“Average budget shack” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 20 Mandrem B&B and Inns
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Average budget shack”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Don't expect too much out of Casa d'Calma, it is a budget shack with limited facilities. I didn't have a reservation and had just walked in. A shack was available, the room was clean, negotiated the price and took it. This doesn't have a restaurant so one has to walk up to the next resort (Dunes) and have food there. There are small shops on the main road where you can buy drinking water, snacks or other toiletries. Two young guys run this resort and they were helpful in sorting out most of what you want, they'll even get food/water for you if needed. The beach is nearby, he approach road is not too great, but manageable. Overall we a good relaxed trip.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank shib4u

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

We would not recommend staying at this hotel we were very disappointed in many aspects of the property.

1. No one at the front desk at 10am and it was full of rubbish.

2. Had to search for someone who actually worked on the property, no clear signs or direction within the property.

3 Took 15 mins to actually find someone and check us in.

4. The bed was old and a mess we asked to be moved to another room. We should have left the property at this time, however after our long journey we wanted to rest and sleep.

5. No real beach access from the property, you must walk up a hill and cross a small brick wall to reach a bridge that takes you to the beach.

6. Water was very limited every day and no real place to relax.

After having a rat inside the beach shack we decided to leave this horror and find a new hotel which we did right next door.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank worldlove326

Travellers are raving about these Mandrem hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed here for almost 2 weeks October 2011. The folks that run the place met me late at night when I arrived and made feel very welcome. They were on hand for any information I needed and when the fan in my hut broke they had it fixed straight away. It's basic accommodation but clean and comfortable and quite lovely. My hut was a twin/double which had nice bamboo furniture and a nice touch was that they had left some incense sticks and candles there by the bed. My only problem was that my hut did not have a loo which I should have considered as I am often up through the night. There was a wee scary walk to the loo when it was dark but apart from that it was great.

The beach itself is beautiful. When I was there in October it was just before the start of tourist season and I highly recommend getting there during this time if you are seeking solitude. Some days there were only a few people on a beach stretching miles of white sand. Bliss. There are no or very little 'hawkers' on this stretch of beach too which is great. Casa d'Calma has some sun loungers with a lovely view down to the beach. This was my preferred sun bathing spot where under the palm trees I could lie and watch any comings and goings on the beach and look at fantastic coloured butterflies and lizards flitting about in the bushes.

Casa d'Calma did not have a restaurant it's self but was flanked on either side by 2 more resorts serving food throughout the day. My advice is to avoid the one called "Dunes" on the right (as you look towards the seas) . Very hit and miss and as a busy established resort I think they have become complacent with the food quality and service. The place on the left hand side..I forget the name was excellent. Great staff, chilled vibe and fabulous tandoor food as well as awesome seafood.

All in all I feel in love with Mandrem. It's laid back, quiet, friendly and utterly, stunningly, beautiful. I would however mention that there are a lot of dogs which wander the beaches. I was very, very wary of these when I arrived but they don't really bother anyone and seem very tame with the dog loving tourists who feed them.

When you go to Casa d'Calma you get exactly what the name suggests.....wonderful peace :) I wish I was going back this year.

Room Tip: Go for one with a bathroom if you don't like going out in the dark
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Carol A
Hamburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I Loved my Stay in this relaxing and so beautiful atmosphere. The bed in the room is so nice and comfortable, People clean it every Morning. U got the best Food places around and dolphins are swimming in the Sea Not far from the Beach. Ashwin, the owner of the Place helps u just with Anything. If u Need a Scooter, an advice for a market or just medicine for an unhappy stomach. I can recommamd this Place as the best One i have Seen on my whole Journey through india.

• Stayed February 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed here xmas 2011. The place is beautiful and has a wonderful situation but the hut itself was a little uncomfortable. The bed was very hard and the pillow very thin. No table outside so nowhere to put books or stuff except the sandy floor. Seems I'm being a bit picky but these are things that could so easily be fixed for little money-it's a shame as everything else is lovely.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
West Harptree, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We tried to book this by email but the owner insisted on cash in his bank before he would take a booking. We refused and when we arrived in Mandrem we went to Casa D'Calma and checked out the rooms and facilities. We were shown into a hut by a member of staff and, as the owner was not there, we were handed a mobile phone to speak to him. We decided not to stay.

Refusing was the best thing we did. We booked into Dunes next door where we had a similar hut but in an established garden, full reception staffed by a really helpful team, tiled bathroom, access to the beach and beach beds, a restaurant, free wifi all with lots of shade and all for 20-40% less depending on your choice of hut. Casa d'Calma has none of these facilities.

We have since checked out much of the accomodation in Mandrem and Dunes is excellent.

PM me for further details of my experience as I am happy to help fellow travellers.

I suggest that you never pay money up front until you have seen what you are getting. This applies to everything in life not just rooms.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Itcanbedone
Shanghai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

After a few crazy days in Mumbai, Casa d'Calma was just what we needed. The huts were simple, but comfortable. The owner was very laid back and made us feel right at home. The weather was super hot while we were there, but the temperature in the hut stayed relatively comfortable. If it is relaxation you are looking for, Mandrem Beach is the place to stay. Next door at the Dunes Resort there is a pretty good restaurant that serves all types of food, and is a great place to be during sunset. I highly recommend a stay here!

Room Tip: Huts closer to the road have more privacy.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple