“A weekend at the Riva Beach Resort”
Review of Riva Beach Resort

Riva Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mandrem
Mumbai
“A weekend at the Riva Beach Resort”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We were welcomed by a beautiful stone sign set in a water fountain. A thatched hut for a reception, a small restaurant called the Buddha Grill and two lines of cottages and some luxury rooms in a building closer to the beach. It was simple and beautiful. Even though we had the choice of picking a luxury room, the fact that it did not face the sea directly deterred us and we took one of the beach facing cottages. The little cottage was a one room with an attached bathroom and a lovely balcony that faced the sea. The room had dark wood interiors and a super comfy bed. Overall it was neat, cozy and functional- air- conditioned of course. The bathroom was small but clean (so important). We tried the Buddha grill for breakfast - which was OK. Scrambled egg and toast. Coffee. I like to have bacon and sausages and hash browns when I'm on vacation. So that was disappointing.We tried the chicken Cafreal one evening which showed the place had potential. The biggest problem with the Buddha Grill was the location. If it could be moved up to the beach front instead the road side, I would not have bothered with the shacks. I would have ordered everything from them and charged it to the room so I did not have to worry taking money with me to the beach. The beach itself was heavenly. It was not crowded. The sand was soft white sand. Our hotel had deck chairs laid out. There were rows and rows of shacks that we could go try out food at. We were looking for good Goan food- fish curry, prawns, calamari, Goan Sausages, Pork vindaloo. We found it all in the shack next to Riva. Over all our experience was great. We had a very relaxing stay. The staff is wonderful. Both Mr. Sachin and Mr. Savio took care of us. Definitely would visit again.
Read my complete review: http://followmyrecipe.blogspot.in/2012/03/susegad-weekend-getaway-by-sea.html

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jyotikapurwar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Turkish first
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 12 March 2012

First, note that the property has undergone a major renovation, so any review written before 2011 is outdated. We traveled with 4 kids under the age of 7. This was a really pleasant stay with *beautiful* views 25 meters from the beach. Mandrem is quiet, perfect if you just want to relax. The rooms were good sized and tasteful, with satellite HD TV. Wifi in the entrance and restaurant. While service was a tad slow, the restaurant had a varied and tasty menu with something for everybody. We ate lunch and dinner at our rooms all 3 days and the wait staff must have come around 25 times as we remembered one more thing to order, smiling and good natured all-the-while. The cleaning staff were also incredibly friendly and helpful--and by that I mean coming to clean and change sheets/towels at all hours of the night as we had 2 ill children vomiting. They even called a doctor to come and help us, and got us a babysitter. We found this to be a simple, relaxing, and pleasant stay...even with the sick kids. Highly recommended if you want to relax in Goa.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Dan G
Montevrain, France
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We stay one night in this resort in february with my friend ; we had found this adress in lonely planet but when we arrived we were very surpised by the price, much more than price given by the lonely guide ;
the owners explained us that they had 2 years before rebuild new bungalows and it was really very nice and comfortable rooms ; beautiful bathrooms clean bungalows with tv and little balcony and a little fridge, nice view on the sea and coconut trees ;
there were other rooms a bit more expensive in a new building but we didn't visit the room...staff was helpfull, good food and included in the price a very complete breakfast with fruit juice yogourt eggs toasts tea coffee..
We recommend this resort only few minutes to the beach with private access and 10mn walk to village

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SIQUES
london
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have been to this resort about 3 times now!! And the fourth time went to see it but did not stay because didn't know that it was open! Even when it was 1star it was a cool place to go and now that its a 4star its even better!!! I had lunch at the Buddha bar and it was real good food! The rooms are amazing! They don't have a private beach but it might as well be private! Nice clean beach with not that many people! I love this place its the best!!! I am planning to book the whole resort for my civil wedding!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chandnishah24
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 February 2012

I have stayed 3 nights (Jan 2012) in the newly renovated resort, here my review:
Place:
Previous travellers have described very well the surroundings, I was mainly in Arambol and Ashvem so can not add anything special apart that the rooms in the first row and the restaurant, being on a main street, were very noisy. Beach is 200m away and different restaurants are close. The resort has no facility at the beach (yet).
Rooms:
As per January 2012, only the first row of chalets and some luxury apartments were available. Works were not disturbing my stay. The normal chalet is very nice, with a good taste for furniture. Bed is very comfortable:white and clean sheets were exactly the plus why i decided to stay here.
Bathroom:
looks also nice, although little. Specially the shower curtain is always "moving" towards you while showering. A small load on bottom of it would solve the problem and give a better feeling while showering.
Water changes from ice cold to boiling making shower a kind of dance :)
The worse thing was absolutely the bad smell from the drain. I asked already the first minute to make something, but as soon as I used the toilet again, the smell was back. Complaining at the reception does not help anything.
A/C, fridge, TV with different English channels and good movies, safe (already closed when you check-in, I didn't use it anyway), toilet amenities (did not use). wireless internet should be available, but could use it only one morning.
The hotel has a backup generator, so power outages are minimized to a couple of minutes. Don't know if it will be removed after completion of construction.
At the beach, there are no sunbeds or anything belonging to the hotel. I suppose this will come in the future. Below the huts, they are still building something, but don't know what it will be.
Restaurant / breakfast:
I just went there because of the included breakfast. Basic things: if you order a toast, you will get the toast, butter and jam will not get served unless you ask for them. Chemical juices, 1 scrambled egg... just leave it if you compare that for 2-300 Rs you will get a full and natural breakfast anywhere else.
Ah, and don't dare to get there 10 minutes late (after 10AM), after one warning (!) you will not get breakfast anymore.
Staff:
this is the very bad point of this resort.
The guy at the reception is everything apart from friendly.
Since their credit card machine was not working, they expected me to pay in advance all my stay in cash. I accepted to pay half of the stay in advance, which I did. One night the guy "gently" called me with "come here" and told me he is expecting the full amount, or I had to leave my passport there, which I clearly refused. Especially when they showed me other guest's passports kept in a cupboard in the reception :S I felt like a gangster...very not Goa a like...
After telling him that internet is not working, he told me he would inform me within 2 minutes... still waiting.
His acting and speaking is very rude. I saw how he was handling with some russians guests regarding rental of scooter, my gawsh!
The girl at the reception does not know what a smile is, and talking at the phone with a friend is more important than serve the customer. Doing the check-in must be for her the worse thing ever, looking at the joy she puts in her efforts.
Rate:
I paid 5000 Rs a night, breakfast included. I was looking forward to a clean and comfortable bed, so I was ready to pay for it, even knowing that stays in northern Goa are by far lower than that. It was clear to me during my stay that you could gamble on the price..
Looking at the whole stay, the rooms (not the bathroom) might do, but the service clearly does not justify the price.
Conclusion:
As per now, I clearly give a negative feedback to this resort.
if
-the staff will be completely changed and adapted to the Goan style
-rates go down or service up
it might have a chance to survive.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the first row behind reception (201 onwards) as they are very noisy from street a...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Its location is what largely works for this property. Riva Beach Resort, on the Mandrem Beach is definitely not out of this world but fits the bill. Being the onset of the off-season, it didn't have many occupants so I ended up getting Deluxe Beach Front Cottage for Rs 750 (A steal as it costs around Rs 1,500 during the peak-season!!). Inside, the cottage is very minimal and consists of a double bed with a mosquito net, color television, intercom, open-shelves and a bathroom with hot water facility and a WC. In my experience, the pictures posted on the website are exactly what these cottages look like. The deluxe cottage which I stayed in also comes with a 'patio'/seating area outside. The resort also has an ayurvedic spa.

The staff here and in particular Rashmi (receptionist) and Ajay (housekeeping) are quite forthcoming and helpful. The reception stocks: sun-block, alcohol, pamphlets/maps for tours and sightseeing and coordinates for taxis, bike/scooter rentals if need be.

While I was there, there was an ongoing construction around the cottages and the owner is building concrete rooms/villas. After enquiry, it appears that at least one side of the new development will be ready by the peak-season of 2010. I've uploaded few photos of the ongoing construction. Due to construction and greenery around, In case the mosquito net in the room doesn't help you get rid of the mosquitoes, the housekeeping will give a mosquito coil. However, I didn't face any problems with mosquitoes during my stay there.

Due to the ongoing work, the resort's in-house restaurant too was under renovation and I had to eat all my meals outside (which is not a problem). The closest restaurants around the resort are: Sea Paradise, Inspiration (my favorite place to eat and rest on the sun-bed!) and End of the World on the Mandrem Beach. Another restaurant, Blue Sea View is situated 5 minutes walk (road leading towards Arambol) from the resort and has a stunning view of the beach from the height it's located at. While the restaurants on the beach are relatively expensive, the Blue Sea View is a backpackers' paradise for good and cheap food! Do note, that because it has ONLY three restaurants and people prefer spending their nights on lively beaches like Arambol and Baga, dinner here can be a problem as the shack restaurants shut down by 21.00 hours (if there are no people). Blue Sea View, on the other hand is open till late. All the above mentioned restaurants are open for breakfast from 8/8.30 hours onwards.

From the resort, the Mandrem Beach is just a brief walk across the small bamboo bridge and the beach is very clean, almost white sands and has relatively few people. I would classify them as being classy/well-to-do people compared to the crowded backpacking/hippy-like crowd at Arambol. The only problem which people will face around here is the sheer number of stray dogs. Because I'm a dog-lover I didn't have any problem with these dogs. The dogs, by the way are very friendly but are territorial and can get into fights with other dogs on the beach. One night, they were barking/fighting for nearly two hours!!! If one can ignore that, the place is quite cozy.

All in all, if you're not fussy and don't want to spend much but want a quality stay -- Riva Beach Resort is your place!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Chets11
sachin17, Owner at Riva Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
sir,
we really appreciate your comments on riva beach resort which was long back in 2010. now on 1st jan 20012 we have reopened with the same name but the management and ownership has been changed,the whole resort its amenities and facilities have been changed with world class wooden cottages and rooms,not only that but we are the only one in the village who has a garbage disposal system and sewage reatment plant as we care for the nature and consider its our responsiblity to take care of the beach and surrounding area.
sir please consider your reveiw as its hamperring our image, we will mail u the new pictures of the resort for you to check out the difference and for any further clarification pls feel free to contact sachi naik +919930885551 or mail at sachin@rivaresorts.com
hope fully you understand our concern and do vist our resort to find the difference we assure you will not be disappointed .we would be highly obliged if you please remove the review.
thanks
regards.
Ahmedabad
Reviewed 24 April 2009

I had booked this hotel at 2000 Rs/day without meals ,the tent was with an AC but overall the tent was very shabby even the bed was not comfortable at all, the bathroom was also terrible . The experience was not something that you expect from a 2k/night accomodation. The only good thing about this place is that it is located on one of the best , less crowded and a clean beach.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Too expensive for the setup
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Samip7
sachin17, Owner at Riva Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
sir,
we really appreciate your comments on riva beach resort which was long back in 2009. since 2010 the resort was closed for renovation as the ownership has been changed its now on 1st jan 20012 we reopened with the same name but the whole resort its amenities and facilities have been changed,not only that but we are the only one in the village who has a garbage disposal system and sewage reatment plant as we care for the nature and consider its our responsiblity to take care of the beach and surrounding area.the rooms and coco wood cottages that are built now are of world class quality. we try our best to serve the best food and give the best service.

hope you understand our concern,we would be highly obliged if you please remove the review.
thanks
regards.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandrem
Lotus Sutra
#2 of 64 in Candolim
Chalston Beach Resort
Chalston Beach Resort
#1 of 110 in Calangute

Been to Riva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!