“Great lunch outdoors”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Great lunch outdoors”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The George is a lovely building, full of history. We called in for lunch during the week & had delicious food, outside in the sunshine, waited on by attentive staff. Would recommend although would book at weekend as I imagine it gets very busy.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Jean M

London, United Kingdom
“A last minute booking that turned out to be a lovely meal”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I visited here with my mother the evening before Mother's day. It was a last minute booking as I had intended to treat my mum with lunch elsewhere as part of a day out, only to be disappointed at the last minute, which left me trying to find somewhere to get a table on the Saturday evening, but everywhere was booked because of Mother's day the next day. We managed to get a table in the restaurant at The George, so went there with no expectation.

The restaurant is behind the main bar, and is small but not crowded. There is a limited choice on the menu, with about 5 items to choose from for each course, plus the specials. I had the rump of lamb and my mother had the roast duck for main. We both said that it was one of the nicest meals we had ever had, full of flavour and beautifully presented. We also both enjoyed our desserts, I chose from the selection of ice creams and sorbets and my mother has the panacotta.

The service was polite and friendly, although the staff were lacking a bit of training, as our server took 3 attempts to bring the right bottle of wine. The wine list was reasonably priced with bottles starting from around £15.

The total meal for 2, of three courses and a bottle of wine came to around £70, which was reasonable for the quality of the meal and I would happily eat here again.

I have not used/eaten in the bar so could not comment on the difference in the food, service etc between the bar and the restaurant. However I would recommend the restaurant to others.

My one tip is to be careful with the paper menus and the tealight in the middle of the table, as my mother when reviewing the dessert menu did manage to set light to it! However the waitress said she was not the first!

2 Thank labella21
Rochester, United Kingdom
“Totally let down, waste of my time.”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Totally let down ....called to enquire regarding vouchers and was told yes they do them I then said I would like to collect on the Sunday (Easter Sunday) would that be ok and was assured that it was ... Drove the 45 minute drive to collect them as a birthday gift to be told that no one was there that could sign of the vouchers as they where all on holiday. Won't bother coming back.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank Notonetocomplain3
Meopham, England, United Kingdom
“Nice English countryside pub”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Had lunch with my daughter and granddaughter. Food was good. However, the woman who served us appeared not to like being asked for condiments. When I mentioned we still had some chips to come, I was told can't you see they were on the bar and would be brought them in a bit. Not service to customer orientated. Usually have no problems with the staff on other visits, just this time.

3 Thank Patricia H
London, United Kingdom
“Always disappointed”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I often visit friends who live in Meopham and they kindly take us out for a meal. I always hope they won't book the George because I have never ever had a satisfactory meal there yet. The prices are expensive for what you get - i.e just over £15 for a very ordinary piece of fish with chips. The desert menu is not at all tempting and I could easily go in, have a drink and not eat. I thin the food is very ordinary. Sometimes the waitresses are less than friendly although on our last visit I found the waitress to be a little better than previous visits. The setting is lovely. The food is very very ordinary. i.e. I could do much better at home!

4 Thank Christine K