“Okay but room for improvement”
Review of Alma Inn

Alma Inn
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Okay but room for improvement”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Went for a family meal. Beautiful setting in a lovely spot. Decided to eat in the Bar area as there wasn't anyone in the Restaurant Area and the Bar Area was very quiet when we arrived at 6pm.
Good selection on both menu and Specials Board. We had 2 children who both decided on the DIY childrens pizza, which consisted of 2 choices of toppings. The pizza was semi pre-cooked then the ingredients were brought for the boys to build their pizzas. They could also watch them being cooked. We thought this was a great idea and so did the boys. One of our party asked if she could substitute the chips for salad but was told "Yes, but you'll have to pay" which I thought was a bit odd, it wasn't like it was an extra. Hence decided against it. The food was good. The home made chips were great but no vegetables were provided with our mains which would have been nice. Service was very slow as there just seemed to be a young guy waiting on even when the place got very busy there didn't seem to be anyone helping him and he did apologise several times for delays. If we hadn't has 2 hungry children with us we probably wouldn't have noticed as much but a couple more waiting staff would have made such a difference. Enjoyable meal in picturesque surroundings.

Room Tip: Definitely eat in the Restaurant as it does get very busy in the Bar Area even if it seems quiet it...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Having read the reviews on this website before I went, I was somewhat cautious. However, the landlady was welcoming and accommodating, and the young staff were friendly and efficient. We spent a lovely evening in the wonderful Italian restaurant, and later in the bar. We asked for an early breakfast and this was no problem, even though it was Sunday. I really can't understand the criticism I read, and would question the expectations and agenda of one or two of them. I would not hesitate to stay at the Alma again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank essexrachel1968
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I think the people who wrote so of the previous reviews should really think before they post as they could cost people their livelihood in these trying times.
I read the reviews, and though I was booked in, they nearly put me off going to stay.
Firstly, what do these idiots expect for the price, 'The Grand'. It's eighty pounds and well worth it. The location was beautiful and the staff (young, old, owner and even their dog) were lovely and accommodating. Nothing was too much trouble and the food and drink were of a higher standard than the price charged. This leads me to suggest that those people who complained should perhaps look at themselves. Could they have been giving off a 'snooty, above this' vibe. I would be interested in the sort of hotels they normally stay in (perhaps they though they were slumming it). I have used the phrase idiots to describe those people who wrote the bad reviews. They could put people out of business with just a few moments on a computer. This isn't helpful to a business that's trying to succeed. Before anybody asks, I've stayed in all manner of establishments around the world. I did sleep badly, but this was my fault as I had two cracked ribs.

Room Tip: Go with an open mind, a friendly attitude and you won't be short changed.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 63harries
Somerset
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Didn’t stay but ate. Party of four and we had a mixture of pizzas and salads. Lovely evening so we ate outside lapping up the stunning views - fabulous. Ok the salads were a little basic but the pizzas are properly done – Italian style, thin and crispy and good choice. Service was good, but at this place you are going for the location and the stunning scenery. Great choice of real ales and good wines.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Queenstown
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I'm afraid I have to agree with the other recent guests that the management seriously need to brush up on their customer service skills if they wish to run a successful business. I stayed 1 night and felt most unwelcome. The room I had was painted dark red with blue carpet and had a tiny window which i had to stand on tip toes to see out of which was a shame with such a beautiful view outside. Felt a bit like being trapped in a cell and if you look too closely the room was not clean (i dropped something behind the bed and had to fish it out - ew!). The landlady was abrupt and I constantly felt like i was hassling her when I asked for something - looked like she would rather be at the bar drinking with her mates. Was also put under pressure as soon as i walked in the door to decide exactly what i wanted to eat for breakfast and the exact time. Lovely location but poor service.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank KipperQueenstown

Travellers are raving about these Sowerby Bridge hotels

Haworth
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Remembered what a lovely location the Alma has and hadn't been there for a while so went there on a beautiful summer's evening for dinner. They have two menus, one in the bar and one in the restaurant, found this a bit confusing but an unhelpful barmaid pointed out the food was the same in either part of the establishment. Decided on the menu in the bar and proceeded to the restaurent and double checked we could eat that choice there. Confused? So were we,so asked a man behind the service counter in the restaurant,again, food's the same wherever you eat it came the abrupt reply. Then with looks that could kill he told us he was busy, I persisted, could we have the bar menu, he looked at us like we were lunatics, the bar menu doesn't exist, what was wrong with me that I didn't understand, it just happens to be on a blackboard in the bar covered in yummy things, we could have a pizza. We left.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank MrsHHaworth
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

The Alma is in a delightful setting and is lovely when the sun is shining. I have been here for drinks a number of times, but I would not reccommend eating here! We arrived for food around 6pm, there were 4 of us. We were looking at the menus at the table when the chef came over and told us to order soon as they were shutting the kitchen as they had been stood around doing nothing for 2 hours, and we could only order pizza's... So we reluctantly ordered 4 pizza's, over an hour later they arrived and were fairly average. The bar was dead, the owners are rude and one was very drunk! Would not reccommend spending your time or money here, there are plenty other establishments with much better food and better customer service not too far away!

Stayed May 2013
#3 of 5 in Sowerby Bridge
The Malthouse
The Malthouse
#1 of 1 in Rishworth

Been to Alma Inn? Share your experiences!