“Rude!”
Review of Alma Inn

Alma Inn
“Rude!”
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

The Alma is in a delightful setting and is lovely when the sun is shining. I have been here for drinks a number of times, but I would not reccommend eating here! We arrived for food around 6pm, there were 4 of us. We were looking at the menus at the table when the chef came over and told us to order soon as they were shutting the kitchen as they had been stood around doing nothing for 2 hours, and we could only order pizza's... So we reluctantly ordered 4 pizza's, over an hour later they arrived and were fairly average. The bar was dead, the owners are rude and one was very drunk! Would not reccommend spending your time or money here, there are plenty other establishments with much better food and better customer service not too far away!

Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Claire S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Have been to the Alma before and decided we would drive over from Rochdale for a meal on a Saturday evening. We arrived at ca 6pm and asked at the bar for a menu, we were told that we would have to wait a while for food as they were busy, we accepted this and went to sit down. There appeared to be only one young lad who was taking orders, collecting the food from the kitchen and serving at a rate of one plate at a time, other people were also waiting to be served. We waited 50 minutes which is more than a "while" in my opinion so went to the bar to ask when we were likely to be served. The lady came from behind the bar and stated it would be at least another 45 minutes before they could take our order and that they were serving people who had booked and that they couldn't be expected to serve 40 meals at once. This is a small pub and there are not more than about 8 tables in the bar and there was no-one in the Restaurant. I said I can understand a slight wait but almost 2 hours was completely unacceptable if you want to run a restaurant. We left without food and drove back to a more local restaurant which is bigger, had more customers and were served within 15 minutes. The customer service at The Alma is awful and to make it worse they don't seem to care!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Swiggydale

Travellers are raving about these Sowerby Bridge hotels

Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I went to this charming looking pub with 3 business friends for a quiet Friday night get-together. At the end of the evening I realized why there there were no more than around 10 other customers on what should have been very a busy night. The Landlord continually interrupted our conversation, passing snide comments in an attempt to antagonize embarrass us. I have never met the man before but his rudeness suggested that he was drunk, resentful, illogical or all three.Having discussed his strange behavior with several other people in the area I have been told by those living within a short walk would never go again whilst he was the Landlord.
The pub has great potential..............what a shame!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank abwabs
Bicester
Reviewed 1 April 2013

From walking in through the door I never really felt welcome. They wanted to know there and then what time I wanted breakfast, I said I didn't know as I didn't even know what time I would be back from my night out. They said they needed to know what time I'd be back as someone would have to wait up for me!

I cut my night short and phoned ahead to say i'd be back at half past midnight, I then had to tell them what time I wanted breakfast.

Breakfast was very nice with good quality ingredients and the views are lovelly.

This must be a nice place to visit in the summer but I don't think I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Pooley-1
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

I've always loved the Alma for its charming location, and traditionally we've returned time and again. We've had a few less than satisfactory food experiences but have always 'forgiven & forgotten'. On this latest visit on New Year's Day however we've decided never to return...at least until there is a change of management. I would like to say to the owners that it is no crime to politely enquire where your food is after waiting for over an hour with hungry children. It is rude in the extreme to say 'You'll get your food when it's ready' and then to grumpily accuse us of harrassment when we were simply asking for an idea of waiting times, particularly as the restaurant was closed and the pub far from being full. On top of this I was charged almost double for a round, and although reimbursed no apology was made. Yes the pizzas were nice when they arrived however after being quite badly treated in terms of service we've decided to take our business elsewhere. The owners moaned in front of customers about people not booking in advance, and then wonder why the pub is half empty? People won't return when they've been made to feel as uncomfortable as we were.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Nikki M
Filey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I would just like to say a big thank you to the hosts and staff,We had a lovely two night stay with our son and little dog Pippin.The food was lovely and lot's to choose from the menu,the meat and potatoe pie was a winner with my son ,who is very funny about what he eats,so thumbs up.They also have a menu for the visiting four legged kind,I have read some of the other reviews and feel some of the comments were harsh,but as the saying goes you can not please ever one no matter how hard you try.As for those who don't care for the likes of the four legged kind,perhaps this is not the place for you,as they are many more pubs that are not dog friendly,but for us it could not of been better thank you and see you if we are ever in west yorkshire again.

Room Tip: Good family room little small but ever thing you need and good beds mean good sleep