“Very nice indeed”
Review of The New Hobbit

The New Hobbit
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sowerby Bridge
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The room and breakfast where both fine and I would stay again. Noise from the other rooms did wake me up though, so light sleepers beware. The staff are friendly and very helpful, although did not know what type of brandy they had.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The New Hobbit

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights as a base. weekend planned with friends who live close by. The hotel was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. Noise was a problem, music could be heard from the do that was going on and also you could hear the toilet and water running from the next room. It wasn't expensive so was good value in a lovely area.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I had been recommended the Hobbit by several friends who have eaten there regularly and assured me that we would enjoy experience.
So we booked a table for four and invited our friends from York to join us and we had a really great night with friendly staff and lovely food all well prepared and presented and served with a variety of freshly cooked veg.I had the beef and ale pie with hand cut chips and it was delicious as was all of the other three meals,if there could be a criticism it was that there could have been a little more veg but that is the only criticism.
I live within walking distance of the Hobbit and I have not visited more than once or twice in twenty years because I did not particularly like the place but after my recent experience I will certainly go again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2014

great place to stay great food i had deconstructed steak and ale pie with hand cut chips and wide choice of drinks lovely rooms the only think was the room was very very hot and no fans..but i will be staying again.
A big thanks to Mel for her help....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank themanadvisor
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The restaurant decor is very pleasant indeed, the waitresses very friendly, and some of the food was very nice as well, however some was completely raw inside and needed returning, so spoiling the timings of the meal. The desserts were good, but one was missed on the order so again timings spoilt. We expected it to be a one off, but some us returned later to find it was much the same.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank JohnSandChristine
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Cold raw food after a long wait.
Honestly the worst Sunday dinner fail ever.
Now to drive elsewhere what a complete waste of time.
The girl behind the counter should learn to accept criticism when they are providing poor quality service also.

• Stayed: May 2014
9  Thank Adam D
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My friend recommended the hobbit to us and after having looked at the menu online we were looking forward to trying it for ourselves. It was quite difficult to find but on arrival the place was nicely decorated and welcoming and the waitresses were friendly and efficient. There were four of us and we were told that the menu had changed from what was advertised online however we all ordered a starter and a main course. All the starters were well presented and enjoyable. I ordered steak pie and chips and asked for a portion of veg. I was told that there was no veg on the menu but I could have salad. Steak pie and salad, I think not. I cannot believe that a restaurant would trade and serve food without the option of having veg. My husband ordered the mixed grill and I have to say for the price it was a poor specimen. We informed the waitress that the steak was missing and she promptly went to order one. It arrived rare and bloody when it was originally ordered medium. He was later offered a sirloin to be cooked to his liking but the moment had passed and we had finished our meal. It was too late. We were given three free drinks for our inconvenience. We did not have any desserts or coffees as we just wanted to leave. We were told that this is a one off and reviews on trip advisor are excellent. We weren't however told about the sarcastic and unprofessional comments that are left by the so called manger. After speaking to the manager we were not charged for the mixed grill and were offered a 20% discount on our next visit to which we declined. I speak as I find and this was the worst dining experience that we have had in many years and to be honest would not return for free and will not be recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
The Old Golf House Hotel Huddersfield
Travelodge Halifax
Travelodge Halifax
#7 of 10 in Halifax

Been to The New Hobbit? Share your experiences!