“Don't bother unless you like the pottery”

Brick & Vines Cafe at Morris & James
Ranked #14 of 26 Restaurants in Matakana
Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Very disappointed. We were ignored at the counter on arrival...no welcoming greeting, or even acknowledgement that we were there. It took the staff almost 2 minutes to respond to my repeated excuse me. The coffee was weak, and bitter. The cake was pleasant.
No one on staff cracked a smile at all - which must have been so difficult, as I tried my friendliest manners towards them.
I really would not recommend this place for the food, or the service...there's much better on offer in the region. The only reason to stop here is the pottery. (which in my view is also over-priced.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The cafe and shop are worth coming to. Not cheap but a beautiful setting. The coffee was good but there was only sweet food or full meals available at afternoon tea time.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We come here from time to time because it is on the way to 'Ti Point', and has a charming leafy courtyard where we can get the dog out of the car and have a bite to eat.. It is a peaceful spot, off the main road in a more rural location, and surrounded by creative pottery making it quite unique. The food is fresh and tasty if a little pricey - but one would expect that in this utique environment, and there are cheaper options in the glass cabinet (or in the village). The only negative is a sense that the staff are not very sociable, and a more friendly attitude would bring this up into the 'must do' category.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

After a tour around the pottery factory a spot of lunch would have hit the spot, What better than the café right there? Wrong! The food was very pricey but there are cabinet options. We choose to go with cheese scones which were dry, my mum cake was dry almost burnt , my cake was not that good. My mum ordered a Americano and got a long black with hot water. She went to the counter and said she wanted an milk with it as this is what we get elsewhere. She got attitude for her trouble from both the waitress and what I assumed was the manager.

The table number was handy to shoo away the sparrows

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I came here for a late and relaxed lunch about 3pm on Saturday. Morris & Jame's Cafe was perfect for this. Whilst a lot of other cafes in town were closed for lunch service by this time, and the remaining wineries too busy, bustling and I can imagine rushed; here I was able to sit outdoors underneath the vines and shade cloths to enjoy a sunny, afternoon meal unhurried and undisturbed.
I had a starter off the specials board, an orange, carrot and pumpkin soup. Then I had the Snapper and coriander fish cakes for main with a glass of wine. All divine! So delicious. I especially recommend the fish cakes. They were nice and meaty with fish, and nicely spiced too. Very tasty. The cakes and sweets in the cabinets looked very tempting but I was so satisfied from my meals I couldn't fit another thing in.
While not at all rude or unpleasant, the staff were not as welcoming as one can get used to with Kiwi hospitality. However this didn't affect the experience, but it could have been the icing on the cake.
I enjoyed reading the weekend newspaper during my meal. There is pottery decorating the courtyard, and a children's' playground too. Will be back when in the area again.