“Well Worth a Visit!”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Well Worth a Visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

After a morning on the beach, and with the tide coming in, we decided to visit the Tamar Otter centre after seeing a recommendation in the visitors' book at our holiday home. We were very glad we did. It was very quiet when we arrived, but the staff were friendly and welcoming.

We were just in time for the 2.30 p.m. birds of prey talk, which my 5 yr old daughter and 2 yr old son both found interesting. Both my daughter and I had a chance to hold a beautiful Harris Hawk called Skylar, one of my daughter's highlights of the holiday!

The otter talk at about 3.00 p.m. was also very interested - my son really took an interest in watching the various pens of otters feeding and diving in and out of their pools.

After the talks, we were free to wander around the pleasant woodland grounds, with Fallow and Muntjac deer roaming free and happy to feed from your hand.

We only spent about 2 hours there, and we were probably lucky that it was so quiet as it was a couple of days before the local schools broke up for Summer.

I'd certainly recommend a trip here if the tides, weather or sunburn mean you'd like to skip the beach for a morning or afternoon!

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“This Place is incredible! !!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We decided to go here for the morning this morning (31st July 2014). And my goodness, we stayed most of the day.

We paid £23 for a family ticket, which includes up to 3 kids which I didn't think was too bad (bearing in mind some places charge a lot more).

We then went and watched the talk on the birds of prey, my husband got to hold a very large snowy owl (which didn't seem to like him too much) and my kids got the opportunity to stroke every bird and even hold a smaller bird at the end. It was informative and also I must say that with two kids (7 and 4) the lady managed to keep them enthralled throughout the talk. Not once did they get fidgety or bored.

We then watched the otters being fed with was amazing from start to finish.

After that we ate lunch from the cafe, very reasonably priced and there was no delay at all for anyone (and the place was very busy).

We then went on the woodland walk and I have to say, I was rather overwhelmed by what we saw. The fallow deer were literally eating out of our hands, it was amazing. Plus there were wallabies, meerkats, Scottish wild cats and so much more....Look out for the three legged munjac deer too!

Absolutely brilliant brilliant brilliant!

These people clearly care about the animals, each and every one.

Go and visit, I promise, it's worth it!

Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting and great fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

A fantastic wildlife park - the birds of prey and otter feeding talks were really informative and interesting. The woodland walk with deer and wallabies was great and the deer will eat out of your hand. Our three year old daughter was fascinated by the otters especially and is still talking about handling Jack the kestrel three weeks later!
We went back for a second visit which says it all really. Nice cafe as well.

1 Thank PhilB20657
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place. An absolute must for anyone that loves animals!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Simply a fantastic place for both children and adults. I could have stood watching the baby otters for hours. The boys (aged 7 & 10) loved feeding the fallow deer and handling Jack the Kestrel. Great value for money, which all goes towards caring for the animals.

Partridge Green, United Kingdom
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Enjoyable visit. Loved the Otters”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Although not a huge place, I enjoyed my visit here. Make sure you catch the Bird of Prey talk, followed by the Otter feeds. They usually have five birds of prey that they talk about (although there are more dotted around in aviaries on the woodland walk), and you may be given a chance to hold one of them.

After that, they feed the Otters. They have two types of Otter here - the Asian Short-Clawed Otters (the smallest species, and very cute) and the larger British Otter. Each enclosure contains a different Otter family. They become very playful after they've been fed, so it's worth staying by the enclosures to see them playing.

The sanctuary also has a little herd of Fallow Deer (including what looks like a young stag), wallabies, Scottish Wildcats, and various birds including a white peacock. A nice place to visit, but do be warned - Otters are part of the same family as Stoats and Weasels, so they do have a rather pungent smell!

The cafe is very reasonably priced, but they really need more staff. I appreciate that everything is freshly made, but a half an hour for a sandwich was a little excessive. Also, the tables weren't cleared for quite a while. Such a shame that it was let down by this.

All in all though, a good place to take the kids for a few hours.