“Above and beyond all expectations!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portreath
The Copper House - Portreath
Ranked #2 of 4 Portreath B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Above and beyond all expectations!”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I chose The Copper House for the weekend of my wedding as a place to relax and prepare with my bridesmaid for the big day. It was the best decision ever! We were greeted with the warmest of welcomes and a freshly baked cream tea which was superb! Linda and Andy were amazing hosts and made sure that we had everything we needed. She even made sure all our wedding flowers were kept cool and watered.

I don't really know where to start as there was so much brilliance about this place. The bed was giant and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in, the bedding was fabulous and the room stated cool even though it was the hottest weekend of the year. The place has a natural calmness and the decor is really cool :) It was wonderful to sit out on the terrace and see the chickens and the beautiful gardens.

The breakfast was mind blowing - you have to try the Copper House special! Cooked to perfection - it would not have been out of place in a top London restaurant. I felt like royalty :)

The service was immaculate and when my new husband and I returned on our wedding night Linda had left a card and a bottle of bubbly for us. So many thoughtful touches. She was a massive support with my pre wedding nerves too!! I hope we can return on our anniversaries :) The attention to detail was wonderful - from the chilled water and chocolates in the fridge to the range of tea and coffee and scrumptious biscuits on the room, the room was spotlessly clean and the shower was totally awesome.

Thank you both so much - I would definitely recommened this to any bride to be as a perfect place to pamper and relax. You cannot forget such a wonderful experience.

Thank you so, so much.

Mr and Mrs Latham xx

Room Tip: Room 1 is the bomb!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Laughter L, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Hi Emma & Chris,
Thank you so much for your lovely review and it was an absolute pleasure to have you, your bridesmaid and eventually, your new husband stay here. You gave me a very exciting day and I really enjoyed it. I just loved seeing you all off in that pretty VW van. The whole street was out waving you off!
I'm very pleased you loved the house and the decor and especially the terraces. What amazing weather you were lucky enough to have here. Also, I am so chuffed you thought the breakfasts were up to hotel standards. I think it is very important to pay attention to the details, because that is what makes a guests stay more comfortable.
I would love to see you both again one day - on your anniversary or any other time. You would be most welcome.
I wish you both a wonderful and fulfilling life together.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Seaford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The Copper House B & B is a find in a million!! It combines style, comfort and good old fashioned surpurb service in the most peaceful, beautiful and serene surroundings in the countryside setting on the side of a valley in Portreath. Linda's breakfasts....personally served in your room or on your own private terrace, are likely to become legendary! (try the poached egg with chilli oil...sublime!!) Built personally by the owner's over a period of 5 years, the house is a stunner! It offers 2 x B&B letting rooms and is fabulous value for money. Stunning scenery, amazing coastline and lots of places to visit - a fantastic base for a multitude of activities.

2 Thank Imogen K
Laughter L, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Dear Imogen,
Thank you so much for saying The Copper House is a find in a million and that you enjoyed my breakfasts. The Copper House is in a perfect location as a base for visiting all the amazing places in Cornwall. St. Ives, Falmouth, Truro, Penzance etc are all close by and most attractions such as Lands End, The Minack Theatre and The Eden project are easily reachable. If you want lovely beaches, there are many to choose from with Portreath having a very family friendly beach but with good surfing and the wonderful beach of Godrevy only a few miles away. We don't have a sea view from our windows, although it is just minutes away, but you are right, the view of the valley is stunning and we are very lucky to have such a sylvan aspect backing on to the ancient woods of Illogan. Many, many thanks for your review and I do hope we see you both again.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

Spent a weekend at Copper House and across the board it was great. I was lucky to get in due to a cancellation at the last minute. Linda and Andy were super friendly and accommodating especially with my likely late evening arrival having driven out on a Friday afternoon.

The accommodations are first rate. I stayed in the larger of the 2 rooms, and it is indeed huge and well furnished with a nice veranda outside. Everything is modern, comfortable, and convenient. This is not your typical cramped English B&B accommodation! The location is at the end of a quiet lane, about a 10-15 min walk to the beach, pubs, etc. in the village. It is convenient to the coast path and the mining trails as well. I basically parked my car and left it there until I departed.

The breakfast is served in your room, which worked out fine as there was both a table inside and one on the veranda outside. Sitting outside with the fragrance of all the flowers enjoying an excellent breakfast is definitely the way to start the day. The food was great, very well prepared and excellent quality. Give the house special a try, poached egg on toast with rocket and chili oil.

If I were pressed to find an imperfection, the best I could come up with would be a very minor comment on the parking, which is a bit of a challenge but that's Cornwall for you. It is the trade-off for the quiet, secluded location. It took me some maneuvering to get it right as both the lane and parking space are a tad unforgiving. Cellular service is a bit spotty in Portreath, something to keep in mind if you need to call for directions. Copper House is at the end of the Lane, a very sharp left onto Primrose Terrace if satnav takes you up from School House Rd.

I am already looking for a good excuse to go back and stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Hi there,
I was very glad we could accommodate you that weekend and glad that you enjoyed it enough to write a review. Many thanks. As you discovered, we are perfectly placed for some lovely walks and also some fabulous bike rides. I'm glad the weather was fine enough to have breakfast outside and at the moment, it is wonderful in the evenings as well. Thank you too for your kind words about my breakfasts. Very fresh, good quality local ingredients are plentiful in Cornwall and my guests appreciate that.
I do hope we see you again in the future.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We've just returned from 3 nights at The Copper House. What can I say that hasn't already been said about this amazing place? From the moment we arrived to a friendly welcome from Linda with a cup of tea and a freshly made, wonderfully decorated cake, we felt completely at home. We stayed in Room 1 which is beautifully decorated with a designer's eye and has every thing you could ask for and more. The bed is supremely comfortable with crisp linens and cozy eider duvet. The bathroom has the deepest bath I've ever sat in with a rainfall shower head. There are quality toiletries and an abundance of towels. Linda and Andy are great hosts who display the right mix of discretion and friendliness. The breakfasts are delivered to your room at a time of your choosing, to be eaten at your leisure. The menu has a good variety of choices and it was all beautifully cooked and presented. The Copper House special is something I am stealing. The room is well equipped with hair dryer, mini fridge (which is stocked with complimentary goodies) and a biscuit barrell filled with home made biscuits that gets replenished daily. It's nice to see filter coffee and there is fresh milk in the fridge.

The house has underfloor heating and it is absolutely seamless. It is not too hot or cold. It's just an even temperature everywhere. And the quiet. It is so quiet that you hear the silence! I sat outside in the dark on a warm evening on the enormous private terrace and it was magic. I could hear a stream somewhere and that was all. Blissful silence. And the stars! This is a special place. A place of quiet and calm and tranquillity. The views are a mix of wild woods and garden with raised veg beds already full of growing produce.

This is not an olde worlde b &b. This is a bang up to date contemporary house that works. If you love design, eco principles, friendly but unobtrusive hosts and seclusion then this is definitely right up your street! Most of all I am just amazed they built every square inch themselves. Two people, with no help, over several years. It's taken me three months to get round to revamping the bedroom. I echo what a previous reviewer said - this is a destination and one I hope to revisit it again very soon.

1 Thank Sue C
Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Sue and Steve,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay here and appreciated the house, room and the breakfasts. We are always striving to do our best and it is lovely to see that our guests appreciate it and have a good time while they are here.
I don't think the heating was on. The Copper House is very highly insulated (about 3 times more than most new houses) and it retains the heat well. If it is a bit chilly, just cooking a breakfast or two usually heats the whole house up. Body heat contributes too. When both rooms are occupied, no extra heat is needed at all. Our heating/insulatiion design works better than we envisaged. In winter, when it is very cold, we put the underfloor heating on at a very low temperature and it keeps the house extremely warm. Mostly, in winter, we use the log burning stove as we have a constant supply of free logs from our wood behind us.
All our guests comment on how peaceful and quiet it is here. At night there is no noise at all. During the day you might hear a couple of horses trotting down the path or children walking through the woods from Illogan to visit the beach. The scenery from the terraces is ever changing according to the seasons but each change is as beautiful as the last one. The wildlife is all around us and it is not uncommon to see foxes, badgers and buzzards. They are always extremely interested in our chickens!
It is very sheltered here and that is why I have such an abundance of vegetables already. Guests have been eating home grown rocket, herbs and rhubarb (with the porridge) for some time and soon there should be home grown tomatoes too.
Once again, I am very happy you enjoyed your stay here and found the house comfortable and us welcoming. We enjoyed having you and answering your queries about the house build. Please visit again when you are in the area and I hope, by that time, we will have done some more work on the woodland walks.
Kind regards,
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

WOW is the only way to describe The Copper House it truly is an amazing place everything about The Copper House starting with Linda and Andys very very warm welcome and the freshly baked cream tea on arrival to the delicious breakfasts especially The Copper House special is first class? The room was very spacious spotlessly clean with fantastic decor the massive bed was unbelievably comfortable. Linda was a fantastic hostess and we have no hesitation in recommending The Copper House to our friends.
Roy and Brenda Morgans

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Hi Brenda and Roy
Thank you so much for all your kind words. We really appreciate it and the time and effort it takes to write a review. I am so glad you enjoyed your time here and you enjoyed all the facilities at The Copper House. The Copper House special, for breakfast, has proved very popular with our guests and I think it is the combination of delicious peppery home-grown rocket with chilli oil and the creamy goodness of our own chickens eggs on top of salty pancetta. My daughter and I developed the recipe on a rainy Sunday and I should really call it Jess's special. We loved it and knew immediately it was a winning combination
The bed is top of the range and because it is a superking it is really comfortable and roomy. I think everyone has loved it, even people with bad backs, and wanted to know what make of mattress it is. All I can say is it has cashmere and wool in its composition
Thank you so much for saying you would have no hesitation in recommending us to your friends. That is about as good as it gets. I hope we see you again too because you were both lovely and entertaining guests.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Spent 4 glorious days at the Copper House and was looked after by the lovely Linda and Andy.
The Coopper House is a place to stay when you need to get away from life's hetic pace. The facilities are 1st class and the fact you do not to have to get dressed to have breakfast is absoloutely marvellous. Our accommodation had a beautiful balcony that looks over the garden and down into the valley. Spent the evenings sipping a glass of wine and eating the chocolates that was left in the fridge by our hosts. You can also see the stars at night and if your lucky you will spot shooting stars. The selection of breakfasts on offer is excellent so if you are watching your weight or not this is the place to go as the food is sourced locally and is freshly cooked for you and the jams are homemade by Linda. I would definately recommend the Coppper House as a B&B for comfort, style, tasty food and two lovely hosts Linda and Andy

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Catherine,
I am so pleased that you managed to relax and enjoy your stay here. I know you were in need of some r&r and I am very happy you found that here at The Copper House. The night view here is as good as the day view. There are no distracting street lights and when you look up into the sky it is almost dizzying. The stars are amazing to view and we have had guests, on a warm summer's night, lay on the deck and just gaze upwards. They always report seeing at least one shooting star.As if sitting and sipping wine out of the fridge and smelling the honeysuckle in the evening was not pleasure enough, the stars and moon over the valley are icing on the cake.
As for breakfasts, I do make my own jams, marmalades, bread and butter. Hopefully sausages too soon. Anything I can't make, I source locally or grow. Trevaskis is our supplier of sausages (and they really are delicious) and Trotters our supplier of bacon. Rocket, herbs, tomatoes and eggs are from the garden and chickens respectively. We are lucky because we are very sheltered here and I have been growing lettuce and rocket all winter. I do hope we see you again and you were a pleasure to have as a guest, as was your friend. Best wishes
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I stayed for the third time at the Copper House for two nights as I was travelling in Cornwall on business. Linda and Andy were warm and welcoming and greeted me with freshly made cake and biscuits, coffee and tea. I wanted most to sink into the now familiar deep bath and then wrap myself in the warm towling dressing gown and sit on the terrace watching the sun go down to the sound of the birds.

I highly recommed the Copper House to anyone who loves nature and good design: if you enjoy walking, stop there for the night to rest. If you enjoy swimming in the sea, stay at the Copper House and enjoy the ten-minute walk down a quiet road to get there. If you like the idea of staying in a house as ecologically sound as you're likely to get, book a night or two, you won't regret it. There's something about that place ...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Hi Amanda,
How kind of you to write another review. I am so pleased your stay was as good the second time round and it is very flattering that you revisited The Copper House. You had good weather and it is wonderful just to sit outside and see all the bees and butterflies everywhere now that the garden is maturing. A very relaxing view I think and one that just can't help but make you feel tranquil. I think we probably have one of the deepest double ended baths in these parts and I'm glad you took advantage of it this time. Perhaps not as ecologically sound as a shower but the water is heated by the air source heat pump and hopefully, soon, the solar panels. So not too bad. You're right - there is something about this place and people seem to fall in love with it. I am glad the surroundings have worked their magic on you too! See you again soon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portreath
Penventon Park Hotel
#1 of 4 in Carbis Bay
The Lugger Hotel
The Lugger Hotel
#1 of 1 in Portloe

Been to The Copper House - Portreath? Share your experiences!