“Pleasantly Surprised”

Voyageur's Lodge & Cookhouse
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I stayed here with my sister and nephews on our way from southern Ontario to Thunder Bay. My sister booked it because they had passed by it before and always wondered what it was like. I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised.

We knew we would be arriving late and the owners happily offered to leave the lights on for us and make sure our rooms were unlocked. It was great to just pull in and unload the kids into waiting beds.

The rooms were clean, and well appointed with a small fridge and microwave in each room. The furniture and decor were charming and totally in keeping with the voyageur theme as most of it is of log construction.

The views from the large picture window couldn't be beat as I fell asleep looking at the blue moon reflecting perfectly over the bay and woke to the waves washing up on the shore just across the highway.

This lodge is located right on the highway so you should expect some traffic noise. I am a light sleeper but, with the windows closed, the traffic sounds never woke me.

I would definitely look forward to another stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank switr

Reviewed 5 August 2012

You have to love what Frank and Gail are trying to do with this place. They bought a few old motels are constantly trying to improve them and make them something of a destination.

While work on the physical facilities continues, their genuine hospitality makes up for any short comings. We stayed here on the third day of our Lake Superior Circle tour, and it was by far our longest day of driving -- we had come from Thunder Bay that morning. When we checked in around 5:30, Frank checked us in quickly, put us on the dinner waiting list, and after a short wait, he walked over to our room to make sure we were settled in and to tell us that our table in the cookhouse was ready. Later that night, after an evening of finding "cool" rocks in the bay across the street from the motel, we were sitting on the bench in front of our room taking in the view. Gail came up to make sure we were comfortable and that we had enough linens, etc.

Please see my review of the cookhouse to understand what a treat you are in for there.

Room Tip: We had room 3 in the south part of the motel. It had two double beds with a futon that was also a d...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JusticeSalmon
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My title sums it up. If you can tolerate a rustic cabin feel in order to access beautiful Batchawana Bay and Lake Superior Provincial Park, then you will be very pleased with Voyageur's. The rooms were clean, they had satellite TV, and our room had a couch and fridge. The only downside was that the bathroom was a little questionable but you need to expect that at a roadside motel. My observation was that the Voyageur was the best motel in the area and I would gladly go back.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the rooms with sitting areas. Well worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Upon arriving at Voyageurs lodge and cookhouse, every person on staff was extremely friendly. This past weekend was the first time there for ice climbing and because of the season, we were the only out-of-towners there. Despite coming back from climbs towards the end of their business hours, the staff stayed late to make sure we had a nice hearty meal. They even had the table set for us once we got back from a good day of climbing! The rooms are extremely well kept (despite our particular room not having a main room light). The larger rooms with kitchens are great. The view of the bay is great. Great location to stay for climbers.
Frank and Gail (and their whole staff) have an excellent thing going for them. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Room 5 is a nice place to just lay your head down for the night, if you plan on hosting a group to e...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We stayed only 2 days but we were thrilled to have found this place. The rooms are cozy, clean and well layed out with nice beds. The view is to die for being across the road from Batchwana bay and the beach.
The restaurant was superb and made some of the best whitefish I have ever eaten. Every single staff person we spoke to could not do enough for us. The customer service here is second to none. And to top it off if you are in need of something else there is an on site variety store.
If you are in this area and do not stay here you have just settled for second best. I am not giving this place high praise, they earned it !

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We've been here for ATV trips several times. This year (2011) was exceptional. Return late, after the restaurant was closed, we were thrilled to find dinner for 4 hungry guys in our room. Owners Frank and Gail and their staff obviously went one step farther than most innkeepers. Many thanks guys. If you are looking for an amazing stay and particularly if you love ATVing check them out. You will be thrilled.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We had stayed here many years ago and thought it would be fun to stay here again for old time sake. We were on our way to Northern Ontario to hunt bear and had such a good time I wished we could stay longer. We made sure to stop in again on our way home. It is right on Lake Superior and the beach and views are FABULOUS. This place has such charm and reminded me so much of great trips from my childhood and my childrens childhoods. Yet it had all the modern conveniences that I've come to love. I LOVE this place.

Room Tip: If you need absolute dark to sleep ask for a room on the South end (to the right of the General Stor...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank justracey

Been to Voyageur's Lodge & Cookhouse? Share your experiences!