“Lunch with the girls”

Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Watton
Price range: US$7 - US$33
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in Watton, a Market Town in Central Norfolk, The Willow House is a beautiful sixteenth century thatched, grade two listed building.The Inn and restaurant were cottages that were converted into a period picture post card hostelry, with en-suite chalet style rooms available, which were Tourist Board accredited. The Willow House offers a very traditional and cozy atmosphere, where you are surrounded by old wooden beams and large fireplaces.For both, those just in need of a hot or cold drink or those choosing from the wide range of food on offer. From a traditional bar snack or daily specials, to the full A La Carte or Table D'hote menus available. For a great bed and breakfast Norfolk UK, come to The Willow House.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Enjoyed a lunch here with friends, I had bacon panini served with salad and crisps my friend had an enormous jacket potato filled with tuna. It looked amazing. Both were lovely. Nice and quiet for a catch up, although there were quite a few other patrons. Will definitely come back.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely pub/restaurant.food is great from baguettes to cooked meal scamp burgers ham egg and chips.great service. Will go again

Willow H, Owner at The Willow House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi

Thank you for your review.

Regards

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Willow House had been recommended by a friend of my mother, so we went with high expectations.But unfortunately the menu was poor, service slow. Restaurant empty on a bank holiday Monday, which was surprising. Food not great, my mothers roast lamb was tough and barely warm. Only one vegetarian choice on the menu for my partner.

Thanks Ray for your fairly negative post.
I would like to take issue with you on a number of points.

'The menu was poor'!
We run two menus, a Bar menu, which stays the same for months at a time.
This has everything from sandwiches and baguettes to omelettes & hand battered haddock to rib eye steak plus homemade chilli ' lasagne and too many other dishes to mention.
Our specials menu that changes bi daily has 7 Starters on it, 10/12 mains, ranging from roasts to pasta dishes, a minimum of two fish dishes, chicken dishes a curry and more, also as you pointed out a specials vegetarian dish, This plus around 8/10 deserts!

So I can categorically say 'poor' is not a word that springs to mind!

You say that there was only 1 Vegetarian option!
As far as the Specials menu is concerned at first glance you could be right, but with closer attention, we run 3/4 starters that are all vegetarian, that we can & do mix up to make a platter of vegetarian dishes, when asked.
This, plus there is a stir-fried vegetable dish and a vegan bean burger on the Snack menu, Jacket potatoes, omelettes etc, all are vegetarian!!

So the only thing lacking here would possibly be your imagination!

'Lamb tough and barely warm'
I cook all my joints in an SV @ a low temp for around 12hrs, there is not a piece of mussel that comes out of the SV that isn't as tender as butter! Believe me when I say we cook 6/8 joints of meat a week this way and we never get complaints of 'tough' meat!

The portions of beef or lamb are reheated to 60deg C for min of 10mins, served on hot plates with hot gravy on a hot servery under halogen lamps, so I am not sure where your 'barely warm' comes into it, unless this was the temperature at the end of your meal.

I can guarantee all of above, as we work to a tried and tested system that works 7 days a week, year on year. I demand my staff and I all work to be completly consistent, which we are.

As to the dinning room being empty, unfortunately my crystal ball isn't all its cracked up to be, but I can say the evening before we had more than 200 people enjoying our establishment. Maybe we had exhausted everyone and their pockets!! Who knows?

We are very proud of what we do here, we also take all comments seriously, possibly if you had said something at the time, I'm sure we could have found your partner a dish she liked, if indeed she didn't like what it was you believe was offered, as you didn't say!

Regards

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Visited again last night for early dinner with two children, and ate in the bar. We are regular customers and have only ever experienced excellent service, warm and welcoming staff who are very knowledgeable about gin! Speedy, high quality food (the children’s menu chicken nuggets are home made and delicious, and excellent portion sizes for the cost). Always good, we will continue to be regular customers. Thanks x

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Willow H, Manager at The Willow House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi

Thank you very much for your positive review.

Keep an eye on our events board, we are having an evening with a local gin maker very soon who is based in Norwich.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 9 June 2018 via mobile

Went to the willow house for a meal with family before attending a wedding in a nearby church. Table was booked and set up according. Good variety of food. Service was polite and of a friendly nature. The chef was accommodating to requests. Only real down side of the whole thing and why I haven't give 5 stars was there was no changing facilities to change my baby. I was offered the floor in the toilets.... I refused and changed him on one of the beaches with my portable changing mat.

Hi Amanda

Thank you for your positive review and comments.

As regard to a room for changing, as you will have noted, we are very short on space, as we are working with a 500 year old plus building, that had been converted to a pub some 40 years ago, baby changing was not on the designers mind at the time, in fact they only just about made room for a couple of wc.'s.

Even though I refurbished the loo's some 5/6 years ago, there physically isn't the room to put a changing facility. So unfortunately we are stuck with what we have got.

We hope you understand.

If I had been made aware of this, we have used the breakfast end of the dinning room before as a slightly more secluded spot for a change of bum!

If this occurrence happens again, ask for me, so suggest my suggestion to my staff.

Kindest Regards