“Just what we wanted”
Review of Pandanus Resort

Pandanus Resort
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Mui Ne
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed there with my son and another friend. I spent my time on the beach and in the sea and they varied between that and the large pool. The gardens are lovely and the staff attentive.

I much prefer Mui Ne to Ham Tien and the red dunes for sand sliding are only 5 minutes walk away.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Just back last Sunday from staying at Pandanus Resort. The grounds are huge, beautifully landscaped and well maintained. Our room was all we could ask for. There was a choice of cottages or rooms. The lounges, dining room etc. had an exquisite artistic touch. The food was excellent, lots of variety. (bring an extra tea bag for tea lovers like myself.)
The staff were exceptionally helpful, especially the director of extra curricular activities and tours, Rosi. I appreciated her well spoken English.
The fishing village is a treat in close proximity with all its colourful boats. At night we could see their lights in the distance, like a city. Atti and the band were excellent entertainers. If we were back in Viet Nam we'd return!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The hotel was very enjoyable, we traveled during the slow season so there were maybe 3 other groups of people at the resort. The beach is awesome, the pool is great, the grounds are beautiful. In addition to the normal amenities they have a grass basketball court (cool!), a volleyball court, badminton and swings/playground.

One night there was a live band, and given it was slow season, my GF and I sat by the pool and got our own private concert from the likes of the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna etc etc etc. The people in the band were very nice and they took requests and chatted with us during their break, really wonderful people. They were from Manila and their English was perfect and their singing was fantastic!

The only negative thing I'd have to say about the hotel is that it is in a fairly isolated area, so it is difficult to go out away from the resort if you do not have a motorbike or a car and don't know exactly where you're going.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Kevin,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for writing such a complimentary review.

However, I'm quite surprised at your final comment, that the Pandanus Resort is isolated. We are located just one kilometer from a town of 22,000 people, with more than a dozen restaurants and some shops all located just across the street, or within a five to ten minute walk of the resort. On the other side of the resort, just 300 meters away, is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the area; the orange sand dunes. If one does wish to go to either Phan Thiet city center or to a beach bar or restaurant in Ham Tien or Suoi Nuoc, one may take a public bus from the entrance of the resort. They operate from 6AM until 9PM, coming by about every ten to fifteen minutes, at a cost of less than US$1.00.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We recently stayed at the Resort for about 10 nights. Inside the resort is very nice and good value. Cocktails and food all great - too much to choose. The breakfast is huge although unless there is western management walking around the service is virtually nil at breakfast time.

The pool was allocated for refurbishment during our period of stay so we received a discount - I would not have stayed at this resort in full price time when comparing to other 3* 4* & 5* resorts we have stayed at in Vietnam in the past four years we have been traveling to the country.

Inside the resort is great - lots of staff - large areas etc - once you walk past the main entrance and past the end of the entrance driveway to the roadside there is an absolutely consistent awful smell of Sewer - NOT fish as others have described in the past posts and direct to us in messages prior to our travel. Every day this smell was there.
We know that is the smell of sewer as we walked with one of the local families we made friends with in the area and they showed us the problem.

The resort is out of the way - but you know that before attending and it is a great peaceful location.
We walked around all of the roadways in the vicinity and its great for fitness and to see the neighbourhood - and there is lots to see including fish drying further along from the resort, and little shops and homes.

We attended the Resort's wine and cheese evening and were informed of the local bus to the main section of the city by management which was alot easier and extremely good value - $1AUD each way and leaves out the front of the Resort very very regularly!!

The resort itself is clean within, but there is certainly no action taken by the resort or management to clean up just in front to the immediate outsides of the resort which was disappointing to see. Other mainstream resorts in the past we have stayed at in Vietnam and other developing Asian countries have taken care of the very near proximity (outside of the resort) at least. As you can see by the photographs the rubbish is substantial and we have alot more pics then we posted but it needed to be said. Resorts which are commercial ventures need to have some nearby community mindedness - other areas in Vietnam did not have this much rubbish just next to their resorts.

Across the roadway to the right is a lovely family run restaurant which is cheap and great value for dinners $10 for 2 people - and you get change.

As you walk out and across the roadway to the left is also another restaurant but due to the smell coming from the front roadway entrance to the resort and in particular the large numbers of blow flys during every day we were there, made it virtually impossible to eat at that restaurant - so for lunches we traveled into the town to eat. (see pics of the fly's to show just how bad they were - and that was with fly/insect repellent on us and also the repellent bottle sitting on the table in front of us as well.) We did try that restaurant a couple of times over our stay but was always the same - smell from the front fo the resort and fly infestation.

All in all we got the room cheap - so you get what you pay for I suppose.
On checkout the resort failed to have any feedback forms, both in the room and when we asked at the checkout counter - hence the more then usual description placed in here.

Also be aware room service we did try - lovely in house food - good value to - but the waiter insisted on cash payment - repeatedly might I add - and when we tried to inform him we wanted to place the charge on our room he was not happy - I believe he thought he would be missing out on a tip we would usually give. Again you get what you pay for!

We travel now up to eight times per year across Asia and we now only report on Tripadvisor if issues need to be highlighted that assist our other friends and travellers - hopefully this helps others.

Regards
Oztravellers

Room Tip: Ask for a beach facing room - but you will pay for it
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank oztravelers1975
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for your comments.

I am genuinely disappointed, however, that you did not enjoy your stay and that you "would not have stayed at this resort in full price." Although we were renovating the pool during part of your stay and, therefore, gave you a full 70% discount for your ten day stay, I am flabbergasted that you felt it was not even worth that price, given the quality of food, the number of facilities and the amount of services we provide.

Your major complaint seems to concern the smell from the empty lot near our resort. In the seven years that I have managed the Pandanus, no one else has ever complained about what you refer to as a "severe...smell of sewer". The entrance of the resort and the empty adjacent lot is over 200 meters from any accommodation, so evidently the 'severe odor' is not noticed by any other guest.

We do have a zero tolerance policy for garbage, so the resort itself is always very clean, as is attested to by many previous reviewers. When I read your comment, I sent our landscape staff to the adjacent property to clean up any garbage and they reported back that there is none at the moment. From time to time, the local restaurants do throw their garbage at the edge of the empty lot near our resort, but it is usually picked up by either the government garbage collectors or by our staff. Perhaps the restaurant in which you could not eat due to the many flies is one that was responsible for the garbage in your picture.

I have relayed your comment about service in our restaurant at breakfast to the employees, in the hope that we will not receive similar comments in future.

We normally place comment cards in all of our guest rooms, so I'm not quite sure why you did not find one. I have mentioned your comments to both our housekeeping manager and our front office manager to make sure that every room has the cards and that the front desk staff give guests comment sheets when requested.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

We stayed at the Pandanus for 8 nights after travelling by train from Ho Chi Minh city. The train journey was relaxing and enjoyable and when we arrived at the train station in Mui Ne it was easy to get a taxi to the resort. Check in was easy and we were provided with a refreshing welcome drink and cold towels which were well appreciated in the heat. Very pleasant reception staff especially Miss Ross who spoke very good English which was a big help especially when you are tired from travelling. The first few nits we stayed in a family room which was a fantastic big room and very comfortable, we moved to a bungalow after 3 nights as the bungalow had not been available when we first arrived. The bungalow was lovely, however not as much space as the family room we had previously, but the bungalow was closer to the beach and the swimming pool. It was very quiet when we stayed as it was low season and we often had the pool and the dining room to ourselves ! It did get busier at the weekend with the Vietnamese spending the weekend away from the city. The food in the restaurant was always of a very high standard every time we ate there and could not fault any of the dining experiences. We had breakfast at the hotel most mornings and the extensive choice of food means there is always something to suit all tastes and nationalities.. Try the Vietnamese banana cake... Delicious! My only small suggestion for improvement would be that the hotel say breakfast is served until 10am, however we noticed that the staff started to clear away the food at around 9.40 and so if you arrived between 9.45 - 10.00 you may not be offered the same choice as they had started to clear away and it felt as if you were being hurried away. If it serves until 10 then they should not be clearing away until after this time, small moan from us who liked to sleep a bit longer on holiday! We used the free shuttle bus from the hotel down in to Mui Ne on a few occasions, and there are a few nice shops in the Village and some nice restaurants, however our favourite little place for a sandwich and salad was Sinbads, check it out you won't be disappointed. The staff at the Pandanus were the most friendly staff we encountered on our travels around Vietnam and this is a huge benefit of this hotel, they could not have been more helpful and we were continually touched by the kindness and respect shown. One word of caution if you react badly to insect bites (I do) there are sand flies in Mui Ne! Which I found out too late.... The little assassins totally went to town on me and I was covered in horrible bites which blistered badly. The hotel did supply cream for me and a nurse to see to them one day as it was so bad... I lost an entire day as the bites were so bad I could not leave the room. If you react to bites take tropical strength insect repellent as you cannot buy that strength anywhere in Mui Ne as we travelled by motorbike all over looking for some when ours run out and the locally sold mosquito repellent does not work... Be warned! Every evening the resident band play at the poolside and they are also very welcoming and friendly and chatted to us every night asking for requests. When we checked out the hotel had per-booked us seats on the bus to Nha-Trang, this was no problem and bus arrived at roughly the time it was supposed to, check out was simple. Can recommend this resort for a relaxing couples retreat or a family holiday... Just come prepared for the pesky sandflies (which we never encountered anywhere else in Vietnam by the way)

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Donna M
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel. We had a bungalow near to the beach and pool complete with a small patio/terrace and its own coconut tree. The room itself was perfectly adequate and we did not feel cramped by the extra bed that we had for our son. The grounds the hotel are set in are wonderful and very well looked after. The swimming pool is huge – much bigger than those in some of the other hotels we stayed in. The food is great: excellent breakfast and a nice selection for lunch and dinner. All the staff are very friendly and seem to want to help you. There is a mini bus to the main resort strip a couple of times a day as well as a free trip to the local fish market and the village of Mui Ne. The fish market really is extraordinary and is well worth getting up early to see. You get back to the hotel about 8, just in time for breakfast. Don’t forget the free daily cheese and wine party each afternoon at 1730. I can thoroughly recommend the place. The sea is great as well.

After a hectic trip to Cambodia, then HCMC and Nha Trang this place was just what we wanted: totally relaxing.

A couple of words of caution.

If you get the hotel to arrange a bus ticket for you make sure that they have done it. We paid for tickets to Ho Chi Minh City and were assured that the tickets were booked. After sitting around for an hour waiting for the bus the front desk finally admitted they had forgotten to buy the tickets. No question of language difficulties here: one of us speaks Vietnamese. To be fair to them they did arrange for us to catch another bus but as a result we missed an appointment in HCMC.

Secondly, AVOID the thieves in taxis at the front gate. We wanted to go to Mui Ne village the evening we arrived but Taxi driver decided to take us to the resort area with a load of lies about there being no restaurants in the village. He was simply after a bigger fare - 200,000 VND. We should have got out but by the time we realised his tricks we were some distance from the hotel on a dark lonely dual carriageway.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow close to the ocean
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Hepatacyte
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I had such a fantastic time at Panadanus that I've already booked another stay there for next month. I'm an expat living in HCMC, so being able to get away from the hustle and bustle to a place like this is such a dream come true.

The resort is huge, with beautiful gardens, trees, flowers, etc. With all that greenery it smells FANTASTIC. I did not witness the fish smell that some reviewers complained about. The pool is beautiful and peaceful, that's where we spent most of our time. The beach is clean and large. I've been to other resorts in Mui Ne that had no beach, the water came right up to resorts' back steps. I've been to another that had a small tiny beach, but it was rocky and the water was way too rough to play around. The only thing that kept us out of the ocean water were HUGE jellyfish. I'm not sure if they are the stinging variety so I steered clear. Obviously, that's not the resorts' fault!

The food and drinks are good (I had lasagna, beef pho, a chicken burger, etc), a tiny bit overpriced, but most resorts are. The first day I stayed there the breakfast was fantastic! Crispy bacon, Potatoes Au Gratin, salami and cheese, spicy chili-rice...the next day was a public holiday and the breakfast suffered a tad. No potatoes, floppy, oily bacon, no salami (strange Vietnamese bologna instead), etc. I understand the kitchen was probably trying to suit the local's tastes, but my friends and I (I'm American, they are British, my fiancé is Nigerian) were a little disappointed, because our expectations had been set high from the day before. However, it was the only complaint I have about my entire stay! The staff is so friendly and helpful. They even held my 6 month old for me and kept her occupied when I was trying to eat my pho.

The room (superior) was nice and spacious. My fiancé, baby and I all slept comfortably all night in the king-sized bed! So peaceful and relaxing. If you are active, there are lot of fun options at the resort- gym, volleyball (grass and beach), tennis, even a little football pitch! Or you can just run on the beach. The resort is about a 150,000vnd ($7) cab ride from the touristy "Strip" which is not bad at all. I'm confused by the other reviewers complaining about that. Or, you can take a Xe Om (motorbike taxi), for 50,000 ($2.50!). But I hardly felt any desire to leave paradise at Pandanus Resort! I'm putting that this sort of trip was a family vacation, but it can be a romantic place, or a place to come with friends.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Emmyjean,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your wonderful review of the Pandanus Resort.

We have just replaced our executive chef, so I will give your comments about breakfast on the second day of your stay to our new staff member in the hope that this type of thing will not happen again. Although we do change the menu for breakfast on public holidays in order to cater to our many Vietnamese guests, we should always have potato dishes and western sausages available for our European customers.

I look forward to meeting you at our wine and cheese reception next month when you return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mui Ne
Anantara Mui Ne Resort
Anantara Mui Ne Resort
#9 of 129 in Phan Thiet
Sandunes Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Pandanus Resort? Share your experiences!