“Nice big resort right by the sea” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pandanus Resort

Pandanus Resort
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Mui Ne
Bangkok, Thailand
“Nice big resort right by the sea”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

Good, standard rooms which were kept well cleaned. Pool and the beach were superb. Breakfast was excellent. Lovely service. One recommendation: maybe there could be a transfer provided by the hotel to the train station (and from the train station to the hotel).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Marianns8
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Marianns,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us.

Just so you know the next time you come to the Pandanus, we do provide transfers to and from the train station. You just have to ask at the front desk or send an email before you arrive. The email address is fom@pandanusresort.com.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I wish I could give 3 and a half for a hotel that was "Good" with many positive points but with room for improvement. On the positive side, our room was kept clean but could be given a bit of updating, e.g., bathroom. Restaurant and bar staff were friendly and attentive. The grounds were beautifully kept. The pool area was clean and a pleasure to use. The beach area for the hotel was also clean, in contrast to the rest of the beach which was full of litter. We enjoyed the pool lunchtime specials on a number of days and always found them excellent value for money. Breakfasts were always a pleasure and the hotel managed to avoid the cafeteria feel which you sometimes get when catering for large numbers. One small suggestion; provide ironing boards.
The main area for improvement, for us,was the evenings, when the hotel became deserted and soulless. There is a large bar area, which should be the focal point, but most guests seemed to disappear to use the local restaurants. There was entertainment provided but this was tired and dated, even for someone in their fifties! I recognise that it is difficult to provide entertainment for an international clientele, and the Filipino band did work hard with their audience, but would have to give a "could do better" on that point.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Adrian,

Thank you for your review and thank you for staying with us. I'm sorry that you did not feel that we deserved a higher rating, however, so I wanted to respond to some of your comments.

Regarding your comment about the rooms needing updating, we agree. After ten years in operation, the resort rooms and facilities will undergo a complete renovation and upgrade this year. Because the resort is so large, this renovation will be done one building at a time, during our low season, without disturbing the in-house guests. All guests will be assigned to rooms that are located a good distance away from any that are undergoing renovation and no work will be done at night..

Ironing boards and irons are provided to all guests free of charge. However, guests must call the reception to ask for them to be delivered to the rooms.

You are correct that many guests dine at restaurants on the street in front of the resort. However, the resort does not become entirely deserted and I don't believe it is 'soulless'. Ours is the only resort in Phan Thiet with three types of nightly entertainment. A Cham band performs traditional Cham music in our main restaurant six nights a week. Our in-house Filipino Band, 'Stardust', which performs six nights a week at our poolside bar, is widely considered to be the very best Filipino band in southern Vietnam, with a repertoire of hundreds of songs from the 1950's to the present. Our 'crooner', who sings in our central lounge and who you referred to as "tired and dated" is extremely popular with most of our guests, especially our older guests. Atti has been performing since he was eight years old and was formerly the stand-in drummer for the Beatles when Ringo was absent. We refer to him as a crooner because he does specialize in the songs from the 1950's, '60's and 70's.

If you have read some comments from previous guests, you will notice that both Atti and Stardust are highly appreciated and loved by most. I'm sorry that you are not among their fans.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My family arrived at Pandanus Resort on Friday after a hectic four days in both Saigon and Can Tho. Our train got in just before lunch and we grabbed a taxi and came straight here. We don't want to leave!!
The grounds are lush and green and excellently maintained. There is a choice of tennis, volleyball, b'ball, soccer if you feel so inclined OR there is the pristine pool and beach to lie by.
My family stayed in the family room which has a separate bedroom for us and the kids room is part of the lounge room. We both had separate bathrooms.
Breakfast is plentiful. We ate lunch once by the pool and dinner we always went out so cannot comment on the dinners.
There is not a great deal to see around the area and we have really used this time to chill out and rest up. I am feeling that we should have made this our last stop. ( next time)!!
The staff always have smile for you and make you feel right at home.
Steve, you have a wonderful resort here and we have thoroughly enjoyed our stay and not looking forward to leaving on Wednesday. Thanks you also for all the information and knowledge I have gained from you on TA. I hope we can come back again and enjoy this wonderful resort.
Sandra & Family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Spoz
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Sadly we could only stay two nights. We discovered this resort at the very end of our three months of travel in South East Asia. Arrived hot and dusty after a two day cycle from Dalat. We were welcomed with cold juice and an invitation to the wine and cheese reception, where the manager went out of his way to let us know about all the facilities available and even mentioned that there are restaurants nearby if you don't want to eat at the resort. In other words - not pushy. The grounds are amazing - gorgeous and serene. Lots of facilities for small children, beautiful beach and huge swimming pool with a large shallow end. We booked a bungalow - it was large and very well serviced, with a nice private deck. Definitely worth the upgrade. The buffet breakfast was outstanding, service in the restaurant was very attentive. Cham musicians playing in the restaurant during dinner were very good. Front desk staff was very helpful in getting us train tickets and taxis. Can't say anything negative about this resort except that seeing all the young children having such a great time made us miss our grandchildren more - we will hope to be able to bring them next time.

Room Tip: If you can afford the upgrade, go for the bungalow
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Tønsberg, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We, a family of 2 adults and on 7 year old boy, had the pleasure of staying at the Pandanus Resort in Mui Ne for almost three weeks this February. We had Bungalow 106 - probably the one with the best location, if you like to be close to the sea and the pool. The bungalow was spacious, clean and had all the facilities we needed - and more. We liked it a lot. As for the rest of the resort, we have a lot of positive things to point out - and a few not so positive. Lets start with the good stuff! The area: beautiful gardens, always clean and well kept. The staff - always helpful, service minded, met you with a smile. Rossilini was just excellent - always concerned about your well being and always helping out. The breakfast buffet was very nice - on of the best I've seen compared with similar resorts. After you have eaten your breakfast, you can buy a bag of fish food, to make sure the fishes in the "stair pool" get their breakfast, too - my kid made sure of that every morning! The pool - big and clean - and enough sunbeds - really never need for a fight to capture one, as at many other places. And then there's the SPA. And if you come from a country that services like that is VERY expensive - don't miss out the SPA at Pandanus. Very cute, nice and skilled ladies (and guys). I had about 8 massages over the stay, in addition to both manicures and pedicures, and it was worth every minute and dong - at very affordable prices. The beach: Mui Ne is a paradise for surfers and kiters, and what does that tell you? Yes, it is obviously a place with wind - and quite strong wind at times. Most of the days it was just comfortable also for non-surfers and -kiters. A couple of days it was just too much. But that's the way it is. So: on the beach, there is a lot of waves, and therefor not so very suitable for small children. But for a little older children - together with an adult - it is a lot of fun. And there is always a flag with initial colour which tells you how far out you should (or should not) go. And while we are at the beach - sandflies. Lots of them, so if you tend to get a lot of mosquito bites, you should use repellent - and have liniments available. The staff can detox your room on request. I've read some complaints about the location of the resort - that is so far from "the strip". So... didn't you look up the location before you booked the place, or what? If partying isn't the number one for you, Pandanus have a great location. There are both restaurants and a few small shops - and an ATM - right outside the resort, so really you don't need anything else. And if you want to go to Ham Thien (the strip), there's is a shuttlebus once in the morning and three times in the afternoon. It has only 11 seats, so you better book it one day in advance. The bus back in the evening is big, so don't worry about that. So what was not so good: it wouldn't hurt to get a bigger shuttlebus, at least at the peek season. I don't think that a small bus keeps the residents at the resorts restaurant. If the bus was full, we most of the times either went to one of the restaurants on the other side of the street - or took a taxi to Ham Thien. One other thing that we got a little disappointed over: the BBQ at the pool, arranged a couple of evening every week. Unfortunately, it was not too impressive - and thus, too expensive - no good value for money. So we only did that once during our stay. And I have to mention the beds - but after travelling in Asia several times and places, this seem to be the case, not the exception: why can't you have a LITTLE bit softer beds? This is not the worst I've experienced, not by far - but a little bit more comfy matrass wouldn't hurt...

In general: Pandanus Resort gets our best recommendations, and if I ever return to Mui Ne, I will without doubt stay there again. Thanks to all the staff at Pandans Resort that made our stay a pleasant stay!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank LivR67
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
LivR67,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for staying with us in January,

I would just like to respond to a couple of your comments.

My apologies for the fact that you felt the evening buffet was not too impressive. We do try to make it as nice as possible with lots of items from both western and Asian countries.

Regarding the mattresses, you are correct that the mattresses in Vietnam tend to be a bit hard. However, whether or not this is a good thing depends on the person. Some people like hard mattresses. Just last week, a guest asked us to replace his mattress because he thought it wasn't hard enough. On the other hand, my grandmother used to sleep on a feather bed that was so soft, when I laid down, I sank into the mattress and it almost covered me. There was no way I could sleep on such a bed, but my grandmother couldn't sleep on one with a regular mattress.

Thank you, again, for choosing the Pandanus Resort and I do hope that you will return one day.
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

Due to weather being a bit shaky after the big earthquake in Japan me and my friends decided to leave Nah Trang and not go further north seeking for sun. We decided upon Mui Ne and booked ourselves into this resort. Due to no airport available we decided to take a bus (There is good companies in Vietnam do your research before leaving for Mui Ne). Due to a chain smoking driver we where very late but had already informed that we would need checking after midnight. I inquired about their services for food during this hour and to my suprise they had the restaurant open. It was superb to be able to enjoy a late night dinner after a horrible bus trip and to my suprise of very high quality. The room was of good standard and clean. The location is a bit off from central Mui Ne but just take around 10 minutes with taxi.

Like most hotels in Vietnam that I learned you should never go for a extra bed because they seem to be made of wood. That is the only negative thing I encountered at this resort other then the quite meager but expensive Christmas eve dinner.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank h0ly
SteveMuiNe_Vietnam, General Manager at Pandanus Resort, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Holy,

Thank you for staying with us and for writing a favorable review of the resort.

As I have done with previous reviewers, I would like to correct your comments regarding our location. We are located in Mui Ne, just across the cape and one kilometer from the town of Mui Ne. The tourist strip that you have referred to as Mui Ne is, in fact, Ham Tien ward. It is not a town, but rather a strip of resorts, restaurants, shops, etc that stretch for ten kilometers along a single road from Mui Ne to Phu Hai ward.

I am surprised that you felt that our Christmas dinner was "meager but expensive". Dinner consisted of turkey, ham, roast beef, salmon, oysters on the half shell, lobster and dozens of salads, soups and desserts. It included entertainment provided by the International Choir from Saigon, as well as our own Stardust band and free flow of wine throughout the evening. All of this for only US $60.00. In comparison to the prices and offerings at other resorts in Phan Thiet, I think that ours is quite a bargain.

Thank you, again, for your review and I hope that you will have the opportunity to return some day.
Fort Washington, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Steve and his reservations folks worked a miracle to get four of us in when they were basically full. Eventually they shuffled things so we were in a family suite for a week. Well designed, well maintained, cleaned thoroughly every day, comfortable beds, quiet, good air conditioning. Hard to believe that 46 years earlier I was getting shot at near here!
Anyway, excellent beach, cleaned constantly. Wind picks up in afternoon, so best swimming usually in morning. Large pool, plenty of lounges, with bar and restaurant convenient to both beach and pool. Service throughout resort was fantastic, but especially good in the two restaurants. Buffets were superb! A la carte was even better.
Daughters loved the tailor shop!
Spa was only spot less than outstanding. Need some training and or better management there.
Several commented in earlier reviews on Atti, the assistant manager, solo singer, quality controller for the food-an all around take care of everything kind of guy who was generous with his time with all. Hope he is there next time we get to Vietnam, because we will be returning here.

Room Tip: Face the ocean so you can live through the sunrises!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Bamboo Village Beach Resort & Spa
Mia Resort Mui Ne
Mia Resort Mui Ne
#3 of 122 in Phan Thiet

Been to Pandanus Resort? Share your experiences!