“Everything we wanted!!”

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Mui Ne
Essex
“Everything we wanted!!”
Reviewed 13 December 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 10 day stay at the Pandanus.We had a family room which was spacious and very clean,toiletries were replaced daily and could not fault .The hotel staff are so welcoming and friendly which is so nice to see.The breakfast is great and caters for all needs from western to Asian ,Ate in the restaurant at night and also ate at the beachside restaurant during the day,the food is of top quality and fairly priced (a little more expensive but as all hotels are).The gardens etc are immaculately kept and look fantastic.The cheese and wine greet is worth a visit(I'm just sorry I found it so late ..Steve).
The resort area of Mui Ne is hit an miss as far as restaruants go ,so I advise that you do your homework first,the hotel organise a shuttle bus to and from or you can get the public bus which run by every 10 mins or so .Only drawback is that the buses stop after 9 so if you want a late drink etc then you will need to get a taxi back but not a major issue.
All in all a wonderful stay and would recommend for a relaxing break .

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank aylott817
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this review, 14 December 2013
Aylott,

Thank you for your fabulous review and think you for staying with us.

After you mentioned that you would have preferred to take our all-inclusive program, I checked to see why it was not offered. The company in Vietnam that your travel agent in England booked through claimed that they always offer it, but the English agency evidently did not have it on offer.

Because of your comment regarding our wine and cheese reception, I have changed the wording on the invitation given to all incoming guests to inform them that it is not only free wine and cheese every day, but also a chance to learn about the activities and facilities in and around the resort.

Thank you, again, and I hope you have the opportunity to return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
oxford uk
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We are staying here as I write!
This hotel is beautifully located on a fabulous beach with rough sea! Overall it's very good. We travel a lot and as 4 stars go, it has pleasant, if slightly shabby rooms, comfy beds and ok bathrooms. Breakfast is fine, there are plenty of sun loungers, the gardens are tropical and well maintained. The tennis court is better than most, but does a bit of a dip running across on side! The not so good bits are the inexperienced staff. On two mornings are breakfast table has been completely cleared whilst we are at the buffet, so we return with our scrambled eggs and find an empty table. By the time this sorted, everything is cold. I ordered a salad and it came with half the listed ingredients missing. When I pointed this out, the staff seemed to know there was problem, but were, presumably hoping I wouldn't notice. The swimming pool towels are strictly limited to one per person. I have strained my neck so asked for an extra towel and was treated very rudely by the attendant. There is a constant humming noise in our room which,despite reporting, is ongoing.
Final gripe, housekeeping don't replace any used items from the bathroom, eg shower gel!
The average age here is over 60...we don't mind that, but would say that if you enjoy going out of the hotel and/or are young/young at heart...stay in The tourist area of Mui Ne (Ham Tien). 20 mins away. The hotel runs a complimentary mini bus, but you need to book as it's often full.
We have another 5 nights here, before Cambodia and Thailand. I will review again if my opinion should change!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Caroline,

Thank you for your review and thank you for staying at the Pandanus Resort.

Most reviews are written after a guest leaves, so by writing the review while you are still in the resort, you have given us the opportunity to rectify problems before your departure. After reading your comments this morning, I met with all of the managers of the departments involved and asked for their feedback.

The reason that the staff cleaned your table while you were taking additional items from the buffet was that they thought you had finished your breakfast. As you know, our restaurant is quite large, so our staff don't always notice when guests walk to another area of the restaurant. Often guests will get up from the table and leave items that they do not want to eat, so the staff evidently assumed that was the case. I have asked the restaurant manager to have his staff be more careful and to make sure that a guest has left the restaurant before removing any items except empty plates or glasses from the table.

I mentioned your comment about the salad to our executive chef. He is checking to see to which salad you are referring. As the wait staff are not responsible for preparing the dishes, I'm sure that their reaction was not that they were hoping you did not notice, but rather disappointment that the salad was not as described. For the past two nights, the executive chef has not been in the restaurant, so obviously one of our kitchen staff members fell down on the job and the chef was not there to check.

We do have a policy of only providing one towel per guest at the pool. This policy was created after we constantly ran out of clean towels in the high season when guests were allowed to take as many as they wished. Often, a guest would take as many as six towels during the day, so by mid afternoon, we had run out of clean towels to give to newly arriving guests. However, there is no excuse for rude behaviour, so I do apologize that you were not treated with the utmost respect. I have told the security manager in charge of the pool staff to give guests a second towel if they insist and to do so with a smile.

The humming noise in your building is caused by an air conditioner from another room. As there is not much we are able to do about this, I have asked my front office staff to move you to a bungalow when one is available.

It is, of course, our policy to replace any items in the bathroom that have previously been used by guests when housekeeping staff clean the rooms each day. I don't know why yours were not replaced, but I apologize and have told my housekeeping manager to have the staff pay more attention and notice when items need to be replaced.

Again, I would like to thank you for staying with us and I hope that the rest of your visit is without incident.
Ludhiana, India
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Pandanus Resort! The gardens are widespread and well cared for. We enjoyed walking around the gorgeous lawns and serene beaches every day enjoying the beauty all around us. The pool area was beautiful with plenty of beach chairs and the ocean was great for swimming. Although not large, we loved the beach. The manager's reception each night with free wine and cheese was nice and the manager gave us many great tips about the area. The Christmas Eve Gala around the pool was amazing. The staff, although many of them did not speak English fluently, was friendly and helpful. There were many small touches that made our stay special such as the fresh flowers in our room each day and the turn down service each night with information about the area left on our pillows. The cooking class the hotel offered was a lot of fun and very cheap. Overall a great place for massive time.

Room Tip: Beach bungalows are the best place to stay
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed there with my son and another friend. I spent my time on the beach and in the sea and they varied between that and the large pool. The gardens are lovely and the staff attentive.

I much prefer Mui Ne to Ham Tien and the red dunes for sand sliding are only 5 minutes walk away.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Just back last Sunday from staying at Pandanus Resort. The grounds are huge, beautifully landscaped and well maintained. Our room was all we could ask for. There was a choice of cottages or rooms. The lounges, dining room etc. had an exquisite artistic touch. The food was excellent, lots of variety. (bring an extra tea bag for tea lovers like myself.)
The staff were exceptionally helpful, especially the director of extra curricular activities and tours, Rosi. I appreciated her well spoken English.
The fishing village is a treat in close proximity with all its colourful boats. At night we could see their lights in the distance, like a city. Atti and the band were excellent entertainers. If we were back in Viet Nam we'd return!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The hotel was very enjoyable, we traveled during the slow season so there were maybe 3 other groups of people at the resort. The beach is awesome, the pool is great, the grounds are beautiful. In addition to the normal amenities they have a grass basketball court (cool!), a volleyball court, badminton and swings/playground.

One night there was a live band, and given it was slow season, my GF and I sat by the pool and got our own private concert from the likes of the Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna etc etc etc. The people in the band were very nice and they took requests and chatted with us during their break, really wonderful people. They were from Manila and their English was perfect and their singing was fantastic!

The only negative thing I'd have to say about the hotel is that it is in a fairly isolated area, so it is difficult to go out away from the resort if you do not have a motorbike or a car and don't know exactly where you're going.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Kevin,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for writing such a complimentary review.

However, I'm quite surprised at your final comment, that the Pandanus Resort is isolated. We are located just one kilometer from a town of 22,000 people, with more than a dozen restaurants and some shops all located just across the street, or within a five to ten minute walk of the resort. On the other side of the resort, just 300 meters away, is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the area; the orange sand dunes. If one does wish to go to either Phan Thiet city center or to a beach bar or restaurant in Ham Tien or Suoi Nuoc, one may take a public bus from the entrance of the resort. They operate from 6AM until 9PM, coming by about every ten to fifteen minutes, at a cost of less than US$1.00.
Aussies on the eastern side
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We recently stayed at the Resort for about 10 nights. Inside the resort is very nice and good value. Cocktails and food all great - too much to choose. The breakfast is huge although unless there is western management walking around the service is virtually nil at breakfast time.

The pool was allocated for refurbishment during our period of stay so we received a discount - I would not have stayed at this resort in full price time when comparing to other 3* 4* & 5* resorts we have stayed at in Vietnam in the past four years we have been traveling to the country.

Inside the resort is great - lots of staff - large areas etc - once you walk past the main entrance and past the end of the entrance driveway to the roadside there is an absolutely consistent awful smell of Sewer - NOT fish as others have described in the past posts and direct to us in messages prior to our travel. Every day this smell was there.
We know that is the smell of sewer as we walked with one of the local families we made friends with in the area and they showed us the problem.

The resort is out of the way - but you know that before attending and it is a great peaceful location.
We walked around all of the roadways in the vicinity and its great for fitness and to see the neighbourhood - and there is lots to see including fish drying further along from the resort, and little shops and homes.

We attended the Resort's wine and cheese evening and were informed of the local bus to the main section of the city by management which was alot easier and extremely good value - $1AUD each way and leaves out the front of the Resort very very regularly!!

The resort itself is clean within, but there is certainly no action taken by the resort or management to clean up just in front to the immediate outsides of the resort which was disappointing to see. Other mainstream resorts in the past we have stayed at in Vietnam and other developing Asian countries have taken care of the very near proximity (outside of the resort) at least. As you can see by the photographs the rubbish is substantial and we have alot more pics then we posted but it needed to be said. Resorts which are commercial ventures need to have some nearby community mindedness - other areas in Vietnam did not have this much rubbish just next to their resorts.

Across the roadway to the right is a lovely family run restaurant which is cheap and great value for dinners $10 for 2 people - and you get change.

As you walk out and across the roadway to the left is also another restaurant but due to the smell coming from the front roadway entrance to the resort and in particular the large numbers of blow flys during every day we were there, made it virtually impossible to eat at that restaurant - so for lunches we traveled into the town to eat. (see pics of the fly's to show just how bad they were - and that was with fly/insect repellent on us and also the repellent bottle sitting on the table in front of us as well.) We did try that restaurant a couple of times over our stay but was always the same - smell from the front fo the resort and fly infestation.

All in all we got the room cheap - so you get what you pay for I suppose.
On checkout the resort failed to have any feedback forms, both in the room and when we asked at the checkout counter - hence the more then usual description placed in here.

Also be aware room service we did try - lovely in house food - good value to - but the waiter insisted on cash payment - repeatedly might I add - and when we tried to inform him we wanted to place the charge on our room he was not happy - I believe he thought he would be missing out on a tip we would usually give. Again you get what you pay for!

We travel now up to eight times per year across Asia and we now only report on Tripadvisor if issues need to be highlighted that assist our other friends and travellers - hopefully this helps others.

Regards
Oztravellers

Room Tip: Ask for a beach facing room - but you will pay for it
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank oztravelers1975
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments.

I am genuinely disappointed, however, that you did not enjoy your stay and that you "would not have stayed at this resort in full price." Although we were renovating the pool during part of your stay and, therefore, gave you a full 70% discount for your ten day stay, I am flabbergasted that you felt it was not even worth that price, given the quality of food, the number of facilities and the amount of services we provide.

Your major complaint seems to concern the smell from the empty lot near our resort. In the seven years that I have managed the Pandanus, no one else has ever complained about what you refer to as a "severe...smell of sewer". The entrance of the resort and the empty adjacent lot is over 200 meters from any accommodation, so evidently the 'severe odor' is not noticed by any other guest.

We do have a zero tolerance policy for garbage, so the resort itself is always very clean, as is attested to by many previous reviewers. When I read your comment, I sent our landscape staff to the adjacent property to clean up any garbage and they reported back that there is none at the moment. From time to time, the local restaurants do throw their garbage at the edge of the empty lot near our resort, but it is usually picked up by either the government garbage collectors or by our staff. Perhaps the restaurant in which you could not eat due to the many flies is one that was responsible for the garbage in your picture.

I have relayed your comment about service in our restaurant at breakfast to the employees, in the hope that we will not receive similar comments in future.

We normally place comment cards in all of our guest rooms, so I'm not quite sure why you did not find one. I have mentioned your comments to both our housekeeping manager and our front office manager to make sure that every room has the cards and that the front desk staff give guests comment sheets when requested.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mui Ne
Bamboo Village Beach Resort & Spa
Mia Resort Mui Ne
Mia Resort Mui Ne
#3 of 123 in Phan Thiet

Been to Pandanus Resort? Share your experiences!