“Lovely country B&B with a delicious breakfast”
Review of Craigadam

Craigadam
Edinburgh
“Lovely country B&B with a delicious breakfast”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

My partner booked two nights at Craigadam as a summer treat for us - and somewhere warm and dry to come back to if we got wet (and we did!) while pootling about in a motorcycle & sidecar. Craigadam is comfortable and beautifully-appointed, and we found the staff particularly kind and obliging. We were offered a life-saving cup of tea on arrival, which we enjoyed in the elegant drawing room. Breakfast was delicious, plentiful and of exceptional variety. Returning to the house after dinner on our first evening, we indulged in a game of billiards, assisted by a drink from the well-provisioned, unstaffed bar. Craigadam is relying on the honesty of their guests, asking only that you make a note of what you've had in the book. We liked this attitude very much.

From our point of view the only negatives were the absence of a shower in our bathroom, the difficulty of getting fresh air into our very warm bedroom, and the fact that the room (not in the main house) was located directly above a family kitchen, so rather noisy. This is not the place for a romantic evening in!

Don't miss the *fabulous* organic lamb produced by Craigadam, which you can enjoy not only if you have dinner in, but also at several nearby pubs. I have never tasted better.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Skylark42

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed at the Craigadam a few months ago, We were informed that the lady who owns the hotel was away for a few days. The rooms were large and well furnished, the bar and drawing room were light and airy. The chef cooked us a superb meal and reccomended an excellent wine to go with it. However I have to say the lady who served dinner could have been better attired, the low cut top left very little to ones imagination. Although breakfast (smoked salmon cured by the owner and scrambled eggs) was heavenly, i have to wonder whether putting juices etc out in your dressing gown gives the correct impression. Otherwise a very pleasant stay and hope to return one day.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris B
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Stayed on the way home fom a clay shooting trip and the company was extremely enjoyable the room was spotlessly clean as is shown in the pictures on the web site. How the family run a working farm and maintain accomodation to this standard is a credit to them.I will be staying there again in early December for a shooting trip.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We spent one night here as the last port of call on a round driving trip of Scotland. It was blissful and we'd wished we had found it sooner and stayed longer. The hotel is immaculate and packed with interesting artefacts and things to look at. We literally had the place to ourselves - there were no other guests! The billiard room and the honesty bar is a great touch and we felt exceptionally grand, the three of us having breakfast at the end of a table that would comfortably sit 40 people! The setting is beautiful - the service was great and we loved it! We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent - you won't have a problem!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2011

I can't praise celia and her team enough, fantastic place, warm, friendly and helpful, absolutely gorgeous food, just wonderful all round. Definitely returning with my family

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Emmer Green, Reading
Reviewed 28 April 2011

If you like peace and quiet, this is the place for you. Celia the owner, makes sure that everything is done to a high standard. Food superb, all locally sourced from their own farm. The setting is fantastic, you can spend hours walking around the farm and the adjoining grounds or if you enjoy fishing they have a hillside lake containing trout.
The honesty bar is well stocked with any drink you can imagine and there is also a full sized snooker table. All in all, we had a wonderful stay and would certainly revisit again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Stayed at craigadam last easter and although it has taken a while for me to write this, I was reminded by my easter trip this year. I have to say that Craigadam was in a good location and the food was great. But the rooms do need a bit of an update and are not as good as they look on the internet. My son was also told off by a person I can only presume is the Grandma for leaving a door open on one of the evenings. I have to say that if they are so worried about the heating bills I suggest that they do not have paid guests saying there. I am sorry if it was my son but mistakes do happen. Overall it was a reasonable stay but I would not recommend it as much as others have.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank lloydie04
Craigadam, Owner at Craigadam, responded to this review, 26 July 2011
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
The rooms are graded 4 stars with the tourist board,we are also in Johansens, Best loved hotels and the top 10% of the AA hotels. We are inspected every year.
I am sorry that Granny, you were quite right, upset your son by asking him to close the outside door to keep the heat in. She is at 84 of the generation that closes doors and switches off unnecerssary lights! if I had known at the time I would like to have apologised to your son for the distress that it obviously caused him and yourself.
My staff and I found your children polite and well behaved.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirkpatrick Durham
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,018 reviews
Baytree House
Baytree House
#2 of 14 in Kirkcudbright

Been to Craigadam? Share your experiences!