“Old Fashioned family resort”

Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Batchawana Bay
Olympia, Washington
“Old Fashioned family resort”
Reviewed 23 September 2010

We felt we had traveled back in time when we stayed at the Lakeshore Resort. We had our choice of the small, detached cabins that all face Lake Superior and picked one of the moderately priced ones. Our cozy, wood-paneled cabin was perfect. There was a large sitting room with TV which allowed our family of 3 to spread out. Chairs and chaises were arrayed on the lawn overlooking the lake, very peaceful. The dining room offered Austrian food, one of my husband's favorite cuisines; breakfast was in the "lodge." The only downside, which the resort has little power to fix, is the spotty wi-fi reception.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Olympia_Deb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Grove City, MN
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We had a great timeat the Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort. We were greeted so warmly when we arrived. The view of Lake Superior is amazing!!!! The food was superb...true German cuisine! We stayed in a two bedroom unit that had an upstairs and downstairs....although dated, it was very clean and cozy. We were able to relax, sleep well, and get back on the motorcycles ready to continue our journey. I would absolute recommend this resort if you are trekking around Lake Superior, you will not be disappointed. You will eat very well here :-)

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leahjohanna
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2010

this resort seems hard to find at first but is really quite easy and only minutes off hwy 17 - the food and service was great-- the food was really great - it would be a great place for a family reunion. cheers

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Yooper
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We will never stay at this Inn again.

We stayed in the one bedroom suite with the sunken bedroom. The suite was very musty smelling and had a distinct smell of mold in the bedroom area. The appliances were archaic; it's shocking that they are still functional. Don't forget dish soap or shampoo either; unlike other Lake Superior inns, this one does not furnish much in terms of toiletries.

Antiques are great, but when you have to stay in a suite that smells ancient, it's not very comfortable. The entire place looks like part of a movie set from the 70's. The only nice aspect of the suite was the wood walls.

We would recommend staying somewhere outside of Batchawana Bay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank chapleau
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed 6 July 2010

I had a horrible stay at the Salzburger Hof Resort. I had a water heater in my room which vibrated all night long and I could not sleep. When I told resort staff they said they knew about it. I ask for a different room but they said none were available. Nothing was done to resolve the situation, too bad for me; I could not sleep all weekend. As for the beach that they claim to have, if you like laying on rocks then you found the right place.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank Speak68
Region of Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 31 May 2010

My daughter and baby granddaughter and I were heading home from a Northern tour . We had booked a room at the Salburgerhof Resort to break up the trip to Southwestern Ontario.Are we ever glad that we did.! We were welcomed right away and felt at ease. Thanks Sylvia. The rooms are clean, spacious and functional and European in style.The beds are cozy and comfortable. The view is fantastic. Dinner and Breakfast were delicious. Thanks again Karen. I want to bring the rest of my family back to spend some more time at Salburgerhof resort. Warning though... You may not want to leave. My only comment is that we didn't have hot water but after all, we are Canadian . I am sure that if we had mentioned the problem it would have been fixed right away. I can't wait to come back and stay here again

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Northville, Michigan
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I stumbled across Salzburger Hof by accident at the tale leg of a 4- day, 1800 mile solo motorcycle tour across northwestern Ontario. Good thing it was the last day, as I would never of left had I got there sooner. The grounds, lodgings, and the view are beautiful, relaxing and uber-calming. The water at the beach out front was warm enought to swim in, even in late May. The food is exceptional, somthing very hard to come by this far North. The Hof is even pet friendly However, the defining characteristic is the service-simply world class. This should be a destination stop for anyone who drives North on Hw17. If you are preparing for an upcoming Lake Superior Circle Tour, this stop should be on your agenda.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
#1 of 2 in Batchawana Bay
Carriage Ridge Resort
Carriage Ridge Resort
#11 of 19 in Barrie

Been to Lake Shore Salzburger Hof Resort? Share your experiences!