“Think about the location”

Hotel Pensione Moderna
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bonassola
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The hotel was quite nice, I booked a single room, and I honestly think it was the nicest single room I stayed in. The folks at the hotel were incredibly friendly and recommended me some wonderful other places to visit (like Porto Venere) and recommended how to get there. They also helped me find other bank machines when none of the Banomats in Cinque Terre were working for me. In the end I had to go to La Spezia -- there was one right in the train station that accepted my card.

I'm torn about my rating of the location. On one hand I LOVED Bonassola. It was very quiet and beautiful, I could walk to the sea in a minute, and there was a fantastic well priced gelato place nearby. It was very charming. On the other hand It was just outside of the train pass for the cinque terre card, which meant that every morning and afternoon I had to buy an extra small ticket on top of my card -- which was a bit frustrating (especially when you show up just when the train is leaving, and you know you can't just hop on!). Also had an issue with the machine at Bonassola being broken one morning -- it's not a manned station.

The breakfast in the mornings was good -- cheese and meat slices, fruit, juices, coffee, and bread. Pretty standard, and just in a nice patio near the hotel.

Overall I would recommend staying here again.

Room Tip: They provide earplugs in every room due to the train noise. I... didn't hear the train and all a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 September 2013

....it would be a 5 star review. It's not luxury, it's not Michelin, it's not a historic or cultural landmark, BUT it's sooo cozy, it's driven by the women in the family in a very kind way, it's really good food, it's picturesque in its own way. If it wasn't for that god d... train. Not so bad on the sea facing side, but don't get a room on the inland side!!

Room Tip: Away from the railway. They are aware so they know what you mean when you ask!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kytting
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We were quite annoyed by two things: 1. the smell, and 2. being misled about the size of the room.

There appears to be something wrong with the water trap in the showers, as our bathroom filled up with an awful sewage smell that spilled into the rest of the room if the door was left open. Very uncomfortable, but what bothered me the most was that the management was not interested in coming into the room to actually get a sense of how bad it really was. I think they didn't really believe us.

The description described a "spacious" room. In fact, it was cramped and uncomfortable (see various photographs of the adequate, but cramped bathroom, bedroom, etc). We were on the back of the hotel, so the noise of the train was not too bad, but the quality of the room was quite low - the furniture was very cheap. The room was described as having a "desk", which turned out to be a cheaply put together wooden box (see the photo).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Dad_from_the_Midwest
Reviewed 1 July 2013

You can't get much closer to the train station and this can be a problem if you are a light sleeper.
When the train comes into or just by the station, you can hear it as if it is right outside and in fact, it is. The hotel provides earplugs, but we always bring our own. It is unnerving until you get used to it. I just thought it was a lot like the train in Harry Potter that speeds by the station. There were 4 of us and the 1st room we got was a king bed and some bunk beds. We went to dinner and when we came back the manager offered us a two room suite, very nice. The breakfast was very nice and service was excellent. I think this is a family run business. We really enjoyed Bonassola better than the Cinque Terre towns which were so crowded and just tourist traps. If the city could demand that the train company put up a noise barrier it might solve part of the problem.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We just returned home to Switzerland from a five day stay in Bonasolla and is was just wonderful. Good hotel, clean and very friendly owners. Authentic style and beautiful breakfast room and great location next to the station and a few steps away from the beach and restaurants. Wifi not just in the hotel but on the terrace as well. The train is a must to visit the Cinque terre villages.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel by accident. We were suppose to have gotten off the train at riomaggiore but due to a combination of unfortunate incidents we got off at bonassola. And it was 11pm. As such there was no trains back the other way. After enduring for an hour we managed to get the owner out of her bed to check us in. She was amazing. She had no qualms about seeing random guests appearing in the middle of the night.

The room we found was sufficient and charming. They are simple and clean but it was such a relief that we even had accommodation that night.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The pension is great located just near the train line and station. The pension provide you earplugs, but i recommend not to use them because you can feel the train passing at 5.00 in the morning, because the train is an integrated part of Cinque Terres zone. It's the only way of travel and the fastest one.

Room Tip: If you love trains ask for a room to the railway, if not go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bonassola
Albergo Lungomare
Villa Margherita by the Sea
Hotel Augusta
Hotel Augusta
#1 of 1 in Framura

Been to Hotel Pensione Moderna? Share your experiences!