“Felt at home in Costa Rica!”

Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Roble
New York City, New York
“Felt at home in Costa Rica!”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

As much as I'd to stay and explore another resort, I will definitely make it a point to come back to the Hilton Doubletree Resort. The customer service was spectacular. We were greeted with warmth and respect from the guards at the front gate, to the front desk personnel, our bellhop (Marco), the housekeepers, food service personnel, the guards on the beach and the pier. EVERYONE was great. I LOVED the food and the variety of the selection every single night. Even my Costa-Rican American boyfriend, who's an extremely picky eater, LOVED the food. We stayed in a garden view room in building one, which I was nervous about considering building 1 had rec'd multiple negative reviews on tripadvisor. Now I know not to rely on these "nit-pickers" as I had a wonderful experience in building one! We had a patio, that led you straight to the pool and was very near the buffet area (how convenient!). The resort itself was beautiful and very well maintained. I can't believe a resort as small as this one had THAT many swimming pools!

The landscaping, the views were beautiful (as shown on my pictures), although the beach was not swimming friendly. But WHO CARES?? You're in Costa Rica! I loved every minute of it.

The resort offered day and evening activities and entertainment. I LOVED the coral reef group and the comedian whom they call "Senor Noni". I will definitely be coming back!

Oh yeah, say hi to the little iguanas roaming around the resort. I'm afraid of reptiles, but they started to grow on me after a while.

This is a resort that mostly have Costa Rican patrons. I find that Americans and other international visitors frequent the northern pacific side of Costa Rica more. This place (Puntarenas) is where people from San Jose go for a getaway/vacation. You'll probably hear a lot of complaints from American and Canadian tourist complaining about the spanish speaking, and lack of American food. But they need to understand this fact as well. I, personally, wanted to be closer to Costa Rican culture, so I am very happy and content that i chose to stay here.

PROS:
- Maxi Pali close by (costa rican walmart)
- One night it had rained very hard and the buffet dining area was flooded. I witnessed the staff (from waiters, to Matre D's, to managers) cleaning up, mopping the floors as best as they could as the dinner was to start in 30 minutes. Within 30 minutes the dining room was spic and span!
- Beautiful, simple gym! Three very updated treadmills, ellipticals and decent sized weights for a good vacation workout!
- AWESOME, AWESOME STAFF! The staff couldn't have been more polite and attentive. I am from New York City area, I'm very well traveled, and by far, i've received the best customer service here. From the moment I walked in, I've been greeted by smiles. They were spanish speaking, but well proficient in English as well. I spoke Spanish to pay my respect for the country and I've got to say, my Spanish has gotten better during my stay here.
- Again, AWESOME staff!! They remember things about you. One housekeeper who we had a small talk with asked us three days later, "Oh, how was Tortuga Island?" I felt appreciated that they actually remembered!
- Food?? AWESOMMMEEE. Tamales and empanadas every night? Yes, please! The food was generally costa rican/ central-american food. Very delicious and prepared with great care. The cooks/staff were more than happy to prepare the food to your liking.
- Liquour was not your typical, watered down club/all-inclusive liquor. They hook you up!
- Bar staff was extremely friendly and attentive, you need not wait for your drink, they come over and make your drink for you within moments.
- Towel animals every day!

CONS: If I had to nitpick here goes:
- there's really nothing within walking distance outside of the resort (although there is a Maxi Pali [a costa rican 'walmart'] which is about a 10 minute walk from the resort).
- it rained every day in the early evening (so make sure you're up and about as soon as the sun comes out!) Sometimes it rains for a few minutes, one night it rained all night. After all, this is Costa Rica.
- Beach is not the prettiest for swimming, but the resort swimming pools and excursions make up for it. (PRO: It's still pretty enough, I took lots of gorgeous pictures)
- I wish the Air Conditioner was stronger! We had it on full blast, and still needed the ceiling fan on. No biggie. We understood we were in a very humid climate!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Joelle B
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear JoelleB:

We really appreciate the time you have taken to write your positive and detailed review. It is our pleasure to note that you were thrilled by discovering part of our amazing Costa Rica, and how you enjoyed its wealthy nature and moreover the gentleness of its people. Thank you for recommending our hotel to others, and sharing your kind words with the Trip Advisor community.

We really appreciate your review and thank you for letting us being part of your rewarding experience in Costa Rica, we hope see you back in the near future.

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We were at this place at the beginning of june. My familly and I intended to stay there longer, but only spent one night. The rooms are not well kept, the food is ok. The drinks were not that great, they had a funny taste. I love to go swimming in the ocean, but this beach is the ugliest beach I ever seen. There wasn't one single person swimming, it looks scary. Is not worth the money that we paid. I will not come back to this place again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Parrita07
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Parrita07:

Your comments are always very helpful and valuable for us, you can be sure that we are always looking for ways to update our property to give the best quality of facilities and service as well, in order to achieve full guest satisfaction as our major goal, and we do appreciate your time to write this review to us.

Our dark brown volcanic sand beach is a typical characteristic of our central pacific coast, and one part of the tropical attractions of a Costa Rica. A positive thing about the ocean just in front of our property is that it has one of best surfing long breaks in the world for long board.

Again, thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We value your business and will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations

Best Regards,

Big Pine Key, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Terrible service, food and hospitality. The staff should be trained in Hilton customer service and hospitality for guests coming from other countries, not only for locals. The food is worst than cafeteria food with flies all over it.Thank you for ruining my long weekend!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

5 Thank Jorge A
Dear Jorge A:

We appreciate the insight you provided regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit and we came up short of delivering a hospitality experience consistent with your expectations. Please be assured that your review will be taken into consideration so that we may improve our guests’ in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality you expected.

Again, thank you very much for your review and we sincerely hope that you will provide us a future opportunity to regain your confidence while visiting our hotel.

Regards,

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We visited this resort May 26-30, 2013. The staff were excellent and we would like to especially thank the staff at the Hilton Honors Guest Services - we were welcomed and as Diamond members treated exceptionally well. It was nice to know our business was appreciated. Thank you so much to Kary who made our transportation arrangements with Chico and for her attention to our needs while we were there. She is extremely professional and a delight to deal with.

Just a few comments - we could not swim in the ocean and that was disappointing. We were told that normally you can swim at the beach but not at this time of the year due to a river that flows into that area and causes a lot of disruption. The water was dirty and logs large enough to cause serious injury were rolling in with the waves. The food in the buffet was not to our taste but that is our problem not the resort's - the fare leaned towards the Latin American guests who were the majority of vacationers. There were larger-sized cockroaches in the buffet area and that might have affected my appetite as it is not something we are used to in food areas. If I didn't know better I'd swear they targeted my feet but I solved the problem by eating with my feet up! Cockroaches are normal in warmer climates but usually you won't see them in the dining areas. This is something that the hotel should address by having more bug spray in that area.

The snack and pool bar at the main pool are under renovation and closed so the second pool was very crowded and consisted primarily of several young families. The seafood restaurant was excellent and the bartender at the "beach" bar very friendly. The spa was lovely and a nice respite from the humidity.

We did one tour to Torguga Island so we could have a beach day and we used Ricky Ricardo Tours - he is an excellent tour operator - he doesn't arrange for Tortuga Island but went out of his way and arranged it for us anyway and even picked us up personally at the hotel and drove us to the boat. The crew on the boat are excellent and a big shout out to Freddie! The beach is small but at least you can swim and the lunch provided was excellent. Note: you have to pay for your alcohol on the boat unlike other Caribbean Islands where it is included and they need cash so if you go bring cash.

Room Tip: We were in the new building - it was more than adequate. I would take a higher level room as there...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 21SAF
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Dear 21SAF:

First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. I was pleased to read from your review that you found our staff was polite and helpful and that our seafood restaurant was excelent . Our main priority is for all of our guests to have a welcoming stay. I do however understand that in certain areas we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you that our main priority is for our guests to have an exceptional stay with us and we will do everything we need to do to ensure that these issues are corrected. Our guests’ feedback is incredibly important to us and I do appreciate your comments.

Thank you again for your feedback and loyalty. I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 5 June 2013

We just returned from Costa Rica, where we spent 4 nights at the Doubletree Resort. While the rates were fabulous, and the room included all meals and drinks, I would not return to this Hilton property, specifically because the rooms were less than adequate. Considering the humidity level, I can understand the reasoning behind a lack of carpeting in the room. However, housekeeping did an extremely poor job of washing the floor on a daily basis, and our feet/socks were constantly dirty. The bathrooms were stocked with a bare minimum of amenities, and we had to ask housekeeping to deliver the bare essentials such as toilet paper, tissues and towels.
They were stocked on an inconsistent basis. The room itself only offers CNN in English, and the furniture is standard dormitory issue. The bed was slightly lop-sided, but after a days activities, sleep wasn't a problem. Walls are not very insulated and we could hear children in adjacent rooms, unfortunately. Air-conditioning worked well, as did the hot water. Meals were okay in the private restaurnats, however we did enjoy the seafood restaurant which would be reserved with a minimun of a 4 night stay. There was a surcharge on lobster which was fine as the meal was delicious and well cooked. I think this is the resorts signature restaurant and much thought went into preparation. Included was a fresh cheviche station with plantation chips. Breakfast was wonderful, with many items to choose from including several hot food stations, however I was bothered by the dessert display at dinner which was subjected to an overhead fan which had a collection of dead insects embedded in the paddles, and not much of a cooling mechanism. Personnel was very helpful and polite which included tour desk, reservation desk and dining and bar areas. The hotel on a whole needs a major rennovation, including Bldg. 3 which supposedly the newest and best wing where we stayed. We wouldn't choose this resort for our next trip to Costa Rica, although for a family including children, the price can't be beat.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Travelbon4
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Travelbond4:

On behalf of the management and our staff, we’d like to thank you for your recent stay with us. We are delighted that for the most part you enjoyed your visit; however, we are disappointed to learn of other aspects of your stay that were not up to your expectations. We strive to provide our guests 100% satisfaction and we are truly sorry that this was not the case during your last visit. Please be assured that your valuable comments will be shared with our team so we are able to learn from our shortcomings in order to keep improving upon our offerings.

We appreciate you have highlighted our staff service, as the same time we are glad to know that you have enjoyed our food selection.

Thank you again for your review and we sincerely hope that you give us another opportunity to welcome you back again next time you are in Costa Rica.

Fresno, United States
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We enjoyed our stay, only one night, as the rates for the next night were over double. Enjoyed the Iguana's roaming the grounds, plenty of swim-up bars however the drinks were mostly juice. Meals are buffet style only unless staying 3 nights or more.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Ken W
Dear KenW:

Thank you so much for your time to write a review. It is our pleasure to know that we have met your expectations during your stay with your family in our resort.

Your business is extremely important to us and we really appreciate your feedback about drinks. Again, I thank you for your comments and we would love to welcome you back in the near future.

Ricardo Rodríguez Gil
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband and I were scheduled to spend a week by the beach for his birthday week. And as soon as we arrived, we wanted to leave. This is NOT at all like the Doubletree in the US. The rooms were dark, musty, old, smelly, and run-down. Since we booked this hotel using our time-share, we requested for other rooms. None of the rooms offered to us were acceptable, especially considering what we "paid" (with points) for a Hilton. We then learned that some buildings were newly renovated. But there were no rooms available for us. When my husband offered to pay in cash, i.e. foregoing the "points" we had already paid, the manager miraculously found us a room in one of the newly-renovated buildings. Bottom-line for us, we had to pay double for a standard, 3*, no room service type of room in a hotel with pebbly beach.

Moreover, the whole property was packed with day-trippers from the city. All the pools were packed all day long. Plus, there were organized activities all day long when the "leader" used a blasting mega-phone. NOT at all quiet and serene. NO privacy. NOT a place for a couple to get-away. It was like there were a hundred grand family reunions happening all at the same time.

Food quality was ok considering buffet. But there were lines and you feel rushed all the time. There were a couple of restaurants in the property accepting reservations but they were always full.

I would NOT send my family and friends to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LenaTravelstheWorld
Dear LenaTravelstheWo….

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience.

We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Again, I thank you very much for your review and sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity and stay with us next time you’re in Costa Rica.

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Roble
#2 of 41 in Jaco
Alamar Aparthotel
Alamar Aparthotel
#7 of 20 in Punta Arenas

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!