We had stayed at the Salzburgerhof 20 years ago, and I had a good memory of itso while driving the North of Superior road, I planned a night here again. Arriving around 4pm,I could not recall anything about the place.
The room ( #4) was a sad and tired old motel style room.The walls and ceiling were old wood of decent quality, but the room had old and inappropriate furniture,and was very dark. The decrepit bathroom would have made Basil Fawlty proud! It was tiny(really!) and the walls around the ancient and uninviting tub looked as if they were made from old car body panels. In short, it was not a room in which one wanted to linger.
The restaurant, vaunting Austrian/Bavarian cuisine, was in a separate building from the motel rooms. The inside of this restaurant was clean but almost totally lacking in any genuine Austrian decor or atmosphere. It was well patronised,and we had made arrangements to dine at 7pm. We were given what I would consider the best table ( in the corner by the windows). Things soon went downhill. We waited a full half hour to be given the chance to order anything,at which time we were told we would still wait another hour (!) before we got any food! This was clearly unacceptable! After remonstrating with staff, this issue was resolved and our dinner did arrive within a reasonable time thereafter. I had the Wienerschnitzel. It was adequate (if abundant!) but somewhat disappointing. The choice of wines was very sad and limited. We were not impressed!(Having been MANY times in Salzburg and throughout Austria!).
The mitigating aspects of staying here are the view over Lake Superior from the gardens adjacent to the motel rooms, and the fact that the owners/personnel are genuinely nice people who are trying to make the best of a bad job. In all honesty, I could would never recommend anyone to stay here,unless your taste is just one up from camping.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Take in the fabulous view of Lake Superior while sampling the many authentic Austrian/ German dishes offered to you from our Chef Karen Van Der Swan. Fresh locally caught Trout or Whitefish and traditional Canadian dishes, such as steaks, are also available. Excellent dessert selection featuring our Haus Apple Strudel. Premium liquor and wine selection. Salzburger Hof Dining Lounge has been given the 'Best of the Lake' award twice by the readership of the Lake Superior Magazine. Families and groups are welcome. Open from Mother's Day to the third weekend in October. Hours from 5 pm until 9 pm (seasonal) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Hotel
- Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort Batchawana Bay, Canada - Ontario