After a cabin rental fell through for our visit during August holiday weekend, we booked the last two rooms at Salzburger Hof Lakeshore Resort, trying to be near other family members at a rental on Harmony Beach.
The view on Highway 17 was magnificent, all the way up the lake. We did drive north and the view gets more spectacular as the altitude increases. The resort provides daily park passes and had some great suggestions for day trips. They provide some brochures and outfitter information in the breakfast/lunch restaurant.
Yes, the cabins are dated, but we chose to be on the lake as opposed to staying in Sault Ste Marie. None of the area north of the city is commercially developed. Our end unit (#1) was clean, comfortable, and fairly spacious-1br and living/kitchen combo. Actually it was a little charming with a little chandelier over the dining table, but it did have the avocado green bathroom fixtures and wood-beam cottage decor.
We also had unit #6 for my mother with 2 double beds and a kitchenette.
We were prepared for the fact is was not upscale from the photos, both rooms smelled fresh and clean. No a/c, ceiling fans and standing fans are provided. The cabins have a heat system we didn't use. After the first night, a cool front came through, and no fan was needed. We opened up the windows and sliding door, and the cool Lake Superior breeze was very refreshing.
After talking to the staff, and telling them we were flying in, they provided towels for us, and refreshed during the week at our request.
I brought travel-size toiletries, and they came in handy, as none were provided, I brought my own hairdryer as I knew ahead of time the cabins were rustic. No outlet in the bathroom, but the bedroom had outlet by the dresser.
It was fairly simple to get closer to the restaurant and sit at the umbrella tables with our ipads/laptops to get some news via internet. I actually enjoyed being away from the electronics --what a vacation is for!
We had a couple of breakfasts that were pleasant, chatted with the owner.
The food was magnificent at dinner. We were attending a family gathering, and I called ahead and ordered a pan of cabbage rolls to take to our pot-luck gathering. They were wonderful. We also had a family dinner at the Austrian restaurant that was authentic and delicious. After that meal, we made reservations for the Friday night fish fry that was also delicious and buffet-style.
The cottages face the lake, but it's not a beach. Every evening we would sit out and enjoy the breeze and sunset. Plenty of chairs and lounge chairs were on the lawn, with horseshoes and shuffleboard available.
We enjoyed our stay, it was a pleasant week. We enjoyed taking the Algoma train ride, checking out the Canadian Carver and other gift shops in the area, enjoying the outdoors--hiking at Chippewa Falls, and visiting/walking at Harmony Beach.
Beware of the Zip Line--husband's shoulder was sore all week from the landing of the primitive Mega Zip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take in the fabulous view of Lake Superior while sampling the many authentic Austrian/ German dishes offered to you from our Chef Karen Van Der Swan. Fresh locally caught Trout or Whitefish and traditional Canadian dishes, such as steaks, are also available. Excellent dessert selection featuring our Haus Apple Strudel. Premium liquor and wine selection. Salzburger Hof Dining Lounge has been given the 'Best of the Lake' award twice by the readership of the Lake Superior Magazine. Families and groups are welcome. Open from Mother's Day to the third weekend in October. Hours from 5 pm until 9 pm (seasonal) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and Ebookers so you can book your Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Hotel
- Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort Batchawana Bay, Canada - Ontario