“Holiday abroad”

Woodside Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Restaurants in Doune
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great hosts, meals are good and wholesome. I loved the roast with vegetables. Hard to find places that serve a good lot of veges. Busy place but very helpful and welcoming service. A good wholesome meal, nothing fancy which is just what we liked.

There are newer reviews for Woodside Hotel

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Really good choice and lovely cooked breakfast. Smaller portions for the kids too. Great sausages !!!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

After visiting doune castle we were looking for lunch. There are a few cafes but no parking. This place had ample parking although didnt look like much from the outside we went in. Staff were fast, very friendly and chatty. I had chilli which was easily the tastiest ive had with just enough heat to remind you what chilli is all about. Amazing dish. My wife had a prawn baked potato which she was very pleased with. Properly baked with crispy skin and a mountain of prawn and fresh salad. My toddler had macaroni cheese and he cleaned his plate. Quantity and value were just spot on. Staff took time to discuss the dishes even although our waitress was finished and about to leave she took her jacket off to let us pay our bill and chat with my wee boy. Definitely be back even if its only for the chilli.

1  Thank divermckay
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stopped for lunch on a Sunday afternoon. We wandered in with no expectations. Upon entering we were rather ignored which made us feel a bit awkward. When the waitstaff finally did tend to us they were friendly and helpful. On the other hand...the service was extremely slow. As Americans were are used to fast service, so we tried not to expect the same thing we'd find at home. The service in The States might be considered...rushed. So...we waited...patiently...and waited....still patiently...but we were the last folks still waiting. It seemed a bit excessive.

The food itself gets mixed marks as well. As the sole vegetarian in the lot I chose a simple baguette...Brie and cranberry sauce. The roll was not the freshest...although it was Sunday...perhaps it was baked on Friday. Can't expect bakers to work on Sunday. Too much cranberry sauce. My meal was LTM...Less Than Memorable.

On the other hand...the carnivores were delighted! Can't tell you what they had...but they were very pleased. The desserts...while advertised as homemade...were not made in any home nearby. But then again...they were pretty yummy. The custard sauce was especially good.

My biggest complaint...besides the LTM sandwich...was that we were just wanting lunch. We didn't really want to spend the afternoon or the night.

BTW...Lovely loo.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was just in Doune to see the castle on a Sunday and missed my bus so I had some time to wait so I searched for somewhere to eat, not easy in a small town on a Sunday. I found the Woodside and decided to give it a try.

I had the Sunday Roast and it was delicious. Even better, I mentioned to the kind lady that served me that I'd missed my bus and had to sit around for a couple hours. After I finished my meal she told me she was getting off work shortly and would give me a ride back to Stirling. She chatted all the way and even dropped me off at the Stirling castle so I didn't have to walk all the way to the top.

I wish I'd gotten her name, she really made my day! That's what I call excellent customer service. :)

1  Thank fishtal