“Not too sweet not too sour”

Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Roble
Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Not too sweet not too sour”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Not too many changes came with the new brand .
Bigger restaurant, just more of the same.
Evening shows so much better than the past.
Very warm welcome at front desk, not the same with the rest of the staff in the differet areas
,not bad, but just poor ,specially near swimming pool áreas or at the show "rancho" bar.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank depasar
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear depasar:

Thank you for feedback and I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our shows and the attentive service from the front desk staff, as well. I do appreciate all comments because those are extremely useful when it comes to evaluate the quality of product and the levels of service we provide from all the different perspective of our Guest.

We regret to know that you did not thoroughly enjoy our resort. I will share all your comments with each department head. For us, the opinion of our guests is always a challenge in order to keep up with all the different expectations from each Guest.

I value your patronage and I appreciate the time you took to share your comments and experience. We will continue striving to make each guest experience, a special one.

Regards,

Ricardo Rodríguez Gil
Gerente General

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Punta Arenas, Costa Rica
Reviewed 6 October 2013

No towels, No hot water, A/C didn't work, power went off for 3 hours. Workers making noises next to the window of our room at 6am on a Saturday and a Sunday. After complaining and talking to the Manager on duty, it got worst, he just said he couldn't do anything and we just more than $500 to stay here, he didn't even care about the situation. (No customer service and a total disrespectful attitude towards the guest,) It is really sad to come to a place like this with your family and find the service and treatment we received in this Hotel. This is totally unacceptable and disrespectful to guests like us. And additional to everything I just said, the food is not even acceptable, is really bad, as everything in this hotel, I will never come back and will make sure to spread the word as much as I can about this experience.

Room Tip: Do not stay here!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank ROBERTO D
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear ROBERTO D:

I deeply regret that your experience at our resort was disappointing. Your feedback is truly appreciated for it is one of the most important tools that allow us to improve the quality of our product and services. All of your comments will be internally discussed with our management team for immediate action.

I would very much like the opportunity to personally apologize for the inconveniences that you went through during your stay. On behalf of the entire team, we thank you for your feedback and are truly sorry we did not succeed creating a memorable experience for you.

I would like to have the opportunity to earn your business and have you stay with us again.

Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My wife and I traveled to the Double Tree Central Pacific on our honeymoon and were incredibly disappointed in what we experienced.

The check in process was unorganized, chaotic, and simply inefficient. It appeared to me that the front-line staff needed managmenet support, which was no where to be found. If you arrive before check-in time, be prepared to wait around until 3pm, they do not accommodate early check-ins, even in the slightest. After waiting 20 minutes in line at the front desk, we checked in, just to be told our room would be ready in 2 hours. 2 hours later, we were herded into the banquet hall where we waited another 30 minutes in line to get our keys. Like I said, unorganized, and inefficient.

Upon entering our room, there was a heavy smell of mold, the sheets were wet, and they were in the process of renovating the floor above us, with what sounded to be a jack hammer. When we asked to move rooms, the new room we entered was not much better, but manageable so we stayed.

The food at the restaurnts was not appetizing, and frankly, kind of gross. The pools looked dirty and unmaintained. The beach had liter COVERING the sand, leaving us with the impression cleanliness, is not a specialty of the Double Tree Central Pacific.

The ONLY helpful staff member we encountered was the consierge who was incredibly hospitable.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CanadianTravel91
Dear CanadianTravel91:

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel. I thank you for selecting our hotel for such a special occasion as your honeymoon and I sincerely apologize that we were not able to deliver what you expected from us.

I truly regret that you had a disappointing experience while staying with us. This is totally unacceptable and I can assure you that I have personally spoken to our staff regarding your comments. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us improve.

Again, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you went through and would be more than happy to discuss this further with you.

Your satisfaction is our main concern and I make myself available for any questions you should have.

Toronto
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I went to this resort in November 2010. I stayed at this resort for 4 days.The resort was well kept and clean. There were lots of beautiful flowers and different kinds of plants. The pool was nice but the beach wasn't. There was no one on the beach because it was dirty. It seemed as though the beach was not being maintained. The pier on the beach was falling apart. The food was ok. The food was mainly traditional food and not much variety at the buffet. The drinks were good, especially the Pina Coladas and Strawberry Margaritas. The nightly show was pretty good. But there was nothing much to do. The resort offered a lot of different excursions which was good.

The rooms were spacious and very clean. The beds were amazing and the pillows too. The service was good and the staff was friendly. I would rate this resort 3 out of 5 overall. Although the experience was good, I will not be returning to this resort.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Sara3172
Dear Sara3172:

The opinion of each of our guests is the engine that drives us to continue with improvement process.

We appreciate your feedback and you can be sure that our mission is to offer the highest quality of service and convenience to all our guests during each visit. We deeply regret that although you enjoyed your stay the last year, you won´t come back to our Resort.

It is really comforting to know that our accommodations and staff were according your needs.

Something that really characterize our hotel is the volcanic sand beach which makes part of our tropical scenery, typically of the Pacific part of our country.

Thank you very much for sharing your views with all the Trip Advisor Family, it will be greatly appreciated for all of them as much is for us.

Cartago, Costa Rica
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Quick family trip to the Costa Rican Pacific coast. A very nice hotel close to the city. Familiar and comfortable. The pools are great for kids and it is an all inclusive hotel which is also great for kids.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Freddy G
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear Freddy G:

What a pleasure to hear how you have enjoyed your recent stay in our resort, your kind words encourage us even more to continue working very hard to provide the most comfortable and wonderful experiences to our guests.

We hope this is not the last time you visit us and also continue to give us the opportunity to show you our commitment of satisfaction and pleasure during your stay.

Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I spent 4 nights at the Doubletree recently, and while there are fair points made about the upkeep, I can't imagine what an ongoing battle it must be for the staff. The resort sits on the ocean (lots of salt in the air) and on the edge of a rain forest (over 150 inches of rain a year). That's got to play havoc with every inch of these buildings.

I agree with many of the reviews on the food and staff. Both are very good, especially for an all inclusive. All of our interactions with staff were positive, from check in to food and beverage to housekeeping. I didn't talk much with any of the maintenance staff, they were far too busy. In our four days, we watched as entire hallways were re grouted, doors were freshly painted and windows cleaned. We got the impression that Hilton may have taken over the property recently, and even if it's been a while, they are clearly making an effort here.

The specialty restaurants, in particular, were the best meals I've had at an all inclusive resort. The staff were excellent here and even the bottles of wine that were extra to the package were priced reasonably.

So set your expectations properly and you'll have a great time here!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Dear Fulham1758:

We would like to thank you for sharing such a positive review about our resort, It is our pleasure to know that your expectations were met during the stay within our resort and that you enjoyed our food and service from our staff

Our country is well known by its service culture and our resort by its service of care, I am very proud of my team, we look for different ways to create extraordinary experiences and positive memories.

Thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to welcome you again in the near future. Pura Vida!

San Salvador
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This isn’t a particularly good hotel, and being all-inclusive doesn’t help it out any. My “gold standard” for all-inclusives are hotels in the AMResorts chain: Secrets, Dreams, Now, Sunscape, and Zoetry. All those rate five stars, so for the Hilton Doubletree in Puntarenas I can only charitably give it three.

The rooms are nothing special, though I will admit they are clean and the beds are comfortable; at least in the room I had. Food is passable, but is all buffet, because without booking a minimum 3-night stay, there is no access to the a la carte restaurants. The pool is nice enough; the beach, not so much.

The staff seems unhappy in their work, and downright surly. Tipping does not appea to help. At the bar, anyway, one didn’t have to wait long for a drink.

If you’ve spent your hard earned money to make a trip to Costa Rica, the beautiful country can be much better appreciated and enjoyed somewhere else. There are far better beaches and far better hotels than this one. Fortunately, I’ve learned that the new AMResorts hotel in Guanacaste will open in the Fall of 2014. So I’m planning a return trip to Costa Rica; just not to the Hilton Doubletree in Puntarenas.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Brian J:

We appreciate the insight you provided regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit and we came up short of delivering a hospitality experience consistent with your expectations. I truly apologize and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience.

Your comments are always very helpful and valuable for us, to give the best quality of facilities and service as well, in order to achieve full guest satisfaction as our major goal, and we do appreciate your time to write this review.

Ricardo Rodríguez Gil
#2 of 41 in Jaco
Barcelo Tambor
Barcelo Tambor
#2 of 6 in Tambor

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!