“The Best wildlife centre in Devon - a wonderful experience”

Tamar Otter and Wildlife Centre
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Launceston
Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“The Best wildlife centre in Devon - a wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

You get more than you may think at this wild life park - fallow deer, joeys, otters, peacocks, owls birds and so much more. Parking is free stony with unfortunately potholes! Entry is easy but alas no discount for students but there is for OAP's. The cafe can be used by non payers too and it is ok for a snack with wooden benches which are kept clean. Wear good shoes which may get muddy! There are talks a few times during the day about the otters (some smell) and a display of owls and birds but the best animal in my opinion are the fallow deer. Buy a bag of deer food or bird food (donation of 50p or more) and hand feed the deer - a remarkable experience if you can feed them without them taking the bag and feeding themselves - they are beautiful and so well looked after. Then onwards to the Joeys and their babies in pouches. The wild cats are trying to mate so you may see a baby wild cat when you go. The peacocks are so colourful and the birds whistle and call so you can't miss them out. The staff wearing green tops are friendly and knowledgable about all the animals. A sink to wash your hands is available but I suggest you take alcoholic hand sanitising hand gel.
Toilets separate around the corner - need to be kept cleaner.

Letchworth, United Kingdom
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“A Whole Otter Fun (Just Had To)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Visit the Tamar Otter & Wildlife Centre today with a group of others. Didn't get there in time for the bird talk but arrived just in time for the otter talk - which was delivered excellently by a red headed girl (can't remember her name) who was extremely friendly and stayed to chat to us afterwards.

All the animals had decent sized enclosures and the otters in particular were great fun to watch for more time than I care to admit. Watching them feed up close and personal is also well worth the trip too.

We also managed to see the scottish wildcat and feed the deer, who were friendly. We managed to get some great pictures as we were around for deer feeding time too.

Recommended for adults and children alike!

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

We visited on Monday afternoon as a last minute decision and had a truly lovely few hours. All the animals and birds were easy to see without feeling like their enclosures were too small and the staff were very friendly, informative and helpful. We had the opportunity to feed the otters which was huge fun and learnt a lot about them, the birds of prey and the other wildlife. Definitely worth making the effort to wander through the deer enclosure as we saw some beautiful ones as well as a wild cat, wallabies and others. The walk past the quarry was also magical and we were lucky enough to be walking back through when the deer were being fed so we got quite close and got some lovely photos. Particular thanks must go to the young lady who gave the talk on the birds of prey, then took us around the otters and also showed us the baby polecats!

England
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Otter sanctuary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

The talk during the feeding of the otters was very interesting, and the animals are very endearing.
The wallabies in the woods are a joy to see.
A small boy was pulling the tail feathers out of one of the peacocks and his parents just let him do it, this was disgusting and I wish they would have been able to take a harsher stance with the parents, but without direct proof they couldn't.
The visit was well worth doing, and I would recommend it to others.

Visited May 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Otters, birds of prey AND a Scottish wildcat - a dream day out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect here, but decided to visit en route to a brief stay with relatives in Cornwall and it couldn't have been better. The talks (on the birds of prey and the otters) were extremely informative, and it was a privilege to be able to stroke the eagle and snowy owls, and a real thrill to have Jack the kestrel sit on my hand. The otters being fed provided great photo opportunities. The woodland walk is very lovely and peaceful, but I was extremely disappointed not to catch even a glimpse of a Scottish wildcat despite spending ~ 15 min peering all around their enclosure. However, I was in the shop just before leaving, and after a chat with John the owner decided to go back for another look - and was so glad that I did: one of the cats was sunning and washing itself on the logs near the front of the enclosure and I was able to watch and take photographs through the glass (what a great idea - no wire mesh to ruin the attempts of people like me who only use their cameras on 'point and shoot' to get great pictures!!) until the cat finally decided to stroll away. This was certainly the highlight of my visit, though the cafe was excellent too! I shall certainly visit again next time I'm in Cornwall.

1 Thank Sharon T