“needs upgrading”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Launceston
Par, United Kingdom
“needs upgrading”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

tired hotel needs upgrading rooms very basic steep stairs narrow corridors having said that the staff where very helpful food very good evening meals and breakfast bars not over priced and Launceston town its self was well worth seeing

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
darrenpeake, Owner at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Tony S

Thank you very much for taking the time to review The White Hart Hotel. We were pleased to see that overall you had a good stay with us. My wife and I are the new owners of the hotel and we are in the process of upgrading all of our rooms, though being an old hotel with plenty of history and with many guests staying here this will take some time to complete. We hope to see you as a returning guest in the future where you should be able to see some progress made.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately this hotel has lost it's way. It used to be 'the one' and has prime location in the town square. Times are hard there is not much choice in the area but we were surprised by how much it had changed. The front entrance when we arrived had not been cleaned for days,.....filthy carpet that had not seen Hoover and overflowing cigaret container....made me gag! For three days running, nothing changed. Very tired and worn in public spaces, everywhere was tired and sad condition. Sorry, but drastic changes required before we stay again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
darrenpeake, Owner at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for your review and valuable feedback.

I was disappointed to read your review and your impression of the hotel in general.

The reason we have to have the ashtray at the entrance, is due to there not being any smoking allowed inside the building, and that we are not allowed to mount any wall ashtrays to the exterior or porch the building due to council restrictions. I apologise if you found this distressing. I will investigate as to why the ashtray was 'overflowing' at that time.

I would be interested to hear your views on our service, quality of our accommodations and food during your stay with us. Although without further information it is unclear if you stayed at the hotel or called in to the hotel while in the area. If you wish you can contact me directly on darren.peake@whitehartlaunceston.co.uk and provide some further information, or respond directly to this reply here on Tripadvisor.

We took over the hotel a short time ago, and are working very hard to bring the property up to its former glory after a long period of neglect by the previous owner. This obviously takes time, and all our staff are focused on making our customers experience a good one.

I am sorry your visit did not live up to your expectations, but I hope this goes someway to explaining the situation relating to your comments.

Yours faithfully

Darren Peake
White Hart Hotel

Travellers are raving about these Launceston hotels

Bembridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Okay, it's an old coaching Inn which could badly do with a 'total refurb' However the staff were very friendly, no problems with the room, the breakfast was great, and it was good value for money.

Downside is that it has a small car park.

Room Tip: Don't book the luxury king size room, as it has a bath with no shower.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
darrenpeake, Owner at White Hart Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Maxcaddy,

Thank you for your review posted back in February. We are undergoing a massive refurbishment covering the whole hotel and this takes time with the age of the building and the amount of rooms within whilst at the same time trying not to cause too much disruption to our guests. The King size luxury room does only have a bath though this is appealing to a large number of our guests who request this room often. Those guests booking this room are always made aware that the luxury room does only offer a bath.
Pembroke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013

my partner and i was in launceston recently for the day out and decided we would like to stay for a long weekend before the run up to the busy xmas period. we decided to view a few hotels while we was there to get the real feel of a place rather than just booking online and being surprised when booking in !!! well when we walked in the white hart hotel we were greeted by the friendliest smile i had seen in a long long time .The receptionist name was karen , she answered our questions without making us feel in the way , and when we told her we was down for the day but looking to book a hotel in the next few weeks she even asked if we woud like to view any of the rooms, which we did view a double room,this is great and shows she has confidence in the hotel to show us a room without prior notice. when we informed her that we had travelled quite a way she made us a cuppa (down side no buscuits!).we believe that karen is an assett to the white hart. and will only be dealing with karen to book our room .we visited the hotel on 19 october,. we asked karen when she works so we could deal with her only and hopefully we will call her on mon to confirm our booking (commitments permitting). we will recommend this hotel without a doubt well done karen !

Room Tip: make sure you go in when karen is working .
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chezza444
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked 2 rooms in this hotel for a stay in late September 2013. One double and one for my daughter with a request that they be as close together as possible.
Setting off quite late to get to Cornwall from the Midlands we telephoned ahead to inform the hotel that we would possibly be late in arriving. The reply was we had to be there by 24.00hrs as the hotel would be locked up and there was no one available to let us in. We set off trusting there would be no traffic delays and arrived at 22.45 hrs to find the reception vacant. We then waited 10 minutes for some one to come and book us in. The rooms allocated, my daughter went in one direction and my wife and I went in another. The hotel is a myriad of corridors and stairs which all seem to require decorating and upgrading The rooms could have not been further apart if they had tried .First impression of the rooms was that they were in desperate need of a full renovation. Dark and dingy would be a understatement. Facilities were few , no hair dryer suspect carpets and furniture that was past its sell by date.
Our room overlooked a fairly busy road and the lack of double glazing was not appropriate to a good nights sleep
We decided to visit the bar for a drink and found the residents lounge was locked. We went into the bar ordered a drink and then sat on bench seats which were repaired with copious amounts of duct tape. The atmosphere within the bar area was not conducive to a relaxed drink.
The breakfast room was pleasantly decorated and clean and the breakfast was served in good time and hot. However the waitress had obviously not been issued with a clean uniform for some time.
Overall the impression is that the hotel needs a full renovation and upgrading of services.
We left after one night and booked into a far superior and pleasant hotel a short distance away.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank John M
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Couldn't believe that in 2013 a hotel room would not have a shower.
The bar seems to be used by the locals who were all very friendly but it was very noisey as was much of the town.
The staff were very polite but this place needs a huge amount of modernising to charge £70 a night.

• Stayed October 2013
Aberaeron, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I started to use this hotel back in 2002. It was a little tired back then but a good old fashioned place to stay. In the last year or so I have used it for business as I travel a lot. I had room 36 this visit. I found the staff friendly and the food was very good indeed. The bar did have a grubby feeling though and the seating was held together with Duck tape!
My room was large but again very dated indeed. I had a twin room. The mattress was dipping in the middle and the pillows felt lumpy. The room was ensuite but the bathroom had carpet fitted and I personally hate that for hygeine reasons. The carpet around the loo was dirty and stained. The sink was cracked but held water. The shower was electric but if you ran around under it you did eventually get wet.
If you are after a very old, tired, quirky, single glazed hotel then this is the one for you. As I say, the food was great and the staff brilliant but the state of the bar and accomodation let's it down. The price should have given me an indication I guess as it is not at all expensive.
The room I had also had a lot of traffic noise.
I do not want to give the place a terrible review as it had its good points but it's not for me when I next visit. I will be trying a different hotel when I return to Launceston in the near future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Launceston
Lifton Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portwrinkle
Lewtrenchard Manor
Lewtrenchard Manor
#1 of 1 in Lewdown

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!