Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Roble
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stay only in bldg 3 - or do not stay here. Building maintenance is an issue. The staff are all wonderful - helpful, & eager to please. The food is plentiful, tasty, & fresh; there is something for folks that eat healthy as well as those many that do not. The grounds are eye-pleasing & well laid-out - and, for the most part, clean & well-kept. It helps to be an HHonors member.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Leslie M
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Leslie M:

I am so glad to know that your time at our resort was as wonderful as you describe on your review, in the same way we are really proud to know that our team members were focused in offering you really good customer service experience.

Your comments are always very helpful and valuable for us, you can be sure that we are always looking for ways to update our property to give the best quality of facilities and service as well, in order to achieve full guest satisfaction as our major goal.

We really appreciate your loyalty to Hilton Worldwide, thank you for letting us being part of your rewarding experience in Costa Rica, we hope see you back in the near future.

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

There are newer reviews for Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica

Reviewed 6 September 2013

There were a lot of what seemed like locals there during our trip, as opposed to tourists, which was fine with us because it made us feel like we were really in another country. Sometimes you can go to a hotel and feel like you are still in the same place you left.

We watched the childrens show in the evening which was all in Spanish, and for us, since we know very little and are currently learning the language, we were entertained trying to figure out what they were saying! The food here did not disappoint either. We ate all our meals here at the buffet and were satisfied. The pool was one of the highlights for my kids as well.

Having traveled on points we were very satisfied. I don't know if I would have felt the same way if we had paid full price though!

Also, beach out the front is not good for swimming...go to Tamarindo for that!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear travlinfamily1:

Thank you very much for your kind review of our Hotel, and for choosing us as a destination for your vacation.

We are delighted to know that you had such an enjoyable time with us, for each of us is an honor to realize that you took pleasure in our, fresh food and daily activities and learning spanish.

We really appreciate your very positive feedback and I have shared it with our team members.

We hope to welcome you back to Doubletree Resort by Hilton Central Pacific in the future!

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 September 2013

First, I am going to divide this review into 3 parts: 1) what one can expect to receive at the basic level, 2) the extras for booking the rate we chose, and 3) the additional extras due to our HiltonHonors Gold status.
1) After reading some other reviews, I was apprehensive. I emailed several times and some of the responses showed a lack of understanding of our rate type, which I will describe later. All guests receive all inclusive drinks, meals, activities, and more. The area north of the pier has some minor trash, but the beach is not maintained by the hotel so not the hotel’s fault. The area south of the pier was clean, but the sand is dark gray because of the origin (volcanic). The grounds were immaculate and constantly receiving attention. There were many pools, a workout room, a children’s club, 2 tennis courts, and so much more including iguanas at various points on property and nearby. The times for the meals are posted at the two buffet restaurants, one on each side of the central bar area. One has continental very early, and they both have breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There were many food choices on the buffet plus a snack bar with burgers and such by one of the pools, but you are in Costa Rica so there are a lot of local foods like beans & rice for every meal. The food was great for us. My complaint was at the one bacon/sausage station because you had to wait for service except one time when the tray was turned close enough for self service, but then there was no bacon, and it was never restocked. There were 3 egg stations including the one by the bacon/sausage. Lines could be long at busy peak times so plan accordingly. You filled your bowl with some ingredients if you wanted an omelet, and they also had ham and cheese to add. You could also just have fried or scrambled eggs and as many as you wished. One server, Brian (I believe that was his name) remembered after the first day that I only wanted pepper and no salt, and he always said pepper only the two or three times after our first encounter. The wait staff was friendly although some barely spoke English which caused communication issues since my Spanish is not that good. One example is that I was offered a to-go lunch for my volcano tour so I asked them after breakfast where I should pick them up. They brought us 2 empty Styrofoam containers. Later, I found out that the lunches were behind the front desk, but there were no water bottles as I was expecting. There was a sandwich, fruit, a cookie and at no extra charge! Each night they had various themes. I only ate in the dinner buffet the 1st night when the theme was Italian. They always had plenty of meat and side choices, plus fruits, and desserts to fill up any stomach. Seating was always very prompt, and there was never a long wait to be seated. We mainly just visited the pool bar by building 3 and were treated very well by Luis Diego and Richard in particular but by all. The wine was from Chile, the beer was local, I believe, and the liquor was local as well with some name brands like Jim Beam, J&B, etc. also available at no extra charge. They have about 25 specialty drinks to choose from plus you can have standard ones like Gin & Tonic, etc. The only thing I couldn’t find was grapefruit juice? One big positive was that the resort is totally smoke free. I did see one lady smoking at the very corner of the property toward the beach by building 3. I would have complained had I been in the one of the lounge chairs nearby. After staying there, I am very confused about the negative reviews. There are a few areas for touch ups, bathroom upgrades, some different furniture perhaps, but all in all, it was a great place to stay and relax. The staff was always attentive and polite.
2) We booked the Amazing Tour Package:
Rate Details THE AMAZING TOUR PKG
FREE UPGRADE TO DELUXE OR JUNIOR SUITE ROOM, TRANSFER IN & OUT INCLUDED(San Jose Airport - Hotel). CHOOSE ONE FULL DAY TOUR OF THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS: -UNFORGETTABLE MANUAL ANTONIO NATIONAL PARK -AMAZING POAS VOLCANO -ZIP-LINE & HOT SPRING COMBO ARENAL VOLCANO -TORTUGA ISLAND TOUR **CHILDREN BETWEEN 4 & 12 YEAR OLD $95 EXTRA PER NIGHT. CANCELLATION POLICY 4 DAYS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL. **RESTRICTIONS APPLY**Booking Minimun: 3 nights

This package was great for us since we didn’t want to rent a car. Geanina Vargas was great with the emails that I sent with my many questions about this package and any rate issues. Ana Gonzalez was great with answers about the hotel through email. Transportation to and from the San Jose airport is over $100 each way (for 1-5 people usually). The tours average about $100 per person and even more for the private tour for 2 that we received. This means about half of our $309 per night rate covered tours and airport transportation. We chose the volcano and waterfalls option. If you stay 3 nights or more, which is required for this rate, you also get to eat in one of the smaller sit down restaurants one evening. One concern here is that the information in the room stated that these restaurants restricted children under 8, but there were many infants and toddlers when we were in both restaurants, but fortunately, they weren’t too close but did lessen the dining experience! I believe you are also guaranteed a room in building 3, which is the newest and quietest although we did have an amorous couple next door the 2nd and 3rd nights. The walls are soundproof but the interconnecting doors need something as we heard too many moans and groans, especially from the woman. If you stay 4 or more nights, I believe you get two full day tours plus the airport transportation. Arenas Travels handles the tours and transportation for this package. For our return, we were taken without any issues or extra charges to the Hampton Inn at the airport since our flight wasn’t until the next morning. There will be a separate review for them, but check out their web site as well: www.arenastravelcr.com
There was some confusion with Ana who kept referring me to a different travel company called Hotel Beds. They requested too much personal information so I would use Arenas if you only need transportation as their price is the same or less than Hotel Beds, which wanted Flight number, how many people (no problem) but they also want copies of both sides of credit card and id (which I definitely would not send over the internet or fax).
3) As HiltonHonors Gold, we received several extras that made it even more special. We had our own special check in and Kary took great care of us from beginning to end and followed up often to make sure we were having a great stay. We were allowed to eat in the small, personal restaurants on 2 evenings: Macondo for Latin American food on 2nd night and Cana Brava-seafood on 3rd night. We were upgraded to an end room, #3337, with full Pacific Ocean view with 2 balconies. We were allowed to check out one hour later and enjoy another lunch before our departure. We received a small bottle of Argentinean wine and a dozen chocolate covered strawberries on our arrival to the room the first day. We were given gold wrist bands because of our status. I think we got even more attentive treatment from most of the staff as well. It’s nice to have status and be treated so well!
There were a couple of concerns. The smaller balcony to our room had a stopped up drain so there was some water on the floor after a heavy rain from the west one morning. The room could have used a more comfortable chair. I brought one of the two from the balcony inside since the two at the dining table were not comfortable to relax in. The pillows were too soft, but I requested additional ones and either got new ones that were still a little firm or perhaps ones that weren’t feathers only. The room seemed small for a suite but definitely was a great room. The housekeeper cleaned the rooms next door with sign request but skipped ours, which also had the same sign, on the 2nd day so I had to call to have them come clean. I had given them about 3 hours that morning and thought it would have been done before my college football game. I had to watch part of the 1st quarter while the nice lady cleaned the room! Go Irish!!! The television received many channels including all the network channels from Miami. Electricity is the same as the US so all the plugs worked without converters, and there were sockets in the two bedside lamps which was a real bonus. We received ample towels, supplies, and all the necessities. There was also a safe in the closet, but it was hard to close the closet door because the safe door would not stay shut unless locked. All of the flooring was tile-no carpet, but it is a coastal resort. I am giving this place a 5 rating (it really should be 4.6 or so, but I am rounding up). I look forward to returning to Costa Rica and will most likely stay here again if they remain in the Hilton family. I will use Arenas Tours for transportation and tours as they are great and have so much pride in their country. Gracias for everything! (and again especially to Kary for her personal attention to all our needs and requests-she is top notch)

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BerlinG-ParisF
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear DisneyParis

We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed our location, accommodations and attentive service from our staff. As you have mentioned, we work hard to offer the highest quality service during our guest´s stay, by offering a wide variety of fresh food at our e Restaurants.

It is good to know that you had the opportunity to visit the main natural attractions of our beautiful Costa Rica

Once again, thank you for your feedback and let us being part of your vacation.

Ricardo Rodríguez Gil

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I love all included hotels, but never again in this hotel. People don't have an idea what is a smile, rude people. Food was re-heated or cold, Costa Rica is known for his "friendliness" someone has to remind these people about this. Tables in the restaurant were dirty, it looked as hostel for backpackers.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jamie R R
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Dear Mr. Jamie R R:

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, including comments help us to identify ways to improve. I understand that our service did not fill your expectations.

I was especially disappointed that you found our staff to be indifferent towards you and that they did not provide you with the service you deserve. I thank you for bringing this to my attention so that I can personally follow-up with our staff members. Your business is extremely important to us and apologize if you were inconvenienced in any way.

We are always listening to our guests and I will definitely keep your comment about food and drinks in mind to improve the quality and selection of our offerings.

Again, I thank you for your review and we sincerely hope you give us an opportunity to stay with us next time you are in Costa Rica.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

My husband and I spent a week here using our Hilton points.
Location: Close to some attractions, which is nice. because my hubby and I were there on points so we spent a little extra on excursions. Is meant for 3 days we were out and about exploring beautiful Costa Rica. We used the onsite excursion company and then an offsite one. They we both fine. I didn't feel like we spent too much either way.

Because of its location, if I had kids that I wanted to learn immersion Spanish this is the place! Likewise for folks who want a local flavor. Ticos were at the hotel over the weekend and they bring energy and a great opportunity to learn the language. With this it also brings longer lines at the bars and restaurants. We did not, however experience any shortchanging by any of the staff.

Beach: horrible, ocean is unswimmable because of the rain run off. DO NOT GO FOR THE BEACH!!

Room: We stayed in building 3 which was newer and our room was comfortable, clean and other than the tub needing some caulking, very nice. An added bonus was daily towel animals the cleaning staff left us.

Resort: The resort had nice pools that were perfect for kids and families. Swim up bar and hot tub in one of the pools. I had a massage with a great masseuse but- big drawback- could hear some traffic which impacted the experience. The buffet restaurants were packed most of the time. When the locals left on Monday morning, they were hosting a large conference group and they filled the line and tables. The manager waited too long to open the second restaurant and that was frustrating. We ate at each of the specialty restaurants and they were really good. I don't understand the reservation system. We couldn't get an earlier reservation, yet when we walked past the restaurant they clearly had many tables available.

Entertainment:nightly entertainment in Spanish. We did do towel folding and it was fun.

Staff: friendly. The concierge (Kara?) was really nice and very helpful. Bartenders were present and plentiful. Room was cleaned to our satisfaction. Most are bilingual and I had no issues trying to converse.

I am not sorry I stayed here! I am not a big sunbather, more of a zip line, hiker so this resort was good for our stay.

This hotel is frequented by locals, Ticos, during the weekends.

Room Tip: Ask for building 3.
Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoseOtoole

Dear Mrs. RoseOtoole:

We appreciate that you have taken the time to give us a review about your recent stay with us.

For each of us, It is really important to know our guest’s opinion, because our goal is to offer the highest quality and caring service to all our valued guests.

We really appreciate your very positive feedback about our Staff and I have shared your kind words with our team members, your comment elevate our pride for what we do and inspire us to continue bringing to life our service promise.

Something that really characterize our hotel is the volcanic sand beach which makes part of our tropical scenery, typically of the Pacific part of our country, and I am proud to inform you that our beach was awarded by the ICT (Costa Rican Tourism Institute) with the “Blue Flag” for having a clean, safe and pollution free beach.

Thank you very much for let us being part of your vacation and share your point of view with us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Doubletree in puntarenas two years in a row. The staff is always helpful and friendly. The food is very tasty and plentiful...something for everyone. The pools are beautiful and very well maintained. The rooms could perhaps do with a bit of attention or updates to bathroom fixtures but are always clean and fresh. The location is ideal for odyssey tours to pick us up for wonderful excursions and transportation to the airport. Our three teens were a bit unhappy with the teen lounge as video games did not work and they did not like hanging out with younger children. Overall though I would recommend both the resort as a "home base" and odyssey tours for transport.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Jill S:

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I’m happy to read from your review that you found our hotel staff to be friendly and helpful.

Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our product and services. Our main priority is for all our guests to have a welcoming stay and I do appreciate your comments.

Again, thank you very much for your business and I do hope that next time you are in town, you consider staying with us.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I did a search and clearly entered two adults and two kids with age and everything. I made the reservation based on the rate that was given, which was 500 us for a night. Should have read the fine print, that mentionned additional charge for kids. 50$ each because it's an all inclusive. One would figure 500 is enough! Room was fine. After insisting 15 min at the counter, all they gave up was to allow us the A la carte restaurant. I must say food and service was great. Puntarenas is a port, beach is not very nice, pool standard for an all inclusive. We got there at 6 pm and left by 10 am. We certainly would not have stayed there any longer.

Room Tip: Rooms by the ocean
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear Mr. Daniel D:

Thank you for your feedback and I am pleased that you enjoyed our staff hospitality and food. I do appreciate all comments because those are extremely useful when it comes to evaluate the quality of product and the levels of service we provide from all the different perspective of our Guests.

Puntarenas is one of the most important ports in the country, where the majority of our imports and exports move. Also represents the starting point for most tours of the country. It is the perfect place to explore different bio-systems of the country, without having to be mobilized from hotel to hotel every day. And also is the one of the most important stops for the cruise ships that come to Costa Rica.

We regret to know that you did not thoroughly enjoy your with us. I will share all your comments with the entire staff. For us, the opinion of our guests is always a challenge in order to keep up with all the different expectations from each Guest.

I value your patronage and I appreciate the time you took to share your comments and experience. We will continue striving to make each guest experience, a special one.

Regards,

#6 of 20 in Punta Arenas
Alamar Aparthotel
Alamar Aparthotel
#10 of 20 in Punta Arenas

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!