“Absolute favourite”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 November 2010

This is my favourite place. It's totally charming. You are immediately made to feel at home, though the vintage style decor is beautiful and could be straight from a magazine. They have created a relaxed environment where attention to detail is paid to everything and the food and service at Gimbals are equally special. I am never disappointed here, whether it's a spontaneous night out in the week or for a very special meal. Judging by it's popularity, most of Halifax feels the same.

Reviewed 15 November 2010

I visited Gimbals with my boyfriend a few months ago, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and night. The menu had plenty of choice and the food was excellent, I had the belly pork and my boyfriend had the rib eye steak, which was cooked to perfection, the portion sizes were just right and we were left with just enough room for their delicious truffles which I highly reccomend to have with a coffee at the end of the night. The service was very attentive but not overwhelming. I thought the atmosphere was intimate whilst remaining welcoming and friendly, and the vintage decor added to the mood. I would reccomend this restaurant to anyone who appreciates excellant food and wants a pleasant evening.

Reviewed 15 November 2010

There are quite a few nice places to eat in Halifax but Gimbals is probably my favourite, i recently visited with my girlfriend for my birthday and had great meal once again,its the only restaurant in Halifax(that i can think of) that has such relaxed lighting and atmosphere(great for a romantic evening). Also its definitley worth getting there early to have a drink in the upstairs room,opulent and stylish

Reviewed 12 November 2010

I was so shocked to read the negative reviews of this restaraunt that I am urged to write my own first ever review. As a regular visitor to Sowerby Bridge, I eat at Gimbals twice or three times a year. At all times, holidays, saturday nights and mid - week the standard of service in Gimbals restaurant is always excellent. The staff are discretely attentive, wear stylish clothes that blend them into the busy customer buzz and bring you plate after plate of delicious, well presented and extremely affordable food.
With an emphasis on seasonal produce and current taste combinations the food is exciting and trendy but in real portions - you get lovely veg along with your meal so you couldn't possibly feel short changed.
I cant recommend this restaraunt enough and cant imagine how rude these people would have had to have been to get a frosty reception in what I have always experienced as a very special, welcoming and friendly restaurant with food to die for!

Reviewed 4 October 2010

This came suggested to me by a co-worker as a place to take the girlfriend, to be honest, I'm glad I went to check it out with my family first, and I will not be returning in the future.

To start, the menu was far too big and varied, you see this very often in restaurants (more so in gastro pubs) trying to cater for every taste, and in the end, all it does is reduce the quality of the experience.

My starter was the same that my dad chose, lamb parcels, which were deep fried and horrendously oily, to the point at which the other flavours were lost.
My mother started with a crab dish, and the crab was awful, gritty and tasted like the dark and light meats had been mixed and not kept properly, we sent the dish back, and the waitress apologised and offered an exchange, we declined and moved onto the mains.

I had duck on chinese noodles, which was slightly overcooked, but otherwise nice, with balanced flavours, but nothing I couldn't have done myself a lot better.
To say something positive though, the tempura chillis were lovely, couldn't have been nicer.
My dad had belly pork, which was average at best, and I cannot remember what my sister and mum had, but they weren't great either.

The puddings were average again, nothing special.

All in all, a big let-down after it had been hyped up so much by my pal, overpriced and lacking in culinary skill.

1  Thank Alexander S