not have been more attentive, the service was superb and the place was very full too. We were at the second sitting so stayed late too. This must be about the 6th time we have been since they opened. Never ever been disappointed. Truly superb food and service. Thank yo again everyone! Until next time.....

• Visited March 2014