“Perfect, rustic-feel and typical-small-Brittany-town hotel”
Review of L'Escapade

L'Escapade
Ranked #8 of 8 Carentan B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We stayed as a stop-over between Cherbourg and Paris; I wanted Carentan due to its strong WWII connections, and we wanted a more typical French-style country hotel than something more modern like an Ibis.

L'Escapade is situated in the town square, 5 mins walk from the town's little harbour. Despite that, we parked our car right outside the hotel's front door!

The rooms were very clean and functional (no baths), slightly more modern than the rest of the hotel, and the beds were soft and very comfy. The restaurant/eating area downstairs is fantastic, filled with French bric-a-brac; the evening menu was superb (though not much for the vegetarians and it did take a while to come) and breakfast was a good spread continental.

Staff were very polite (and spoke English).

Carentan is beautiful, and L'Escapade feels authentic French; I would love to go back to spend longer exploring the countryside. (L'Escapade offered a far more enjoyable stay than our expensive Disneyland Paris hotel!).

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank castlet0nr0ad

Reviewed 7 June 2013

Another one night stay on our cycling trip along the Normandy beaches. We booked one of the cheaper rooms which was advertised as having a small bathroom - an apt description. The room was small but clean and comfortable. The 'bathroom' was a small self-contained 'pod' in the corner containing a toilet, handbasin and basic shower (which pumped out plenty of hot water). Not recommended if you suffer from claustrophobia or if you're staying longer than a couple of nights, but perfectly adequate for our needs and exactly what was advertised.

The staff were friendly and helpful and there was secure storage for our bikes.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I totally agree with the other review about being ignored and the French getting served before us. We ordered a 3 course meal, the soup came and then after the dishes were taken away it was half an hour before we realised that we just were not going to get out 2nd course!! after trying to attract the attention of the waiters and waitresses, that were rude and ignored us, we finally got our last 2 courses. Having read these other reviews I realise that it must happen all the time and I would not recommend this place. The food was nice and good value but the service was dreadful.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ang L
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We came here for dinner. The service was awful and the waiter (apparently one of the owners) was very rude and offhand. We ordered a bottle of white wine which was room temperature and had to ask for an ice bucket to cool it down. Overall extremely disappointing.

Room Tip: We did not stay - only ate in the restaurant
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Four of us were on a cycling tour of the the D Day beaches and were booked in for one night at the Hotel Le Vauban which is a nice hotel just up the road. Unfortunately this hotel does not have a restaurant so the very helpful lady on reception there said we could try the L'Escapade Hotel for a meal.
What a disaster!! It was like something out of Faulty Towers! The waiter and I assume the manager, both wore straw 'pork pie' style hats, had an attitude problem and were extremely rude. We noticed that French people sitting down after us were being served well before us. Being a group of four we all checked that it wasn't just one of us imagining everything but the waiter actually went out of his way to ignore us. The food was sub standard, service was appalling and I would strongly recommend that you give this place a very wide berth!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Des S
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I arrived at l'escapade as passing trade on my way up to the ferry in Cherbourg.

First the negatives
I arrived at lunch time and the staff were obviously very busy. The man on reception was a little frazzled and the welcome was not as warm as I would expect. However, I was quickly allocated a room. The hotel was in the middle of decorating and the stairs were covered with bits of damp wallpaper. This was a little dangerous and I think that for safety reasons someone should have offered to carry my bag. I also ended up hitting my head on sme scaffolding over the stair way.

The positives ( which outweigh the negatives)
The room was very comfortable and extremely reasonably priced. The bed was perhaps the most comfortable that I have slept in. The wifi was free and excellent. Carentan is a beautiful town with a lovely walk along the estuary. I had dinner in the restaurant and it was fantastic. I had been in France for three weeks prior to this and l'escapade was by far the best meal I had during my holiday. The portions were huge and the quality was very good. I had a very tasty country salad which would have been a meal on its own for a starter, then I had a Normandy chicken which was exactly as it should be. The waiting staff were very efficient.

I don't usually write reviews but after reading all the negative reviews for this hotel I felt I should stand up for them. I didn't notice any of the abusive or anti English behaviours that other reviewers have mentioned. I do speak quite good French and I am from Northern Ireland not England but I sat beside to two non French speaking English men at dinner and they were treated very well. Waiting staff made every effort to translate the menu for them and ensure they had what they wanted.

All in all this is a hotel that I would return to just for the food.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank bronagh80
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Lovely robust good value food in dining room full of locals. Hotel room newly decorated, though small. Most staff very friendly, let down only by spectacularly rude receptionist who clearly blamed me when the credit card machine refused all three of my working cards.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carentan
Hotel le Vauban
#4 of 8 in Carentan
Le Clos Castel
Le Clos Castel
#1 of 8 in Carentan

Been to L'Escapade? Share your experiences!