“First time and last time”

The Turnpike Inn at Rishworth Moor
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My partner and i booked a room for the night to celebrate out anniversary. We were greated by a very well mannerd gentleman but very badly dressed. He wore a white shirt that needed a good iron a thin black tie and black trouses which were full of dried on food. We checked in booked a table in the resturant. Went to our room which was very cold Num 5 couldnt get the heater to work. We went down to eat and the food was first class. On our way back to our room we were told breakfast would be from 8.30 on Saturday should be 8am but he wanted a lie in. We went down saturday for breakfast at 8.40 and no sign of any one nothing out for breakfast except cereals. No milk or fruit jucies. The young gent who booked us in appered and started breakfast in the same shirt and tie and same trouses with dried food on them. We started our breakfast and the cleaner started washing the floors with a very high smelling water solution of bleach then polished the brass rail around the bar so a strong smell of polish. Not a thing you want for breakfast to see the cleaner. The young man said he had only been there two weeks and works a 17 hour day. I will not be going back and will not be sending anyone of my friends SORRY.

Room Tip: Unable to say any more to be honest
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Daniel M, Manager at The Turnpike Inn at Rishworth Moor, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your stay. I am sincerely sorry that it was not up to the standards you were expecting, we are all working hard to improve the quality of the service here at the Turnpike. Our staffing issues are still causing problems with everyone working long hours and service slipping as a result but we are recruiting heavily at the moment and striving to train staff to high standards. We are all sorry to hear you won't be coming back as we all enjoyed meeting you and enjoyed our little chat when you came home from what sounded like a nice evening.

With regards to the room, I was unaware there were problems with the heating in your room and will be calling someone in to take a look at it. I do wish, however you had mentioned it before heading out as we could have tried to rectify the problem, either by fixing the issue or changing your room depending on your preference. I am a little hurt that no issues were addressed at the time as I can't possibly rectify problems if I'm unaware of them. I also thought I had conveyed my flexibility on breakfast times, I suggested 8.30 while we were chatting during check in but would've obliged had you requested an earlier start.

I would like to personally apologise, aside from the running of the business, about the Sunday morning breakfast service and my appearance at the time. I was completely unprepared for the service, this is no ones fault but my own. I was waiting for my washing to come out of the drier when you came down for breakfast. I chose not to serve in my pyjamas and did briefly put on the previous days clothes before showering again and changing into my clean ironed uniform for the days service. This is, obviously, no excuse. It was extremely unprofessional of me to serve in this state and can assure you it will not happen again. I am looking at hiring new staff specifically for breakfast service, as they are likely to be cheerier and more efficient in the mornings having not worked into the early hours of the morning and they will be in early enough to set up properly. I can only apologise profusely and can assure you it won't be happening again.

You also raise a very valid point about the cleaner using Brasso in the bar during breakfast. I will be speaking to them about this.

Thanks again for your feedback, it is highly valued and we will only improve based on what your experience has taught us.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We visit the turnpike every Mother's Day and usually have a great meal. This year was average at best. The food was fine but service was poor, it wasn't overly busy so I couldn't really say that was the problem.
The staff were friendly and trying to do their best, so I suspect it was what was going on in the kitchen that was the problem.
We had children with our group, all our meals were brought and the kids then had to wait at least 10 minutes for theirs as we were told they had forgotten to do them... That didn't go down well.
We all had desert, the children had ice cream.... Again they brought out one ice cream, then the other kids had to wait 15 minutes for theirs.... Not good, this crested tension on what should gave been an effortless day for the mums. Everyone knows kids need to be sorted out first.
My fella had the cheese board, at 7.95 you would expect butter...
Come on turnpike get back to the goodness you once were.

Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 24 March 2014

The Turnpike has gone through many incarnations over the years and having had such a lovely makeover I was hoping that the food offering would have improved.

Over two visits recently I just felt that both the service and the food is very average, and the prices therefore seem very high.

The staff are very indifferent and considering I dined both times during very quiet periods this doesn't bode well. Over two meals the food served did not quite match the description and when queried I was told that they had sold out of certain items, surely this is something that should be pointed out when you place the order.

Overall it doesn't feel like they value your custom, possibly this maybe a consequence of having a lot of passing trade.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MysteryGuestRochdale
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

We have been twice now and disappointed both times. The first visit was atrocious, long waiting times, having to ask repeatedly for the drinks we ordered, having to wait very long time for the food.

The second time we booked to bypass the waiting time for a table. However like previous reviewers their prized asset the carvery has now gone!!
We opted for other food on the menu which was very average

Slow staff, poor service would go again now

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Jenko-6-1
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Have visited for Sunday lunch many times but probably won't go back in a hurry after today. The usual carvery has gone and the 'roasts' served now seem to consist of thinly cut re-heated meats of the mass catering variety, not the hand carved options as before. Poor selection of vegetables too.

The last few times I've visited, the service has been pretty slow. A shame as this is a very nice pub in a great setting.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Four of us visited The Turnpike on Saturday 8th March 2014. The venue is very nice and the staff friendly and attentive. However the food is expensive dressed up pub grub.
e.g. a pork pie in gravy starter over £6.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Rude, rude, rude!!! Having driven from Whitby, my husband suggested the turnpike to stop and have lunch. However, we enquired about a table and we're told (in no uncertain terms) that they were fully booked, All day, by one of the bar staff, when it was quite clear that there were empty tables and it's obvious that you cannot simply pass by the pub but would have had to make a special trip to get there!! No apology given and we were made to feel very unwelcome! Needless to say we shall never return!!!

Stayed: February 2014